Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
So I've been catching up on like a decades worth of anime this month, and so far this has been my favorite? I'm genuinely surprised how much it's hooked me, particularly because the main antagonists kind of suck? There's too much bad guys are just bad because reasons which isn't all that compelling, particularly in Shigaraki's case where he's been setup to take over a legacy but neither he nor the story seems to really know what that is. Anyway, I guess I'll go see if I can find the movies somewhere, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Deku had to learn how to inherit All Night’s legacy while making it his own and not just being a copy. Shigaraki is basically doing the same thing just on a bigger scale. You are correct that he doesn’t quite fully know what he wants be and that’s intentional

Yeah, but the difference is that All Might and his legacy are pretty well fleshed out, and so having it adds to how Deku develops in light of that.

All For One's is not, and so Shigaraki doesn't get anything from that connection, except some evil-for-evil's-sake motivations that don't really fit his character. He's got a lot of anger for just chaos reigns anarchy, and obviously criticism of the system appeal to him on some level. Was that something All For One inspired in him, or something he thought suited his objective? We don't know because we don't know what All For One was about outside of taking out All Might, which had nothing to do with Shigaraki.

I think they just got tangled up in their own themes a bit too much. They've got two predecessor/successor dynamics already, and just didn't plan or ran out of room to develop the villain one a little more. It doesn't come close to ruining the show, just a small point of needs improvement. Maybe there's some Shoto- Shigaraki connecting over dickhead father-figures in the future.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The weakest part of the first season for me was Bakugo because he's just such a blazing rear end in a top hat it sucks all the pleasure out of his rivalry with Deku. That pays off later on, but I still think the show has an issue with the ethics of power in this world, particularly how evil doesn't have to be malicious intent to harm. Bakugo isn't a good person and his insecurity doesn't excuse how much of a horrible bully he is.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, unfortunately it was making a solemn declaration that she was a cop

Theyre all cops. The entire premise of the show is kids with powers becoming an agent of the state responsible for maintaining law and order.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

surf rock posted:

The make-things-go-boom part is good; I like his quirk (although I think it's visually outclassed by Todoroki and Endeavor's fire powers). But he's like the most mopey and pissy person in the whole cast next to maybe Shigaraki. Deku was in the running with him in season one, but Bakugo has been so horrifically one-note through the first two seasons it's insane; I can count the number of exceptions on one hand with fingers to spare. That said, I'm encouraged to hear that that changes in season three, but so far he's been the most tedious rival for a protagonist I can remember.

I'll stop complaining about him now; I've just really come around on this show after not enjoying it much at first and this character (along with Grape Juice) are basically the only things I don't like about it at this point.

You and me, surf rock, you and me. I know Bakugo is deliberately supposed to be so intensely provocative that it forces reactions from Deku that he wont otherwise get. That entire speech about giving it your all he gave to Shoto was something he got from fighting with Bakugo. But Bakugo is just so nasty and Deku is so cowed by it in the day-to-day that it's detrimental to both their characters. It does improve, but it's still the worst part of the show for me.

Related to that, though, throwing Shoto in as a potential rival was actually pretty ingenious because it sets up a three-way competition between Deku, Shoto, and Bakugo that's a lot better than just a standard one-on-one. While Bakugo may be the main antagonist (that isn't an outright villain) having Shoto to contend with gives the Deku/Bakugo rivalry more room to breath. In general, the show really shines when it moves the spotlight and lets other characters have their moment of conflict or triumph.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Aw, I like the saga of Shoto: robot boy learning how to be human. He needs what Bakugo has in Kirishima, a friend who isn't intimidated by him or trying to directly compete so they can push him into acting like a person more often.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

surf rock posted:

7.) Shoto Todoroki (Shoto) - I see why people say he's boring, but I think he's a pretty realistic example of internal and external character conflict. I like him! He also has a cool sister, which makes him maybe the only hero with a sibling?

Poor Tensei Ida. Got an entire speech from Stain about how he wasn't going to outright kill you, and then this slight.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

surf rock posted:

- Nighteye was also part of the problem for this arc, and I'm glad for the show's sake that he's dead. Additionally, the scene where the scantily-clad Bubble Girl is tied up in a tickling contraption was a Bit Much.

