Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
This is the thread for the Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?! (Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!) anime! Shortened to Noukin in Japan.

quote:

When she turns ten years old, Adele von Ascham is hit with a horrible headache–and memories of her previous life as an eighteen-year-old Japanese girl named Kurihara Misato. That life changed abruptly, however, when Misato died trying to aid a little girl and met god. During that meeting, she made an odd request and asked for average abilities in her next life. But few things–especially wishes–ever go quite as planned.

The anime will be directed Masahiko Oota, known for Love Lab, Yuru Yuri, GabDrop, and Himouto Umaru, so a pretty good track record comedy-wise.

Our cast:

Mile/Adele von Ascham/Misato Kurihara voiced by Azumi Waki.
Currently going under the name of Mile for reasons, basically our isekai-ed MC who is also a huge dork. Big fan of Aura Battler Dunbine.

Reina voiced by Sora Takui
The mage of the party calling herself Crimsom Reina, specializing in fire magic.

Mavis voiced by Fumiko Uchimura
The swordsman of the party, aspiring to become a knight. Big sword nerd in general.

Pauline voiced by Masumi Tazawa
A merchant's daughter who wants to become a mage. Is here to make money.

For the record, I thought episode 1 wasn't the greatest start, but the start of the story is kinda awkward in all the versions anyways. For context, the anime skips the first half of volume 1 and is basically an original story, so they had to shoehorn in a lot of info that was gradually doled out in the LN. To be fair, the manga does this too, and it's equally as awkward, basically both adaptations rushing to have the main cast together immediately. The stuff that got skipped over is pretty important though, and they already revealed that characters from that part will be in the anime, so please avoid talking about LN stuff since there's a good chance it'll be adapted anyways at some point in the season. Also making the nanomachines into a mascot is weird, but I guess Mile does do a lot of internal monologue, so I guess that's their reasoning for it.

Other reasons to watch this anime: the party is a bunch of dorks

https://i.imgur.com/3PzH2O4.mp4

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I said Mile was a big Dunbine fan in the OP for a reason. Mile’s just a big nerd in general though, so references shouldn’t be too surprising. 2nd episode was more what I was expecting so I’m glad they got the party dynamic down

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Dorks all of them

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I will never get tired of Pauline's true nature

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's been enough shuffling and extra bits added in that it's probably best to treat it as its own loose adaptation. I still think we'll get a flashback to some degree to the first arc though, presumably combined with a certain side-story where it'd make sense. My guess is we'll get arcs for each party member's backstory and maybe conclude with Mile's stuff, without touching the lore meta-plot the LNs are following. But yeah, at this point, they're probably gonna cut a lot of Mile logic so you don't get the full details about her reasoning and the ridiculous stuff she crafts, outside of her moments where she elaborates on some science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well at least we finally got an explanation for the nanomachines being a mascot. I didn't dislike the episode, though I do feel like having backstory leading into arcs would have been more natural than just cramming it all into one episode though.

Also for those wondering, yeah Mile's flashback was basically most of Vol. 1 that got skipped initially, though sped up so missing interactions between Mile and the Wonder Trio as well as closure about some other bits. The anime's been avoiding a lot of the nitty gritty details of the politics with Mile's family and stuff, so I also wonder if they'll return to that or just leave it unsaid. It's been skipping or glazing over a lot of the little details like how the nanomachines work and Mile logic, just leaving it up to inference for the viewers, so I dunno how effective that has been for anime-only people.