Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The story is pretty good outside of a few things.

Weekly readers grumbled about a good chunk of this seasons first arc because Horikoshi was dying from the Japanese flu and apparently kinda depressed for most of this arc- so us manga readers were treated to multiple short chapters, some chapters with unfinished art, and a few flat out absences. That all combined really dragged the whole thing out while also giving they impression stuff was kinda hacked down.

On re-read I like it a lot more even if there are things that annoy me from a writing perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yonkou and some others have said that the scheduling for this season is very very good which generally means nothing will look like trash- even filler.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Can they hire studio Pierrot to do the ops and have Bones do everything else still

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

HellCopter posted:

I'm a little confused, was Saturday a recap episode? Or new stuff that's just kind of filler-ish?
Recap episode done as filler material. Actual canon stuff starts this week.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Heroes are cops in this world in that they're regulated and licensed. She wasn't wrong, and they were insanely lucky everything worked out as well as it did.

Bakugou being the way he is kinda always felt like to me that he was the Zoro of the series in that he's set up as this ringer who will never lose a fight when it counts so you can't really just say "yeah he's gonna job" when he gets a fight with a genuinely top tier opponent you think the MC should be fighting.

Like if you had me pick between Todoroki or Bakugou as to who could possibly die in an act 3 stinger to show that things are really serious, I'd say Todoroki is dead meat despite him generally being shown as still being stronger overall.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I thought the recap was funny because it lampshades the fact you can absolutely see something funny is going on if you look into Midoriya at all.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bubble Girl was Hori and probably his editor being horny because she was a fan-made character from a contest.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nephthys posted:

I kind of took this as an instance similar to meeting Shigaraki in the mall. Even if they had been able to get Eri away safely short-term, Overhaul wouldn't have let them go quietly and starting a fight in the middle of the street with a top-tier villain puts alot of people at risk and Overhaul could kill a loving lot of people really quickly if he wanted to.
The thing is that Overhaul isn't a complete psychotic nihilist like Shigaraki- he's a planning kind of a guy with a rigid organization and so far has made an effort to still be able to act as a civilian. Shiggy would've thrown down the microsecond it looked like they weren't going to turn Eri over- Overhaul tried to get them out of sight.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Nakamura cuts in MHA are so weirdly picked half the time. After the one solid gold one (Deku vs Todoroki), his first cut this season is that fight between the two giant guys right at the start of the episode.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Aizawa got a pretty extensive backstory flashback in the Vigilantes manga just recently that puts a lot of how he acts into context. Vigilantes is very good and I recommend it highly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This makes me wonder all the more what would happen if Hagakure's quirk got shut off.
I think maybe the quirk-killer bullets might work on Hagekure but Aizawa's cancellation doesn't. Hagekure's invisibility isn't her actual quirk, but a heteromorphic feature. Basically like in the same way that Aizawa cancelling Tsuyu or Tokoyami or Ojirou's quirks doesn't make their heteromorphic traits disappear.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Just heard Rock Lock's dub voice since I only got access to the sub on hulu- whoever they cast is great.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hadn't heard of him until just now but it looks like he has credits in Black Clover and Attack on Titan too, go fig.

Either way he's great!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Given that Leech was just introduced to the series, it struck me how MHA is the idealistic future the X-Men never got. Things worked out like Xavier always wanted where "mutants" came to be accepted by Humans.
The problem was that the X Gene only expressed in a tiny part of the population vs MHA's 80% of new births after whatever the advent was.

E: incidentally I hope we never find out what the quirk advent was caused by

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
X muties can do some really wacky poo poo but that's mostly due to cape comic writing letting powers get extrapolated into insane poo poo.

Cyclops went from eye lasers to shooting kinetic energy to having his eyes be portals to the punch dimension.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Doctor Reynolds posted:

For only 20% of the population, normies sure do make up most of the crowdshots.
Well, a lot of non-heteromorph quirk havers exist. Also the anime completely robbed us of some of the better background muties.

The doggy/cat kemonomimi girls from an episode or two back made it in but you missed out on a bipedal rooster guy. Also the mall shot from the second season was missing some fish people and a family with toast for heads if I remember right.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kung Food posted:

Would be interesting if there is some hidden big bad trying to institute a human instrumentality like result though quirks.
This has a powerful early 2000's Anime-Original Bones ending aura

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It was a good episode but no big twist or action, so I'm not surprised. Feels like all the lead up to the Forest Lodge attack.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kung Food posted:

I often think about how a lot of the powers are wasted on being a better fight man. Like how the guy who can turn nuts and bolts gigantic could eliminate the need for mining or the girl who can make almost anything from her body should have a higher calling than crime fighting. Worst of all is the girl who becomes a super genius when she drinks tea. I can think of much better ways to use that then coming up with the optimal strategy for stopping a purse snatcher.
A lot of this is tied up in the fact that as far as we know even in the manga you need a hero license to use your quirk outside of private property or for work.

