Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

Tsuyu is ok but "acting like villains not heroes" still has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Quirk users breaking the law is the definition of Villain, isn't it?

Our protagonists are training to grow up and be enforcers of the law so breaking the law is kinda hypocritical of them a s Froppy pointed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is a random question that has nothing to do with the new season which I'm just starting to watch now.

Is there nobody in MHA with a super regeneration Quirk that AfO could steal?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm kinda slow and dumb but an idea just occurred to me.

Most Quirks are genetic. What would happen if a One For All user had a child? We know Nana had a child but I dunno if she had One For All during that time.

And what of All For One? Could he theoretically pass on all his Quirks if he had a child?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That flashback doesn't make any sense to me. It was right after the All For One fight, right? So that was five or six years ago. So why was Nezu there talking about Mirio who wouldn't have even been at UA yet?

I interpret it as being five or six years ago because Nighteye makes his prediction and then we go to the present where All Might says it's been five years now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

He wasn't talking about Mirio at all during the flashback to All Mights and Nighteyes argument. He was just suggesting at that time that looking for a successor amongst student is an option.
He talked about Mirio during a completely different flashback shown in an earlier episode, when All Might actually became a teacher, which would've been some time during or slightly before season 1.

Huh, you're right. My bad then.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Given that Leech was just introduced to the series, it struck me how MHA is the idealistic future the X-Men never got. Things worked out like Xavier always wanted where "mutants" came to be accepted by Humans.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The problem was that the X Gene only expressed in a tiny part of the population vs MHA's 80% of new births after whatever the advent was.

E: incidentally I hope we never find out what the quirk advent was caused by

I asked about that when I got into the series and somebody said it is just a conceit of the story. Having seen the anime up to this point, I agree. There is no possible way to "explain" how all he myriad Quirks we've seen can have a common source.

Mutants are almost mundane by comparison to all the weird poo poo people in MHA can do.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

There's some handwave about how if he doesn't put them back together immediately, they stay dead, but it's never clarified how long, and it's completely plausible that it's just an excuse because Chisaki doesn't like fixing people.

What is with the villains in this show and having quirks that'd make them great heroes? Is it a deliberate theme? Chisaki being a medical professional would be able to heal Nighteye, Ingenium, even All Might. I know, in fiction, it's because it'd remove all tension, it's just an interesting repeated theme. Many of the villains have powers that could be used to help people to incredible effect, but they're not interested in that.

TL;DR:

Pretty much every villain in the setting besides All For One is a lunatic. Overhaul is more composed and less blatantly insane than the League but he's still clearly a bundle of mental issues.

He despises Quirks and wants only their eradication. That seems to be his main priority. He could make his Yakuza group #1 again without having the stated goal of wiping out Quirk users but the fact he calls them "unclean" or "filth" or "diseased" or whatever gives it away. His primary ambition is not riches or the revival of the Yakuza, it's purging society of Quirks.

I liked him and the last few episodes a lot.

edit:

So apparently this is a big thing the anime left out, a young Overhaul reading a bout how Quirks are maybe a virus spread by rodents

It explains a lot about why he hates Quirks so much.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 24, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just watched Episode 77

So a key point of this arc was to Worf Overhaul and his Yakuza. They were introduced as big threats for the League to get the better of and thus establish their evil cred.

I get this is supposed to be the League finally maybe becoming serious threats but they only accomplished anything after the Heroes did all the work. Robbing and mutilating a wounded, incapacitated Overhaul doesn't prove anything. They're still the losers who got owned by Gran Torino and of course Overhaul.

They have yet to win any real fights or establish themselves as actual threats

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Somebody brought up an interesting point elsewhere that I hadn't considered. I liked Overhaul a lot and was unhappy with his end because it's apparent he was introduced for no other reason than to be sacrificed to a villain I care less about. His final impotent, agonized shriek was to show he had lost and Shigaraki had won.

