Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
This is the thread for the Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?! (Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!) anime! Shortened to Noukin in Japan.

quote:

When she turns ten years old, Adele von Ascham is hit with a horrible headache–and memories of her previous life as an eighteen-year-old Japanese girl named Kurihara Misato. That life changed abruptly, however, when Misato died trying to aid a little girl and met god. During that meeting, she made an odd request and asked for average abilities in her next life. But few things–especially wishes–ever go quite as planned.

The anime will be directed Masahiko Oota, known for Love Lab, Yuru Yuri, GabDrop, and Himouto Umaru, so a pretty good track record comedy-wise.

Our cast:

Mile/Adele von Ascham/Misato Kurihara voiced by Azumi Waki.
Currently going under the name of Mile for reasons, basically our isekai-ed MC who is also a huge dork. Big fan of Aura Battler Dunbine.

Reina voiced by Sora Takui
The mage of the party calling herself Crimsom Reina, specializing in fire magic.

Mavis voiced by Fumiko Uchimura
The swordsman of the party, aspiring to become a knight. Big sword nerd in general.

Pauline voiced by Masumi Tazawa
A merchant's daughter who wants to become a mage. Is here to make money.

For the record, I thought episode 1 wasn't the greatest start, but the start of the story is kinda awkward in all the versions anyways. For context, the anime skips the first half of volume 1 and is basically an original story, so they had to shoehorn in a lot of info that was gradually doled out in the LN. To be fair, the manga does this too, and it's equally as awkward, basically both adaptations rushing to have the main cast together immediately. The stuff that got skipped over is pretty important though, and they already revealed that characters from that part will be in the anime, so please avoid talking about LN stuff since there's a good chance it'll be adapted anyways at some point in the season. Also making the nanomachines into a mascot is weird, but I guess Mile does do a lot of internal monologue, so I guess that's their reasoning for it.

Other reasons to watch this anime: the party is a bunch of dorks

https://i.imgur.com/3PzH2O4.mp4

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They could of still kept the Nano's the way they were in the LN and have one be mascot

(Yeah I know I'm be harsh but I found this version to be the worst of the three for being awkward, rushing through stuff and also some of the humor was a bit too crude)

Still looking forward to the show and hope this was just trying to do too much at once

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I actually found this episode hilarious, and it was a good way to show off how dorky Mile is, introducing the rest of the team, and ultimately showing how the 4 of them will be related to each other. I got a feeling it's going to jump back in time soon though.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm a big fan of the novel (as well as FUNA's other works), and have been following the WN raws as they come out for a couple years now.

Not sure how well it'll ultimately translate to anime, though. The novel's fairly heavy on narration, puns, and japanese internet memes. The first episode shows they're certainly willing to do their own thing, so I guess we'll see how that works for them.

It looks very good visually, if nothing else.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

2nd episode is like an entirely different and better show, much closer to what i was expecting out of this

still dips into memes/references a bit too much though when it shouldn't need to, dunno if the source material is like that

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 14, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mile's just an average nerd.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The source is very much full of references and memes

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
This adaptation is just so good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I said Mile was a big Dunbine fan in the OP for a reason. Mile’s just a big nerd in general though, so references shouldn’t be too surprising. 2nd episode was more what I was expecting so I’m glad they got the party dynamic down

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eagerly hoping the show gives us the Nanoha references the LN has

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
As someone who hasn't read the source material, I thought the 2nd episode for this was really funny and a lot better than the first.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Dorks all of them

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Second episode was paced better and had snappier gags and also followed the source a bit more

Not sure i like the anime original bad guys from the first episode still being around though

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Allarion posted:

Dorks all of them

Do you think you can bribe me, Average Isekai?
(Yes, booze, candy, and quality Sentai gags are all acceptable. Pleasure doing business.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I do enjoy the running gag where she thinks fifth in any group, including the entire world, is far enough from the top to be average.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, the way this show has started off has not endeared itself to the more anime only crowds out there. It comes across as way too standard issekai for them, including a bunch of really ham-fisted boob-jokes that I don't remember from the LN. At least as far as I remember, FUNA is fairly restrained on them.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I was kind of wondering if the joke was that it's an average isekai

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
It is the Lay's Potato Chip of the season for me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

See Mile, if you raise the level of all your fellow party members, you will stand out less. Relative to them, at least. Don't lower yourself to the average, raise the average towards you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
God, the plot is just barreling forwards and once again the anime-only villains steal the spotlight from an otherwise interesting encounter.

