Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Bite My Shiny Metal rear end: A Life in Pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Does anyone have a theory why Tsuyu is so popular in America, especially when compared to her fairly middling reception in Japan? As an American, I assumed she was a main character before I saw the show, because there was so much discussion and fan art of her. If I had to guess, maybe it's her straightforwardness and somewhat awkward personality, which seems more common in American media.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Frogs are cute.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Does anyone have a theory why Tsuyu is so popular in America, especially when compared to her fairly middling reception in Japan? As an American, I assumed she was a main character before I saw the show, because there was so much discussion and fan art of her. If I had to guess, maybe it's her straightforwardness and somewhat awkward personality, which seems more common in American media.

The anime director likes her a lot, and Americans are more likely to be focused on the anime where Japanese fans are more likely to be manga readers. Figure that's at least a contributing factor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, she's got an incredibly cute design.

Also she was pretty popular in America before the anime started too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tsuyu needs more focus honestly. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot to her (she’s blunt but competent and is a human frog) but there’s still something I like about her character regardless.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As far as I remember, she hasn't really gotten any major focus since the whole apology scene.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I like Peace Sign a lot but MHA has never had a great OP

Man this thread sure has opinions.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Also the less frog the better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

As far as I remember, she hasn't really gotten any major focus since the whole apology scene.

She also got her own anime exclusive episode back in I think Season 2 but yeah, the apology scene seems to be her last major appearance thus far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 14, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tsuyu was cool when the only thing I knew about her was her design but her total lack of presence or real personality beyond hurting Mineta (which is good) has soured me on the character.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Which, since we're here in the ANIME thread really shouldn't be talked about. There's a fully functional manga thread. Go talk about what happens in stories that haven't been seen by us Anime watchers over there. That's what it's for. Even vague poo poo like "*stuff*" isn't helpful warnings. It's spoilers. Please do it somewhere else. :colbert:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 14, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I think her design is a big thing part of it. Like, in my case, literally the first bit of MHA material I saw was some of Horikoshi's art featuring Tsuyu in a bunch of different action poses and whatnot, and I thought she had a neat design and went looking for what she was from, eventually leading me to the manga thread here. The fact that she's not a typical anime girl and is a bit weird, but still cute and all, makes her stand out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Which, since we're here in the ANIME thread really shouldn't be talked about. There's a fully functional manga thread. Go talk about what happens in stories that haven't been seen by us Anime watchers over there. That's what it's for. Even vague poo poo like "*stuff*" isn't helpful warnings. It's spoilers. Please do it somewhere else. :colbert:

Fair enough, fixed.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 15, 2019

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Larryb posted:

Fair enough, fixed.

Thank you.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

The thing with Tsuyu for me is I initially thought there would be a love triangle between her, Deku, and Uraraka. Tsuyu and Deku are both nerdy and highly observant but kind individuals that were social outcasts for their Quirk (or lack there of). I was kind of disappointed there wasn't more between them. That said, I changed my position as Uraraka and Deku's relationship evolved, as Deku is a good good boy, and I like Uraraka being the initiator in the relationship.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ll take more of anyone else in the class over Bakugo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's weird, bakugo is like the only interesting student

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's interesting in a bad way

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Being an angry rear end in a top hat all the time isn’t a interesting personality.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Bakugo rules, Tsuyu is ok but "acting like villains not heroes" still has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The worst part about Bakugo is that Deku still respects and admires him. But that’s mostly on Deku I suppose.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
bakugo is a fascinating as someone who is almost entirely a product of this new superhero society and now has to figure out how to deprogram himself while still hanging on to the things he values about himself. that's fascinating! I don't entirely trust this series to make good on it, but there's a lot there. love that angry lil dude

as for tsuyu, im gonna give the fifteen year old a pass for not having maybe not great politics about justice when she's in a distressed emotional state about the death of her friends

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The worst part about Bakugo is that Deku still respects and admires him. But that’s mostly on Deku I suppose.
shonen rivals own dude. respect and admiration is inherent in A Rival

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Tsuyu's long tongue is perfect for licking boots all day, the narc

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The main problem with the "villains" thing was that her apology sucked and was just cowardly begging to return to the status quo.