But what was suggested to me was that his total despair had less to do with his plans going up in smoke and more to do with him now being powerless. With him powerless, there is apparently no way to help his father. Chisaki put him in that coma sure but it's also obvious he intended to heal his "pops" at some point. Even if his plan with the bullets fell through, as long as he had his Quirk he could help restore the old Yakuza leader.

Well now he has no Quirk and his beloved father is condemned to a coma forever. The bullets and world domination aren't what crushed his spirit, it was the realization the one person he loved was trapped in a fate worse than death.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Chisaki's whole deal is that he thought everyone he came in contact with and everyone he used were absolutely expendable and just scum. The whole mask thing was so he didn't have to breathe the same air as that trash. He had no plan to save that old man. He's a selfish rear end in a top hat who wants to put himself on top and see's the world as diseased and sick, who consistently lies and manipulates everyone that he works with. They hammer that over and over and over to set him apart from the League of Villains who, while murderous assholes, do genuinely do care about one another (See: Toga and Twice's interactions, everything about their reaction to Magne's murder and misgendering). Chisaki wasn't going to save his mentor, that's something the LoV would do, not the Yakuza.

There is explicitly a scene of him vowing to restore his father in the anime and I would imagine it's in the manga as well. He has no reason to lie there, it was just him and the old comatose man. He also spoke in a very soft, clearly emotional way, even calling him "pops" which sticks with me as it's such a...personal way of phrasing to show how he felt about this man.

It seemed very apparent he loved the old man and was loyal to him in his own warped, villainous way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I think its possible for both things to be true. Chisaki does seem to honestly care about his adoptive father as we do see him looking up to him in flashbacks but his obsession clearly got the better of him and he convinced himself that it was all for his step-dads best interests while going further and further off the deep end. Chisaki just sees his will as the only one that matters and refuses to compromise. You can see in his flashbacks that its not the first time he overstepped his place and acted outside of the Boss's wishes. I think he did start out wanting to revive the Yakuza but then at some point the possibilities of what Eri meant for his worldview became more important.

Its similar to how Stain has some genuinely good criticisms of Hero culture and does have a pretty good idea of what it means to be truly heroic but his fanaticism turned him into an uncompromising psycho and his original good intentions warped out of control.

Somebody once put it this way to me: No matter how smart the villain is, evil itself is not a rational choice.

All for One told a little Tomura "the world shouldn't be so cruel" because that little boy was all alone in the world and ignored by society. If Shigaraki had his way, every child in the world would be like he was, frightened and alone and ignored by the world.

These are bad people and their motives and actions are not strictly coherent. Chisaki's love for the old man existed side by side with his narcissism. and fanatical hatred of Quirks.

Fartbox posted:

I don't even remember what Stains motives were I just remember he was a serial killer

If you ever heard of the philosopher Immanuel Kant, he believed you should do something because it's right. You should take no pleasure in it, you do it simply because it is the right thing to do.

Altruism and self-sacrifice are what Stain idealized. Heroes should help society for no reason other than it is what Heroes do. If they let other "impure" motives into their hearts - like Iida's lust for revenge or Endeavor's quest for glory - they are bad Heroes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And of course his last act was to drag his broken body over towards Endeavor and scream about how he was a false hero.

This was right after we had learned all about Endeavor's awfulness.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Not to derail the conversation but has anyone here speculated on what exactly the League will do with the Quirk destroying bullets? They only have a few so it must be a very targeted, specific thing.

I wonder if the bullets work on All For One? Would one negate his proper Quirk, just one of his stolen Quirks, all of them at once?

'Cuz I don't se Tomura being AfO's lackey forever. Could use one of those bullets on him at some future date.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does databook info count as spoilers for this thread?

In an effort to console me and my Overhaul fandom, I was informed of what the latest MHA databook said for Chisaki: that his arms were "treated" and his quirk "remodeled/reconstructed"

https://oriigami.tumblr.com/post/188927708463/ultra-analysis-overhaul

This thumblr person has the right idea. Maybe he was not a one-and-done fella. Overhaul has not yet begun to fight!