Why are they doing this to my baby?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

maybe putting the uzamaid team on this series was a bad idea

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
At least the creepy villains are away in prison properly, and now our heroes can go on quests rather than establish setting?

I also misread the thread title as 'Avengers Isekai Anime' and got confused for a second.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Elfface posted:

I also misread the thread title as 'Avengers Isekai Anime' and got confused for a second.
Admittedly a better premise for the avengers than the movies we've gotten. :v:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the anime version of the graduation fight was a pretty huge step down from the light novel. Just have the dorks overpower a hapless and innocent B-Rank party was so much more funny than this

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The last guy just legging it was pretty funny.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

As someone who’s never read the source material, I’m enjoying this a lot. I honestly can’t tell which parts of it were adapted and which are anime-original.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Sindai posted:

The last guy just legging it was pretty funny.

That got a genuine lol out of me.

Really hope we don't see that noble anymore, her weird poop hair upsets me every time I have to look at it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elfface posted:

When you think about it, the last Avengers movie is basically an isekai.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The start of Mine's fight is Gif Gold. And so was the team name reveal.

But that bluntly unceremonious time skip almost felt disrespectful. Like, you could have just put some text on the screen saying "6 months later" instead of that weird passive-aggressive elbow nudge that they pulled. Or, you know, have content.

Overall, the show is still painfully average. There's a few great moments but so much of it feels just kinda... meh. It never feels like it's getting to its potential.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Amazed the anime still hasn't explained why Mile wants to be average when it's a key part of why she decides to join a team

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I will never get tired of Pauline's true nature

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Amazed the anime still hasn't explained why Mile wants to be average when it's a key part of why she decides to join a team

Presumably its so she can improve their abilities, therefore making herself look more average in comparison

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Namtab posted:

Presumably its so she can improve their abilities, therefore making herself look more average in comparison

Well in the light novel Mile wants to be average cause she was considered a genius by her family and school mates so she ended up getting left alone alot. So having the Crimson Vow stick with her means they're her first real friends

The Pauline stuff was good this episode but the back half pacing felt off.Not having Mile do the scan to set up and ambush like the light novel made it feel flat also again the anime added in extra service

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's been enough shuffling and extra bits added in that it's probably best to treat it as its own loose adaptation. I still think we'll get a flashback to some degree to the first arc though, presumably combined with a certain side-story where it'd make sense. My guess is we'll get arcs for each party member's backstory and maybe conclude with Mile's stuff, without touching the lore meta-plot the LNs are following. But yeah, at this point, they're probably gonna cut a lot of Mile logic so you don't get the full details about her reasoning and the ridiculous stuff she crafts, outside of her moments where she elaborates on some science.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It keeps on creepin' and leaves out my favorite interactions for more creep.

Do they have no faith in the source material or something?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

They'd rather show a fourteen year old in gym clothes apparently

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Info dumping everyone's backstory in one episode including Pauline's which lead to one of the better LN arcs sure was a thing the anime did huh

I kinda of really hate this adaptation

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well at least we finally got an explanation for the nanomachines being a mascot. I didn't dislike the episode, though I do feel like having backstory leading into arcs would have been more natural than just cramming it all into one episode though.

Also for those wondering, yeah Mile's flashback was basically most of Vol. 1 that got skipped initially, though sped up so missing interactions between Mile and the Wonder Trio as well as closure about some other bits. The anime's been avoiding a lot of the nitty gritty details of the politics with Mile's family and stuff, so I also wonder if they'll return to that or just leave it unsaid. It's been skipping or glazing over a lot of the little details like how the nanomachines work and Mile logic, just leaving it up to inference for the viewers, so I dunno how effective that has been for anime-only people.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This was such a big improvement that I kinda consider it a good episode.

I think putting all of the backstories into one episode was unavoidable, but I am still pretty let down by this as an adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Not read the novels, but compared to the manga Mavis isn't gay enough. She was imagining herself rescuing and marrying a princess, and she deserves that in animated form too.