Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Today will be the first day we get to interact with people who aren't Elma.

I'm sorry in advance.

This guy basically goes on about how great he is. I'll spare you the details.

From "political aide" to "director general" in just a few weeks... At this rate, he'll be "emperor" by next month.

---

Show Interest - Ask who these two people are.
Look Puzzled - Wonder why they call Elma "ma'am."

---

Do we really care who these two are yet?

Specifically, the Special Operations Heavy Armor Training Unit...

oh dear god

I was a colonel and Irina a lieutenant--Gwin was a more recent recruit. Course, I keep telling them we don't need those old ranks anymore now that we're here.

And that's not about chain of command, either. It's about respect. You've earned it.

As you can see, Irina is very straightforward while Gwin is a goof. That said, both still have much respect for Elma as their former leader, even though they're now equals under BLADE.

THE survivor. I only found a single pod intact at Starfall Basin.

Come on, seriously? Chausson was never one to let the truth get in the way of a good speech.

They then briefly introduce themselves to us and then go back to work.

And with that, we now get control again. And that means...

CLICK THE MOTHERFUCKING LINK!!!

:siren: Music: NLA: Day :siren:

(Search results if this link gets deleted someday, probable spoilers)

XenoX has some great music in general, but it's a lot more atmospheric than anything worth linking, plus there's the usual dynamic changes, and the fact that the tracks have some really bonkers names (the text isn't messed up or anything, those are the actual track names), and it's not really worth posting most of the music.

New LA's Day theme is one of the few exceptions I'll make, because I freaking adore it. The best part is the Night theme is arguably equally as fantastic, but that one will wait until next update. For now, enjoy as I wander around this small area before the next cutscene trigger.

We can't explore yet, as Chapter 1 kinda has us on rails a bit, though there's still some people doing stuff to observe.

Blue bubble means you get a small dialogue box.

The white outlined figure means you can have more involved dialogue with that person. This guy's dialogue is a pretty generic "Welcome to New LA, new person!" greeting, but you get the idea.

The West Gate is closed due to the indigens, but we kinda killed the worst ones so it should open up again soon once plot allows it.

The incidental dialogue usually involves gameplay tips given to you or overhearing other people's conversations to add flavor.

Once we try to leave this area, cutscene stuff.

Of course, it's not a proper Xeno game without giant mechs.

Though this one isn't quite doing so hot.

Unfortunately, Dash Rendar Jr. blinks during the crash.

But that's fine, as something else has caught her eye...

Oh, it's just a kid driving a car.

Not very well, but that's kinda expected.

She flicks a switch, after which the pilot is able to be freed, upon which...

...he throws his helmet in anger.

Look, I know what exhaust smells like, and it was exhaust in the cockpit. Just check the duct work, would ya?
Oh, I'm checking. I just seriously doubt-- Hey, look at that! The intake/exhaust bypass is reversed.

So the kid can drive and is a mechanic, though she doesn't seem that great at either of those things right now...

Good thing you had a rugged pilot like Doug at the controls.
Oh, hey, Elma! How'd it go out there?

Cooooool...

---

Look Skeptical - Find out how old Lin is.
Look Worried - Find out what happened with the exhaust.

---

Dash Rendar Jr. isn't concerned so much about Lin's age, but more how she's the top mechanic despite making such an obvious mistake (and, yeah, looking so young).

Most of the time, that is. Most of the time.

After we clear all that up...

That sounds like a great idea.

Our party now has Elma and Lin. I hope you learn to love them, because despite there being a whopping eighteen possible party members, Elma and Lin are required for like 80% of all the quests in the game, including all of the story quests. Can't wait to rotate sixteen people between one slot...

Nothing else to do for now, so let's go ahead and take that transport.

Also it's storming now for no real reason.

There's four districts in New LA. The industrial district is where all the industrial stuff is. It's by far the least interesting of the bunch.

The commercial district has commerce. It's fun to wander around here, and a good amount of quests will happen here as well.

The residential district has residences, as well as a chapel and a park. It's also not very interesting, but at least it looks nice and has some more stuff going on than the industrial district.

The administrative district is going to be our main hub, as it'll be where we get our quests and our gear.

