Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does it matter if one likes Bakugo or not? Do you have to like everyone for their stories to be interesting?

I wouldn't want to be friends with Bakugo, but I think his place in the story is super interesting from a narrative viewpoint. A guy that is way too full of himself getting a dose of reality when it is appropriate and while he was the top dog of his last school, he's having some serious issues with his new classmates not immediately fawning over him and it's obvious that his hangups of how the natural world ought to be with Deku at the bottom of the pecking order is holding him back.

He has made a few friends, but they are all tough guys that can handle abuse more than he can dish it out.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that this is "my hero school", not "my favorite friends club (Bakugo not allowed)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

But you can't really do that with Bakugo either, because he is continually rewarded by the story, in terms of both material victories and validation of his strength as well as his perspective. He's a genius with the strongest superpower who always works the hardest, so uhhhhhhh why should I give a poo poo about his character arc if the story clearly doesn't? He's not becoming a functioning person at any appreciable speed, and the series seems to think he's hot poo poo so where's the room for him to grow anyway?

I think the idea of Bakugo is really strong but the execution is just insufferable because his development, while not entirely non-existent, isn't being dramatized well. Most of his "growth" thus far has been very conspicuously crafted to preserve his ego.
I think you misinterpret a lot of the story if this is your take-away. Bakugo's ego is constantly being challenged by the rest of the class. His victories have been hallow.

The entire tournament they had tried to drive home just how unsatisfied he was. Yeah, he got 1st place, but it was pointless, because his opponent at the end didn't even put in half of an effort.

I don't think the show tries to put him on any type of pillar here, he forces Deku and his team to plan around his psychology to rescue him.

I guess he hasn't been completely broken into a crying mess?

Arist posted:

Truth is stranger than fiction. Stories have to loving make sense. Deku's refusal to be mad at Bakugo at all makes him seem like a loving doormat.
He was a doormat until like last season where they beat the poo poo out of each other.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The best thing about this is that we got a glimpse of what is at the end of the training for Deku. It was wonderful to see it in all of its DBZ super saiyan 2 form.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What is with this weird hate for Nighteye?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
She is a literal Deus Ex Machina, so...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was used on him when he went to meet with Overhaul.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
We just saw guns used this last season, to great effect. Not just against Lemillion either, we saw it used against Suneater and Red Riot. And we also got to see precisely why guns can be both handy and why they are rendered useless.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The guy literally had a shirt that reads E=MC² might tell you how the show informs you about a characters intelligence.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If I remember correctly, this was the point where someone reminded him about the Traitor subplot as he had forgotten about it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Short people are real, one helped me through a ticket booth in Japan.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I just don't quite buy that it was OfA since they didn't pop up like during the tournament, and it had didn't work out for All Might. Eri was the main new factor.

Also since her body was used to negate quirks, I think it isn't a strange thing if it can also negate "fate" or even Night-eye's quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's also that she's the big X-factor the entire arc revolves around along with her quirk. The text only matters as far as acknowledging that if Eri wasn't there, Deku could not go 100% and his fate would have been sealed.