Expect My Mom posted:

shonen rivals own dude. respect and admiration is inherent in A Rival

Then the rival shouldn't be so loving awful that the hero's continued deference to them makes the hero look bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just think that Deku admiring his childhood bully makes him come off like kind of a dweeb.

He is kind of a dweeb though so maybe that’s ok. And their relationship is more interesting from Bakugo’s side.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Arist posted:

Then the rival shouldn't be so loving awful that the hero's continued deference to them makes the hero look bad.

Its true, deku's admiration/respect for bakugou is by far his worst quality.

He'd be a better character AND a better hero if he was willing to let himself be upset/angry with Bakugou in a meaningful way.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I think Tsuyu's straight forwardness as the foil to wacky hijinks definitely helps her with American audiences. It also doesn't hurt that in a culture that is just super-saturated with superhero stuff, we'd latch onto "literally a frog" as being a fun Quirk. The rest of the heroes feel like, well, superhero powers but she's a frog. That's it. That's her power.

That said, I think the spread of favorite characters is probably more spread than you'd think. The show does a great job of giving each their due, which is pretty tricky when there are just so many characters.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Arist posted:

The main problem with the "villains" thing was that her apology sucked and was just cowardly begging to return to the status quo.

i dont get this. shonen heroes typically have giant hearts so it doesn't bother me at all here. and also there things about bakugo worthy of respect. he's not entirely all talk. with how deku nerds out over every hero, it makes total sense he would still look up to bakugo. like synth said, he's a complete dweeb.

you might just not like dweebs and that's fine. i don't really care about deku is an MC personally.

people also act like bakugo has done completely, horrible, unconscionable things to deku, but like, i dunno, i also tried to be nice to people who had months ago .bullied me, stole my poo poo and told me to kill myself. child brains are super strange, and none of that felt completely not understandable to me

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 15, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bakugo mellows out a lot after like a month at UA where even the kids he could still beat up if he really wanted to are too hardcore to be that scared of him and I think the way it plays out is genuinely pretty believable and interesting, IMO

He's still far from being a decent guy, don't get me wrong, but he's interesting to watch and bouncing off of him gives Deku more texture than he would have otherwise. The story is better for having Bakugo in it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does it matter if one likes Bakugo or not? Do you have to like everyone for their stories to be interesting?

I wouldn't want to be friends with Bakugo, but I think his place in the story is super interesting from a narrative viewpoint. A guy that is way too full of himself getting a dose of reality when it is appropriate and while he was the top dog of his last school, he's having some serious issues with his new classmates not immediately fawning over him and it's obvious that his hangups of how the natural world ought to be with Deku at the bottom of the pecking order is holding him back.

He has made a few friends, but they are all tough guys that can handle abuse more than he can dish it out.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that this is "my hero school", not "my favorite friends club (Bakugo not allowed)"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mordaedil posted:

Does it matter if one likes Bakugo or not? Do you have to like everyone for their stories to be interesting?

I wouldn't want to be friends with Bakugo, but I think his place in the story is super interesting from a narrative viewpoint. A guy that is way too full of himself getting a dose of reality when it is appropriate and while he was the top dog of his last school, he's having some serious issues with his new classmates not immediately fawning over him and it's obvious that his hangups of how the natural world ought to be with Deku at the bottom of the pecking order is holding him back.

He has made a few friends, but they are all tough guys that can handle abuse more than he can dish it out.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that this is "my hero school", not "my favorite friends club (Bakugo not allowed)"

Well, sure. But the reason Bakugo's abrasiveness is a problem is because of it I don't think his role in the story fundamentally makes any loving sense. He's pretty much omnipresent and a spotlight hog, and that means his incredibly one-note personality becomes outright exhausting as well as annoying. It's hard to really root for him because he so blatantly needs to get over his issues. And that, on its own, is fine. There are plenty of fine rivals that you can have fun rooting against in the history of fight manga. But you can't really do that with Bakugo either, because he is continually rewarded by the story, in terms of both material victories and validation of his strength as well as his perspective. He's a genius with the strongest superpower who always works the hardest, so uhhhhhhh why should I give a poo poo about his character arc if the story clearly doesn't? He's not becoming a functioning person at any appreciable speed, and the series seems to think he's hot poo poo so where's the room for him to grow anyway?