Our next destination is the barracks, but I'm going to spend the rest of the update chatting up the people in the administrative district.

Most of the NPCs here have an option to Inquire about stuff, or Discuss stuff, the latter usually being "Listen to the NPC complain about their dumb problems".

Stella doesn't really have anything interesting to say, complaining about people not liking General Director of Director Generals Chausshole and bringing up some odd structures in another region we'll inevitably investigate later. We do get our first glimpse on the affinity system, which can be easily ignored and only exists if you're really invested in how much various NPCs hate each other.

I'll show it off in a bit.

There's a few of these Field Actions in town, but we don't have a high enough level to Mash A to open them.

I love this bit character.

We learn a bit about being able to upgrade our combat arts and skills by spending points or whatever, but the Discuss option is much better.

And would you believe it? A real looker of a BLADE was standing right beside it. He was just my type! So I wonder if I could get Vandham to "coincidentally" assign us both to the same mission. Heh heh heh...

There's some great animations hidden with these NPCs, like this woman lecturing a wounded NPC while the guy next to them stares blindly into space. The crazy part is when we get near she just tells us some generic gameplay hint that's completely unrelated to any of this.

Armory Alley is where we can get armory.

She's also hiding some dark secret concern but refuses to share it with us. Oh well, not our business.

This woman talks about how some humans fear the xenoforms due to their previous unpleasant experiences, but she's excited to learn all she can. She then goes into being a former biologist on Earth that explains her passion for learning the unknown.

We won't be able to buy gear yet, which is fine.

This guy hangs out in front of the other gate, which is sealed off for now. He mostly complains about having to do his job as a BLADE and his dickhole boss.

I asked this woman about maps. I proceeded to learn things about maps. I'm not going to share those things here, though. If you want to learn more about maps, speak to Sarona yourself.

This is the town helper, an unofficial title that she's nevertheless very proud of.

Dash Rendar Jr.'s current shirt was pulled out of the guts of a creature.

You can change time, but you have to go to specific areas on the map to do so. I think XC1 let you do it anywhere from the menu, so this is a slight annoyance.

Beyond Armory Alley is the BLADE Barracks. We're not entering those today, though, because that guy's trying too hard to make "Skellin'" a word.

If I didn't have so many drat duties of my own, I'd march right up to him and spank him like the insolent child he is.

Now that we've talked to Trevor, yeah, I'm totally on Carl's side here.

Talking with Carl again doesn't bring up anything new.

Now that we've met enough people that hate each other, let's check this thing out.

You can see bios of the various NPCs, major and minor, and all their relationships to each other. It helps keep track of everyone, but the irony is it'll be hard to actually find anyone on here once this thing gets filled up.

I don't feel particularly compelled to keep up with this the way I do the collectibles. Forgive me for finding this game's vegetables more captivating than its characters.

This is the area where we'll get missions. We'll learn more later, as we're not part of BLADE yet.

This guy prides himself on being a tutor for new BLADE recruits.

They've been at all of this for only two months now, and already everyone seems to be going crazy and completely over it.

It's like we never truly left Earth.

Leave the city looking like that, and you'll be in some indigen's bellt before the gate clangs shut behind you. Not that you'd make much of a meal. If you're planning on doing any serious fighting, get your glutes down to Armory Alley and buy yourself some proper gear. ...Huh? What about me? Babe, when you're ripped like I am, gear don't make one bit of difference.

I really appreciate how bizarre these random NPCs are, and particularly how intolerable a large number of them are supposed to be. It's like real life, the majority of people you know will be obnoxious assholes.

Here we can maintain our mimeosomes, whatever the hell those are.

ok

...Really?

Besides that, though, Sherry does have a pretty good story to share.

It turned out to be an indigen that was just camouflaged as a flower. Thing attacked her out of nowhere--she's lucky she wasn't killed. I hear the poor girl is totally traumatized now.

I greatly appreciate this one.

Now that I'm writing this update and going through screenshot after screenshot of rear end in a top hat dialogue, I'm really appreciating how realistic this game is. They really nailed down the "joys" of living in society, even one that's possibly the last human civilization in existence.

The government is separate from BLADE. Which is fine with me, I'm not eager to deal with that General Dickhole guy if I can help it.

