Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
As far as filler episodes go, this was a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm waiting for the dub version to air on Toonami, but I heard from someone that the recap episode annoyed them because it ignored Ashido. Is what they said true?

She doesn't play a prominent role in it, but she does appear.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SolarFire2 posted:

As someone who's job requirements include 'Mandatory Reporter' this episode bugged me just a little. It's a good episode it's just.. C'mooon.

I was also thinking it's weird that pro heroes aren't mandatory reporters in this world but I looked it up and apparently Japan doesn't have a mandatory reporting law irl.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ninjewtsu posted:

Yes, the conflict between doing the right thing and doing the smart thing and how much a hero needs to lean to either side and what the drawbacks of each are is a consistent theme. That's sort of my point, it seems dumb and lame to casually dismiss either side of it

Yeah, it's two different, but valid ways of approaching hero work. That being said, Deku's immediate reaction being "we have to save this girl" while Mirio's immediate reaction was "we have to stick to the plan" really illustrates why Deku, rather than Mirio, is the right choice to inherit One For All.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah iirc All Might mentioned that quirklessness was more common when he was younger, and the impression I get is that quirks are not a recent enough phenomenon that he could be referring to people born before quirks started appearing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't remember Deku having a dad? A fire breathing dad?

He hasn't appeared but his quirk has been mentioned.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nephthys posted:

I like that even with being a super shy guy, Suneater gets pretty hosed up in this fight and doesn't even care. His quirk really is kind of OP and you can see why he's in the Big Three.

His quirk is powerful, but it's not like it's just naturally powerful. We saw him in middle school struggling to grow a single normal-sized bean sprout from his hand. To go from there, to strong enough to get into UA, to where his power is now must have taken some pretty serious training. He's clearly put a lot of work into it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm pretty sure we saw some of Deku and Bakugo's middle school classmates using their quirks in the first episode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah here it is

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

socialsecurity posted:

There's gotta be a quirk out there that tells you what other people's quirks are.

The existence of high-profile heroes who are able to keep the details of their quirks secret (like All Might and Nighteye) implies that anyone with a "quirk reading" quirk either doesn't have the ability to read more than the surface level of a quirk's abilities or requires something more than just, like, looking at them or concentrating psychic energy at them or something along those lines to read a quirk.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Is Midoriya's super-strength just kind of accepted as having no upper limit by everyone now? Is there not going going to be anyone next episode who asks how Deku was able to kick the air so hard it exploded?

The people in Deku's life who aren't already in on the secret of One For All seem remarkably uncurious about the exact nature of his quirk. That journalist from earlier in the season and Todoroki are the only ones I remember prodding him about it at all since he entered UA.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 12, 2020

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I don't have the wherewithal to go back and watch but was there some exposition as to why Seafood Kid only ate and thus manifested like the same 4 or 5 sushi powers? Did they explain why he couldn't chow down a slab of beef and get super strength or eat some kind of insect that can sense vibrations, etc.?

His hero costume includes tons of pockets full of all different kinds of food so it's assumed he can use a wider variety of food than we see on-screen or on-page. We've him use probably five or six different foods (including that one dude's crystals) as part of his quirk but he has way more than five or six pockets in his costume so he clearly trains with more than just the octopus and clams we see him use a lot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The_Doctor posted:

What is the year in MHA anyway?

I think it's implied that it's actually in the future, but technology kind of stagnated after quirks emerged.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Technowolf posted:

Dub trailer for Heroes Rising:

Keep in mind this movie's set a several story arcs ahead of where the anime is right now and apparently contains spoilers for non-manga-readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I know anime is weird about characters' ages but lol I can't believe that Gentle and La Brava are both apparently in their 20's