Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Underdogs is unbelievable, glad I didn't sleep on it. The soundtrack and art style are fantastic. One of my favorite things is how immersive it is. The HUD is actually projecting on the glass in game, so as it cracks and chips, the HUD elements start to get damage too. The feeling I had when I dodged a leaping dog and spiked him to the wall with a backhand nailhammer strike was great lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yahoo news, the last bastion of journalistic integrity
https://news.yahoo.com/meta-vr-headsets-getting-masturbation-203035823.html?guccounter=1

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Pulling yourself forward to bash something and then just wheeling your arms up and around to overhead two hand smash it into the dirt is :discourse:. This game is some of the most fun I've ever had, inside OR out of VR .

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Underdogs looks like it has a very good gameplay hook. But it also looks like it suffers from typical VR game pitfalls. Repetitive roguelike gameplay to bottleneck a small amount of content. And not much enemy and levels variety. I bought it and refunded it for the Quest native version. But maybe I didn't give it enough time. Might try the steam version. Better visuals could help push me over the fence on this one.

Bought a bundle of steam VR games on sale. Virtual Virtual reality was fun, but quite brief. Duck Season has a very nice presentation, but its essentially one mini game, and I couldn't jive with the shotgun mechanics. Holding the shotgun with two hands and racking the gun was too finnicky. Gonna play The Talos Principle VR and The Falconeer next. Both are good flatscreen games ported to VR so i'm sure they'll be at least decent.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Ragaduffin posted:

My quest is now an Underdogs rig. I still haven't beat the first put boss, but I did at least see him today.

If you go full gorilla mode it is definitely a workout, and goofy as hell.

I was struggling with the Alpha dogs (I think) grabbing my arms, but realized I could just beat on them with the other arm - it's double effective, they take damage and let go early!

Best part is I feel like I'm working towards some flow state, where I'm smashing something, turning to knock the next one out of the air and then squaring up for a smash all automatic and smooth like. I'm sure I look stupid, but it feels awesome.

5 out of 5. Doesn't hurt that Peter Watts (of Blindsight) was "involved"

Yeah I think where it really clicked for me was on my 3rd run where I felt a legit physical improvement vs just unlocking new parts and getting a better build. Feels like I actually stared to mesh with the mechs movement and had much easier time planning out attack patterns vs just sorta smashing chaotically.

The moment where I knew I was sticking with this was anticipating a dogs jump, catching it midair, chucking him into a sticky exploder bot then knocking those two into a clump of other smaller fodder and wiping out 5 enemies in one.

The game is just foundationally very good because I could see a flat version of a mech arena fighting roguelike being awesome in its own right, but making it VR with the gorilla movement elevates it and the visual design is really really cool.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

and the visual design is really really cool.

The soundtrack is also perfect for this

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

MeatRocket8 posted:

Underdogs looks like it has a very good gameplay hook. But it also looks like it suffers from typical VR game pitfalls. Repetitive roguelike gameplay to bottleneck a small amount of content. And not much enemy and levels variety. I bought it and refunded it for the Quest native version. But maybe I didn't give it enough time. Might try the steam version. Better visuals could help push me over the fence on this one.

Bought a bundle of steam VR games on sale. Virtual Virtual reality was fun, but quite brief. Duck Season has a very nice presentation, but its essentially one mini game, and I couldn't jive with the shotgun mechanics. Holding the shotgun with two hands and racking the gun was too finnicky. Gonna play The Talos Principle VR and The Falconeer next. Both are good flatscreen games ported to VR so i'm sure they'll be at least decent.

I'm not sure how small the content actually is - because I can't get past the first "level". I think there are 4 in total? Not sure, may have only released with 2 and have 4 planned (which doesn't invalidated your comment at all).

I think the PC version is suppose to look nicer for sure, but haven't seen any side by side comparisons. For me, I feel like the variety comes from learning how to handle all the same enemies - I change, even if they remain the same. But its also that I like the repetitive nature a bit because I'm also using it for a workout, so its doing double duty. I'll even go and do skirmish, which is just wave after wave with no story (palette swaps for enemies to indicate "harder", such a classic move).

What I'm hoping for is that they can stick with their road map, because it seems like they have a lot planned - and that could really improve the longevity of the game. Its just one of those where I feel like they nailed the core of things, but I can get it not being for everybody, particularly if you have a good rig for more ...extravagant things like Alyx, etc. I'm looking forward to Pacific Drive VR - don't have time now, but the UEVR injector apparently works fantastic!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Underdogs is the most immersive VR game I've played and I figured out why. There are literally zero points of separation between you and the game. In the real-world, you're standing up and holding controllers, which is exactly what your character is doing (in a floating gyrostabilized harness). You aren't holding controllers and pretending it's the rifle your character has, or holding a controller and imagining its the sword you're swinging in game. You even move about only through using this interaction system, rather than by using a controll stick. Everything you see and feel physically is exactly what's going on in the game. It's honestly a inspired, masterful design.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Underdogs is the most immersive VR game I've played and I figured out why. There are literally zero points of separation between you and the game. In the real-world, you're standing up and holding controllers, which is exactly what your character is doing (in a floating gyrostabilized harness). You aren't holding controllers and pretending it's the rifle your character has, or holding a controller and imagining its the sword you're swinging in game. You even move about only through using this interaction system, rather than by using a controll stick. Everything you see and feel physically is exactly what's going on in the game. It's honestly a inspired, masterful design.