Normally someone in such a lofty position wouldn't have contact with the boots on the ground.

Nagi's our potential boss, so of course he's set up as a down-to-earth personality that's humble yet strong enough to fight for what he believes is right. You know, like pretty much every other good guy military leader archetype out there. We'll be meeting him next update.

Also I love Kirsty's ensemble here.

This is the perfect line of dialogue to end things on.

Next time, we finish up a brief Chapter 1 with some info dumps and more tours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Most of the recruitable NPCs half around 30%~50% of an actual personality between them. If they hadn't been determined to do the pseudo-MMO thing and try to make it look far larger than it actually is, they could have easily smooshed most of them together and gotten a core cast of actual characters out of it.

Also the NLA theme isn't terrible... at first. It gets kind of tiresome after the first ten or so hours you spend in the hub.

I'm just saying an unlockable jukebox or radio to flip the music around would have been nice.

Oh, and a note for those who haven't played the game: Remember that comment about dental floss outfits I made earlier? Nintendo made the wise decision to adjust Lin's models so that skimpy outfits have significantly more coverage so people couldn't be creepy about her. Naturally, the 'MUH CENSORSHIPS' crowd got huffy about not being able to stick a child in a g-string. They also took out the Breast slider during character creation around the same time, which I've always assumed was so that people couldn't just make their own creepily underdressed children to throw at unsuspecting people online.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

The best part is the Night theme is arguably equally as fantastic, but that one will wait until next update. For now, enjoy as I wander around this small area before the next cutscene trigger.

I hope there's people in the thread that haven't heard it. Their reactions will make this thread worth it.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

FeyerbrandX posted:

I hope there's people in the thread that haven't heard it. Their reactions will make this thread worth it.

Uh, yeah.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this thread is already worth it :colbert:

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
That town theme is... very intense for a town theme. Doesn't really sound like a secure place to wind down. Seems more like the background music to a montage of an expensive night out across different bars that ends somewhere in the woods with a hangover.

"Doctor"? I don't like those quotation marks; I don't trust that man.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Let me get back to you in 50 or so hours you jackass! :argh:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I like

Doug.

And not just for Phenomenon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

werbear posted:

That town theme is... very intense for a town theme. Doesn't really sound like a secure place to wind down. Seems more like the background music to a montage of an expensive night out across different bars that ends somewhere in the woods with a hangover.

"Doctor"? I don't like those quotation marks; I don't trust that man.

As a general rule, you should be wary of anyone who refers to their profession as "practice."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm imagining her not even changing her tone of voice when she says it, just grimly doing air quotes. And then refusing to acknowledge that she did so.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

---

Show Interest - Ask about registration
Look Away - Frown and say nothing.

---

Secretary Nagi!
Ms. Koo. Chipper as always, I see.

I ran into Doug Barrett on the way here, and he didn't seem quite so upbeat. Anything about today's flight I should know?
N-no...? Nothing to worry about.

There's a lot of boring text stuff here, so I tried livening things up with stupid facial expressions because I love doing that.

You may remember me as captain of the White Whale, but now I serve as Secretary of Defense here for New LA.

He then asks if we want to join BLADE, while Elma really dislikes the idea of pressuring us to join.

Also, New LA and BLADE has been established in the span of only two months. The idea is they've made significant progress, but still have a long way to go.

We'll have to do all three of these, so I'll do them in order, starting with arriving at Mira.

No one can know that, Elma. What we DO know is, without you, there'd have been no Project Exodus, and no escape, for any of us.

Also the game drops this little thing and just kinda ignores it and assume you will too, which you probably will because there's a lot of yapping going on.

That plan was the Earthlife Colonization Project. Otherwise known as Project Exodus.

You've heard this story before. The White Whale escapes the destruction of Earth and wanders for two years to find a planet hospitable for humans.

Earth wasn't enough. They wanted humanity destroyed.

Then they were attacked by one of the groups involved with the attack near Earth, and the ensuing battle blew apart the White Whale above Mira.

They were able to salvage the Habitat, which is what has become New LA. So considering the circumstances, things could be a lot worse.

I'm tired of backstory for now, let's get to killin' stuff already.

Yes there's an actual acronym for it.

