Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am glad that they are continuing the tradition of abusing mineta anytime he gets too pervy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you haven't read Vigilantes then now is the time to do so. The initial 6 or so chapters are kind of rough but it gets a lot better very quickly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm waiting for the dub version to air on Toonami, but I heard from someone that the recap episode annoyed them because it ignored Ashido. Is what they said true?

I guess that is true. When the reporter was narrowing down suspects he didn't mention her but from what I remember he didn't really mention anyone outside of Bakugou, Midoriya and Todoroki as by that point he had already figured it out.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

What’s a mandatory reporter?

People in certain positions have to report if they see evidence of abuse.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

If they commit to the fight the Mirio wrecks them. His whole gimmick was being unstoppable in a fight. All Deku would have to do is run, which he's very good at.

Miro is very much not unstoppable. He is able to use his power extremely effectively but there are very much limits to what it can do.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Probably not the thread for this particular discussion but lol

Do you want to explain this in the manga thread?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

What was Kirishima's flashback referencing? The "I should have gone" thing?

Nothing that the anime has covered so far.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

If Deku wasn't quirkless, given that his dad can breathe fire and his mom can cast Mage Hand at will, do you think his quirk would be pyrokinesis? Because that would make for a really interesting rivalry both with Bakugo and with Todoroki.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is really cute seeing Iida and Todoroki being so eager to try and support Deku.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do appreciate that the series keeps on bringing up just how hosed up quirk society can be.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Do remember that Mirio, despite looking like a goofy, mulleted anime-Tintin, has to make calculations as to where he's moving/attacking because he can't see worth squat. He could totally hack it as a surgeon. He'd be like the Todd in Scrubs (not the sexist/chauvinist thing; the "he's a dumb meathead but he's still probably among the best technical surgeons we see in the show" thing).

But that is making it as a surgeon because he is smart not because his quirk is suited for the process.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What started this conversation was the idea that Mirio could use his quirk to do surgery which is impossible due to how the body works. However, the dedication to training and the type of mind needed to make his quirk work could be helpful in him becoming a good surgeon the normal way.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do love how quickly the league turns on Overhaul.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I think it's extremely cool that the League of Villains respects Magne's gender

Also Lemillion is the best

It is a great way of showing how the League differs from Overhaul and his minions.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Is Midoriya's super-strength just kind of accepted as having no upper limit by everyone now? Is there not going going to be anyone next episode who asks how Deku was able to kick the air so hard it exploded?

People were able to tell he had tremendous power just by his flicks.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Did she get a moment in the manga that was cut here, or did she just not get one?

The hope was that they would add a fight moment for the girls.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I like the in between shot the most as it makes Deku look like a vengeful god.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When the Yakuza boss condemns Overhaul it is a lot stronger in the dub as he flat out asks if he has lost his humanity.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dracula Factory posted:

I think that sequence took lots of creative liberties for the purpose of looking cool. Also I noticed watching the dub that Deku doesn't have a line about hitting him before he can regenerate while the sub had one.

Considering how the fight sequence went it makes sense not to have that line. For the most part it wasn't a constant barrage of blows to get past everything it was hitting him so hard that his body couldn't take it anymore.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Sure, he's already a murderer and a child abuser. Might as well add public indecency to that list. :v:

I don't think the word child abuser is strong enough to describe what he was doing. It was enough to make a Yakuza boss who would already be used to shady and hosed up things to ask what the gently caress is wrong with him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

I will admit that Deku ending it with Consecutive Normal Punches is hilarious and possibly a deliberate reference?

It almost certainly is both a reference and a way to help hammer in the fact that we never saw All Might go all out at his peak.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Not to derail the conversation but has anyone here speculated on what exactly the League will do with the Quirk destroying bullets? They only have a few so it must be a very targeted, specific thing.

I wonder if the bullets work on All For One? Would one negate his proper Quirk, just one of his stolen Quirks, all of them at once?

'Cuz I don't se Tomura being AfO's lackey forever. Could use one of those bullets on him at some future date.

