Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

christmas boots posted:

I honestly thought it was pretty refreshing when All Might leveled with him about how honestly at a certain point you kinda do need to have some kind of superpower to keep up. I know Batman doesn't but come on.

Batman's superpower is unlimited money and access to people who can develop and build military-grade poo poo for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
The crying in MHA never felt out of place to me, and I marathoned it twice this year. Nothing wrong with a shonen protagonist who feels emotions beyond a ~burning passion to protect others~ :)

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Oh, I didn't know there were OVAs! I don't think my streaming service has them... either that or I overlooked them. I'll have to track them down.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Just reminding y'all this is the anime thread...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

surf rock posted:

Season 3 is in the books, and it's time for updated student power rankings!

quote:

And power rankings for the intro/outro music...

I've been meaning to ask what you mean by "power ranking" exactly. I typically associate the term with fighting power, or ability to upset the status quo.

Are you using it in a more abstract way (i.e. the emotional power a character or op/ed track has over you) or is there some other use of it I'm missing?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

surf rock posted:

Oh, yeah, my choice of phrase here is confusing. These are just my preferences.

Oh cool, I thought so but didn't want to make assumptions. :)

Also, a couple more responses to your previous post...

quote:

7.) Shoto Todoroki (Shoto) - I see why people say he's boring, but I think he's a pretty realistic example of internal and external character conflict. I like him! He also has a cool sister, which makes him maybe the only hero with a sibling?

Strange, but yeah the only other one who comes to mind is Tensei Ida (the original Ingenium). It's probably just the author not wanting to get sidetracked creating too many irrelevant characters or backstories, but it'd be interesting if it was intentional, and heroes had a tendency for being only children. You could unpack a lot from that (psychological factors, impact on society, etc).

quote:

- Sometimes, I feel conflicted about the show's pacing. As someone who grew up with DBZ, the speed is usually refreshing, but I do feel like the peak moments of DBZ surpass the peak moments of MHA for me. I'm sure that that's partly the age at which I'm seeing these moments for the first time, but it feels like there's enough buildup in MHA to make the moments logical but often not emotional for me, if that makes sense.

I haven't watched DBZ but have you watched/read One Piece? If so, how would you compare the pacing to that? (Preferably pre-Enies Lobby when the anime pacing was better)

quote:

- Shout out to the mothers in the cast. Deku's mom has always been great, but Bakugo's mom is one of my new favorite characters.

Not gonna lie, I genuinely wish we got to see more of the parents in MHA, all the ones we've seen seem pretty great. Though as mentioned above the author probably doesn't want to get sidetracked or bogged down too much.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

CuwiKhons posted:

I could have sworn they showed up in the main anime at some point but I checked and I guess they don't? I haven't seen the OVAs so I have no idea where I saw the frog family. At any rate, they look like this! Spoilered just in case.

Aaaaa I love their designs - especially the youngest, who gives off tadpole vibes. I really need to get around to watching the OVAs.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Nephthys posted:

That's a bad example to choose. Kill la Kill did that to make a point specifically on the matter and it didn't diminish any of the main characters to end up mostly naked and in sexy positions when they're still being gigantic badasses. Ryuko is only embarrassed about it for the first few episodes and then learns that she shouldn't care about that and just focus on kicking rear end.

Nah it's still a good example.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Nephthys posted:

It's literally the only example you could choose where the characters being half-naked in public is a major plot point and it's trying to make a statement about it.

This is true.

Zzulu posted:

The problem always is that the fanservice usually diminishes the female character. They did the same thing in Kill la kill where the supposedly badass protagonist kept ending up in compromising "sexy" positions against her will.

But this is also true.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Nephthys posted:

In this case they are. Ryuko's embarrassment about nudity is presented as an obstacle holding her back in combat, and after overcoming it in episode 3 she starts cutting buildings in half and whooping rear end even harder. It doesn't diminish her as a character, it's actually a part of her character development that makes her more of a badass.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
This week's episode will be ep 0 of S5, and will indeed be a recap ep.

Also, thread title needs updating - if only to increase the season number.