Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Det_no posted:

You got a fan blowing air in your direction?

Yeah, I learned that trick early lol. It helps with games that have constant forward motion like Synth Riders or Pistol Whip.

But Underdogs asked me to turn my body around irl while also strafing with the controls and uh... my inner ear did not like that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Only one game ever made me motion sick and that was gorilla tag. Underdogs felt down right pleasant in comparison.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Whelp, I just spent over an hour straight doing laundry, cleaning toilets, and picking up trash - in VR. For fun.
I guess I can mark Arcade Paradise VR down in the same “shouldn’t be entertaining but ends up super addicting” column as PowerWash Simulator VR. The arcade games in it so far are more fun than they have any right to be, too (though they’re really making me with the Quest 3 controllers had D-pads).

Here’s a referral code if anyone else wants to check it out - it’s already feeling like it might be my new obsession… https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/johnnysmitch/5968301983261530/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=3&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Anybody else pick up Contractors Showdown? It turns out that this is NOT a game you can pug! You basically have to have a team of 3 if you don't want to end up by yourself against full teams on coms within minutes

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Anybody else pick up Contractors Showdown? It turns out that this is NOT a game you can pug! You basically have to have a team of 3 if you don't want to end up by yourself against full teams on coms within minutes

Yeah I snagged it. I've played about 5 games and my teammates have been pretty cooperative. I did try just soloing and that did not work out well. I like it better than Population 1 even though I had to pay for it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JohnnySmitch posted:

Whelp, I just spent over an hour straight doing laundry, cleaning toilets, and picking up trash - in VR. For fun.
I guess I can mark Arcade Paradise VR down in the same “shouldn’t be entertaining but ends up super addicting” column as PowerWash Simulator VR. The arcade games in it so far are more fun than they have any right to be, too (though they’re really making me with the Quest 3 controllers had D-pads).

Here’s a referral code if anyone else wants to check it out - it’s already feeling like it might be my new obsession… https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/johnnysmitch/5968301983261530/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=3&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

Oh poo poo I didn't know this was coming out with a VR version. Game's definitely surprisingly hard to put down.

Edit: Hmm, are all the arcade games vr minigames like a shooting range? Part of the charm of the original game was the arcade games and it'd be a bummer if they didn't have those.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 26, 2024

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know this was coming out with a VR version. Game's definitely surprisingly hard to put down.

Edit: Hmm, are all the arcade games vr minigames like a shooting range? Part of the charm of the original game was the arcade games and it'd be a bummer if they didn't have those.

Nope it’s got the normal arcade games - they just added some “VR Enhanced” games too.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Showdown is super fun. I managed to get 2nd on a solo. The length of the matches and the size of the map are great.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Are the Quest 3 Pro controllers significantly better at tracking than the standard ones? I just upgraded to a 3 and after a week of beat saber and getting used to the new controllers, have concluded the tracking is significantly worse than the 2. I like the 3 a lot better and am down to drop $300 to fix the issue, but want to make sure it does.

If not I might just go back to the 2 for beat saber.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As I understand it, the Quest Pro controllers track as well as the headset itself, because they’re basically sporting the same self-tracking features. Battery life isn’t nearly as good though.

What’s the current state of the art with VR injection for Unity? I know there’s the UE injector which apparently works great for UE games, but I tried the raipal UUVR injector for a Unity game or two and couldn’t make it do anything. Are we just not there yet, or am I missing something?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAO6QKmlAxE
"This brand-new single-player, action-horror VR game features an original story that fully surrounds players within the terrors of the Alien universe. Designed by Alien fans for Alien fans, Survios brings their expertise to crafting this technically advanced, and frightfully immersive Alien virtual reality game."

Not a lot of info for now...

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAO6QKmlAxE

Man I hope this turns out cool, the little I played of the Alien Isolation VR mod scared the piss out of me.

This also specifically says "Meta Quest 3" as the platform, cool to see a big IP game take advantage of that.

