Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/Flat2VR/status/1778640494739747199
https://twitter.com/Flat2VR/status/1778636812476387496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CatHorse posted:

The only thing Anduril does that relates to border/immigrants are those remote camera towers.
Him supporting Trump is bad. And the faster his relation to VR is forgotten, the better. But. There is no need to invent "poor immigrant tracking killer drones". Making stuff up is what republicans are doing. No need to sink to their level.

Don't forget lucky's zipper on the way back up there bud.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Pimax, kings of starting a new plate before finishing what's on their previous one, announced the Pimax Crystal Super. PCVR only. Doesn't seem to have wireless streaming in the cards, there's no battery (power is over the cable.) They're going with a swappable display unit, so you can swap in either a micro-OLED or QLED display element.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Eyes Have It posted:

Pimax, kings of starting a new plate before finishing what's on their previous one, announced the Pimax Crystal Super. PCVR only. Doesn't seem to have wireless streaming in the cards, there's no battery (power is over the cable.) They're going with a swappable display unit, so you can swap in either a micro-OLED or QLED display element.

I'm 1000% convinced them and VAIL are just money launderers.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Also announced a Crystal Light as a cheaper option but I'm not sure what exactly they stripped out

Edit: https://pimax.com/product/pimax-crystal-light-preorder-fee/

Light version removes:
- automatic IPD, though you can still adjust it manually
- Eye tracking
- Dynamic Foviated rendering
- interchangeable lenses
- 1 of the 3 microphones
- internal storage/processor/battery (i.e. it's no longer able to run in standalone)

$700USD for the QLED version and $900USD for the mini-LED version with local dimming

Comes with controllers which is more than you can say for some of those other high end headsets I guess.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 15, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like how they say how much lighter it is than the regular Crystal, but don't give an actual weight because it's still heavy (I did the math - 650g without the cable).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Beastie posted:

I don't, but I don't know how to play drums. But if you do the game does have support for a electronic kits and pads.

I put the pedal for the hi-hat on my left trigger and the kick drum on my right. Still, I am want to stress I don't play drums. For me, with no physical kit, the game doesn't penalize you for hitting more notes than called for. In fact, there are no fails at all, it just does the Guitar Hero thing were the music grinds to a halt.

I don't endorse this as any type of musician. I just have fun trying to play Smashing Pumpkins or Royal Blood songs when I get off work and get high.

Edit: Happy to provide referrals, the link to the song library is https://paradb.kumo.dev/.

Hey so this game rules, thanks for giving me the push needed to pick it up. Sure hit detection is wonky and sometimes my left stick likes to drift around when it's not in my periphery but it feels good enough to get me sweatin' pretending like it's a real kit. I just have the kick drum set to auto in the settings but I'm still bouncing my leg with the kick pedal and honestly I don't feel like I need the pedal with this option. I bought it on Steam in the off chance that I ever get a MIDI kit down the line (something I've always mulled over doing) but for now, for an apartment-minded solution to wanting to play rock band drums, this is pretty dang good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Heck yeah, glad you are enjoying it. Adding songs off that site I linked is super easy. Just unzip them to the Paradiddle folder named "Songs" in your directory.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh yeah I already played through the QOTSA selections and have started grabbing others :mmmhmm:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

I like how they say how much lighter it is than the regular Crystal, but don't give an actual weight because it's still heavy (I did the math - 650g without the cable).

Heavier than the q3 that’s still too heavy for me. One of these companies has got to get the weight off the head for standalone devices. Put the absolute minimum optics and sensors on the glasses and then I don’t care if the rest tethered to it is heavy as long as I can strap it to my arm, put it in a backpack, fanny pack, my pocket, something that isn’t my head.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

explosivo posted:

Oh yeah I already played through the QOTSA selections and have started grabbing others :mmmhmm:

Sweet. Let me know if you come across anything that really rocks out, sounds like we may have similar tastes in music.

Quest 3 finally updated to v64. Passthrough is improved, seems like its about 15-20% clearer.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

how is Pimax still around? where do they get their money?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AndrewP posted:

I can only assume creative accounting or a stable of whales lining up for every new headset they turn out.

I will say though, the Sword controllers are actually legit decent replacements for a Vive Wand if you want something for VRChat that's comfortable and will let you toggle/hold gestures though. Especially as you can swap the batteries out. I'd even call them more comfortable than Index controllers.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

I'm a customer and I'm stumped too. They lost the plot with these Crystal headsets; their whole differentiator was that they could hit near 200-degrees horizontal FOV on the 5K/8K lineup, now the Crystal and Light can only do 100-degrees horizontal or 112-degrees if you buy an additional wide-FOV lens set, at this point the Bigscreen Beyond just shames the gently caress outta them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Heavier than the q3 that’s still too heavy for me. One of these companies has got to get the weight off the head for standalone devices. Put the absolute minimum optics and sensors on the glasses and then I don’t care if the rest tethered to it is heavy as long as I can strap it to my arm, put it in a backpack, fanny pack, my pocket, something that isn’t my head.

It's not even standalone. They saved that weight by being PCVR only.

