Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Fat and Useless posted:

Deku would be dead, Mirio would probably be okay after seeing Deku go splat to touch but he's sure as gently caress not saving the girl. Sir would then get to tell All Might I told you so while they try and scrape up Deku's DNA hoping his bloodstain has the will to pass OFA on.

And to be fair this whole thing was eating Deku's soft marshmallow hero brain alive while Mirio has an extra 2 years of experience to resist the urge to pull Overhauls pants down while Deku runs like hell with Eri.

If they commit to the fight the Mirio wrecks them. His whole gimmick was being unstoppable in a fight. All Deku would have to do is run, which he's very good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

e: It's the first thing I warned your asses about. Oh my buddha. :cripes:
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Shyrka posted:

I'm really digging Gentle and La Brava's whole deal. Is his quirk some kind of cartoon physics thing? No spoilers, just the effect when he and La Brava jumped onto the rooftop felt a bit like that and it would be really powerful in a fight.

But the highlight was All Might teaching Deku how to make pressure waves. Having him go in detail with the mechanics of One For All and building on the stuff Deku's developed up until now was really neat, shows how far he's come as a teacher that he can bring it all together like that for his student now.

Not going to spoil it but you're not far off. It's a very cool quirk concept that he uses creatively. It's kind of like something you'd get out of Jojo where the basic concept has a lot of uses.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

The Speed Force from The Flash is kiiiiind of like that. You can tap into it and maybe speak to/contact other speed force users, or retreat into it completely (usually for worse).

I don't believe there's anything where the power grows through succession like it's the Avatar: Last Airbender skillset.

Marvel has The Phoenix Force (posesses individuals with phenomenal cosmic power but makes them go mad), and Captain Universe (cosmic entity that empowers people for a time) but no real component involving passing the power on.

The Speed Force isn't handed off intentionally like One For All is, even though The Flash is one of two franchises in Big 2 history to actually legitimately pass a mantle from mentor to mentee without it being a temporary gimmick. Though they kind of backpedaled on that in the last decade.

The GL Ring is close but the ring chooses the closest random person who qualifies rather than the predecessor choosing.

The actual answer is Starman. Which has one of the best self contained cape comics out there and the other franchise besides The Flash I mentioned earlier -- written by James Robinson. The Cosmic Staff is very intentionally passed down from Ted to David to Jack (The main one in the James Robinson story) to Courtney.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

It was also believed that Mirio was the closest person to reaching All Might rather than Endeavor, he just didn't have the heroic success history to rise in the rankings yet because he was still in school.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

To be honest, I don't really see what Mirio would even gain from having One for All with his existing power set. I mean yes, obviously the super strength, but Mirio's fighting style doesn't need super strength. He's a hit and run fighter that can just bypass all your defenses and punch you square in the kidneys. Like Deku's fight with Muscular? Mirio could have handled that in way less time by just phasing through Muscular's... muscle shield and hitting him where he actually felt it. Even in the fight with Overhaul, Mirio wasn't losing until he had to stop to protect Eri and then lost his power. I'm sure there's situations where having super strength in addition to his current powers would be a huge help to Mirio but as it stood at the time, Mirio was going to be a great hero no matter what. Just giving him more power instead of empowering someone who can't fight is kind of worthless. Like TheKingofSprings said, now there's two heroes instead of one.

Fighting enemies too durable for his regular human capability punches to hurt. His power stops him from carrying any type of weapon that can increase his offensive output. So he'd be absolutely useless against, say, that first Noumu All Might took out by overpowering its shock absorption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Zzulu posted:

What happens if Mirio phases into someone? Like phasing his fist into a nomu brain

The core aspect of his power is if he phases into solid matter he gets ejected at high velocity. It's how he seemingly teleports. If he phases his fist inside of someone and unphases to "punch" them on the inside his fist would get ejected instead of hitting them. People tend to be solid on the inside.