Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The principal is the traitor, just letting strange reporters go wherever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Are some people's quirks incredibly boring stuff like "my skin gets less itchy than the average person" or something? I kind of figured quirk implied something more... impactful.

That's basically Bakugo's mom. Having slightly better complexion.

Deku's mom's power is pretty mundane too; the lightest amount of telekinesis.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ijyt posted:

In this thread sometimes it's for the better.

It's what I'm giving thanks for.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Related to this, it felt weird when Nighteye said the girls were too spent to help Deku. It was actually true, since they all had their stamina drained, but he didn't know that. He just saw three girls with no visible battle damage and said "nawww"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If you compare Mirio's fight vs 1-A against his fight vs Overhaul, it's night and day.

The one against the students felt like they were really trying to flesh it out a lot more, even ignoring certain panels that looked awesome in the manga because they wouldn't really work in anime.

Against Overhaul, it felt like they were doing the typical anime adaptation thing of just finding the coolest panels from the manga, and then holding on them in slow motion as long as possible, and then animating the bare minimum required to make it make sense.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Well I mean, the villain disintigrated that huge minion and reformed his carcass into a huge grotesque meat golem that he used as a weapon and Eri rewound him back into a living person afaik

Overhaul turned someone into a tire and he got better. Being grotesquely mutilated doesn't mean you're dead.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I thought the 20 seconds where Deku punches was cool. There were a few more 20 second chunks that were pretty good too, including some non punch portions. But they chose every opportunity possible to interrupt the good stuff with bad stuff.

That's my vague take on it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

That's fair although why even put a note about his arms and quirk being treated if nothing has changed? Like, the mangaka is clearly filling in the gaps about what happened after we last saw him.

I wouldn't be opposed to finding somebody else who can read Japanese and asking their opinion, though.

Mentioning his arms is just a recap of what happened. The databook just seems to be clarifying that he is still alive.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gentle Criminal is a bad guy, but he's not a "bad guy."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm kind of surprised they're doing High End in pretty much just one episode.

Almost all fights could and should be one episode.

Gentle's fight was an episode and a half, but they ended up recapping most of the high points of the first half in a minute of the second episode. With some more liberal editing of the flash backs, it could have easily been one.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, there's a decent emotional hook in there, and the final fight owns bones, but the middle of slowly climbing stairs is so forgettable.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For all we know High End did have shock absorption, it just never came up. But yeah, it's certainly stronger than the USJ Nomu.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think hero's secret identities are public. You have one offs like Gran Torino calling Endeavor Todoroki, but he's a little bit of a show boat.

But on the other hand, when Gran Torino called Deku Toshinori, he did not immediately ask why he was calling him All Might's real name.

I think Deku still doesn't know what AM's real name is.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So Quirk Users have unexplained superhuman physical stats. Somebody like Bakugo has no explanation for why he's so fast but he obviously is faster than any human being or even most Quirk Users who might have some Quirk that allows them to have extra muscles.

I liked when All Might punched that child so hard he threw up and then punted him through a building.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Heroes Rising is officially out in North America for those who missed it in theatres, what with the global pandemic and all. I'll probably watch it this weekend.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

surf rock posted:

OK, opening this thread and studiously avoiding reading anything other than direct replies to avoid spoilers if I keep going with the show...

I just started the show this morning after having seen it get a ton of positive press over the past few years. I'm only a couple episodes in, but it's not grabbing me yet.

I watched the first few seasons of Naruto during its original run and enjoyed that, and I watched One Punch Man earlier this year and loved that. I feel like this show is a splicing of those two things but with an even younger target demographic and kind of a janky art style.

So my question is: am I misreading the show? For most people who love it, do they love it because of the action or the comedy or the characters or something else? I dunno if it's underwhelming me because it's just not resonating, or because I expected it to be one thing and it's actually something else.

I maintain that season 1 is actually bad, because of how slowly paced it is. I was so frustrated about how the drat series is called Hero Academy, but it takes 5 (?) episodes for him to step foot in the drat Hero Academy!

Season 2 gets better, buy if I was watching it live, instead of binge watching later, I probably would have dropped it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

macabresca posted:

For me the show peaked with these first two episodes/first chapter of the manga. I found Midoriya to be a Very Good Boy and I thought that the premise of him being the only one without powers and having to compensate for it somehow was very promising. But then he gets One for All (I knew he gets it eventually but didn't think it's this early) which was kind of a letdown. The implementation of OfA is quite interesting, but still. And I didn't really like the direction the show takes with Bakugo, who literally tells Midoriya to kill himself in the very first episode but it's kinda never addressed?

I watched the rest of the series waiting for it to make me as emotional as in the beginning and it never happened.

I thought the first chapter of the manga was pretty good too! Conversely, I think that the first two episodes of the anime are terrible, decompressed poo poo. The "cliffhanger" between parts 1 and 2 is a whole bunch of whatever, and it feels like nothing happens in the first part.

Somebody else just said that the first few arcs of any popular shonen anime are almost never anyone's favorite, and I agree. But dear God, the pilot episode needs to have something going for it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The trouble with All Might was that he was also a built in "Crime Doesn't Pay" PSA. Endeavor did more cases than him, and there's absolutely no shortage of heroes in Japan.

The fact that the problem with hero society is that maybe they should fund PBS and after school programs a little more is boring, and I can look outside my window if I want to see that.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

surf rock posted:

25.) Katsuki Bakugo (Lord Explosion Murder) - Just obnoxious. Not even needed as a rival since Todoroki exists. I enjoy the show less every time he's on the screen, especially because Deku becomes a worse character every time he's around as well.

It always felt to me like he wrote two drafts of the story: one where Bakugo is the jerk rival to mirror Endeavor; and another where Shoto is the main rival because he's Endeavor's son. And then rather than choose which he wanted, he stuck with both.

surf rock posted:

Last thing: is hugging not a thing in Japan? I feel like anime has like >1% of the hugging that would actually happen under these circumstances.

Yeah, for me going to High School in America was all like "oh wow I get to hug girls sometimes" but anime seems to be stuck on "oh wow I get to talk to mutter towards girls sometimes" instead. No idea if that's what actual Japanese High Schools are like though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Two Heroes was pretty meh for me. The setting and overall plot was decent, and the final fight was great, but the middle was so meandering and forgetful. I guess it was mostly fights, but I can't remember any of it.