Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

On the way back I found a pipe.

Let's report the thing we did.

Sorry we missed you last time--we could have come to meet you at HQ, you know.
Indeed. I suggested as much--twice.
And we know how much I enjoy being told what to do. Anyway, I hear you tangled with a tyrant WAY out of your league. On a training mission, no less.

Meet Commander Vandham. You can tell what kind of personality he has.

I like him.

Sorry the subtitles suck.

Well, I can't just ask Nagi to do everything for me--I'd be out of a job.
Hey, I delivered you the new recruit, didn't I?

I'm sure I'm needed elsewhere. If you'll all excuse me. Commander.

Heh. Look at you two. I swear, you're like two children excited about a new toy.
Look who's talking. I don't recall ever seeing you file a request to personally train a rescue before?
Is that so odd?
It is before we'd even ask her to become a BLADE, Little Miss Stick-in-the-rear.

Anyway, we then go into Commander Vandham's past as the Chief Engineer of the White Whale, and also that he's the top officer of BLADE.

So he's noticed.

Now we can finally get down to business.

---

Get Started - Ask about the assignment.
Get More Info - Ask about divisions.

---

Ugh, can we just skip this next part...?

We then proceed to get a lengthy rundown on what each division does. I'll go into all that in a bit.

Don't fret about it too much--whichever you choose, you still have a lot of freedom in how you operate.

As much as this game hypes this up (it spends like five minutes going over all the divisions), this is a really minor decision. It's a small buff and determines how we can grind yet another random number up.

Hesitate, and we have to listen to the whole spiel again. No thanks!

It's almost adorable how hard they hype this decision up for how insignificant it is.

Pathfinders' whole thing is installing data probes, so you get Division Points (which raise your BLADE level) for doing that and also discovering new locations. Division Support is mainly factored in when doing a lot of the online stuff, and doing stuff with other Pathfinders will boost your HP recovery. We'll meet the team lead for the Pathfinders later, and one of the DLC characters that was included with the English version is also a Pathfinder.

Interceptors are the defense, focusing on taking out indigens and protecting others. Their DP actions are pretty straight-forward, killing enemies and completing missions, while their support effect boosts damage from ranged arts. Gwin and Irina are both Interceptors, as is another recruitable character.

Harriers also attack indigens, but while the Interceptors are the defense, the Harriers prefer to take out dangerous targets ahead of time, preferring pre-emptive strikes. Defeating foes and tyrants raises DP, while their support boosts damage from melee arts. Doug is a Harrier, as is one of the DLC characters.

Reclaimers are all about recovering parts of the White Whale, and they're the ones in charge of finding the Lifehold. Opening wreckage and planting probes will raise DP, while their support increases the drop rate from enemies. Elma is the team lead of the Reclaimers, and another is a DLC character.

Curators are the scouts who first explore new areas of Mira, and also collect data on its fauna and flora. Killing tyrants and collecting collectibles will boost DP, with their support boosting Crit rate. There's two Curators we can recruit later.

Prospectors make use of Mira's natural resources to help maintain equipment and pretty much everything else in New LA. Mining resources and discovering locations boosts DP, while the support boosts defenses. Two of the recruitable characters are Prospectors.

Outfitters are dedicated to helping out the Arms Manufacturers, investing in them and using their products to ensure the best is available for BLADE. They get DP from investing Miranium into Arms Manufacturers and gaining R&D points, and their support boosts the points needed for the manufacturers to develop new weapons. Lin is an Outfitter, as is a DLC character.

Mediators serve to solve whatever dumb minor problems the citizens may have. DP is gained from completing missions and training scouted BLADEs, and their support restores Tension Points, which is used for reviving party members and using powerful combat arts. A couple of recruitable characters are Mediators.

So, which did I choose for now?

Using the scientific process of "Hold Up until I randomly select one", I end up being a Mediator. A solid choice for a silent protagonist!

YES STOP ASKING

You said it.

It certainly took long enough.

Now we can get our mission, where we have to check up on some missing Pathfinders. Simple enough.

Now we have the basics unlocked. We can buy gear, invest in Arms Manufacturers, build augments and new gear, and take on missions. Also, we officially have fast travel, which thankfully is pretty trivial.

We can also customize the barracks, though the only colors we can access are white, black, and varying shades of gray.