I think the idea of Bakugo is really strong but the execution is just insufferable because his development, while not entirely non-existent, isn't being dramatized well. Most of his "growth" thus far has been very conspicuously crafted to preserve his ego.

Expect My Mom posted:

i dont get this. shonen heroes typically have giant hearts so it doesn't bother me at all here. and also there things about bakugo worthy of respect. he's not entirely all talk. with how deku nerds out over every hero, it makes total sense he would still look up to bakugo. like synth said, he's a complete dweeb.

you might just not like dweebs and that's fine. i don't really care about deku is an MC personally.

people also act like bakugo has done completely, horrible, unconscionable things to deku, but like, i dunno, i also tried to be nice to people who had months ago .bullied me, stole my poo poo and told me to kill myself. child brains are super strange, and none of that felt completely not understandable to me

Truth is stranger than fiction. Stories have to loving make sense. Deku's refusal to be mad at Bakugo at all makes him seem like a loving doormat.

Also, "Deku appreciates strong heroes and Bakugo is strong" is not some great retort because I think this series is too obsessed with "strength" in the first place.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
wasn't really a retort cause i didn't know you felt that opinion in the first place but alright

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
e: No spoilers, please. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

But you can't really do that with Bakugo either, because he is continually rewarded by the story, in terms of both material victories and validation of his strength as well as his perspective. He's a genius with the strongest superpower who always works the hardest, so uhhhhhhh why should I give a poo poo about his character arc if the story clearly doesn't? He's not becoming a functioning person at any appreciable speed, and the series seems to think he's hot poo poo so where's the room for him to grow anyway?

I think the idea of Bakugo is really strong but the execution is just insufferable because his development, while not entirely non-existent, isn't being dramatized well. Most of his "growth" thus far has been very conspicuously crafted to preserve his ego.
I think you misinterpret a lot of the story if this is your take-away. Bakugo's ego is constantly being challenged by the rest of the class. His victories have been hallow.

The entire tournament they had tried to drive home just how unsatisfied he was. Yeah, he got 1st place, but it was pointless, because his opponent at the end didn't even put in half of an effort.

I don't think the show tries to put him on any type of pillar here, he forces Deku and his team to plan around his psychology to rescue him.

I guess he hasn't been completely broken into a crying mess?

Arist posted:

Truth is stranger than fiction. Stories have to loving make sense. Deku's refusal to be mad at Bakugo at all makes him seem like a loving doormat.
He was a doormat until like last season where they beat the poo poo out of each other.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I liked Bakugo a lot more when I realized he was just Iruki Hanazawa from Mob Psycho 100 that hasn't properly got his poo poo kicked in. He wants to be the best because he's always been told he's special, and he doesn't have an identity outside of that. That's why he actually tries and gets good grades instead of just coasting on his assumed greatness and natural talent. Still not a good person, but an interesting character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Having to plan around his psychology to rescue him" is an example of the kind of validation of his ego that I'm decrying. The characters bend over backwards so that he doesn't have to change. That was the entire resolution of his final exam against All Might with Deku: Deku resolved to spend even more time catering to his tantrums.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
King Explosion Murder rules

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Did you miss the whole speech in their big fight in season 3?

Deku thinks Bakugo is a loving rear end in a top hat... but he also respects him, because Bakugo is a badass genius who faces down impossible odds and wins on a regular basis. That's the big complication in their dynamic.

You can respect and admire someone while still thinking they're kind of a piece of poo poo in other ways. And now that Bakugo respects Deku instead of resenting him, they're moving forward on more even ground. Deku feels free to talk smack about Bakugo, same as the rest of the class, and Bakugo's attitude towards Deku is less "Don't try!" and more "Don't lose!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

bakugo rules. i hope he gets a lot of screen time this season