I mean, he probably is done, but canon says there is hope and if that hope only exists in my heart and fanfiction, I'll take it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Why do you want more of him?

Because he's my favorite main villain so far apart from All for One.. I like his design and voice and motivations and powerset. I think I mentioned here that MHA is sort of like X-Men but it's the one good future where everyone accepted Mutants and Mutantkind did overtake normal humans. Then here comes Overhaul, a "mutant" who detests his own kind and wants them wiped out. I find that interesting, too.

I've just been rather unimpressed with the League so far. Apart from Muscular, they can barely fight. Remember when all five of them couldn't defeat or capture Bakugo? They haven't really improved since then. In fact, they got worse, Magne is dead.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Asuron posted:

No, you’re 100% right. They’re just misreading it

It says his quirk was reconstructed/remodeled, not gone. Somebody corrects the translation at the bottom of the tumblr page.

There's another translation I didn't include because it's a tweet and can't be spoilered
https://twitter.com/shibuyasmash/status/1180138058181529600?s=20

More importantly, he's at the same prison as Stain and All for One. Something big has to go down there.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 27, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Asuron posted:

I would take a fan translation where even they are questioning if that was what’s written with a grain of salt dude.

Doesn’t make sense narratively either, whole point of the scene was to show his spirit being crushed with his arms being taken away. If it gets fixed, that defeats the whole point of writing that scenario.

That's fair although why even put a note about his arms and quirk being treated if nothing has changed? Like, the mangaka is clearly filling in the gaps about what happened after we last saw him.

I wouldn't be opposed to finding somebody else who can read Japanese and asking their opinion, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Something I never thought of:

During Izuku's and Overhaul's fight, I thought they just used All for One's theme because it's a big climactic fight with a strong villain.

I didn't give the show enough credit.Listening to AFO's theme on YT and lots of comments on how, far from being a song for Overhaul, it's the theme for Deku because at that time we are getting things from Overhaul's viewpoint. He had just had flashbacks and everything. From Overhaul's perspective, One For All at 100% is as terrifying and threatening as All for One. At that moment, Izuku's power was so overwhelming that Overhaul was as scared as anybody who had ever faced All for One.

The kid was also of course obliterating his body during all this which adds to the intimidating nature of that moment.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ya know, one of many reasons I'm not too cheery about Shigaraki beating Overhaul is I don't buy the supposed contrast being established here At least this is the contrast a lot of fans say its in play.

"Overhaul sacrificed his loyal followers while the League cares about each other."

Now, do Toga and Twice have loyalty to the League and stuff? Sure. And Overhaul's followers were very loyal, too.

Do I think for a second that Shigaraki will hesitate to disintegrate Toga and the rest of them when he has no further need of them? Nope. The rest of them are probably sincerely loyal dupes just like Overhaul's followers were but Shigaraki is as selfish and depraved as All for One or Overhaul. He'll kill them all and maybe laugh while doing it.

If I'm supposed to think he actually cares about any of them, I haven't been convinced of that. He's the success to a guy named All for One.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Skypie posted:

I don't think this tracks with what we've seen from All For One though. Like, the dude gave himself away before his regeneration was complete to bail out Shigaraki and all his subordinates. He didn't kill any of them for failing, and if he felt they were no longer useful (and they absolutely weren't because they totally misjudged their mark and got busted by police within like 48 hours), he'd have just let them get locked up in turbo jail.

Instead he jumps in, knowing he's gonna have to tangle with All Might again and gets the entire league out, more or less unharmed. I'm sure AfO smoked some dudes in the past, but I also don't think he or Shigaraki are characterized as generic evil guys who kill people for making mistakes. AFO himself more or less tells Shigaraki that it's ok to mess up so long as you try again.

I don't see Overhaul taking that track with anyone

That's all fair but I think it's also fair to say Tomura is a very, very special case. Lots of theories about why exactly AfO looks out for him so much but the point is, he doesn't have that kind of relationship with anyone else. For all we know, the last person he cared about was his brother who died decades ago.