There's a whole online component to divisions.

Every day you'll get division rewards based on the rank of your division. Mediators were last, so all I get is vendor fodder.

They seem to fluctuate a lot, and I don't really know whether there's any rhyme or reason for any of this.

While heading out to the East Gate, I spy a new marker.

This woman goes on a long time in this really awkward manner, but hey, we're a Mediator I guess, so let's listen to what she has to say.

Cutting out a lot of stuff here, basically she got a request to help out a troop that has a damaged skell. She's not exactly geared for combat though, which is why she's asking us to deliver it instead.

Our reward is an eyepatch, so of course we'll do it.

Before we do so, let's shop.

I bought this because it looks cool. Naturally, you can also buy swimsuits. I opt not to.

Also I'm choosing to rock those goggles I got last update.

This is where we can get into the deeper aspects of gear management.

If your gear has traits, you can spend items to level them up. I do this with the Max TP Up because why not?

For now, there's only two arms manufacturers available, but this will climb up to eight as we progress in the game.

We can also create augments and develop gear, but we lack the resources to do either for now.

I fast traveled to where we planted the probe and fought the tyrant last update, as it's halfway between New LA and where we need to go.

Not that I had the safest journey.

Along the way, I find a Rizattice, a lizard that can't store moisture, a Rock-Orange, an orange that looks like a rock, an Assassin Springtail, a poisonous springtail, White Iron Sand, which is white iron sand, Deflection Shield Mirror, part of the White Whale's old defense system, and the Tractor Beetle, a beetle that is apparently a foot long.

As a BLADE, I now also have access to Collectopedia. Registering where the stars are nets an additional 2 Battle Points, and I think there may be rewards for filling in rows?

This is the lake we need to be at.

I even get a nifty augment!

And it looks like we found the guy with the damaged skell.

There we go.

Dash Rendar Jr. isn't one to be modest.

Certain party members will like certain responses better than others. Lin appreciates your confidence.

...even if Myles doesn't.

Anyway, the whimsical duoguill is still around, and Myles is concerned with letting it live when it's so close to New LA. So guess what we're doing next?

At least it doesn't look that tough...

Though looks can be deceiving. You want to keep your distance from this fella, as its electrical attacks are nasty.

Through a couple of attempts, I collect a Zesian Fleawort, grass that immediately regrows upon being cut.

On the third try, I keep my distance and end this duoguill's whimsy.

Dash Rendar Jr. is proud, but she's also supportive. We're all working together as part of BLADE, after all!

Myles has learned to take better care of himself, and we've stopped another threat.

The best part is it goes over her scarred eye.

While we're in the area, we might as well plant a probe!

Back in New LA, Myles has made it back safely, though he's a bit miffed with Satie's reaction and general demeanor. No clue where Satie went, so this will do it for now.

Next time, we might do a side mission or two before jumping into the main plot.

Also, if you have a preference, vote for which Division we should join for real. I can switch if you all prefer something besides Mediators. After all, it doesn't really matter!

As a bonus, the anagram combos for the first letters of the divisions.

pre:
Chimp Pro
Chip Romp
Chip Prom
Chirp Mop
Rich Pomp
Chomp Rip
Chop Prim
Porch Imp
Crimp Hop
Pic Morph
Chi Mr Pop
Chip Mr Op
Chop Pi Mr
Pic Hop Mr
Cop Hip Mr
Cop Phi Mr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Omobono posted:

What are even the exclusives of note for the WiiU?
This game, Mario Maker*, Bayo 2, Wonderful 101, the list can't really be much longer.

*technically it's on 3DS too but I feel it should count.

There's those and Super Mario 3D World, and the HD Gamecube Zeldas.

That's pretty much it, though. Even #FE is coming to Switch now.

Oh re: update, iirc I was in Pathfinders when I played this game, so I voted for that. I like exploring.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
[roll:1d8]=3

So, Harriers.

I went with Outfitters when I first played, because it is a universal truth that you need a bigger gun.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The division stuff is pretty half-baked to be honest.
I don't think there's any gameplay* reason to choose any other division than the one always getting top ranking because it has the most active players.

*Of course roleplay is a valid reason, but you'll have to accept lesser rewards.

