Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

condolences in advance to all the anime watchers enduring the manga readers complaining for months about an arc you haven't gotten to experience yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

la brava's anime introduction happening the day after her birthday (valentine's day) is cute happenstance

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Junpei posted:

Toga is a cool and good character but I can't say why

knives are cool, fangs are cool

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Junpei posted:

See, my headcanon is that Eri's quirk screwed with the visions because it also involves time.

that at least adds an interesting wrinkle to the otherwise very pat 'hero changes destiny by believing so hard!!!'

i actually like nighteye more than the average goon but that aspect stunk real bad

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

that kind of sums up nighteye's quirk in general: he can see people's future! [an issue or two later] but only an hour at a time! [another issue or two later] well he can do it farther than that but then it gets hazy in some vaguely explained way! [another couple of issues] and the future he sees is always right! [a lot more issues later] oh nevermind

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

That it's expected is actually a large part of what makes it suck rear end

yeah, MHA is very by the numbers shonen but it's usually done well enough that the plot beats everyone is expecting is either done satisfyingly or has enough of a wrinkle or extra thought put into it that it doesn't match your expectations exactly

'deku just tried super-duper hard and that changed destiny' doesn't really do either of those

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Does Nighteye remind people in this thread of their step-dad or something

Jesus

a nihilistic nerd who likes children's cartoons

nighteye reminds them of themselves

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

I'm glad people like Gentle. I loved this character when I read him in the manga but everyone seemed to think he was a dumb waste of time :(. But he's my kind of guy.

idk who 'everyone' is but i remember the manga thread really enjoyed him when this arc was happening

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

horikoshi has like a million spider-man and venom figures, it could very easily be an intentional homage

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

all might did die against a villain but toshinori survived

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

my only real problem with this otherwise good arc is i don't think the 'if literally anything goes wrong the school will get closed down' stake escalation was really needed. it's already enough to have deku not want all the effort his classmates have spent the past few weeks to go to waste and wanting eri to have a good time

all it really does is make gentle look like a worse person than the rest of the story seems to intend and makes horikoshi seem like he's allergic to having a low-stakes arc

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

wait what the hell, i just skimmed through the relevant manga chapters and now i can't find what i'm talking about

did i just completely make that up??? :psyduck:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

instead of blaming myself i'll just blame a bad scanlation the first time i read it, that seems like the kind of mistake that'd crop up there

anyway in that case i have literally zero complaints about the gentle arc, good job horikoshi

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

vigilantes had definitely started by now, iirc our first look at the quirk boosting drug we see in the overhaul arc was actually in the first couple of chapters of vigilantes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pakled posted:

I know anime is weird about characters' ages but lol I can't believe that Gentle and La Brava are both apparently in their 20's

gentle's 32 actually, and he'd look it if he didn't have naturally grey hair and dressed like a normal dude