Edit: lol beat me to it

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Pro controller battery life only matters if you're spending 6+ hours at a time in VR. Otherwise you can just leave them on the charging dock when you're not using them and literally never think about it. They are noticeably heavier than the Q3 controllers, though, and can have their own tracking foibles. One especially annoying thing about them is that because they use a built in rechargeable battery, there is no battery door, which means third party grips are all awkward rubber skins that wrap the entire controller and (subjectively) feel terrible.

I would only suggest buying them from a place with a solid return policy in case you hate them.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Bad Munki posted:

As I understand it, the Quest Pro controllers track as well as the headset itself, because they’re basically sporting the same self-tracking features. Battery life isn’t nearly as good though.

What’s the current state of the art with VR injection for Unity? I know there’s the UE injector which apparently works great for UE games, but I tried the raipal UUVR injector for a Unity game or two and couldn’t make it do anything. Are we just not there yet, or am I missing something?

Thoom posted:

Pro controller battery life only matters if you're spending 6+ hours at a time in VR. Otherwise you can just leave them on the charging dock when you're not using them and literally never think about it. They are noticeably heavier than the Q3 controllers, though, and can have their own tracking foibles. One especially annoying thing about them is that because they use a built in rechargeable battery, there is no battery door, which means third party grips are all awkward rubber skins that wrap the entire controller and (subjectively) feel terrible.

I would only suggest buying them from a place with a solid return policy in case you hate them.

Ah that's a bummer. I guess I'll just play beat saber on my 2. At the harder difficulties it's been unplayable on the 3, unless I do everything in a really weird posture where my controllers never leave LoS, and even then it's finicky.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

For what it's worth the Pro controllers last about 11-12 hours for me on a full charge. They last as long as two 20,000mah packs can keep my headset alive.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

vaginite posted:

Are the Quest 3 Pro controllers significantly better at tracking than the standard ones? I just upgraded to a 3 and after a week of beat saber and getting used to the new controllers, have concluded the tracking is significantly worse than the 2. I like the 3 a lot better and am down to drop $300 to fix the issue, but want to make sure it does.

If not I might just go back to the 2 for beat saber.

I have them, they're much better, but they're not at all $300 better. I got them in the first place because I got a Q2 on eBay for like $80 a year ago because it had no controllers or strap.

If leaderboards are that important, or if you just rage at the controllers when you whiff a table tennis serve, then yeah whatever.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

anything less than a 25% discount is no discount at all

if you ask in here you should be able to get a referral for 25% off any game (and $5 to the referrer)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TIP posted:

anything less than a 25% discount is no discount at all

if you ask in here you should be able to get a referral for 25% off any game (and $5 to the referrer)

Well, someone has to actually own the game to give a referral, so it won't work for deep cuts.

I got Underdogs though: https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/zerovgs/5302178529865980/

I'm also still doing that thing where if you do the $30 referral on a new device with me, I'll gift you the Virtual Desktop app: https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/zerovgs/

I just hooked up someone in another thread like a week ago.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 28, 2024

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero VGS posted:

Well, someone has to actually own the game to give a referral, so it won't work for deep cuts.

I'm not sure what deep cuts are worth getting, but you can always google for a referral

I think the only restriction is the game has to be more than $10

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Zero VGS posted:

I got Underdogs though: https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/zerovgs/5302178529865980/

I'm also still doing that thing where if you do the $30 referral on a new device with me, I'll gift you the Virtual Desktop app: https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/zerovgs/

I just hooked up someone in another thread like a week ago.

Thanks Zero! I hope I don't punch any of my walls, the demo was way fun

Have a code
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals...um=app_referral

I got a Contractors Showdown code
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals...um=app_referral

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone had virtual desktop poo poo itself after an update? It's telling me I don't have a PC running the streaming app when I in fact do and am looking at it.

My name's correct and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone had virtual desktop poo poo itself after an update? It's telling me I don't have a PC running the streaming app when I in fact do and am looking at it.

My name's correct and everything.

When that happens I usually just have to restart Virtual Desktop, the streamer app, or both. The steamer app can be found in the system tray menu.