E: Vandham is cool and a good boss. They recycled his name for a mercenary leader in Xenoblade 2 and that Vandham is cool too.
Are there other Vandhams in the Xeno series? I can't recall any from -gears and I have little knowledge about -saga.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 20, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Reclaimers because this seems like the sort of game where you're grinding for bug asses to upgrade your laser cannon or whatever and the drop rate boost sounds nice.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There are charts showing exactly how many Division Points you gain for different activities depending on what Division you're in, but it doesn't really matter. If you want to gain DP quickly, you join the Prospectors, because mining Miranium gives you big chunks of DP at regular intervals with no action required on your part.

As for the Collectapedia, yes, there's prizes for filling in categories and continents, and some of these are really important. Filling in some of them is a huge pain in the rear end, though.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Yeah, as far as I remember, Prospectors are best for getting DP and they're usually at the top of the rankings because they're so easy to get points for. Though, of course, they're not great for getting DP right now, at the beginning of the game.

Curators are usually up there, too, you tend to pick up a lot of collectables anyway.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
I'm pretty sure there was a Vandham (or extremely similar name) in Xenogears. He liked big, overpowered and slow guns.

The idea of companies doing arms R&D and sales is hilarious to me when there's like...what? 200 people in NLA? I can't remember if we got actual numbers but the population sure seems sparse. Both of the companies you've got access to right now are probably 1 or 2 people each holed up in some dingy makeshift workshop and because everyone is so desperate to pretend this is just like the real Los Angeles, except on a new and dangerous planet, they couldn't just say "Weapons by Bob".

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I happen to be rereading Id's LP, its Vanderkraum.

Its been so long since I've played it but drat does this game love itself all the points.

There's money, there's skill level up points, there's points to level your class (or is that the same?) There's unobtainum points, blade points, and I think at least one other thing I can't remember.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Vandham is something of a recurring character in the Xenoseries. It wasn't localized as Vandham for Xenoblade 1 but he's "square-tache" from the beginning of the game, and Xenoblade 2 has a playable Vandham.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Alxprit posted:

Vandham is something of a recurring character in the Xenoseries. It wasn't localized as Vandham for Xenoblade 1 but he's "square-tache" from the beginning of the game, and Xenoblade 2 has a playable Vandham.

Yeah, the Xenoblade 1 character is called Vangarre, and I believe Xenosaga has a character called Van Damme. It's kind of like Final Fantasy's Cid except a gruff, muscled military guy instead of an engineer.

Also, this LP got me to play this game again and start again. So thanks, I guess.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Leraika posted:

Reclaimers because this seems like the sort of game where you're grinding for bug asses to upgrade your laser cannon or whatever and the drop rate boost sounds nice.

I support this.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Your technique of holding up and pressing X at a random time seems like the kind of clear-headed leadership we need, so I'm going with the Mediators.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I went with Interceptors just because getting points for killing stuff and doing quests sounds like the most "just play the game" requirement.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

werbear posted:

I went with Interceptors just because getting points for killing stuff and doing quests sounds like the most "just play the game" requirement.

Same logic, but went with Harrier but that's honestly just a coinflip.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I went Curator for reasons I can't remember.

TP support sounds neat because all I wanted sometimes was 1000 tp, but I remember these supports being really annoying and minor in practice.

Or maybe that's just for us Curators.

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019
Pathfinders or Prospectors so that you can be a Porch Imp. Love that acronym.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I should note that the Prospectors were so dominant at launch that they had to heavily nerf their point generation just so other divisions could have a chance.

Anyways, now that the shops have opened up...

At low levels, the mod shop is amazing; the mods are generally useful, and they cost very little in the way of resources. The high-end stuff, however, is all a horrible, horrible grind. Low level melee damage mod? Have a nice boost that'll stay relevant for a good while, for the low, low price of a handful of pig butts. Want the postgame stuff? Have fun farming fifty drops off of three separate mobs, loser.

Heaven help you if you want something fancier than a flat attack boost.

I said it before, but you should absolutely hack that stuff in when you get to that point.

As for gear, all of the developers have their own specialties; both in the elements their gear favors, and the baked in mods. There's not a whole lot of difference now, as there's only two unlocked and they're both at level 1, but as they level their weapon selection broadens(giving more elemental diversity in your chosen weapon) and everything they make gets more and better baked in mods.

Max level Sakuraba Heavy is fantastic and will carry you through most of the main game by itself(just mind the Gravity attacks).