Basically it was formed upon arriving at Mira to better organize restoration and military efforts. As mentioned before, it's a separate entity from the government, and performs planetary recon, military maneuvers, and even helping citizens with their stupid problems.

But there's one task that is currently the top priority for BLADE.

The White Whale was designed to carry an exceedingly large number of passengers, all of them held in stasis... All housed in a structure called the Lifehold.

And of course, some military, so we could defend ourselves if necessary. But the vast majority were in the Lifehold--ARE in the Lifehold.

This is pretty much the overall goal as far as the story goals, finding the Lifehold and saving the people within.

Now for the exciting part, registering to become a citizen of New LA.

We also ask you report any personal assets, and take a short survey regarding your current state of health. All purely as a precaution--I'm sure you understand.

Yeah, none of this really matters any.

That's enough talking for now, so instead we're going to get a tour of the Administrative District.

We also get our first Mission prompt, which is to follow the map marker and watch some cutscenes. Hooray...

The Barracks aren't terribly exciting. There's a meeting room and a cozy kitchen, and that's pretty much it.

So instead let's head outside and get this over with.

Yeah. Nagi must really, REALLY want her to join BLADE.

I'll spare you the voice acting for that part.

---

Clarify - Ask what a Skell is.
Geek Out - Gaze longingly at the Skell.

---

Dash Rendar Jr. wants to be large, and few things are larger than a big freakin' mech suit.

Aren't they just the cooolest?! Just everything about them! The lasers, the fore fields, the bipedal AND vehicular transformations?!

Yeaaah, you know what I'm talkin' about.

Hold on, I'll just pull it up here, one sec...

I don't know if the world is ready for Lin's Skell Fanfiction.

Skipping a bit, Skells were designed to combat galactic threats, though they didn't have much chance when the xenoforms came. Still, Skells were valuable in building up New LA to where it's currently at.

Of course, we can't get a Skell immediately. Getting one is supposed to be a big deal, there's only so many to go around, they only go to BLADE's best and brightest, blah blah blah.

Basically, we can't get one until we finish Chapter 6, so we've got awhile before we can ride around on giant robots.

Now for the actual tour. With control back, we now get to hear the night theme for New LA...

Music: NLA Night

I love this music just as much as the Day theme. It really gives New LA some flavor. Some loving weird flavor, sure, but flavor all the same.

This is where we get the majority of the missions in the game. There's quite a few, and I'll probably ignore a lot of them since some are dumb and pointless. I'll try to show off the interesting ones, though.

Still don't have a solid gameplan on all of that yet, but whatever.

That's what the Scout Console is for. We should show you that next.
Hey, who's giving this tour, anyway?

Aaaand Elma just said that, didn't she...

On to the Scout Console!

It's basically a multiplayer-ish component where you can recruit other players' characters to temporarily party with you. Maybe. I never bothered with this, and there's probably few avatars still here. I may muck around with it later, as honestly I know nothing about it.

Now, blowing money on stupid crap I don't need? That's something I'm an expert on!

Screw that. I'm going to buy what looks coolest, and cheat if things get too difficult. I think I can always just mod whatever gear I have on anyway. Fashion beats function.

Anyway, this is where you buy stuff. There's a lot more other parts to it, but at this point you can expect every aspect of gameplay to have twenty interlocking systems at this point.

That takes care of Chapter 1!

Next time, we intern for BLADE and accumulate data through violence.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

listen to the whole thing, you may think it has peaked and can't get any more.... more but you're wrong.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

erotic skellfiction

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019

Ratoslov posted:

erotic skellfiction

Insert Tab A into Slot B?

Mega64 posted:

There's a lot of boring text stuff here, so I tried livening things up with stupid facial expressions because I love doing that.

Also, those faces are less "stupid" and more "creepy", dear God... :stonk:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I'm happy they went back to normal awesome orchestral music for Xenoblade 2, but I unironically love the music in this game.

I didn't at first but it grew on me pretty quickly.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
My favourite part about BLADE is it's Japanese name: Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator. It's meaningless word salad nonsense and I love it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I like to believe that they devote multiple BLADE agents to giving a day-long tour and speeches to every single new human that is revived. Like, that's all Secretary Nagi does all day, every day.