Exactly this, also the locomotion means you never have to hit the edge of your guardian and re-adjust your position. Eliminates a major immersion-breaking aspect that's usually present.

I thought the same about the way Superhot and Virtual Virtual Reality both make you put on a VR headset in-game. Gives you an in-universe explanation for the thing sat on your head, increasing the alignment between what your body feels and what's going on in game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Somewhere, Lemming is nodding as like a sagacious Kungfu master touching his white beard.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
The session of Underdogs I posted the clip from ended up being insane, as I played for an hour and beat boss 1 and 2, both times losing my right arm. I took a really hot bath with some salts afterwards, because I thought for sure my left shoulder was going to be a mess the next day, but I was fine. I play it as way to practice shadowboxing, and use self imposed rules, basically punching only, no special claws or smashing the ground to make a shockwave or whatever, and hoo lordy was I glad that I practice my jab a lot, and throwing a southpaw straight right into the cockpit of the boss with everything I had left in me and getting the slow-mo victory screen gave me the same rush as beating a ton of enemies in Doom or something similar. Breathing heavily, dripping sweat, but goddamn, I did it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
are you guys playing underdogs as pcvr or via the quest app?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Is Underdogs worth playing on Quest 2?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Al! posted:

are you guys playing underdogs as pcvr or via the quest app?

PC, on a Quest 2 using Virtual Desktop.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Is Underdogs worth playing on Quest 2?

That's what i play on and it's great

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I play on a Q3 via Virtual Desktop on a wireless connection.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I resolved the quest link via cable issue. Ended up being both the cable and something in prefs because I deleted every folder for Oculus on my PC then re-installed, my link cable didnt work but tried a random one I had plugged into a hd and it finally worked.

Now I can dump all my sweet sweet Underdogs recordings.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can steam link to a quest 3 work over a cable, or is it strictly wifi?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

That's what i play on and it's great

Awesome. My buddies have Q2.

I have a Q3 and I've heard it benefits greatly from the Q3 Optimizer tool, but I've been procrastinating with that because it seems like a major hassle to install

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bad Munki posted:

Can steam link to a quest 3 work over a cable, or is it strictly wifi?

It's strictly WiFi, though I believe there is a hack with VD where you use a USB > Ethernet adapter :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ha, nah. That’s fine, I can use VD or whatever for wired.

Was just curious if I could ALWAYS use steam link, which I’ve been enjoying for the lovely simplicity of it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I really wish Stean Link would allow us to turn off the foveated encoding, its pretty much the only reason I dont use it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

To highlight something different from usual, Gesture VR launched the other week, it's a drawing based VR app. The gimmick is that includes 200 3d models to use as reference, and you can use 'virtual' pencils, in both 2d and 3d, or use MR to draw on real paper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG-sAU7zdkM

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

AccountSupervisor posted:

I really wish Stean Link would allow us to turn off the foveated encoding, its pretty much the only reason I dont use it.

Yeah, it's nice and easy to use and all but VD and Air Link both have better image quality.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

AndrewP posted:

Awesome. My buddies have Q2.

I have a Q3 and I've heard it benefits greatly from the Q3 Optimizer tool, but I've been procrastinating with that because it seems like a major hassle to install

The optimizer is really easy to install (watch a youtube tutorial - the written instructions were really poorly written imo when I got it); totally worth the price, too. I’ve noticed a huge jump in quality for some games, like Into the Radius and especially Powerwash Simulator (which is almost unplayable without the optimizer)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

JohnnySmitch posted:

The optimizer is really easy to install (watch a youtube tutorial - the written instructions were really poorly written imo when I got it); totally worth the price, too. I’ve noticed a huge jump in quality for some games, like Into the Radius and especially Powerwash Simulator (which is almost unplayable without the optimizer)
I always find situations like this confusing. What does the optimizer know that the devs of the actual game don't?

Is it just a matter of "the devs of the actual game know gameplay but not necessarily optimization, but that's the optimizer dev's specialty"?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
QGO adjusts resolution, framerate, CPU clock rate, GPU clock rate, and rendering foveation, by automating a process of sending ADB debug commands (that you could theoretically do manually from a PC, but much easier to do with QGO).

Some scenarios where it's helpful:

1. The dev never updated their game to target Quest 3, so there's a ton of free performance sitting on the table and all you have to do is tell the app to run at higher res/FPS.

2. The dev's settings are conservative for the sake of battery life, but you have an external battery pack and want to override them.

3. The dev's settings are conservative for the sake of avoiding stutter in the worst cases, but you're OK with tolerating a few frame drops here and there to get 90Hz instead of 72Hz most of the time.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally tried Bonelab and it has some odd interface decisions IMO.

The main thing I have been taught to expect is that I will miss things because the game showed a brief interface hint of what to do for all of 2 seconds total while I was looking somewhere else, and now I'm on my own.

