Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also Lemillion has done great work with the power he already has, he didn’t need another one.

If Deku didn’t have OfA there’d just be one less hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tatsuta Age posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66E7MpTGygs

You can't tell me all might didn't gently caress up enormously making midoriya his successor rather than lemillion lol

Is that a bigger thing in the manga or no

Honestly I think it's really unfair for the narrative to compare them like that. Mirio's had two more years of training and experience under his belt to work with. Look at year 1 Mirio and tell me that

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Mirio proved he wasn't One For All material in the alleyway.

Yep. And then he made up for it in the base. Mirio is a genuine hero, but he didn't have that last spark.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep. And then he made up for it in the base. Mirio is a genuine hero, but he didn't have that last spark.

Yeah, he also later deeply regretted his decision in the alleyway and fought like hell to make up for it during the actual mission. That’s why I can’t really hold it against him that much.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I mean, there are all kinds of Heroes. If it was All Might and Aizawa who took the place of Deku and Lemillion, their responses would ahve bee just as different I'm sure.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think people are way too hard on mirio for the alleyway scene. i don't think it's disqualifying for receiving one for all or anything, in fact i think the idea that there's this specific mold that someone has to fit to be a worthy successor has been a theme that deku has been fighting against too to a certain extent. mirio's heart is in the right place and he's good at what he does

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wasn't Mirio also worried about collateral damage if the fight had spilled out into the street?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Wasn't Mirio also worried about collateral damage if the fight had spilled out into the street?

Yeah, he had good excuses for making the wrong call, even if he agreed it was the wrong one later.

He is a hero, and a good one. But he lacks the madness that drives Midoriya and Toshinori, and that madness is what makes All Might... All Might.

It's even in his hero name. He's admitting up front that he has limits, where All Might succeeded (and broke himself) by acting like he didn't have any.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

To be honest, I don't really see what Mirio would even gain from having One for All with his existing power set. I mean yes, obviously the super strength, but Mirio's fighting style doesn't need super strength. He's a hit and run fighter that can just bypass all your defenses and punch you square in the kidneys. Like Deku's fight with Muscular? Mirio could have handled that in way less time by just phasing through Muscular's... muscle shield and hitting him where he actually felt it. Even in the fight with Overhaul, Mirio wasn't losing until he had to stop to protect Eri and then lost his power. I'm sure there's situations where having super strength in addition to his current powers would be a huge help to Mirio but as it stood at the time, Mirio was going to be a great hero no matter what. Just giving him more power instead of empowering someone who can't fight is kind of worthless. Like TheKingofSprings said, now there's two heroes instead of one.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just watched the Two Heroes movie!

- The introduction of Melissa Shields reminds me so much of Rebecca Hawkins from Yu-Gi-Oh: the father figure's friend's spunky blonde (grand)daughter. It's nice to have a quirkless lead character, though. She's alright.

- I think Mei and the support course are super interesting, so I liked the concept of the island. I'd love to see more about the general studies and business programs at some point in the show's run. It would be boring to show them as, well, boring (or cynical in the case of the business students); I'd like to see some students in those programs who are just as enthusiastic about their work as Deku and Mei are. I'm not counting the brainwashing guy since he wanted to join the hero course.

- I loathe Mineta and don't really care about Denki, but from reading the discussion here, it sounds like Deku would be stuck as the terminally horny character in their absence, so I guess they serve the role of keeping me from hating Deku.

- Uraraka talking about Kacchan: "He and Deku are fated rivals!" I think it's fun that the protagonist's love interest also seems partially aware that she's in an anime.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Two Heroes was pretty meh for me. The setting and overall plot was decent, and the final fight was great, but the middle was so meandering and forgetful. I guess it was mostly fights, but I can't remember any of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

surf rock posted:

- I loathe Mineta and don't really care about Denki, but from reading the discussion here, it sounds like Deku would be stuck as the terminally horny character in their absence, so I guess they serve the role of keeping me from hating Deku.

It's more likely that another background character would take up the role. It's not something that really fits with Deku's awkwardness around girls (and in general).

As I think I said upthread, Shonen Jump had been moving away from horny main protagonists (off and on) for a while before MHA. Giving the role to supporting cast means the writer can still get the same gags, but without as much risk of making people dislike the lead.

(The big recent exception is Chainsaw Man, but it handles things much better than Mineta, and Chainsaw Man... takes certain risks as a default setting.)