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019

Schwartzcough posted:

I like to believe that they devote multiple BLADE agents to giving a day-long tour and speeches to every single new human that is revived. Like, that's all Secretary Nagi does all day, every day.

Welcome to NLA!

I like Skells.

Welcome to NLA!

I like Skells.

Welcome to NLA!

I like Skells.

(Repeat ad nauseum)

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
That night theme is very interesting and it sounds a bit more like a town theme than the day one. But not muck more.
I'm bad at genres but does it have aspects of country and R&B? The theme sounds very "American" as in the ingredients are American inspired but the combination is not.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game's soundtrack is weird as heck but I think I dig it.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

The game actually lets you equip two sets of gear - one for practical effect and one just for looks. Like everything else in the game, though, it’s documented three levels deep in a fairly dense electronic manual, so it’s hard to suss out.

Still, half the fun of any Xenoblade game is wandering around in a horrible, eye-searing amalgam of junk, so just roll for good numbers and go to town.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Oberndorf posted:

The game actually lets you equip two sets of gear - one for practical effect and one just for looks. Like everything else in the game, though, it’s documented three levels deep in a fairly dense electronic manual, so it’s hard to suss out.

Still, half the fun of any Xenoblade game is wandering around in a horrible, eye-searing amalgam of junk, so just roll for good numbers and go to town.

The problem with that is that it's actually hard to get a good clown suit going if you're not using the cosmetic slots for that purpose, due to a couple of mechanics that haven't been discussed yet. Not going to give anything away until they come up, but suffice it to say that once you hit a certain point not all that far in a drop needs to be very good to beat certain pieces of vendor gear.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Huh. Guess I’ve been in the postgame too long, where the drops are worlds better than any gear you can buy.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I played a lot of Xenoblade X. I remember almost none of it. Looking forward to this.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
God this LP is making me want to fire the Wii U up again and give this amazing and stupid game another go through.

With the setting it doesn't make much sense to me why you'd have to spend money to get combat equipment. But, y'know, rpg mechanics/tropes and all I guess.

I like Nagi. Idk. He's fairly boring but at least he is actually an older man in a jrpg and not a grizzled veteran at the tender age of 30.

That probably doesn't make up for wunderkind Lin in the long run.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thankfully we'll fit this entire chapter into just one update. Let's begin!

This may be my favorite pic so far.

Nagi's here to pass along a message from Elma's commanding officer, Commander Vandham.

"What in the hell are we waitin' for?!" ...As he put it.

---

Accept - Look into Nagi's eyes and nod firmly.
Refuse - Shrug your shoulders and shake your head.

---

While Refusing leads to a "But thou must!" showdown, Dash Rendar Jr. isn't one to waste time. She's a woman of action, after all.

So now we get our first mission.

They go on about FrontierNav, which is BLADE's surveillance network.

It also serves as the game's map system, though since this is the Wii U this map is kept on the tablet screen with no way to show it on the main screen. I'm not exactly interested in getting capture hardware for the tablet just to show off a hexagonical map, so this is the best you're gonna get.

This will be the first of many, many probes we'll be installing. A big part of the game is exploring regions and installing probes.

This time we'll get some extra probes and some cash for doing our job.

Best not to disappoint, then!

Since this is a training mission, we still can't do any BLADE stuff like take on side missions or buy gear. So there's no real reason to delay doing this.

Are we even sure the east gate will be open? Last I heard, it was still on lockdown from all the high-level indigen activity.
It was, but they just lowered the threat level earlier today. The gates are officially open for business. One of our teams must have gone out there and kicked some furry indigen butt, huh?

---

Boast - Suggest it was you and Elma.
Speculate - Suggest it was Irina and Gwin.

---

Not that Dash Rendar Jr. is one to be modest about her combat capabilities, but the grexes we killed were over by the West Gate, not the East. So logically it was someone else, perhaps Irina and Gwin?

Lin wonders how we knew Irina and Gwin, and Elma explains we met them earlier. It was a difficult decision for me to cut this dialogue out, so I'm sorry if you're upset over its exclusion.

I'll try not to take that personally.

The tablet now has the map and access to pretty much all options. Previously, all we could do was use emotes and play on the tablet. Now we have all the options available to us on the map, which is mainly looking around the map and using fast travel.