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Unoriginal One posted:

At low levels, the mod shop is amazing; the mods are generally useful, and they cost very little in the way of resources. The high-end stuff, however, is all a horrible, horrible grind. Low level melee damage mod? Have a nice boost that'll stay relevant for a good while, for the low, low price of a handful of pig butts. Want the postgame stuff? Have fun farming fifty drops off of three separate mobs, loser.

Christ I remember trying to make an endgame build that needed three +200 TP gain mods. They each needed 32 of a drop from an enemy that you can only fight one at a time. Meaning I needed at least 96 fights with this one enemy to get one part of the build done.

XCX is an amazing game, but good golly gently caress whoever thought MMO-tier grinding was integral to the experience.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Nice to know I was absolutely correct about bug asses.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Christ I remember trying to make an endgame build that needed three +200 TP gain mods. They each needed 32 of a drop from an enemy that you can only fight one at a time. Meaning I needed at least 96 fights with this one enemy to get one part of the build done.

XCX is an amazing game, but good golly gently caress whoever thought MMO-tier grinding was integral to the experience.

But wait, there's more!

The game has the kindness to give you a list of monster drops, so you can at least figure out what you need to kill to get the thing. What it does not tell you is that some of the drops are conditional on destroying certain body parts. So if you want to get something, you need to break a specific part to have a chance for it to drop. Oh, you didn't know you need to shatter the Dongle Sac to get Dongle Fluid to drop from this enemy so you never do because it's a pain in the rear end to reach? Ha ha, sucks to be you buddy!

The good news is that there's a way around it. You can earn tickets from the online stuff via methods that I may get into if I remember once that's unlocked after this chapter, and then spend that on various enemy drops, so you can technically get anything without a problem. The bad news is that the ticket drop rates aren't super great, so it's kind of a last resort thing, and since this console and its save file are "altered" I don't know how well that'll all shake out. But since it's "altered," gently caress it, just hack in the tickets because it's an LP and I don't expect you to grind for however the gently caress many hours it takes to get the bits to make the post end game gear.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

MechaCrash posted:

But wait, there's more!

The game has the kindness to give you a list of monster drops, so you can at least figure out what you need to kill to get the thing. What it does not tell you is that some of the drops are conditional on destroying certain body parts. So if you want to get something, you need to break a specific part to have a chance for it to drop. Oh, you didn't know you need to shatter the Dongle Sac to get Dongle Fluid to drop from this enemy so you never do because it's a pain in the rear end to reach? Ha ha, sucks to be you buddy!

The good news is that there's a way around it. You can earn tickets from the online stuff via methods that I may get into if I remember once that's unlocked after this chapter, and then spend that on various enemy drops, so you can technically get anything without a problem. The bad news is that the ticket drop rates aren't super great, so it's kind of a last resort thing, and since this console and its save file are "altered" I don't know how well that'll all shake out. But since it's "altered," gently caress it, just hack in the tickets because it's an LP and I don't expect you to grind for however the gently caress many hours it takes to get the bits to make the post end game gear.

And there's also a few mobs where the parts you want to break are hidden and you have to break one or more other parts in order to make them vulnerable, which can require other mods so you don't kill the mob in the process of breaking the first parts.

And don't get me started on the niche stuff like resistance mods; one of the reasons the most popular post-game setup was as widespread as it was was because you could skip out on having to farm for hours to get a resist set up and running.

And while we're on the topic: The online stuff which, from what I'm gathering, isn't really there any more.

When you join BLADE, and when you load in from the title screen, you get the option of getting stuffed into either a casual channel, or a channel that does the various missions that used to pop up occasionally. The characters of the people on the same channel as you, as well as those belonging to people on your friends list, would be placed at various locations in the world; primarily in the barrack's console room, with a handful from your friends list standing just outside of it, and a random selection out in the world, just standing around out in the middle of nowhere. Talking to them would give you their selected greeting line, and the option to either recruit them as a temporary party member or get their Division's buff for a while.