It is hard to say how it would react to AFO or OFA but I doubt Tomura has any plans to use it on one of the few people he genuinely cares for.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Does databook info count as spoilers for this thread?

In an effort to console me and my Overhaul fandom, I was informed of what the latest MHA databook said for Chisaki: that his arms were "treated" and his quirk "remodeled/reconstructed"

https://oriigami.tumblr.com/post/188927708463/ultra-analysis-overhaul

This thumblr person has the right idea. Maybe he was not a one-and-done fella. Overhaul has not yet begun to fight!

I mean, he probably is done, but canon says there is hope and if that hope only exists in my heart and fanfiction, I'll take it.

Why do you want more of him?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fartbox posted:

None of the plot armored ones suffered anything bad really. Shigs plan was to bet on the heroes to win which is all hosed up for a villain

Why is it hosed up to hope that your opposition gets crushed and you sneak away with the prize in the confusion?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

How many villains have had clearly evil quirks and were thus evil? Usually any blood-related power is pretty evil and Stain and Toga are both bad guys. Shigaraki can decay and destroys people and that's a pretty horrifying power so he's evil.

I don't think we've seen any heroes since brainwash kid that have "evil" quirks.

Vlad has a blood quirk and is doing just fine as a hero.

Also there is the meat cube boy who just showed up again last episode.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

The dub still comes out every Saturday right even though they're a week behind the sub now for whatever reason?

Yeah.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Uraraka calls him Izuku, I think? I think she maybe only call him Deku now.... But I think it's just her and his mom.

He's the one person who gets all three names used a lot. Izuku, Midoiya and Deku. Contrast with say Bakugo. I don't think anyone ever calls him Katsuki.

I am pretty sure she calls him Deku as she was the reason why he started to associate anything positive with that name.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The movie was amazing and if you have the chance you have to go watch it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Now that I think about it, my only issue with the scene about Eri gushing about the concert is that Jirou wasn't nearby to hear directly just what her music was able to do.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you're confused about that ending image of Hawks, don't worry. Us manga readers were just as confused, that won't come into play until much, much later. As in, this was shown first in that ending and wasn't shown in the manga at all until like two weeks ago.

Just let it feed your internal speculation about Hawks, as it did to us all. Man, it's kind of neat when the anime does little stuff like that that surprises even those of us that are up to date with the manga. Makes it interesting.

I don't know what you are talking about. The explanation for that image will come when they do the wrap up stuff for what just happened in the next season.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

What they're saying is that both manga and anime people can only speculate what that Hawks image in the ED means

I got that bit. I just don't know why they are including manga readers in those confused by the image considering that it takes about five seconds of extrapolation from information that comes out from the resolution of this episode.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Adder Moray posted:

It doesn't actually prove that, so much as it constructs a reality where, for some reason, very few villains are willing to exploit the fact they know exactly who a hero is, where they live, and how to get to their non-hero friends and family.

And then said villains are going to have a very bad time of things.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Adder Moray posted:

Yes, because we all know when you've successfully abducted someone's spouse and/or children the first thing they're going to do is put their lives in danger by immediately coming after you.

Which doesn't even account for the people just out for revenge or to hurt a hero because they can. Or to discourage heroism in general through terroristic threats striking at various heroes' homes all at once.

I'm not criticizing the universe they constructed for not doing this, but I am criticizing the notion that, because it doesn't happen in this particular fiction then it is disproven as a narrative issue.

My point was that doing actions like that puts a very noticeable target on your back and is likely to see said perp getting a lot more attention then they would like and ensure that if/when they are caught they are going to suffer plenty of accidents in prison if they even get that far.

Edit: Also you are basically asking why don't more criminals declare war against the state.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

In addition to the actual demographics, there is also what the editors think sells to take into account. I remember Daisuke Ashihara (the creator of World Trigger, another shounen comic) complaining that he had planned to set a female villain against male heroes, but that his editor didn’t think that was compelling, so he had the villain fight a squad of girls instead.

I don’t know how much control editors have over a series as popular as this one, though.

If Toriyama can run into the issue I think anyone is at risk of being edited.