One thing that gets totally overlooked in the series is the Nomu. They have to be the single cruelest and most hosed up things we've seen from AfO but they don't get much attention at all. The USJ Nomu was some low level criminal, maybe a bottom rung underling of AfO, who he turned into this mindless abomination..That's what all Nomu are but our heroes don't seem to reflect on these poor tortured human beings. I have to wonder how many are still "alive."

All for One is certainly too intelligent to just off people on a whim but does he actually care for anyone besides Tomura? I don't think so.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Does he even care about Tomura? I thought the only reason he was making him into his successor was to get at All Might since he's related to the previous One for All user.

That was probably his initial motivation but it's hardly rare in stories or real life for such motives to decay with time. You take in this boy with the sole goal of using him as a weapon against your enemy but eventually come to have some genuine affection for him.

As noted by the poster I replied to, All for One threw himself into a fight he knew he could very easily lose for the sole sake of protecting Tomura. He could have easily left them all to be imprisoned and lost nothing.

I guess you could argue it's more a Darth Bane situation than actual feeling. He sees the future of the dark side in Shigaraki and wants to nurture and protect that as opposed to caring about Tomura.

But the point is, he sees some value in Tomura beyond just sticking it to All Might.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 29, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

No one is denying Toga and Twice care about each other. They are outcasts who actively sought out companionship which is why they are in the League in the first place. Shigaraki meanwhile assembled his team of pawns for the purpose of destroying Hero society.

Shigaraki has never been framed as wanting friends or affection.. He's a selfish brat from the beginning to now, he's just more competent than he used to be.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That's not even getting into Shigaraki going from "Show him the door" to immediately trying to murder Overhaul on the spot for killing Magne.

That's very easy to explain. He killed Shigaraki's underling. He took away Tomura's possession.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

Expressly not why Toga joined.

Fair enough. She was a Stain follower, right?

My mistake.

Of course she's as crazy as Shigaraki so I have no idea what she saw in Stain.

edit:

Maybe I just need to rewatch Season 4 again from start to where we are now and without the weekly wait periods and I'll pick up on this character development in Tomura. I'm just having a hard time believing the character we've seen for three seasons now is capable of caring about really anyone except All for One.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 29, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fair enough to all the people arguing for Shigaraki genuinely caring for the League. I concede that.

Tenebrais posted:

It's also probably worth noticing that the Hissaikai weren't loyal to Overhaul, all their loyalties were distinctly to the old boss, and they only followed Overhaul out of respect for the chain of command. No one seemed to particularly like Overhaul. Meanwhile, even if Tomura doesn't care much for his followers, they certainly care about him and are loyal to him personally. (Of course, this varies too; some are more in it for the end goal, or just to to get their jollies being evil. But the ones that get the most focus are loyal.)

As Roland notes, he had a few people very loyal to him. The arc gave me strong flashbacks to Naruto and specifically Orochimaru and Kimimaro. "In my darkest hour he appeared to me and saved me and I will pledge my undying loyalty to him no matter what he does to me or others."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Its worth noting that Toga also wants to kill Stain and then become him, because she's just that kind of crazy gal. She doesn't care about his ideology specifically, she just wants him for his body in the most literal sense possible. She joined the League to get closer to that and also because its tough for her to be herself in polite society.

Toga's interesting in that her Quirk seems to have radically affected her personality, since she's obsessed with peoples blood and with transforming into people she's attracted to. No other character revolves around their quirk to the same extent iirc.

Remember mind control guy who, in spite of having a traditionally evil power, really wanted to be a hero?

How many villains have had clearly evil quirks and were thus evil? Usually any blood-related power is pretty evil and Stain and Toga are both bad guys. Shigaraki can decay and destroys people and that's a pretty horrifying power so he's evil.

I don't think we've seen any heroes since brainwash kid that have "evil" quirks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rhonne posted:

What defines an "evil" quirk though? Endeavor sets people on fire for a living, 13 creates mini black holes that can suck anything up, Tokoyami has a crazy shadow spirit that gets more violent in the dark, and Mina can melt people's faces off with her acid. Would you call any of those quirks "evil"?