Now, occasionally, the game would fire missions at everyone on the channel; a list of mob types to kill or collectables to gather at the bottom of the screen along with the channel's quota; some missions would ask for something very general, like 'kill bugs' or 'gather plants', some would ask for a specific category of mob, and others would require a specific collectable, mob type, or Tyrant. Killing/collecting the things in question would give you tickets, along with a small bonus to everyone on the channel when the quota was met. Meeting quotas also unlocked group missions, which were first come, first serve deals that gave out additional tickets as a reward, along with another small channel-wide bonus. Meeting all of the quotas within the time limit (40-60 min) would give a good chunk of tickets to the channel, and finishing all of the missions on top of that would give an even larger bonus.

Which brings me to the superboss missions, which would pit everyone in the game against one of two superbosses with astronomical HP totals in eight minute bouts to do as much damage as you could while trying to stay alive. While the intended goal was to take as much HP off as possible, the superbosses had a large number of breakable parts that could be turned in for large piles of tickets; so what people would do was go into the bosses, use a Skell to burst off all of the parts, quit the mission, and repeat until they had what they wanted.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

That's more or less how it works, yeah, but it doesn't get unlocked until the end of chapter 5. It's still there, but modified consoles and all that.

The superboss is supposed to result in even bigger rewards if it's killed, but to the best of my knowledge this never happened legitimately on American servers because there just weren't enough people. Which is too bad, because the superboss stuff was the only online stuff actually worth doing with other actual players.

As for the channel stuff, the theory is that you can join either "I don't give a gently caress about the online stuff, I'll do it if I run across it and it's not too hard maybe" groups, or "I will actively seek out and obliterate the thing to get the tickets and unlock the missions" groups, but that required people to not blindly mash through the startup stuff so it wound up seldom working that way.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The channel stuff did have a neat thing where you could take unwanted loot and toss it to a random player in the channel, then they had the option to take it themselves or keep passing it on if they didn't need it. I found it cute.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

MechaCrash posted:

That's more or less how it works, yeah, but it doesn't get unlocked until the end of chapter 5. It's still there, but modified consoles and all that.

The superboss is supposed to result in even bigger rewards if it's killed, but to the best of my knowledge this never happened legitimately on American servers because there just weren't enough people. Which is too bad, because the superboss stuff was the only online stuff actually worth doing with other actual players.

As for the channel stuff, the theory is that you can join either "I don't give a gently caress about the online stuff, I'll do it if I run across it and it's not too hard maybe" groups, or "I will actively seek out and obliterate the thing to get the tickets and unlock the missions" groups, but that required people to not blindly mash through the startup stuff so it wound up seldom working that way.

I saw it happen a couple of times after they heavily nerfed the HP totals, but from what I can vaguely recall what happens is that one type of brake drop turns into some kind of high-end superboss mat, but every other part automatically gets turned in for one ticket each. So more of a "reward" than a reward.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Next update is recorded, should be up in a day or two. Just a few more small quests and a good bit of exploration.

I love the tyrant names. Needless to say it kicked my rear end. Everything's kicking my rear end. Just unlocked Enforcer though so soon I should be enforcing the law of the BLADE.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

Next update is recorded, should be up in a day or two. Just a few more small quests and a good bit of exploration.

I love the tyrant names. Needless to say it kicked my rear end. Everything's kicking my rear end. Just unlocked Enforcer though so soon I should be enforcing the law of the BLADE.

I got somethin' to tell ya... I don't know how to explain it... but I'm different.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Update tomorrow

https://mp4.mega64.net/xcx/u008/118.mp4

because I feel terrible about this.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You should, you monster.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Woo!

...Woo.

There's a few types of missions in this game. Basic Missions are, well, basic. You just do simple stuff like "Talk to X", "Kill X", or "Gather X Grex Asses" or whatever. A few of these are hints that will lead to other various missions, and I think a couple are even required to unlock other missions, but otherwise these aren't very interesting and I'll likely skip all of them that aren't pre-reqs.

Yellow bubbles are hints that lead you to quests. They'll helpfully point out the location of where to start the quest on your map, which you'll have to trust me on since I can't show it.

Kirsty has a Normal Mission available for us. It's a handy one to learn some stuff, so let's take it on.

She tasks us with installing more data probes.

There's actually several types of probes. Mining probes will mine miranium, a secondary resource we'll use for various things.

Changing a probe is pretty simple, as all you have to do is tap on the icon in the map and select "Change Probe". The description will even tell you basic rankings, so you can see whether you'd be better off installing, say, a mining probe over a research probe. I go ahead and do so since that's a requirement, so all I have to do is go to two other probe sites and install mining probes.