This guy is concerned about a new BLADE member named Mia. Alright, then.

I don't know why Dash Rendar Jr.'s default greeting is to sound like a pirate. I'm not really complaining, though.

I take this opportunity to look at our other characters' arts. Elma's focused on boosting critical hits, and she's also integral for setting up Stagger on foes.

Meanwhile, Lin is another source on inflicting Topple on Staggered enemies, so once we can switch classes we don't have to worry about losing access to Topple. She also has a focus on thermal damage, both inflicting and reducing it.

We can also choose to spend Battle Points to upgrade our arts, but I don't see the point until we get to our first class, which we can do once we hit Class Rank 10 as a Drifter.

For now, let's head out and complete our objective.

This guy has good advice. Let's grind a bit so we can get to the good stuff a bit sooner.

I do so for a bit. It's hard to see what you're fighting half the time, but it doesn't seem to really matter right now.

I also pick up a few more Collectibles, like spicy cherries that make you feel euphoric (Mondcherry), exploding heads of lettuce that you can only find when it rains (Sadelana Lettuce), and a dandelion whose seeds suck the heat from living things (Doga Dandelion). I'm really growing to love the effort they went to in making "Earth stuff but weird and deadly".

That beacon of light is our current objective. But before we get there...

You don't think...that one cinicula could have killed all these simius?

What's bad? I don't follow you.

Think about it: your typical simius is way higher up on the food chain than your typical cinicula, right?

Well, duh. Of course we all know that.

There was a cinicula tyrant not too long ago--but it was a couple of segments further out.

Well, yeah. As Elma explains, with FrontierNav still being worked on, they probably aren't aware of it.

---

Attack - Suggest killing the tyrant.
Inquire - Ask what a tyrant is.

---

what the hell is going on

Tyrants are really powerful enemies, usually with one special characteristic that makes it especially nasty.

---

Unite - Suggest the three of you can handle it.
Protect - Say you can't just leave it so close to New LA.

---

You think Dash Rendar Jr. is going to be scared of that stupid thing? Hell no. She's ready to kick its rear end!

Lin gives a speech about having to deal with these jerks anyway and protecting New LA and all that, while Elma's all about being careful and to scare it away if we can't beat it (which of course isn't an actual option, we can only kill the fucker).

I can't buy gear, so I'm wearing the best I've found so far, and I'm not gonna level up my arts until later.

The best thing about fighting tyrants is their battle theme.

Music: Uncontrollable (Tyrant Theme)

Fighting Tyrants is usually A Big Deal in this game, though not really so much here since this is still mostly tutorial.

That said, Volkampf is a couple steps higher than anything else we've faced so far. It loves dealing big damage and inflicting Stagger if you're too close, so it's wise to keep your distance a bit.

Something I had to learn the hard way. If your main character dies, you have thirty seconds to either be revived (which isn't really an option quite yet) or for your comrades to finish the fight.

Otherwise, you respawn a little bit away with no real penalties other than having to walk back to the fight.

I take the time to beat up some more things.

This time, I've got video to show things off.

Video: Tyrant - Volkampf, the Pursuer

During the grinding, I learned another art, Taunt. It basically aggroes the enemy to Dash Rendar Jr., which is not great right now because we're usually targeted anyway and we don't have enough options to mitigate that damage.

My goal was to target a couple of the legs to slow it down while mostly keeping my range. I come close to death a few times, but never actually die.

And with that, we've won.

The probe actually burrows itself underground. They tried just leaving them on the surface, but those kept getting messed up by indigens.

---

Launch - Show interest and launch the probe.
Persuade - Suggest Lin should take care of it.

---

Why wouldn't we do it ourselves?

With that, we're done.

But not before we get some sweet loot from that tyrant's guts.

Uh, thanks.

End-game tyrants are supposed to be dealt with using skells, but if you know what you're doing you handle them on foot just fine.

We've now got our real prize. And with that, we're done for today!

But you know what? Let's go ahead and get something out of the way. Which class should we jump into first?

Striker leads into Samurai Gunner/Duelist and Shield Trooper (Lin's class)/Bastion Warrior.

Commando leads to Winged Viper/Full Metal Jaguar (Elma's class) and Partisan Eagle/Astral Crusader.

