Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Batman also (mostly) doesn't fight against people who have powers themselves. If every single criminal that Batman ever fought had superpowers and wildly different superpowers at that then yeah, he'd be at a huge disadvantage because he could never know if this mugger he's about to get the drop on is just a particularly strong dude or if he can turn his arms into bazookas or what.

Aizawa is the closest equivalent to Batman in MHA and it's telling that Aizawa still has to have a quirk himself in order to work. He can't just kick dudes in the face, he has to be able to turn off whatever special thing they can do first.

At any rate, yes early season 1 kinda sucks. It's sort of a commitment but if you can at least get through all of the first season (it's not that long) and watch the USJ arc, I think that's where the show really starts to get its engine revving. Everything up to that point is just set up and it definitely drags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

surf rock posted:

I'm definitely onboard with this. A lot of the classmates felt pretty one-note so far, so I'm looking forward to learning more about them.

Not every character has had their time in the sun in even the manga at this point, much less the anime. But for the most part, nearly every character has had something cool to do, just some more than others. Based on your favorite character list, you should really enjoy season 2, where Iida gets a fair amount of spotlight and Tsuyu gets an entire episode to herself.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

christmas boots posted:

All Might kind of has a different Superman problem going on in that society took his existence and the security he provided for granted and was totally unprepared when that went away

Which is actually one of the things Lex Luthor most frequently complains about in regards to Superman - that humanity is becoming too reliant on him and needs to solve their own problems. So I guess in the MHA universe, Lex has finally been vindicated.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yeah I've seen a lot of people say that until Bakugo apologizes sincerely for that specific instance, they can never forgive him. Meanwhile Deku really... doesn't seem to feel all that strongly about it. Deku didn't even seem all that bothered by it at the time. All he said was "Stupid. If I did do it, you'd get in trouble." To me personally, it was a lovely teenager thing to say but also I said a lot of lovely things as a teenager too (including a lot of homophobic poo poo that became very ironic now that I'm an adult queer) and at some point you have to remember Bakugo was 13 when he said it.

I find Bakugo fascinating as a character but not really likeable until Season 3. He's my favorite character now but he definitely wasn't at the start, although the sports festival did a LOT to improve him for me - I'm a huge fan of his and Deku's belief that it's very disrespectful to hold back in a fight. I particularly liked that he stated up front that he was going to win, pissed off the crowd who would have all been righteously smug if he'd lost, then when he did win, he didn't even want it! Because Todoroki hadn't even tried, so the win wasn't worth anything.

Also for what it's worth, Todoroki is definitely not Deku's rival. He sets himself up as one early on but it gets thrown out the window really fast after season 2. Bakugo is the rival character.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

yeah the license exam scene was pretty telling re: bakugo's brain

what he meant: "your injuries aren't severe enough to necessitate my personal attention, please get yourselves to a safe area and i'll deal with threats elsewhere"

what he said: "gently caress you, gently caress this, gently caress off"

and as the proctors correctly pointed out, being correct doesn't matter if you're such a caustic rear end in a top hat that you cause distress to the people you're trying to help

By the same token though, Deku also lost points on the licensing exam because he was trying to coddle a kid instead of being firm and in command of the situation in order to best help them. There's something to be said for kindness but in a crisis situation, what you really need is efficiency and confidence. Deku and Bakugo are on opposite ends of a spectrum where both extremes are actually pretty bad and they need to work their way towards the middle.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

surf rock posted:

- I forgot to mention after the season one power rankings: I like that everybody in Class 1-A gets along, minus Bakugo. They have regular disagreements, which makes sense, but they're all good-natured kids. It reminds me of my high school experience a lot more than most media depictions of school.

I actually really like that most of 1-A seems to like Bakugo just fine, regardless of the fact that he doesn't seem to like them back. They're not at all afraid of him and treat his personality like an unfortunate side effect but he's still one of them and they care about him. Kirishima and Kaminari both follow him around like puppies (and Bakugo canonically tutors Kirishima at least so it's clearly not a one way street). In season 4, Bakugo kind of expands his friend group just slightly (with the only person in all of class 1-A more emotionally stunted than him) so look forward to that.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Tsuyu has siblings, she's the oldest of three I believe. Everyone else in her family is also very froggy :3:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Larryb posted:

I kind of want to see more of Tsuyu’s family honestly (even the manga hasn’t touched on them at all aside from a little bonus chapter the OVA in question was somewhat based on), especially her giant toad dad.

I could have sworn they showed up in the main anime at some point but I checked and I guess they don't? I haven't seen the OVAs so I have no idea where I saw the frog family. At any rate, they look like this! Spoilered just in case.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

March 27th according to trailers.

Also yeah, surf rock, the yakuza arc was really..... eh. And I loving hate Nighteye. Glad he's dead. I like Mirio as a person but it was a weird arc and he didn't exactly make it shine. On the other hand, I loving love Inasa and I hope he gets to show up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

To be honest, I don't really see what Mirio would even gain from having One for All with his existing power set. I mean yes, obviously the super strength, but Mirio's fighting style doesn't need super strength. He's a hit and run fighter that can just bypass all your defenses and punch you square in the kidneys. Like Deku's fight with Muscular? Mirio could have handled that in way less time by just phasing through Muscular's... muscle shield and hitting him where he actually felt it. Even in the fight with Overhaul, Mirio wasn't losing until he had to stop to protect Eri and then lost his power. I'm sure there's situations where having super strength in addition to his current powers would be a huge help to Mirio but as it stood at the time, Mirio was going to be a great hero no matter what. Just giving him more power instead of empowering someone who can't fight is kind of worthless. Like TheKingofSprings said, now there's two heroes instead of one.