Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder if I want to mouse over that or leave it as a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was hesitant to but honestly it's so ridiculously stupid that I am glad I did

it's also pretty loving tryhard dark

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, no. I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes so far. No way I'm gonna spoil myself.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

sincx posted:

So this is all hearsay, and it may be totally wrong: Apparently, the MC had already been summoned before as a hero, by Aria (Ristarte's senpai). In the MC's previous adventure, the MC fell in love with a local priestess, and got her pregnant. But the MC wasn't careful enough, and the big bad killed the priestess and ripped the baby out (also killing the MC, sending him back to Earth). Aria felt really bad about all of this, so she reincarnated the priestess as Ristarte. And while the present-day MC doesn't remember what happened in the previous adventure, he found a note written by his earlier self telling him to be really really careful, which is why he's really careful. Also the big bad shoved the baby's soul into a robot or something.

I'll keep watching because the anime's good so far, but...

Jeez what the gently caress. If the show is just gonna keep legitimizing the hero's bullshit then I'm out, Riatarte be damned. I was already on the fence because I though he might not get any real growth and would remain a douchebag the whole show, but this sounds like that's guaranteed. I'll give it another episode to make it's case but... Wow.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ViggyNash posted:

Jeez what the gently caress. If the show is just gonna keep legitimizing the hero's bullshit then I'm out, Riatarte be damned. I was already on the fence because I though he might not get any real growth and would remain a douchebag the whole show, but this sounds like that's guaranteed. I'll give it another episode to make it's case but... Wow.

it's the typical anime "hiding his true feelings with the douchebaggery" thing. If he's strong enough and cautious enough to beat all the demons by himself then no one else has to get hurt fighting

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Except that guy who died in episode 2

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I don't know if any of those spoilers are even true, but it doesn't seem to matter anyway. The hero's an rear end in a top hat to everyone, all the time. He set Jamie on fire. My take on his character is that he deeply resents being called away from his regular life to be the hero, but also, he's a huge dick.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Ooooo secksheee

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

I don't know if any of those spoilers are even true, but it doesn't seem to matter anyway. The hero's an rear end in a top hat to everyone, all the time. He set Jamie on fire. My take on his character is that he deeply resents being called away from his regular life to be the hero, but also, he's a huge dick.

gently caress Jamie.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I just realized that I have started replying to posts in this thread and deleted them at least five times now. The irony in this compelled me to finally post.

Also,

LostRook posted:

gently caress Jamie.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Jeez just let a man sell his fruit in peace.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I have yet to watch this but by description Ristarte could easily be Aqua's sister.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mindblast posted:

I have yet to watch this but by description Ristarte could easily be Aqua's sister.

Oh easily.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Isekai Quartet season 3 will probably have the two of them in the same show.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mindblast posted:

her being the POV internal monologue character makes the whole act feel very different though

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Maxwell Adams posted:

Isekai Quartet season 3 will probably have the two of them in the same show.

Oh please please please

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I saw the punchline to the holy water sequence coming a mile away and still laughed.

That ED though. The contrast between Ristarte in the show and 3D mannequin Ristarte is :gonk:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Seiya do you have to be such an rear end in a top hat? :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"SeiyaUURGH" :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The dub makes Seiya more of a sassy, passive-aggressive bitch, and I honestly think it's an improvement. Makes it feel like Rista's dealing with a human with an appalling personality fit rather than a robotic paranoia elemental.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is this being simuldub'd?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, the dub sounds cool- is there anywhere us Southeast Asian folk can watch (or preferably, download) it?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 23, 2019

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

that ED is uhhhh extremely loving bad lmbo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I kinda hope Seiya demolishing a historic building/urban district with his cleanup powers happens every episode from here on out.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I feel like him being cautious is starting to feel like more of a byproduct of him being a piece of poo poo, rather than the other way around, which makes the whole tone feel way less interesting.

rista's cool, but seiya's joke is beyond wearing thin now. im hoping the side characters keep it fresh? those dragonkids didn't seem especially exciting though

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Beasteh posted:

that ED is uhhhh extremely loving bad lmbo

Yeah, the ED is loving horrific

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qFd3rjwsGI

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Good golly that ED is bad

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Guess those spoilers were true judging by the exposition this episode. Gosh, they sound stupidly grimdark

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I want to believe it'll be okay, because Helck managed to pivot from basically straight comedy to pathos, but on the other hand, Helck was always incredibly likable whereas this guy comes off as an rear end in a top hat sometimes.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I dunno, Seiya's assholishness is kind of growing on me. It really helps that Ristarte's (is that how you spell her name?) a great foil for him; she's the real star of the show, no argument there.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What other roles has Ristarte's seiyuu starred in?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

https://myanimelist.net/people/599/Aki_Toyosaki

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

she was K-On Yui that's probably the biggest one

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Seiya is basically the villain and it doesn't seem like the show has any intention of making him grow mentally in any way. In fact it continues to reward all of his bullshit. The gimmick is so garbage and worn out that at this point and no amount of Ristarte can save the show for me.

Also what the gently caress was that ED? That was awful.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 25, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aki Toyosaki is great, like the rest of the K-On Main Cast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ViggyNash posted:

Seiya is basically the villain and it doesn't seem like the show has any intention of making him grow mentally in any way. In fact it continues to reward all of his bullshit. The gimmick is so garbage and worn out that at this point and no amount of Ristarte can save the show for me.

Welcome to modern isekai! We've been in postmodern hell for like 5 years!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

How has he been rewarded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Welcome to modern isekai! We've been in postmodern hell for like 5 years!

Except there are 5 isekai this season and none of them are this... idk what even this is.

LostRook posted:

How has he been rewarded?

He never suffers any reprecussions for all the bullshit he pulls and is always right first time every time. He has literally done more damage to the world and its inhabitants than any of the demons he's defeated.