Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm going in this blind since I've only watched the first three seasons after my niece said she loved it (her favorite character is Todoroki) and I finally got the time to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this makes sense but still throws me off, because Toad exists in the X-men canon and is the far opposite of popular

edit: in an alternate reality where the Brotherhood is more about wacky hijinks, I still don't think Toad would have taken off

In the context of Battle shonen and the powers in it, "is a frog" is extremely novel and interesting because the genre generally takes a very lateral approach to powers and emphasizes novel uses for them or sidestepping restrictions. In American Superhero stuff, "is a frog" is a relatively lame power since superpowers are more measured on their gross ability and not how clever you can be with them.

Also Tsuyu is cute and has a great personality contrast to the rest of the cast.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also the entire point there is that Bakugou has changed, he’s changed enough to accept help from Kirishima, the first actual true friend he’s ever had. Someone who he can act as an equal to without his own damage wrecking it.

Bakagou from episode one would not have accepted help from anyone. That’s the progress, and then he goes even further by re-evaluating Izuku and their relationship. Alongside dealing with his feelings of failing and causing All Might’s retirement due to being too weak.

One of the things I find novel with Bakugo is that, for all of his anger and brashness, he's about as strategic a thinker as Deku, whereas one would expect a person with his archetype and powers would just blow things up with reckless abandon (though there's some of that early on, but focused on Deku).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Bakugo is what you'd call "terminally tsundere"

If only there was some more dere to all the tsun he puts out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I still think Deku should've gone full batman :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Apparently it's because the Rugby World Cub is going to be on in their usual timeslot.

ALL SHALL KNOW THE PAIN OF BEING PREEMPTED BY SPORTS
-Toku thread

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah! Grumpy Dad is the best.

Deku has two dads and only one mom.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

Mirio with OFA would be really hard to write around. Like it would have been a very sensible choice but it wouldn't have done much that was interesting. It'd be really funny the first few times he Harrisburg Smashed some dude in the dick by jumping up from the basement, though.

Specifically, a naked dude showing up to punch a dude in the dick

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Hard Boy/Slug Girl OTP

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I will never stop asking for "Into the Deku-verse".

I still want to see a story where Deku goes full Iron Man/Batman to be a hero instead of getting OFA, but I heard there's a spin-off character who does that or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

At least, when the amount of superpowered people greatly outnumber the non-superpowered people as opposed to the other way around which is what every "Mutant registration" story was.

That's the sort of crux to the whole thing. The majority being registered and regulated is an enormously different situation compared to the minority being registered and regulated paritally because of the historical context of minorities being registered and tracked and the motivation and consequences for it. It's especially relevant for the X-Men, not just because of the above, but because it was a deliberate story point influenced by the creators, Jack Kirby and Stan Lee, who were both Jewish and children of immigrants.