Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Does anyone have a theory why Tsuyu is so popular in America, especially when compared to her fairly middling reception in Japan? As an American, I assumed she was a main character before I saw the show, because there was so much discussion and fan art of her. If I had to guess, maybe it's her straightforwardness and somewhat awkward personality, which seems more common in American media.

I think her design is a big thing part of it. Like, in my case, literally the first bit of MHA material I saw was some of Horikoshi's art featuring Tsuyu in a bunch of different action poses and whatnot, and I thought she had a neat design and went looking for what she was from, eventually leading me to the manga thread here. The fact that she's not a typical anime girl and is a bit weird, but still cute and all, makes her stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, as a manga reader, there are a few things I was curious as to how they'd end up handling them in the anime, and Magne's death and Shigaraki disintegrating that guy were two of them. (Or rather, that whole scene was one of them, I guess.) As someone stated, they toned it down a bit by skipping over most of the latter guy melting, but the former getting drawn out was pretty brutal; in the manga it just happened, though the anime had the actual explosion still be pretty dang sudden, so I imagine that it was still a big surprise for those who didn't know about it.

RIP Magne. You deserved better.

Other moments I'm wondering how the anime will handle are probably going to be at the end of the season, meanwhile, unless they go through content faster than I'm expecting. One of them is among my favorite moments in the series though, so that'll be fun.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 19, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was already mentioned but he didn't find one until after his head got smashed in. That one only healed him back to the point he was at when he got it, i.e. Having a mass of scar tissue instead of a face.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiritus Nox posted:

Fat Gum with an infinite/instantly renewable supply of fat to convert into punches is just All Might with an inflation fetish

So, All Might?

**goes from a spindly skeleton-man to a cartoonishly-massive bodybuilder**

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ninjewtsu posted:

so eri is definitely gonna be used to heal all for one's wounds later in the story right?

actually i guess overhaul could've done it too. huh.

I mean, I doubt All For One would trust Overhaul to remake him. But he could just steal the quirk right out of Overhaul and do it himself; just because Overhaul can't use the quirk doesn't mean he doesn't have it. So in the hypothetical situation that Overhaul and All For One were in the same place and free enough for the former to fix the latter, the latter would also probably be able to jack the former's quirk for himself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stain fails to realize that the real villain is capitalism.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fartbox posted:

Well it wasn't excactly some impressive fourth dimensional play by Shigaraki. He just waited for the plot armored heroes to defeat Overhaul then hit him when he was helpless in an ambulance.

Like yeah, that works.

Certainly does not make you look badass though.

Shig comes across as a massive loser still and I don't know what he is trying to accomplish. I did like that he's starting to Bond with his minions however

His plan was to send in Toga and Twice, knowing that they would eventually gently caress over the Yakuza, without telling them to do so, which meant that they were immune to Shin Nemoto's quirk being able to force them to tell the truth, as they legitimately did not know that they were supposed to turn on them. Overhaul thought that he pressured Shigaraki into handing over Twice, possibly the most useful asset he has with his ridiculously powerful and useful quirk, along with one of the League's most competent fighters, and instead he was given a time bomb; without them, Mimic probably could have hosed with the heroes long enough to let Overhaul get away with Eri and possibly even taken some out, but those two baited him into exposing himself and then the heroes crushed him.

Obviously Shiggy didn't expect things to go down that exact way, but sending in Twice and Toga and trusting them to gently caress up Overhaul's plans without telling them to do so along with them being able to feed him information and stuff was still a pretty good move. It's both clever, since it evades Shin Nemoto's Confession along with just not having them need to lie (Toga might be able to manage it but Twice is probably a terrible actor and wouldn't have even needed a quirk to make him slip up), and also shows how well he understands his allies and has faith in them instead of seeing them as disposable pawns or just outright hating them. He's grown a lot since the early series.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 27, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it was, at least. Even if not, though, "If I tell them the plan, then it's possible that the yakuza will learn the plan from them; if I don't tell them the plan, they'll probably get mad and gently caress over the yakuza anyway," is a pretty reasonable assumption about Toga and Twice.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 27, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And, again, that's "helping" in a way that involved killing one hero and a lot of cops and leaving a lot of damage in his wake, on top of everything that happened at the yakuza hideout. I doubt the heroes are particularly grateful to the League right now.

People have already basically said it, but to put it plainly, the heroes weren't Shigaraki's main enemies in this arc. Overhaul was. Overhaul was a new and more direct threat to him and his plans, and if Overhaul had walked out of this without being figuratively or literally destroyed, then Shigaraki would have lost. Instead, from the second meeting with Overhaul onward, Shiggy got basically everything he wanted, possibly excluding Eri herself (and I don't think she would have been that useful in the League's hands), plus some heroes died or were maimed in the process, and it cost him nothing. Heck, Toga and Twice seem to like him more now, and Compress probably appreciates getting to take revenge on Overhaul too. (Dabi probably doesn't care, but he's a prick.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

Technically they ended up killing two heroes(Nighteye and Snatch).

The Compress clone probably wasn't that appreciative, but that was mostly Twice and Toga's fault.

The injuries that caused Nighteye's death were back at the hideout; I was talking about the highway attack in particular, since that was just pure negative for the heroes, no gain. And even at the hideout, while Toga and Twice got Mimic captured and enabled the heroes to catch up to Overhaul and stuff, Toga also stabbed Lockrock and Aizawa. Technically a net gain but again, I doubt the heroes feel particularly appreciative about it.

Also yeah, Twice clones have a sad existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenebrais posted:

It's also probably worth noticing that the Hissaikai weren't loyal to Overhaul, all their loyalties were distinctly to the old boss, and they only followed Overhaul out of respect for the chain of command. No one seemed to particularly like Overhaul. Meanwhile, even if Tomura doesn't care much for his followers, they certainly care about him and are loyal to him personally. (Of course, this varies too; some are more in it for the end goal, or just to to get their jollies being evil. But the ones that get the most focus are loyal.)

A few of Overhaul's men liked him specifically. Shin Nemoto and Chronostasis in particular. I think Mimic as well.

Most were either suicidal/purposeless, afraid, or, as you say, more loyal to the institution than to him, and of course Rappa literally wanted to kill him, but he did have a few "friends". Of course, given what happened to Shin, that might have all been one-way, outside maybe Chrono, but the exceptions were still important.

Fabricated posted:

Shigaraki goes from saying "I'm the next leader" when he first meets Overhaul to "We'll be the next leaders" at the end.

Yeah, that's a good, simple indicator of how he's changed over the course of this arc.