While I'm out, I run across a couple of BLADEs who are dealing with a problem.

Basically, a member of their crew has gone missing. Nathan wants to head back and regroup, while Monica wants to head out and find their missing comrade.

---

Rescue - Declare that, if it was your team, you'd search for your missing teammate immediately.
Retreat - Repeat the mantra of safety first and recommend they retreat and regroup.

---

Dash Rendar Jr. is a woman of action, and she's not one to sit around while one of her fellow BLADEs is in possible danger.

It doesn't really matter because we're the ones who have to find him. It's close enough, so why not?

I also begin hunting random wildlife because I want to get up to my first class change.

I got a sweet quantlet (is that intentional...?) that matches my armor. I don't find a matching quantlet, but if anything that makes Dash Rendar Jr. just look more badass.

This is Roof Rock. You can actually climb up here, albeit a bit awkwardly.

It's a nice view, though I'd love a higher view myself.

I also grab a Meteo Eater, a beetle that eats meteor shock waves. Your guess is as good as mine!

I also shoot whatever this thing is.

This is where Conner is supposed to be.

They really knock this first area out of the park with the bizarre landscapes and massive enemies. It's quite the experience to explore this world, and I'm glad I managed to forget most of the exploration of this game from last time so I get to re-experience it all over again.

While we're here, let's knock out another probe. They give us some passive benefits and highlight possible points of interest in the surrounding hexes, plus some quests require us to explore a minimum percentage of a specific region, so there's no reason not to activate them whenever possible.

I do a good bit of dying through the course of this update.

I grab some more collectibles in the meantime. The Multi-speckled Ladybug gains dots as it ages and hates music for reasons, while the Vagabond Ant are nomad ants that travel alone, weird as that seems.

Filling a row nets a nice reward. I don't know what this is, but I'll take it!

Oh yeah, I finally get around to finding Connor.

You can tell Conner whether it was Nathan or Monica that was concerned about him. Monica was the one who pushed to rescue him, so she's the obvious answer.

We're not done yet, as we have to fetch his comm device that he dropped while running away. Yeah, whatever.

We knock out another probe along the way, finishing up that mission.

The red data point is what we're after. Naturally, it's right in front of some high-level grexes that will gladly aggro on us if they see us.

Also I accidentally fall off and have to climb back up.

After grabbing it and making a mad dash outta here, we return the drat thing.

Our reward is a nice tank top that we can rock once we get back to the city. A tank top is not really going to protect us out here for now!

Also finishing that mission unlocks another mission fron Conner.

Basically it's to kill the indigen that Conner and his crew were supposed to kill, until they didn't.

For now, let's report back to Kirsty.

We're not done yet. We have to go somewhere else and install a research probe, then discover Rock Cavern.

We had already installed a probe at this location, so all we have to do is find Rock Cavern.

It's a cavern made of rock.

And a bunch of nasty aggro enemies.

Luckily death is meaningless, so I explore anyway.

Naturally, I die.

Research probes net cash. In a fun bit of lore-building, the citizens of New LA can use the research probe to virtually explore the areas we install them in, which is how the Rock Cavern becomes a great sightseeing spot despite no one traveling there because of all the murder beasts around.

Storage probes are another probe type, and they simply boost the maximum amount of miranium you can hold.

Anyway, that's another mission done.

For now, I go back to killing for fun and sport and to raise my class level. Along the way, I pick up my first Aura, which boosts my party's evasion and HP regeneration. However, it costs 1000TP, which we build up by doing actions, so we can't just spam it like we do other combat arts.

More beautiful scenery shots.

This is the foe that kicked Conner's rear end.

It also kicks our rear end.

You can also spend TP to revive a fallen character, as Elma does here for me on another attempt.

After a few attempts, I decide to put it off for now. Might be a good idea to class change first, at least.

Since I don't have anything else on the docket, I opt to simply explore instead. If nothing else, there's always great scenery out there.

And of course more beasties to slaughter.

We're not high-enough level to wear these pants.

You can't extract stuff from water...

...which is why we have to get on land and leap onto it. Got a nice augment, at least!

Look at this adorable Pit Terebra.

I slaughter it.