I guess it's all in how the narrative presents it. Yes, Mina could do some horrific damage with her quirk but she's mostly just used it to...skate around? We're never going to see her burn off somebody's face.

@ all the examples given

Fair enough.

I guess I'm just saying it's no surprise Toga is a bad person with a quirk like that. Just as Twice's quirk turned him into a crazy man. If you have the power to disintegrate people with a touch, it's very possible you're gonna end up ostracized by society. It's unsurprising these folks ended up as bad people with the powers they were burdened with is all I was trying to say.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Everything about Mineta is disgusting and the worst from his design to his powers to his voice. If he had anything resembling charisma, people might like him. As it is, he's universally recognized as a despicable little troll which in turn means nobody sympathizes with or likes his perviness.

I approve of the pervert character being as unlikable as possible so we can all enjoy their suffering.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The dub still comes out every Saturday right even though they're a week behind the sub now for whatever reason?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

I would rather just not have the character at all.

Incidentally, Mineta is a lot of things. But one thing that he is not is intentionally unlikable.

You really think that design was intended to get him over with the fans?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nephthys posted:

After Deku met Shigaraki in the mall, Bakugo tells him that he should have just gone 100% and killed him* regardless of the consequences or risks.

So... probably something like that.

* this is the one time I think Bakugo was being literal when he talks about killing someone.

Funny how alike they are in a way. Midoriya is learning that he can't just keep destroying his body for others. If he recklessly throws his all into something to save somebody right now, what happens if he needs to save somebody a few minutes later?

Midoriya would be reckless and go 100% and gently caress the consequences to help others. Bakugo would encourage the same but so he could destroy his enemy.

As for Bakugo and Eri....do we really think she'd have warmed up to him the way she did to Midoriya? I have severe doubts. It's the asme situation as with Todoroki in the tournament. Bakugo has improved since then but Izuku is still the kind of guy who radiates an aura of compassion that lets you know he cares for you. Bakugo...not so much.

I'm pretty sure Overhaul would have killed him dead.

I had a similar thought about if Bakugo had been there for the Stain fight. Midoriya, Iida, and Todoroki only lived due to trust and teamwork. Bakugo being there would throw all of that off and probably get them killed.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 1, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Bakugou is good at everything he does except not being an rear end in a top hat. Turns out that makes it pretty hard to be a good hero.

My thoughts exactly. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly MHA is trying to tell us is the best Hero.

I used to think it was All Might; All Might was the ideal the setting sets as the perfect Hero. After Deku's and Bakugo's second fight All Might says a Hero needs more than just Midoriya's altruism. They need Bakugo's pride and drive to be the best.

But others have said the series is far more ambivalent on how good All Might was in the end. He did good things and he was a good person but was his Symbol of Peace the best route to take for improving society? No matter how good one guy is, they can't maintain society forever. Maybe All Might did some damage to society, if unintentionally.

I don't know if I believe this interpretation. I always remember the scene where All for One exposes All Might's weakened state to the world. In a more cynical work, the masses that adored him would turn on their former champion in a second. That is of course not what happened.Society still loves their All Might. As such, I don't know if I'm really supposed to think of All Might as failing in any sense.

That being said, I don't think Izuku needs to improve or change. I don't think pride is necessary for a great Hero even if MHA possibly insists that it is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How popular is the theory that All for One is Deku's father? My GF is very big on this. I was talking to her about the theories for why AFO's theme plays when Deku fought Overhaul and that was her input.

I think it's revealed somewhere that Deku's father is some random guy elsewhere. Maybe? I don't pursue these things, I was just told it. Of course there's the whole doctor who said he had no Quirk being All for One's doctor maybe? So who knows, maybe Deku and AFO do have some relation and Izuku had a Quirk all along but it was "worthless" like AFO's brother's and the doc was lying. This was something suggested in the regular MHA thread elsewhere.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A Bug posted:

AFO's theme plays because the mood of the scene is from Overhaul's perspective. Between that and Deku silhouetted before knocking off his mask, it frames how terrifying Deku (and All Might by extension) would be to a villain at full power. Even the shot of Overhaul's face looks wide-eyed and scared.