Enforcer leads to Psycorruptor/Mastermind and Blast Fencer/Galactic Knight.

Don't ask me what any of those advance jobs do or what weapons they can use. That's all part of the fun! And also we can always swap classes if we really want to, but I'll probably stick to one for now.

Anyway, cast your vote here and I'll switch to the winner once I'm high enough rank to do so.

Next time, we finally join BLADE for real after listening to people talk for fifteen minutes about the major importance of a relatively minor mechanic.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The line for refusing Nagi is great, he follows up by asking if you'd turn down the people who saved your life. If you just mindlessly hammer no then Nagi uses the wording of the question to make it sound like you're agreeing to join.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Go with Enforcer so you can eventually get a cool laser sword.

Edit: Oops, missed the vote link in the update. Sorry.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Striker posted:

Choose this route if you want to go in guns blazing. Mixes offensive and defensive Arts and provides HP and melee-attack bonuses.

Don't use "guns blazing" to describe the melee class, translators. That's almost false advertisement right here.

(I voted for Enforcer which seems to have a laser pistol. I'm sure Dash Rendar Jr.'s papa would approve.)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm gonna vote Commando, since I saw "Partisan" in there and those are cool.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

werbear posted:

Don't use "guns blazing" to describe the melee class, translators. That's almost false advertisement right here.

(I voted for Enforcer which seems to have a laser pistol. I'm sure Dash Rendar Jr.'s papa would approve.)

Enforcer doesn't have a laser pistol, it has a massive energy cannon.

Oh, and while Enforcer says Knife, the Fencer branch switches to lightsabers. It's the class I went with and was absolutely worth it, for all that... well, getting ahead of myself again.

Regardless of the class chosen, the most important thing to do in the short run is to get as far away as you can from dealing Physical damage, because it's awful and gets resisted by practically everything.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think at the end of the day I was dealing ether with everything I was l using but the javelin.

Uncontrollable is great. Retweet if you are also pouring wine into your glass.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

"Earth stuff but weird and deadly" is a fantastic way to kill a bunch of explorers. Everyone expects big ol' animals to be aggressive. It's the poison and explosions and liquid nitrogen and whatever in pretty plants that sneak up on you when you let your guard down. Nobody expects the Spinach Inquisition.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Enforcer: let's keep balanced the party.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I like the sound of the "Galactic Knight" so I went and voted for the enforcer.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
While I like the ostentatiousness of "Astral Crusader", I see Enforcer is described as 'for professionals and tricky to master' which makes it the default LP choice to me

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

gently caress yes, this is my favorite Wii U game. I mean, it's the Wii U, so there isn't a lot of competition, especially since pretty much everything else on it is getting ported to the Switch because people actually bought that one, but still.

Anyway the online stuff is actually still available, it's just BLADE Reports that are gone, because that was tied in to the now-defunct Miiverse. The scout console is pretty well stocked too, not just with rando characters, but ones specifically meant to be hired out because they have drop-boosting gear. There's also online missions, but the online missions were always kind of poorly-done crap, because they're deliberately super piss easy so one player paying any attention can clear them, so other people are just overkill for the sake of it. Especially since there's no way to say "hey maybe don't bring your post end game super godslayer robot into this poo poo and vaporize everything before it can finish rendering."

The game also did have DLC in Japan, but it was just included in the American version. There are four characters that are DLC only, plus three Skells, and some special missions that give you giant piles of assorted rewards. The characters and Skells are now available normally, and the missions that give giant piles of rewards are now unlocked when you beat the game's final boss.

Also Mia is not a Blade. She requested a transfer to become a Blade despite being wildly unqualified for it. You will deal with all that stuff later. Maybe.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What are even the exclusives of note for the WiiU?
This game, Mario Maker*, Bayo 2, Wonderful 101, the list can't really be much longer.

*technically it's on 3DS too but I feel it should count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is a Wii U exclusive.

booksnake posted:

While I like the ostentatiousness of "Astral Crusader", I see Enforcer is described as 'for professionals and tricky to master' which makes it the default LP choice to me

It's difficult to utilize Knife/Raygun when your sweetass damage skills aren't available for most of the game, yeah.