Yeah, this show passes the incredibly low bar for sexism established by anime that you forget it's still a problem until something like the tickling thing or some fanservice shot of high school girls happens. And then you remember that not a single woman is ever presented as being on level with the male heroes, both students and pro-heroines are almost all heavily sexualized from their presentation to their powers, and the girls are constantly marginalized from the story in favor of male characters.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

There really is almost no fanservice in MHA compared to something like Bleach or Fairy Tail. Little here, little there.

On the flipside, it does not give half as much screentime to its female cast as FT where most of the awesomest characters doing awesome things are women.

Fairytale also has a shitton of fanservice for the male characters to balance it out a little more, too. Like they actually thought if they're going to have a new girl who constantly needs to be rescued then lets make the other one a total powerhouse, and if the powerhouse's best armor is some torso-baring absurdity then here's a cute guy who's always getting naked. It's still got problems, but it feels like there was a consideration for making it more of an all-audiences show rather than just a boys one.

That's really what annoys me about the gender politics in MHA so much; it could very easily be the same way. The pieces are already there with several good female characters, just give them more storytime and make them part of Deku's outside school antics more. Also Mineta gets eaten by a bear and is never mentioned again.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

One guy getting naked all the time for a joke doesn't balance out one girl getting naked against her will for horny tho

Which is why I compared it to Erza's powerarmor with the open torso, rather than the entire treatment of her or all women in Fariytale. Gray's stripping is a joke, but its one that's been used in service of getting girls naked/sexualized for the audience forever. Something happens that results in nudity or a compromising position so no one is at fault for it, and then everyone is upset and/or embarrassed so we know they aren't enjoying it (but you the audience are, aren't you?) MHA's done it with Momo's top coming off. The thing is, Gray is explicitly framed as an attractive guy and they don't give him silly underwear or something to counter the impression that you're supposed to be enjoying this on some level beyond just humor. It's fan service, not super egregious and still a little wanting compare to the girls, but it's there.

MHA by comparison is just crumbs, which would be fine because it's a show about kids and not a romance, but that's not the case with the girls. If you're going to have Midnight running around as a walking sex joke, then there should be some Adonis-pro whose shtick is a skimpy costume and having a bunch of female fans.

surf rock posted:

Much like in anime, everyone got fixated on the boobs-and-butts part of my post and nobody's talking about how amazing the concert was or debating the quirk rankings :smith:

Much like Bakugo when he's a total rear end in a top hat but right, I shall never apologize for leading a thread own the road of feminist discourse.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

But it's a satire/joke/subversion is not a get-out-of-jail-free card for doing something, at the very least because it relies on the audience picking up on the recontextulization which doesn't always happen, particularly when it's something an audience is already inclined to ignore and reject. Pickle Rick anyone?

Your fav is problematic. It's ok! A lot favs are; this whole discussion was set off by pointing out a problem in MHA, a show we all think is pretty good.

Now I'm going to work on my fanfic about All Man, the sexy hero all the ladies love. So far he's a bad All Might copy with some generic super-strength powers. Deku has an elderly aunt who's always gifting him embarrassing merch because she gets them confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

i think people are way too hard on mirio for the alleyway scene. i don't think it's disqualifying for receiving one for all or anything, in fact i think the idea that there's this specific mold that someone has to fit to be a worthy successor has been a theme that deku has been fighting against too to a certain extent. mirio's heart is in the right place and he's good at what he does

It's exactly this. Mirio was explicitly being groomed by Nighteye to be All Might's successor, and so his little mini arc is all about showing that he doesn't need to be All Might to still be a hero. But that's in the context of Nighteyes arc which is about how you cant prepare for everything an that's why you need people who can act in a crisis. All Might saw that in Deku and it's why he choose him for a successor, which Nighteye doesn't understand because as a precognitive that's not something he's ever had to contend with. He values forethought and planning, and that can have a hamstringing effect on your reactions, particularly in a crisis.

So the Mirio in that alleyway was being the avatar of Nighteye's viewpoint; not impulsive or reactive, thinking about the unknowns, the collateral damage, and the jurisdiction issues an concluding that this isn't the time or place to have this fight. It's Deku's analytical side given dominance, and then a whole story arc showing why that's not what All Might wanted for All For One.

Which is why you get the part in the hospital where Deku offers All For One to Mirio and he turns it down. He's proven his metal as a hero and it's not by being All Might or Deku or anyone else he's compared to. It's by being Mirio, a guy who will take risks an keep fighting even when he's got no chance of winning. Alley Mirio, Nighteye's construct of the perfect hero, wasn't worthy of All For One, but real Mirio doesn't need it.