Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Nephthys posted:

Guess I'll be the outlier and say that I think MHA has one of the strongest starts to any shounen I've seen. The first 2 episode do a fantastic job of getting you invested in Deku and ending on 'You can be a Hero' was a seriously emotionally powerful moment. When I think of other shounen I've watched I honestly can't think of an intro that impacted me as much.

For me the show peaked with these first two episodes/first chapter of the manga. I found Midoriya to be a Very Good Boy and I thought that the premise of him being the only one without powers and having to compensate for it somehow was very promising. But then he gets One for All (I knew he gets it eventually but didn't think it's this early) which was kind of a letdown. The implementation of OfA is quite interesting, but still. And I didn't really like the direction the show takes with Bakugo, who literally tells Midoriya to kill himself in the very first episode but it's kinda never addressed?

I watched the rest of the series waiting for it to make me as emotional as in the beginning and it never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Stain doesn't have a nose

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I don't think Fairy Tail is a good example of equal opportunity fanservice because even if you find the guys attractive, they're not drawn in sexy ways, they just stand there, occasionally topless. Whereas the girls' boobs and butts are constantly emphasized. It doesn't have to be sexy torture times even, it's more as if Mashima was unable to draw women and not be horny

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Larryb posted:

Also, fun fact: the song is entirely in English even in the Japanese version (not sure why though but it was good). An American singer named Chrissy Costanza provided Jiro’s singing voice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrissy_Costanza

Yeah, it was pretty funny when Jiro started singing in English (and suddenly had a different voice). And the lyrics were even written by someone from Japan.

I didn't like the song very much though. It was catchy but not what I had in my head when I was reading the manga