Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's My Hero Academia season 4! Hoo boy, that stuff with All For One was real scary, huh? Time to relax and not have to worry about any vi--wait who's this Overhaul rear end in a top hat?!

Sheesh, here we go again.

It's starting this Saturday, and as far as I can tell, Funimation is same day dubbing the whole thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoeAwxf_76U

Characters

Izuku "Deku" Midoriya (Daiki Yamashita, Justin Briner)
Quirk: One For All
Deku here used to have no powers at all. Zilch, nada. But thanks to a chance encounter with All Might, he's gained the power he needs to start on the road to becoming a hero. Under the tutelage of All Might's mentorship, Deku is slowly but surely learning how to moderate the power within him.

Toshinori "All Might" Yagi (Kenta Miyake, Chris Sabat)
Quirk: One For All Quirkless
The former top hero in Japan and Deku's mentor. After a climactic battle with All for One, he used up the final reserves of his strength and retired as a hero.

Katsuki "Lord Explosion Murder" Bakugo (Nobuhiko Okamoto, Clifford Chapin)
Quirk: Explosion
Izuku's classmate and bully, and the front-runner in his class to be accepted into U.A. He was gifted with a pretty powerful quirk, which has given him an inflated ego. He's trying to come to terms with the formerly pathetic Deku becoming an actual peer, and like most things in his life, channels that through rage. Has a new sense of purpose after being kidnapped by the League of Villains and telling them to piss off.

Ochaco "Uravity" Uraraka (Ayane Sakura, Luci Christian)
Quirk: Zero Gravity
Izuku's best friend, a kind young girl who can control gravity. She may or may not have a bit of a crush on Deku.

Tenya "Ingenium" Iida (Kaito Ishikawa, J. Michael Tatum)
Quirk: Engine
Deku's other friend. A hot-blooded young man who is strict about the rules. He's the representative of U.A.'s class 1-A.

Mirio Togata (Tarusuke Shingaki, Ricco Fajardo)
Quirk: Permeation
A senior at UA and one of the "Big Three" at the school. Has the power to phase through objects and mess with physics by doing so.

Tomura Shigaraki (Kōki Uchiyama, Eric Vale)
Quirk: Disintegration
The mysterious leader of the League of Villains who has dedicated himself to killing All Might. He's the grandson of the woman who gave All Might One For All.

Himiko Toga (Misato Fukuen, Leah Clark)
Quirk: Transform
Just a cheerful, fun-loving teenage girl who kills people :D One of the new recruits in the League of Villains, she can turn into anybody whose blood she can get a hold of.

All For One (Akio Otsuka, John Swasey)
Quirk: All For One
A villain from long ago who has the ability to steal and stockpile quirks. The architect of the League of Villains, he is currently in custody after a final battle with All Might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My Hero Academia is a land of contrasts

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Really curious how the reception of this arc will be in the anime. It was pretty polarizing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Looking forward to this!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mulderman posted:

Really curious how the reception of this arc will be in the anime. It was pretty polarizing.

I'm assuming the quicker pace of an anime will help a lot.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mulderman posted:

Tighter pacing could probably help in a big-rear end way, but it'd still be kinda "Uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh, I dunno".

Also, y'all should know better about manga spoilers by now. :colbert:

e: Beaten like dayum.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 10, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mulderman posted:

Willing to bet it'll be at least a little better-received by nature of the pacing being less... bad due to the shift in format. Also, I think one of the manga's great weaknesses is that Horikoshi just isn't very good at fight composition, and that will probably be better as well.

The actual story won't have this opportunity though, which is unfortunate. It's got some good elements but there are undeniably weak parts that bring the whole down. No specific spoilers from me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

condolences in advance to all the anime watchers enduring the manga readers complaining for months about an arc you haven't gotten to experience yet

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp9UjJL7KnE

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
so hype

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The story is pretty good outside of a few things.