Lin uses shields, and it'd be a nice upgrade if she had the levels to use it.

https://mp4.mega64.net/xcx/u008/118.mp4

I feel terrible about this.

...Mostly.

More exploring, and I find a tyrant with a wonderful name.

It starts off kinda manageable...

But it exploits my greatest weakness, rushing attacks.

My last major combat encounter is with sevearl young grexes.

Lin tries to aggro them all at once, and while she makes a valiant effort in staying alive far longer than I expected her to, she eventually goes down.

Fortunately, Elma and Dash Rendar Jr. are more than enough to handle the scraps.

And most importantly, I finally max out the Drifter class.

Enforcer won by a land-slide, so that's how we're gonna go! We keep our Knife, but now get to use Rayguns.

We keep our two knife combat arts, Slit Edge and Chrome Armor, and also the Recuperate aura we learned earlier this update. Our new gun attack also likes auras.

Seems as good a time as any to upgrade our weaponry, as well.

Next time, I'll probably do another batch of side missions and play with our new class before we get back to the story. Maybe, who the hell knows what I'll do?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yeah forgot caves got their own music. Not quite as :wtc: as NLA night theme but still strange. Usually an unwelcome change from the overworld music though.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Is taking a picture of the GamePad with a camera or something an option? I wouldn't want to do a whole LP that way (unless it's doing a bit), but throwing in the occasional picture of the screen to show us what stuff looks like should be fine.

That "Grenada Medium (Female)" thing you picked up from filling a row in the Collectapedia is a decoration you can set up in the base. There's a back room where you can display various holograms, and the thing you picked up is one of them.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
By the by, the first link leads to chapter 4 and the other links seem to not work at all

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Potential I know mostly assists TP-spending combat arts.

As in it's the primary stat they use for damage.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Watching this LP has been very cathartic so far. I played this game for over 30 hours when it came out and I was able to comprehend maybe a third of what I was doing. Using TP to revive allies? Soul voices? No clue.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
I put in over 100 hours and I never was able to understand or master soul voices. I knew they were a thing and you could set different things to change different things but I'm pretty sure I did everything wrong because the mechanics in this game are ridiculously obtuse.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Soul voices weren’t too hard. The speech balloons for the calls are colored. If you use a matching color art while the speech balloon is up, you get a decent full-party heal. Don’t remember if the art is boosted. I think there’s a small TP boost, too.

There’s an option in the menu to fuss with the soul voice call outs for each character, so you can have them call out the colors of the arts you like to use.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also if you have the right colored art set it pulses while the window to use it is active.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Something that doesn't come across in images is that sprinting in this game feels amazing. No special requirements or stamina meters, you just push the stick in and you move. Which is good, considering how much time you spend on foot.

Survivability starts going up a fair bit once you get enough resources into Sakuraba to unlock their heavy armor line; being the physical-type manufacturer means their stuff has both physical resist and is tied for the second highest armor rating, and picks up HP mods as they're leveled further. It's real good, is what I'm saying.

And, while it hasn't come up yet, I may as well toss it out while I'm here: Each species of mob that drops armor will always* drop that specific set of armor, with higher level variants naturally dropping higher level gear from that set. If something drops "Busted" gear, it means you either don't have the manufacturer unlocked yet, or you haven't leveled them up enough to have them offer the item in question. It should be noted that this only applies to armor, some species only drop weapons and are completely indiscriminate while doing so, making getting something usable a bit of a crapshoot, and machines and huge mob species typically(but not always) drop Skell gear.

*The drop tables are changed up a bit for some lower level mobs, as some manufacturers don't offer gear in their level range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You can fiddle with the specifics for your own soil voices, but the NPC party members are fixed.

Soul voices are pretty simple: it's a series of "when THING happens, hit the prompt for BONUS." Like "when an enemy part breaks, use a melee attack to get powered up auras" or whatever, and there's also a heal. This is the main source of healing in the game, and while there are healing abilities, they aren't necessary and you can roll without them.

This is explained in a series of promotional videos. There's four, they're about half an hour each, and they're only available in Japanese. The official English versions are a third as long each, if that. I routinely see streamers not understanding this mechanic, and it's really loving important, and I don't know how much if that is on the streamer for not reading things or the game for not explaining itself. But given how much the game itself tends to tell you, I tend to blame the game being obtuse as gently caress.