Ochako mentions that part of her desire to become a hero is to get licensed so she can also help her parent's business.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's weird how lovingly the character flashback stuff gets rendered but some of the big page action spreads honestly look kinda like poo poo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ugh. Volunteering for a 6er for that.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 9, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rhonne posted:

This is the anime thread.
I'm continuing a time-honored tradition of loving up the thread. I think I need to unsub from the threads so I have to look at the titles.

PMush Perfect posted:

Your avatar is fitting, because it's time to take a shot!
Time to pay the blind posting tax!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The way I always understood OFA is that it's a gigantic, ever-growing well of power you dip out of. All Might specifically refers to the holder as a vessel- so basically you're a vessel, you tap into OFA and fill up, and depending on how swole/good you are at controlling it you can handle different amounts of it.

All Might still had whatever power he had taken from OFA when he passed it on, and that slowly dwindled until it ran out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I guess the detailing probably would've been a bitch but Kirishima gets way more hosed up in the manga. He's literally covered head to toe in blood in it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Another thing to note is that this is about where Horikoshi basically died drawing this arc. He missed a week, and these chapters were really short. We've covered like 4-5 chapters or so in a single episode compared to 2-3.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi himself said he misses explaining it in the manga, but Rappa's quirk is that his shoulder/arm joints are essentially frictionless so he can throw impossibly hard/fast punch barrages without using much energy or stress on his body.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel like Toga and Twice's Initial meeting with Chisaki and crew was skipped. (Maybe I can't remember when it happened.)
This is seen later I think.

Great episode- I like the additions/direction on the Toga/Twice stuff since that was a bit sparse in the manga.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 21, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

What are you talking about? She had an incredibly convenient grey skintight suit on that mysteriously works with her quirk when no other clothing will.
I always took that as being stains from her transformation goo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Attestant posted:

Great stuff, but why does the episode turn in to a literal slideshow.
I'm guessing as a dramatic way to show the passage of time. This whole section is narrated by a generic narrator (not Deku) in the manga and basically Mirio fought Overhaul while quirkless for several minutes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also lol at the subs avoiding possible copyright infringement

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Which funny enough makes her about a year older than Kota.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm sure the rest of the online discourse will be "Why did Magne have to be the one who got blown up"/why was Magne designed like that, but I like that scene because it served a dual purpose of underscoring that the League is actually a more closeknit organization than Overhaul's despite being mostly comprised of murderous psychopaths and misfits- and underscoring what a gladhandling prick Overhaul is.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a bit that gets lost in this section with narration but they did a decent job I think.

I think they could've been a little heavier handed at the end explaining that Mirio managed to survive fighting Overhaul for several minutes while quirkless before he finally gassed out, since it looks like that all happens really quickly still- but the effort was good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They did an okay job trying to rework everything around cutting out the narrator from the manga, but it still kinda doesn't work.

The harder hitting context is kinda lost... basically Nighteye goes in and using his foresight- he knows he's going to eventually lose. In desperation he looks further into the future hoping to see where Eri is saved and Deku/Lemillion are alright and sees Midoriya die/Overhaul escape with Eri. I think Nighteye basically willingly jumping to his death in desperation is sort of lost in how they cut it up. Not sure how else you could really get that impact though. In the manga when he's getting skewered and he looks into the future only to see death I think his despair is captured better.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also I'm glad they didn't chop up Rock Lock's scene.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nephthys posted:

I heard that they're splitting focus between the season and the movie which could be why the animation has been pretty lacking (Nighteye vs Overhaul was half speedlines ffs).

Next episode should have some crazy sakuga.
Next episode has a Nakamura cut in it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's a little weird to me how conservative this season's been, especially visually tbh. I heard a lot in the runup to this season about how much better the team's production schedule was this time than it was for like Season 3, and while it's kinda showing in some regards - the story boards and character art are probably as good as the show's had so far - they really haven't even attempted anything as dynamic and ambitious in terms of flowing animation as, like, Deku vs Muscular, let alone any of the show's more famous highlights.
I dunno when most of this was produced- the scheduling was really good but they were producing the movie too for part of this.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Spiritus Nox posted:

Maybe that's why. Makes as much sense as anything else I can think of.
I'm guessing that's why, but we don't know how much of this season was basically finished before it even aired- we'll probably know if the cuts for the big scenes suddenly become better here at the end of this cour and into the second one.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 6, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ninjewtsu posted:

At some point deku is going to get to a level of power somewhat approaching that of all might and every fight is either going to go the one punch man route (the fight ends when the main character shows up) or the endless escalation to maintain the feeling of tension and threat will make everything really stupid
I dunno, we're up to two dudes with death touch abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe Nighteye was right. Maybe Mirio should've been the protagonist.....
Mirio basically had an entire manga's worth of Main Character Arc. There's basically nowhere for him to go. He lacked that "are you insane" x-factor All Might and Deku have which caused a moral failing (with good intentions), then he did what it took to make up for it and paid the piper.