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

CuwiKhons posted:

To be honest, I don't really see what Mirio would even gain from having One for All with his existing power set. I mean yes, obviously the super strength, but Mirio's fighting style doesn't need super strength. He's a hit and run fighter that can just bypass all your defenses and punch you square in the kidneys. Like Deku's fight with Muscular? Mirio could have handled that in way less time by just phasing through Muscular's... muscle shield and hitting him where he actually felt it. Even in the fight with Overhaul, Mirio wasn't losing until he had to stop to protect Eri and then lost his power. I'm sure there's situations where having super strength in addition to his current powers would be a huge help to Mirio but as it stood at the time, Mirio was going to be a great hero no matter what. Just giving him more power instead of empowering someone who can't fight is kind of worthless. Like TheKingofSprings said, now there's two heroes instead of one.

Fighting enemies too durable for his regular human capability punches to hurt. His power stops him from carrying any type of weapon that can increase his offensive output. So he'd be absolutely useless against, say, that first Noumu All Might took out by overpowering its shock absorption.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What happens if Mirio phases into someone? Like phasing his fist into a nomu brain

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Zzulu posted:

What happens if Mirio phases into someone? Like phasing his fist into a nomu brain

The core aspect of his power is if he phases into solid matter he gets ejected at high velocity. It's how he seemingly teleports. If he phases his fist inside of someone and unphases to "punch" them on the inside his fist would get ejected instead of hitting them. People tend to be solid on the inside.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The core aspect of his power is if he phases into solid matter he gets ejected at high velocity. It's how he seemingly teleports. If he phases his fist inside of someone and unphases to "punch" them on the inside his fist would get ejected instead of hitting them. People tend to be solid on the inside.

so much goo and juice

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
And finally, Heroes Rising! I think I heard somewhere that that one is set later in the timeline than the anime, so I'll spoiler out most of these thoughts even though I can't think of anything here that hadn't already come up by the end of season four:

- It was good! I liked it more than Two Heroes.

- I love these dumb kids running a lovely call center. These are the hero hijinks I want.

- Uraraka really needs a redesign of her costume's helmet. It having a face shield is some real anti-synergy with the side effects of overusing her quirk. Also, I hadn't thought of it before but she does have good battle chemistry with Hanta Sero; being able to fling poo poo around at high speeds because it doesn't weigh anything is great.

- This movie was the best stretch for Kacchan since the kidnapping. Given how the ending works I imagine they felt they had to make him a little more likeable in order for it to work. Good for him!

- Todoroki freezing the wolf guy from the inside out was SOMETHING, goddamn.

- Although the actual choreography of battles in this show is not very good, I like the set-up of battles. The way the kids think of using their quirks and setting up teams is clever! For example, splitting up the villains is a great idea and specifically driving one into a cave in order to fight against Tokoyami is smart. REVELRY IN THE DARK

It's been a real journey enjoying this show over the past month with all you fine folks. Thank you all for sharing your enthusiasm for the show with me when I was down on the first few episodes; it convinced me to keep going and I'm so glad I did. Looking forward to season five!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

i think people are way too hard on mirio for the alleyway scene. i don't think it's disqualifying for receiving one for all or anything, in fact i think the idea that there's this specific mold that someone has to fit to be a worthy successor has been a theme that deku has been fighting against too to a certain extent. mirio's heart is in the right place and he's good at what he does

It's exactly this. Mirio was explicitly being groomed by Nighteye to be All Might's successor, and so his little mini arc is all about showing that he doesn't need to be All Might to still be a hero. But that's in the context of Nighteyes arc which is about how you cant prepare for everything an that's why you need people who can act in a crisis. All Might saw that in Deku and it's why he choose him for a successor, which Nighteye doesn't understand because as a precognitive that's not something he's ever had to contend with. He values forethought and planning, and that can have a hamstringing effect on your reactions, particularly in a crisis.

So the Mirio in that alleyway was being the avatar of Nighteye's viewpoint; not impulsive or reactive, thinking about the unknowns, the collateral damage, and the jurisdiction issues an concluding that this isn't the time or place to have this fight. It's Deku's analytical side given dominance, and then a whole story arc showing why that's not what All Might wanted for All For One.

Which is why you get the part in the hospital where Deku offers All For One to Mirio and he turns it down. He's proven his metal as a hero and it's not by being All Might or Deku or anyone else he's compared to. It's by being Mirio, a guy who will take risks an keep fighting even when he's got no chance of winning. Alley Mirio, Nighteye's construct of the perfect hero, wasn't worthy of All For One, but real Mirio doesn't need it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there wolf posted:

It's exactly this. Mirio was explicitly being groomed by Nighteye to be All Might's successor, and so his little mini arc is all about showing that he doesn't need to be All Might to still be a hero. But that's in the context of Nighteyes arc which is about how you cant prepare for everything an that's why you need people who can act in a crisis. All Might saw that in Deku and it's why he choose him for a successor, which Nighteye doesn't understand because as a precognitive that's not something he's ever had to contend with. He values forethought and planning, and that can have a hamstringing effect on your reactions, particularly in a crisis.