Zero VGS posted:

I'm a customer and I'm stumped too. They lost the plot with these Crystal headsets; their whole differentiator was that they could hit near 200-degrees horizontal FOV on the 5K/8K lineup, now the Crystal and Light can only do 100-degrees horizontal or 112-degrees if you buy an additional wide-FOV lens set, at this point the Bigscreen Beyond just shames the gently caress outta them.

I'm still waiting for my BSB that I ordered in December :argh:

I emailed them today and they said they have the facial interface and lenses ready, but they don't have any HMDs with my IPD in stock yet.

:negative:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 16, 2024

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

AndrewP posted:

I dunno, but it's entirely possible that they're being backed by private wads of money. VR is an emerging market and there's going to be people interested in getting on that train. If Pimax is 1) actually manufacturing and 2) actually selling their stuff at a profitable price point (even if the company as a whole is deep in sunk R&D costs, etc...) that's a pretty drat good position for a new hardware company to be in.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I just got the Oculus Quest 3. Unfortunately I don't have a PC at the moment for passthrough.

I'm familiar with and like Beat Saber and I expect you to die. Got the pack in Asgard's Wrath 2. What else should I be thinking of? I also tried Les Mills bodything and that was good. What's a good fun game in the realm of:

1) Escape Room puzzle solving

2) a good shooter, online not essential

3) a HEY WOW THAT LOOKS GREAT mixed reality game.

4) anything else that doesn't fit in the above categories but is still good.

I'm going to put on Sidequest VR also.

Actually while I think of it: I put on YoutubeVR and thought 'Hey, I'll watch Lord of the rings (which I had purchased) like it was IMAX' (or closest I can get) and it's in 480p. What the gently caress is up there?

Thanks!

Von Linus fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 16, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Synth Riders, Walkabout Mini Golf, Puzzling Places and Tetris Effect Connected are all regular plays for me.

Resi 4 VR is a great port, and Robo Recall still looks and feels great to play if you want something quick and arcadey.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Von Linus posted:

I just got the Oculus Quest 3. Unfortunately I don't have a PC at the moment for passthrough.

I'm familiar with and like Beat Saber and I expect you to die. Got the pack in Asgard's Wrath 2. What else should I be thinking of? I also tried Les Mills bodything and that was good. What's a good fun game in the realm of:

Red Matter 2

quote:

Contractors for online, Into the Radius for single player

quote:

Assassin's Creed Nexus has some neat mixed reality sections that look really cool, the game is also just good.

quote:

Walkabout Mini-golf, Underdogs

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Von Linus posted:

Actually while I think of it: I put on YoutubeVR and thought 'Hey, I'll watch Lord of the rings (which I had purchased) like it was IMAX' (or closest I can get) and it's in 480p. What the gently caress is up there?

Thanks!

Also check this thread before you buy anything, anyone will be happy to give a referral code.

And with SideQuest, remember about the Team Beef mods. You can run Doom 3, Quake 3, RTCW, HL1, Jedi OutKast, and more natively in VR (if you own these games),

Installing them and the mods takes like 15 minutes each, tops. Highly recommend Doom 3.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can only assume creative accounting or a stable of whales lining up for every new headset they turn out.

I will say though, the Sword controllers are actually legit decent replacements for a Vive Wand if you want something for VRChat that's comfortable and will let you toggle/hold gestures though. Especially as you can swap the batteries out. I'd even call them more comfortable than Index controllers.

Whales you say? That's what I was thinking when I saw this slide. 10+?!? :stare:

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 16, 2024

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:siren: This news transcends all other VR news :siren:

Stab It! VR is available in the app lab

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Von Linus posted:

Thanks!

Underdogs for an overall fantastic VR game. Perfect for short or long sessions, impeccable style and really fun gameplay.

Dungeons of Eternity and Until You Fall for great melee.

The Room VR and Seventh Guest for your escape room wants. I believe theres a new co-op escape room gaming coming very soon too.

For mixed reality, Brick Tales probably a fantastic showcase for that. Maybe Demeos MR mode as well.

Pistol Whip, Contractors or Into the Radius for shooters. RE4 as well.

Moss and Moss 2 for platformers, a more traditional gaming experience made really great for VR.

Walking Dead Saints and Sinners for a more immersive sim shooter/melee.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Man I expect you to die is such a good series, I think it's the first game that I've played and gone, "man this is what VR is for."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I finally got around to playing Demeo in the mixed reality mode, now that I have v64 of the Quest 3. Man is that cool. I was positively chuffed when I turned around and saw the game hung up some posters and artwork on my walls, a couple of half melted candles on my bookshelf, and a stuffed toy dragon off my light fixture. Absolutely delightful.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Von Linus posted:

Thanks!

I'd suggest signing up for Meta+ or whatever it's called for the rotating game library

Among many other games there's a really fun rails shooter called Drop Dead: dual strike

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Popping in to say v64 is a giant leap forward in passthrough clarity for me, with sunlight or close-to-it lighting. The biggest difference is outside windows and LCD/OLED screens arent overexposed and difficult to see.

