Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nine was a distinct improvement over the last guy at least, who was basically a setpiece with legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

For me the fight choreography peaked with All Might doing his thing vs the first High End Nomu. They've done for this weird apocalyptic natural disaster aesthetic for Deku's Plus Ultra scenes and it doesn't work for me at all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

surf rock posted:

OK, opening this thread and studiously avoiding reading anything other than direct replies to avoid spoilers if I keep going with the show...

I just started the show this morning after having seen it get a ton of positive press over the past few years. I'm only a couple episodes in, but it's not grabbing me yet.

I watched the first few seasons of Naruto during its original run and enjoyed that, and I watched One Punch Man earlier this year and loved that. I feel like this show is a splicing of those two things but with an even younger target demographic and kind of a janky art style.

So my question is: am I misreading the show? For most people who love it, do they love it because of the action or the comedy or the characters or something else? I dunno if it's underwhelming me because it's just not resonating, or because I expected it to be one thing and it's actually something else.

It takes a little to come online but it from the end of season one it becomes a really fun shonen series (specifically, the actual antagonists get introduced and the show gets its first really outstanding action scene), if you have any interest in the genre at all I'd recommend you persevere at least until there. If it's still doing nothing for you then then yeah it's probably got going to click for you

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

surf rock posted:

OK, updating my Class 1-A power-rankings now that I've finished season two. I've also incorporated any other students I remember. Didn't bother including comments for everyone this time.

1.) Tsuyu Asui (Froppy) - Sue's right, that seal captain was adorable. Glad she got most of an episode to herself.
2.) Ochaco Uraraka (Uravity) - I hope she gets a big moment where she's also successful, because she's pretty great.
3.) Izuku Midoriya (Deku) - What a glow-up for the lead protagonist! Up 10 spots because he showed way more range this season and became very likable.
4.) Tenya Ida (Engenium) - Ida also got to show a lot more range this season. Still great!
5.) Shoto Todoroki (Shoto)
6.) Momo Yaoyorozu (Creati) - I was worried her entire run on the show would just be "isn't it funny that this serious, scholarly teenager also has huge tits???" but she finally got a little time to shine near the end, which was nice.
7.) Hitoshi Shinso (?) - I like the idea of someone with a seemingly villainous quirk just really sincerely wanting to be a hero.
7.) Fumikage Tokoyami (Tsukuyomi)
8.) Itsuka Kendo (Battle Fist) - Reminds me of Athena Cykes from the Ace Attorney games; love that.
9.) Mei Hatsume (?) - Slightly obnoxious, but turning the tournament into an infomercial was terrific.
10-11.) Eijiro Kirishima (Red Riot) and Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu (Real Steel)
12.) Mina Ashido (Alien Queen Pinky)
13.) Kyoka Jiro (Earphone Jack)
14.) Neito Monoma (?)
15.) Toru Hagakure (Invisible Girl)
16.) Mashirao Ojiro (Tailman)
17.) Denki Kaminari (Chargebolt)
18.) Ibara Shiozaki (?)
19.) Koji Koda (Anima)
20.) Rikido Sato (Sugarman) - Seriously, who the gently caress is this? Has he ever been onscreen?
21.) Mezo Shoji (Tentacole)
22.) Yuga Aoyama (Can't Stop Twinkling) - The hero name thing was funny, at least.
23.) Hanta Sero (Cellophane)
24.) Minoru Mineta (Grape Juice) - Congratulations to the horny baby for moving up one spot. Not because he was any better, but because someone else was worse.
25.) Katsuki Bakugo (Lord Explosion Murder) - Just obnoxious. Not even needed as a rival since Todoroki exists. I enjoy the show less every time he's on the screen, especially because Deku becomes a worse character every time he's around as well.

Adding some for the teachers as well:

1.) All Might - I kind of hated this character in the first few episodes, but it's grown on me a ton. I also recently that it was Piccolo's voice actor doing him and that made it much more enjoyable.
2.) Nezu - I've never collected plush toys but I'm tempted to get one of him.
3.) Midnight - As someone who often struggles with falling asleep, I would trade a bar of solid gold to know someone with her quirk.
4.) Mr. Snipe - Big fan of robo-McCree.
5.) Cementoss - Good dude.
6.) Thirteen - Great design.
7.) Eraser Head - Still feels like a Kakashi knockoff.
8.) Ectoplasm - Didn't really get a sense of him.
9.) Power Loader - See #8 but factor in worse design.
10.) Present Mic - Annoying.

And power rankings for the intro/outro music...

1.) Season 1 intro
2.) Season 2 first outro
3.) Season 2 second intro
4.) Season 1 outro
5.) Season 2 second outro
6.) Season 2 first intro

Last thing: is hugging not a thing in Japan? I feel like anime has like >1% of the hugging that would actually happen under these circumstances.

You missed a character from your rankings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R3Ydn3vL7w

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

I stand by my belief that this will only be a good show if he dies.

Buh? Bakugo is a little poo poo but he is a teenager and not only never crossed the line but has actively become a better and less abusive person. What has he done that would ever necessitate his death as atonement?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Did anyone here not notice that? I thought the lack of top tier female superheroes and extremely horny designs was incredibly obvious throughout. It's not particularly egregious for the genre but it doesn't rise above it at all either

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also in a series which falls back on power levels to a fair degree there could be at least one female member of the class with an a-lister quirk, even all of the supporting character heavies are men!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Well good news, the upcoming season will feature classes 1A and 1B battling it out so there's gonna be plenty of chances for strong girls to show their stuff.

I don't know if this is ironic or not

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kill La Kill is a really weird one in that is definitely is doing a Thing with its nudity & fashion theme but it also incredibly horny about it too. I absolutely would not hold it up as a fanservice free anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah Kojima kinda set himself up for that with that 'you will be ashamed for your actions and feelings' crap