Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arist posted:

"Having to plan around his psychology to rescue him" is an example of the kind of validation of his ego that I'm decrying. The characters bend over backwards so that he doesn't have to change. That was the entire resolution of his final exam against All Might with Deku: Deku resolved to spend even more time catering to his tantrums.

Yeah, Bakugou really comes out a winner. He loving breaks down because he thinks he killed All Might. No worries people, Bakugou hasn't changed at all!!!!

EDIT: The idea that a literal life or death situation should have been the best time to rub Bakugou's face in poo poo is a bizarre idea. It was a rescue situation where a bunch of amateurs looked at all sides of a crazy intense hostage situation and loving NAILED IT. Giving any credit to Bakugou in that situation is silly anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also the entire point there is that Bakugou has changed, he’s changed enough to accept help from Kirishima, the first actual true friend he’s ever had. Someone who he can act as an equal to without his own damage wrecking it.

Bakagou from episode one would not have accepted help from anyone. That’s the progress, and then he goes even further by re-evaluating Izuku and their relationship. Alongside dealing with his feelings of failing and causing All Might’s retirement due to being too weak.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Axel Serenity posted:

I think Tsuyu's straight forwardness as the foil to wacky hijinks definitely helps her with American audiences. It also doesn't hurt that in a culture that is just super-saturated with superhero stuff, we'd latch onto "literally a frog" as being a fun Quirk. The rest of the heroes feel like, well, superhero powers but she's a frog. That's it. That's her power.

this makes sense but still throws me off, because Toad exists in the X-men canon and is the far opposite of popular

edit: in an alternate reality where the Brotherhood is more about wacky hijinks, I still don't think Toad would have taken off

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Toad has a gross design and Tsuyu is cute.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also Aoi Yuuki using a voice she normally doesn't break out all that often probably helps. :3:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this makes sense but still throws me off, because Toad exists in the X-men canon and is the far opposite of popular

edit: in an alternate reality where the Brotherhood is more about wacky hijinks, I still don't think Toad would have taken off

just goes to show that you can't copy that froppy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

In the context of Battle shonen and the powers in it, "is a frog" is extremely novel and interesting because the genre generally takes a very lateral approach to powers and emphasizes novel uses for them or sidestepping restrictions. In American Superhero stuff, "is a frog" is a relatively lame power since superpowers are more measured on their gross ability and not how clever you can be with them.

Also Tsuyu is cute and has a great personality contrast to the rest of the cast.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also the entire point there is that Bakugou has changed, he’s changed enough to accept help from Kirishima, the first actual true friend he’s ever had. Someone who he can act as an equal to without his own damage wrecking it.

Bakagou from episode one would not have accepted help from anyone. That’s the progress, and then he goes even further by re-evaluating Izuku and their relationship. Alongside dealing with his feelings of failing and causing All Might’s retirement due to being too weak.

One of the things I find novel with Bakugo is that, for all of his anger and brashness, he's about as strategic a thinker as Deku, whereas one would expect a person with his archetype and powers would just blow things up with reckless abandon (though there's some of that early on, but focused on Deku).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bakugo is still very immature when it comes to dealing with his emotions (I mean that's sort of a given; he's like 15-16 years old), but he's not a mindless berserk by any stretch of the word. Like when he fought against Uraraka: At no point in time did he underestimate her and even sorta took into account that she could use his quirk against him. When she does and he still blasts her debris barrage, he even notes that she was this close to actually checkmating him.

He's a fun character, even if he's by no means my favorite.

e: drat auto-complete.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 15, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Honestly, just having him calm down a little would improve him in my eyes. Being around someone that angry all the time, and the really lovely way he treats people is extremely offputting.

It’s really weird the way the teachers seem to put up with it, especially Aizawa who doesn’t seem the type to stand for that sort of behaviour at all.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm assuming Aizawa was very similar at his age

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bakugo should never calm down

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CharlestonJew posted:

Excellent time to segue into My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, a spin-off series that right now has been covering Aizawa when he was at UA. It's generally a story about unlicensed heroes but it tends to go into backstories for how characters met or their relationships with one another.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

the latest arc in the side-comic Vigilantes gives us a look at young Aizawa

he was always the type of person who could wilt a flower garden by walking past it

e: f;b

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you haven't read Vigilantes then now is the time to do so. The initial 6 or so chapters are kind of rough but it gets a lot better very quickly.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CharlestonJew posted:

I would love to see a hot headed Aizawa.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

Tsuyu is ok but "acting like villains not heroes" still has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Quirk users breaking the law is the definition of Villain, isn't it?