So the Mirio in that alleyway was being the avatar of Nighteye's viewpoint; not impulsive or reactive, thinking about the unknowns, the collateral damage, and the jurisdiction issues an concluding that this isn't the time or place to have this fight. It's Deku's analytical side given dominance, and then a whole story arc showing why that's not what All Might wanted for All For One.

Which is why you get the part in the hospital where Deku offers All For One to Mirio and he turns it down. He's proven his metal as a hero and it's not by being All Might or Deku or anyone else he's compared to. It's by being Mirio, a guy who will take risks an keep fighting even when he's got no chance of winning. Alley Mirio, Nighteye's construct of the perfect hero, wasn't worthy of All For One, but real Mirio doesn't need it.

what i like about this is the show also goes out of its way to not paint nighteye's perspective as being entirely wrong either. indeed, during mirio's big fight where he completely clowns on overhaul + like 3 other people, he spends the entire fight essentially repeating nighteye's mantras to himself and it's very clear how even past his mastery of phasing through stuff, it's his ability to predict and counter overhaul's moves that lets him perform so well and even keep fighting after he's lost his quirk. mirio isn't nighteye and he isn't all might - but the lessons he learned from both are clearly major influences on him and some of his best qualities can be attributed to them.

some some real nice nuance going on about the role that, er, heroes (as in personal role models) serve in mirio's character and to what degree they define him as a person

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Also it's easy to say that they made the wrong call in the alleyway but given Overhaul's quirk it could easily have gone horribly wrong and it's only in retrospect with knowledge they didn't have at the time that we know otherwise.

What's really more telling about both them is how they respond to it emotionally. Even if they didn't make a mistake from that perspective they both treat it as a moral failing. That's what makes them heroes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So given all the Villains are locked up instead of actually dead, do you ever see some sort of MHA Thunderbolts/Suicide Squad happening?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if all for one wasn't already locked up and he regained full power or something, then yeah maybe they'd get desperate enough to do that kind of thing. as is, hero society seems just capable enough of handling things that they don't have a pressing need to draft criminals into the police force

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NikkolasKing posted:

So given all the Villains are locked up instead of actually dead, do you ever see some sort of MHA Thunderbolts/Suicide Squad happening?
Mmm. There is no shortage of people who want to be heroes in the setting. They've recognized they have a shortage, but that's why they're fast-tracking capable UA students in the first place. (Which has its own problems, but fewer problems than drafting criminals would.)

Of course, that's an in-universe explanation. But Horikoshi is a big ol' westaboo, so who knows?

(Also, you should read the Vigilantes manga if you don't already.)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

NikkolasKing posted:

I always thought that was the implication of what's going to happen with Gentle Criminal and La Brava.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Why would you assign Gentle to a clandestine black ops squad if he's just gonna livestream the whole thing?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

christmas boots posted:

Why would you assign Gentle to a clandestine black ops squad if he's just gonna livestream the whole thing?

They took him off Youtube and put him on OnlyFans, so now he only radicalizes people who are already pro-crime.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New trailer for S5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AkQ0GxQTQM

Some spoilers, obviously.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m watching this for the first time and Todoroki owns hard.

And I wish they’d show the villains more.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sponges posted:

I’m watching this for the first time and Todoroki owns hard.

And I wish they’d show the villains more.

You get more of them as the show goes on.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MHA in general is a show where like 70% of the characters i wish i got to see more of. just comes from having a large cast i guess

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

MHA in general is a show where like 70% of the characters i wish i got to see more of. just comes from having a large cast i guess

Kind of a shame too, Aoi Yuki is wasted on this series in my opinion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1374365920521375752?s=20

Season 5 this Saturday!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Remember to avoid accidentally clicking on the manga thread now that we're gonna have two threads actually active.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Or accidentally not clicking on the Manga thread and posting manga spoilers in the anime thread.

Oh who am I kidding, it’s going to happen anyways.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Season 5 this Saturday!

Any news on when the English dub will be released?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Any idea what the first episode is going to be about? They usually start these seasons with a recap episode, but the last season sort of ended right in the middle of an arc, more so than the one before it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If anything that's even more reason for a recap episode. It's been a while since the last season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Does the second movie take place in the middle of this season somewhere?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It takes place after the first arc this season will cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
This week's episode will be ep 0 of S5, and will indeed be a recap ep.

Also, thread title needs updating - if only to increase the season number.