That's always puzzled me, actually. In VR the software knows where I'm looking (well, where my head is pointed at least and how much it's moving) yet devs in VR seem to make a lot of assumptions about where I'm looking, and where my assumed-to-be-undivided attention is at any given moment.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The Eyes Have It posted:

The main thing I have been taught to expect is that I will miss things because the game showed a brief interface hint of what to do for all of 2 seconds total while I was looking somewhere else, and now I'm on my own.

That's always puzzled me, actually. In VR the software knows where I'm looking (well, where my head is pointed at least and how much it's moving) yet devs in VR seem to make a lot of assumptions about where I'm looking, and where my assumed-to-be attention is at any given moment.

Asgard's Wrath II had the same problem with its pause menu. When it first came out the pause menu could end up like 190 degrees behind you and when everyone pointed that out to the dev he was just "shrug I thought people would like that!"

Not knocking on the guy but these things seem like really obvious UX decisions. Putting menus in front of, you know, your eyes.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Beastie posted:

Asgard's Wrath II had the same problem with its pause menu. When it first came out the pause menu could end up like 190 degrees behind you and when everyone pointed that out to the dev he was just "shrug I thought people would like that!"

Not knocking on the guy but these things seem like really obvious UX decisions. Putting menus in front of, you know, your eyes.

If my experience as a dev has taught me anything, it's that a lot of devs make weird UX decisions.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's always puzzled me, actually. In VR the software knows where I'm looking (well, where my head is pointed at least and how much it's moving) yet devs in VR seem to make a lot of assumptions about where I'm looking, and where my assumed-to-be-undivided attention is at any given moment.

It took me a good half hour to realize I had an inventory yeah

But once you find the B menu and your body holsters it's all physical interaction from there

ScreenDoorThrillr fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 26, 2024

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

But once you find the B menu and your body holsters it's all physical interaction from there

Sure until I got to the stage selects, and spent a lot of dumb time trying to open and walk through a door to get to the stage... when you actually have to use the controller like a laser-pointer on the chalkboard-looking menu to the right of said door to actually enter the stage.

I genuinely have no idea whether that's inconsistent UI design or some kind of joke, because the Bonelabs/works crew definitely think differently than I do.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does RE4 Remake VR have teleport locomotion? I'm guessing no, even though the Quest port of the non-remake does?

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

The Eyes Have It posted:

Sure until I got to the stage selects, and spent a lot of dumb time trying to open and walk through a door to get to the stage... when you actually have to use the controller like a laser-pointer on the chalkboard-looking menu to the right of said door to actually enter the stage.

I genuinely have no idea whether that's inconsistent UI design or some kind of joke, because the Bonelabs/works crew definitely think differently than I do.

The other bonelabs UI Boner is needing to force grab the avatar dice in the intro scene, I did it by accident the first time

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I've been out of the VR scene for a while and am thinking of getting back into it.

I have an Oculus Rift CV1 but somehow the audio went out on one of the headphones. A few questions that hopefully someone can help with...

- Is there a reasonable non-Quest VR headset that will work with the Oculus and Steam stores?
- What are the chances Sony will make their VR2 headset compatible with PC?

I'm trying to avoid giving Meta money, but if Quest is really the best option:
- What's the quality like if I play Oculus/Steam games from my PC? Will it be a significant improvement over my CV1? Is the wireless from PC the same quality as wired from PC?
- How much better is the Rift 3 over Rift 2?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Quest is almost certainly the best option sub-$1000. Pico is also there if you want to send all your data to TikTok instead of Facebook. PSVR2 is a gamble. If you want to spend $1500+, newer SteamVR headsets like the Bigscreen Beyond are worth considering.

Streaming quality is dependent on your network setup. If your PC is hooked up to wired Ethernet and you're willing to spring for a dedicated router for VR, you should be good, otherwise things get dicier. It also depends on what game you're playing. Some games (Skyrim, Asgard's Wrath) suffer noticeably from compression, some games (Beat Saber) border on unplayable due to added latency, but for the most part it's fine.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

You don't really need a dedicated wireless router for streaming pcvr. The important part is that the pcvr source pc is ethernet connected and good signal quality for the headset. There's a bunch of ways to do that without a dedicated vr router that may be simpler to add to your network based on how its setup.

I run max quality virtual desktop streaming (400 mbps) without any issues on my normal network and it looks the same as the cable to me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there a good solution for improving Airlink if the PC isn't wired? Sometimes it runs fine and other times it doesn't.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
You don't absolutely need a dedicated wireless router, but it sure is easier than going through the 8000 troubleshooting steps for diagnosing why you're getting random lag spikes without one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
PSVR2 is a good headset with questionable support, supposedly Sony is opening it up to PC use but we're not really sure what that will look like yet. There's been a lot of doom and gloom lately.

I jumped into the Quest ecosystem with the 3 and have been impressed, I like messing around with it and sideloading emulators and remote playing my consoles and such. I haven't messed with PCVR a whole lot but have been playing through Half Life 2 VR in the basement and it's worked pretty flawless even with my wired PC being on the 2nd floor and my wifi router on the first floor.