Our protagonists are training to grow up and be enforcers of the law so breaking the law is kinda hypocritical of them a s Froppy pointed out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Heroes are cops in this world in that they're regulated and licensed. She wasn't wrong, and they were insanely lucky everything worked out as well as it did.

Bakugou being the way he is kinda always felt like to me that he was the Zoro of the series in that he's set up as this ringer who will never lose a fight when it counts so you can't really just say "yeah he's gonna job" when he gets a fight with a genuinely top tier opponent you think the MC should be fighting.

Like if you had me pick between Todoroki or Bakugou as to who could possibly die in an act 3 stinger to show that things are really serious, I'd say Todoroki is dead meat despite him generally being shown as still being stronger overall.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

If you haven't read Vigilantes then now is the time to do so. The initial 6 or so chapters are kind of rough but it gets a lot better very quickly.

Vigilantes needs an anime adaptation honestly.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Heroes are cops in this world in that they're regulated and licensed. She wasn't wrong, and they were insanely lucky everything worked out as well as it did.

Bakugou being the way he is kinda always felt like to me that he was the Zoro of the series in that he's set up as this ringer who will never lose a fight when it counts so you can't really just say "yeah he's gonna job" when he gets a fight with a genuinely top tier opponent you think the MC should be fighting.

Like if you had me pick between Todoroki or Bakugou as to who could possibly die in an act 3 stinger to show that things are really serious, I'd say Todoroki is dead meat despite him generally being shown as still being stronger overall.
I dunno. Isn't Todoroki insanely popular in Japan? Like I'd feel that the editors would be vetoing the poo poo out of their precious boy Zu-- I mean, Todoroki biting the dust.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It's kind of a moot point. I feel like the chances of either of them biting it in a hypothetical act 3 arc are really small.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Bakugou comes off as fake because people in real life who behave the way he does pretty much never have the hidden depths and character development that he's allowed by the writing.

It feels kind of like an apologia for the kind of bully who absolutely doesn't need one.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Bakugo is what you'd call "terminally tsundere"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It looks like we're already going to be getting a break. Episode 4 will air on the 9th of November and not the 2nd.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Blimey, that’s rough. We already started with a filler/recap episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Though that doesn't really speak to any production woes since it's been a trend and it's most likely to catch the kids up. I'd also think the recent typhoon was a factor.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I wonder if there's something more than production matters behind that - I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Bones had already finished the whole first cour of this season.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wager it's due to Typhoon. Lots of shows are having a one week delay.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Bakugo is what you'd call "terminally tsundere"

If only there was some more dere to all the tsun he puts out.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Blimey, that’s rough. We already started with a filler/recap episode.

Almost all the "watches more than anime" reactors I've seen have been very glad about the recap because they usually don't really remember that much about what's going on. I assume that's how most people react about these recaps and only "fans" dislike them.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

Almost all the "watches more than anime" reactors I've seen have been very glad about the recap because they usually don't really remember that much about what's going on. I assume that's how most people react about these recaps and only "fans" dislike them.

I normally wouldn't like the recap but I enjoyed the new content a lot even if it wasn't pushing the story forward. Reporter guy was a lot of fun and very sweet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheKingslayer posted:

I normally wouldn't like the recap but I enjoyed the new content a lot even if it wasn't pushing the story forward. Reporter guy was a lot of fun and very sweet.

Yeah, I agree. If we must start with recaps, this is a great way to do it. It's pretty effective world-building that takes an established event (the very video Deku thinks of when he thinks of how much he idolizes All Might) and gives us more information on it, by introducing someone directly involved with it, and it serves the series' ideology by showing us what that caused on a brand-new character, and in turn, how that gets to our protagonist.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I thought the recap was funny because it lampshades the fact you can absolutely see something funny is going on if you look into Midoriya at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I still think Deku should've gone full batman :colbert:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Xelkelvos posted:

I still think Deku should've gone full batman :colbert:

it would have been pretty cool if we had the original idea for the series where Deku had no Quirk but was smart and skilled enough to bullshit his way into the hero class and become the greatest hero

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
That sounds more like the plot of Mx0 than Batman, honestly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Now I want Miles and Deku to hang out

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

a kitten posted:

Now I want Miles and Deku to hang out

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
When do we get our "Into The Deku-verse" movie!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Which cartoon animal represents Deku?