And the faceless lady stuff series is amazing so far. The close and 3D perspective makes what would be an average to above average show incredible.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If anyone is into 3D films I have to recommend Owl3D Desktop Converter (not the app they have on the quest store). It's an AI tool (runs locally on your GPU) that adds 3D depth to a video in a similar way as is used by some of the more complex deepfake/image generation tools and it works really well. Does take about half a day to convert a standard film into 3D on the lowest quality on my midrange gaming CPU/GPU, but the results are genuinely pretty great. It does have a 60s demo as well, but for any longer it costs $10 a month (although it's not like you have to stay subscribed all the time).

Also 3D films in general are pretty great on the Quest 3, there's some light blooming from the pancake lenses but it's not that bad all in all; subjectively feels similar/slightly better than dimming zone blooming on a non-OLED HDR display.

e: I was really sceptical at first but the results really are very good for an "AI thing". Just leave the depth parameter on default, maybe turning on popout 1, otherwise your brain will get a bit confused with how the depth is working which manifests itself as a vague discomfort/nausea and eye strain. The program warns you about it but it's definitely worth keeping in mind.

There are also some free tools that do it as well, but the results aren't as good, at least for the ones I tried.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 19, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

EbolaIvory posted:

Don't forget lucky's zipper on the way back up there bud.

loving gross, don't post like that

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I finally got past the second boss in my Underdogs run today, definitely one of the most thrilling hours of VR Ive ever had. Just a total blast and I was absolutely drenched by the end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is that stress sweat or exercise sweat lol?

I also ended up getting a Supernatural subscription after the recommendations upthread lol. It really fills a specific niche in terms of having music I recognize, minimal world motion or flashing lights to trigger vertigo, and movements that feel dancey enough to push my rhythm game buttons (something which Beat Saber surprisingly fell out of constantly for me lol). And honestly I appreciate how unrealistically peppy all the coaches are

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

loving gross, don't post like that

"Lucky" is the VR fox from Lucky's Tale, "Luckey" is the tech brony

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I also ended up getting a Supernatural subscription after the recommendations upthread lol. It really fills a specific niche in terms of having music I recognize, minimal world motion or flashing lights to trigger vertigo, and movements that feel dancey enough to push my rhythm game buttons (something which Beat Saber surprisingly fell out of constantly for me lol). And honestly I appreciate how unrealistically peppy all the coaches are

Supernatural isn't available for me in Europe apparently. I wonder is it data protection or something.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I have the Quest+ for a month to see how that goes. The zombie game is decent, I've just gone back through the graveyard and have shot lots of people in the face and saved some people so that's pleasant.

I'll give the trial of Moss a go, I don't really understand how platformers would work in VR but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I beat The Room and 7th Guest back in the day. I see Room has a sequel though so I will give that a shot.

Underdogs looks good but maybe I'll put that on the long finger until I get through some of the stuff I have. Thanks again everyone.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Got a referral code from another forum dweller on another part of the internet.

Didn't work.

Appsharing wouldn't work 'cause another old headset of mine hadn't been disconnected properly on the backend, and was online with support at 6pm Naarm, Australia time.

Decided to ask about the referral. Boom. $50AUD (instead of $47AUD) in my account (and the referrer's).

Great customer service.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Von Linus posted:

Supernatural isn't available for me in Europe apparently. I wonder is it data protection or something.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I have the Quest+ for a month to see how that goes. The zombie game is decent, I've just gone back through the graveyard and have shot lots of people in the face and saved some people so that's pleasant.

I'll give the trial of Moss a go, I don't really understand how platformers would work in VR but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I beat The Room and 7th Guest back in the day. I see Room has a sequel though so I will give that a shot.

Underdogs looks good but maybe I'll put that on the long finger until I get through some of the stuff I have. Thanks again everyone.

Platformers are exactly the same, just in 3D. And it rules.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Von Linus posted:

More probably a licensing issue with the music.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

More probably a licensing issue with the music.

Yes its 100% the licensing, I know this specifically because my wife works at a label that has music on Supernatural.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Both! Great arm workout and the rogue nature really ramps up the anxiety of losing and having to start over.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally got around to playing Walking Dead Saints and Sinners after picking it up on a sale a while ago.

Really enjoy so far what they did and the way the gameplay loop is structured. It's a game that fits really well into what the hardware is capable of, and clearly designed to work within those constraints well.

I do have problems which are almost entirely UI, nothing new there. Game like this that try to marionette your whole body really highlight the way that the game's awareness of you real body being limited to head/hands only really is a sucky IK platform for inferring body positions.

Head direction based locomotion is really not ideal in an environment where I want my head on a swivel while moving. I've really never been happy with treating head direction like a mouse pointer.

Also I constantly pick up the wrong thing from my holsters/docks. Pulling weapons from hip holsters or back isn't bad, but trying to grab map or flashlight is a nightmare at times. A problem I never had with RE4 or even (shudder) Bonelab. I'm tempted to blame the imperfect body position mapping. At least it hasn't gotten me killed (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

Head direction based locomotion is really not ideal in an environment where I want my head on a swivel while moving. I've really never been happy with treating head direction like a mouse pointer.

Use the other option, it infers your direction using a combination of data from the HMD and controllers. Works really well.