Weekly readers grumbled about a good chunk of this seasons first arc because Horikoshi was dying from the Japanese flu and apparently kinda depressed for most of this arc- so us manga readers were treated to multiple short chapters, some chapters with unfinished art, and a few flat out absences. That all combined really dragged the whole thing out while also giving they impression stuff was kinda hacked down.

On re-read I like it a lot more even if there are things that annoy me from a writing perspective.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYl2a3YKiDc

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

:bisonyes:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Mirio Togata (Tarusuke Shingaki, Ricco Fajardo)
Quirk: Permeation
A senior at UA and one of the "Big Three" at the school. Has the power to phase through objects and mess with physics by doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A&t=638s

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

"Anime Expo 2019 WINNER Audience Choice"

gently caress yeah, it deserves it. I love really good AMVs.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I was really stoned when I read this arc in an afternoon so honestly? Don't remember much. Or what happened last season

Todoroki best boy

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Expect My Mom posted:

I was really stoned when I read this arc in an afternoon so honestly? Don't remember much. Or what happened last season

Todoroki best boy

last season everyone got one-punched by naked tintin

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The upcoming arc loving rules IMO

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
yeah i like this arc a lot and my only real issue was the weekly pacing. also they got a really good voice actor for the main villain

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Do we have an over under on how many pages it will take for someone to not read the thread title and post like this is the manga thread? My money is on "before the end of page 2."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I am incredibly looking forward to the animated version of this arc.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Here's hoping the anime does what it's best at and expands on things the manga couldn't find the space for

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yonkou and some others have said that the scheduling for this season is very very good which generally means nothing will look like trash- even filler.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm not a manga reader, but very excited for more naked tintin.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
MHA has no filler. :colbert: Except for the seasonal clip show first episode but that hardly counts.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

PMush Perfect posted:

MHA has no filler. :colbert: Except for the seasonal clip show first episode but that hardly counts.

Speaking of which, just a reminder to people that the first episode of this season is going to be a recap episode with some filler in between(the premise is some reporter interviewing class 1-A)

So if you're not into that, you can just skip this week and miss nothing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I seem to recall them doing a few anime exclusive episodes here and there but they were all fairly decent for the most part, that’s one advantage to them adapting this as multiple seasons as opposed to one big, continuous series I suppose.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This poster is way better than the other one they put out a while ago:

My
R
EMIA

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

Do we have an over under on how many pages it will take for someone to not read the thread title and post like this is the manga thread? My money is on "before the end of page 2."

The manga thread has "anime" in the title for some stupid reason.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

We didn't put anime in the title enough!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

The manga thread has "anime" in the title for some stupid reason.
According to ADTRW'lore, it's due to people wandering into the Manga thread because of the My Hero Academia thread and getting a plateful of manga spoilers.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wasn't it because both threads had Sasuke in the title?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IIRC it was "MHA manga" (plus some subtitle I don't remember) and "MHA anime" (same as before) but people kept mixing it up so at some point somebody decided to name'em "MHA Manga: not the anime thread" and "MHA Anime: not the manga thread" and I guess that did the trick?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I feel like they also had the same or similar thread icons which definitely didn't help.

Edit: I'm wrong and probably need glasses.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rhonne posted:

This poster is way better than the other one they put out a while ago:

My
R
EMIA

EMIYA!?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Quirk: Infinite Creation of Swords

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm going in this blind since I've only watched the first three seasons after my niece said she loved it (her favorite character is Todoroki) and I finally got the time to watch it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm going in this blind since I've only watched the first three seasons after my niece said she loved it (her favorite character is Todoroki) and I finally got the time to watch it.

Speaking of which, how important is the movie in the timeline of the show? I haven't seen it and have no idea if it's required viewing or not.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Speaking of which, how important is the movie in the timeline of the show? I haven't seen it and have no idea if it's required viewing or not.

It's fun, and bits might come up later, but it's not essential.

Basically, there's a one-off adventure and you meet an old friend of All Might's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
hoping for More Ochako Content