I understand. I agree with that interpretation, too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, the main one is him being the only member of the league of villains whose name is still unknown, and who very specifically didn't meet Endeavor. But we also hear things like that one year a work study went really bad, and Dabi joined up after Stain's speeches, when Stain was noted as going after the former number 2 hero.

It's not thick on the ground, exactly, but there's enough to hint something's going on.

Maybe all the burns are from him being pushed too far by Endeavor but his lack of an ice quirk to regulate his body caused the injuries. And thus Endeavor concluded he was no good and moved on to Shoto.

Dabi also specifically mocks Shoto when he sees him.

chiasaur11 posted:

See, Dabi's a good one to bring up because it's basically the opposite of Dad for One as far as the evidence goes. We keep getting increasingly large hints at there being some story behind Dabi, and that it connects somehow with the drama from the other fire powered characters.

Meanwhile, the evidence for Dad for One is that we haven't seen Deku's dad, and "Star Wars?". To the limited extent there's been anything referencing it, it's been negative. There's been no odd glances from All for One to Deku, no talk about how Deku's dad stopped sending letters after All for One was arrested, no nothing. There's probably going to be something done with Deku's dad, but I'd think there'd be more groundwork if that was going to be the reveal. I'd sooner bet on Uraraka and Shigaraki being related since they both need to use all five fingers for their quirks.

Maybe it's not Dad for One but his doctor being AFO's Doctor can't just be a coincidence.

Maybe Deku had a Quirk that AFO stole. Maybe that's their relationship. But there must be some relationship thre.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

I feel that if AfO did have any kids he wouldn't need Shigaraki

Well he apparently only took Tomura in to gently caress with All Might but later on came to the conclusion Tomura's personality or Quirk or both lent themselves to making him the future embodiment of villainy. There's something special about Shigaraki.

Even if All forOne had his own son, maybe the kid would turn out more like his uncle and be a decent person. Shigaraki was more amenable to being groomed and "evolving" into the next generation of villain.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm very glad Camie isn't dead. I thought Toga killed her and dumped her in an alley somewhere when she replaced her.

Also Bakugo is finally R E L A T A B L E. I also would want to hang all these kids from a tree and beat them.

It makes me wonder how Izuku would handle this, though. He's got a good heart and charisma that might win them over. On the other hand, he might cry a lot which is like blood in the water to these sharks. Also he would be the most hesitant to employ force, probably.

What a fun little episode. Definitely excited for more.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A little while ago I came across somebody I think dismissing the fanbase being mad at Bakugo's mom for being abusive? I'm guessing the idea Bakugo Mom beat her son comes from Bakugo saying "that's how my mom raised me" after considering hanging the kids from a tree and beating them?

I'm not sure how literally or seriously we're supposed to take that. I wouldn't have given it a second thought if not for the fact there are apparently fans who dislike his mom.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Calling Midoriya by his first name always throws me, because no-one calls him that in the show. It trips me up when reading in this thread because I’m always ‘which one is Izuku again?’

Uraraka calls him Izuku, I think? I think she maybe only call him Deku now.... But I think it's just her and his mom.

He's the one person who gets all three names used a lot. Izuku, Midoiya and Deku. Contrast with say Bakugo. I don't think anyone ever calls him Katsuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, I'm a big dumb nerd who likes power levels and who can beat who discussions, at least when it comes to stuff like this.

I only watched up to the Overhaul Arc and I need to finish the rest of Season 4. But I do know of the High End Nomu fight with Endeavor. watched it already per request of a friend.

So the difference between All Might/All For One and everybody else is vast. But Endeavor was still the #2 Hero and the Nomu took him for all he was worth.

Is High End stronger than USJ Nomu? Is he the strongest non-AFO antagonist we've seen?