Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I tried the other mode briefly (Freelook, exactly what it does isn't explained) and could tell steering-with-your-face was still happening. Felt weird to me so I went back to the default which at least was what I knew. This game is teaching me the "constant joystick fiddling to offset head direction as second nature" technique.

Any tips on using it effectively?

Amusingly I tried to look up what exactly 'Freelook' does / how it works. Maybe I can work with it if I know what to expect. So far all my search results are people complaining "if i choose free look mode and move forward I still move in the direction of the headset and not the controller" :v:

e: Also amusingly I accidentally figured out how the watch actually works in the process, what an opaque thing. The game never says a lick about it other than "your watch will help you track when to GTFO". I've been crouching this whole time to see my health/stamina :goleft: And I had how the timer display actually works wrong.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

The Eyes Have It posted:

Head direction based locomotion is really not ideal in an environment where I want my head on a swivel while moving. I've really never been happy with treating head direction like a mouse pointer.

Agreed, one of the best things in VR FPSs is the fact that you can move, shoot and look in different directions. I like the version where hand direction determines forward, seems to be much more natural and I get way less motion sickness from it. Does Saint and Sinners not have that option then? I was planning on getting it at some point.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Weirdly it does not. The 'freelook' mode is apparently a hybrid of some kind, I'll give it another try knowing now what I know. But there is no pure hand direction = move direction setting.

That being said, I hate head look... but I'm managing because I like the game.

There's another facet to all this, too: Saints and Sinners is a game where both hands are frequently doing something. That makes 'off-hand direction' locomotion steering harder, because your offhand is often busy with something else and therefore pointing in directions unrelated to where you want to steer.

Games where your main hand is rocking a one-handed weapon and you can hold your offhand kind of tucked by your side work best for hand-direction locomotion in my personal experience. The more gameplay has you doing active stuff with both hands, the less good it works. It's manageable if you're either using both hands OR moving, but if you're doing both then as a control scheme I'm realizing it goes downhill fast.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Private Speech posted:

If anyone is into 3D films I have to recommend Owl3D Desktop Converter (not the app they have on the quest store). It's an AI tool (runs locally on your GPU) that adds 3D depth to a video in a similar way as is used by some of the more complex deepfake/image generation tools and it works really well. Does take about half a day to convert a standard film into 3D on the lowest quality on my midrange gaming CPU/GPU, but the results are genuinely pretty great, virtually no artifacts, maybe like one every half an hour or more. It does have a 60s demo as well, but for any longer it costs $10 a month (although it's not like you have to stay subscribed all the time).

Also 3D films in general are pretty great on the Quest 3, there's some light blooming from the pancake lenses but it's not that bad all in all; subjectively feels similar/slightly better than dimming zone blooming on a non-OLED HDR display.

e: I was really sceptical at first but the results really are very good for an "AI thing". Just leave the depth parameter on default, maybe turning on popout 1, otherwise your brain will get a bit confused with how the depth is working which manifests itself as a vague discomfort/nausea and eye strain. The program warns you about it but it's definitely worth keeping in mind.

There are also some free tools that do it as well, but the results aren't as good, at least for the ones I tried.

Hmmm I will have to check this out but Im generally very unimpressed with these fan 3D conversions and Ive seen a ton of them.

Even the "good" ones done by JFC and others in the community are lacking compared to official studio conversions, which are practically as good if not better than native 3D content now.

For instance, in the Owl3D conversions youve done, when theres a close up/medium closeup of a face, is the nose a different depth plane than eyes, etc? Its these small details that always killed fan conversions for me.

They seem to get the general depth correct like the full figures of people standing on different planes but fail when it comes to the finer details. Background objects, particle effects, etc.

Given the best 3D experiences are action films, how well does it handle fast paced chaotic scenes with a ton of items and visual information?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Hmmm I will have to check this out but Im generally very unimpressed with these fan 3D conversions and Ive seen a ton of them.

Even the "good" ones done by JFC and others in the community are lacking compared to official studio conversions, which are practically as good if not better than native 3D content now.

For instance, in the Owl3D conversions youve done, when theres a close up/medium closeup of a face, is the nose a different depth plane than eyes, etc? Its these small details that always killed fan conversions for me.

They seem to get the general depth correct like the full figures of people standing on different planes but fail when it comes to the finer details. Background objects, particle effects, etc.

Given the best 3D experiences are action films, how well does it handle fast paced chaotic scenes with a ton of items and visual information?

Yeah it's not perfect by any means, and especially in chaotic scenes as you asked it can struggle a bit, but I didn't notice faces being particularly wrong at least - mostly I've seen issues with hands occasionally being in a weird plane. It does handle background objects quite well, at least if well-lit.

I find it enjoyable enough but it might depend on what your standards are.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I will definitely check it out and do some tests. I love 3D movies and am so bummed the medium has slowed down as VR gets bigger, so would love a solution for some recent films like Dune 2. Dune 1 had a 3D version and it was loving awesome.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

I finally got past the second boss in my Underdogs run today, definitely one of the most thrilling hours of VR Ive ever had. Just a total blast and I was absolutely drenched by the end.

got to the final boss in underdogs on like my 3rd run (im just good at throwing wild haymakers that are still somehow accurate) but i was extremely annoyed that my build was not made for it at all. without spoiling too much it felt like going with pincers is a trap.

using the nailgun on my off hand in this one and its extremely fun because i put my debuffs all on that hand but my left hand is super strong

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Al! posted:

got to the final boss in underdogs on like my 3rd run (im just good at throwing wild haymakers that are still somehow accurate) but i was extremely annoyed that my build was not made for it at all. without spoiling too much it felt like going with pincers is a trap.

using the nailgun on my off hand in this one and its extremely fun because i put my debuffs all on that hand but my left hand is super strong

Good to know since I usually skip pincers, the grabbing never felt smooth enough despite being incredibly fun so I felt like I was wasting damage and leaving myself vulnerable.

Used the nail gun for the first time this last run and it was such a blast. Ended up swapping it out in the end but hoping I can get some better upgrades for it if I fail this current run.

My right arm on my current build is insanely OP and its def carrying me. It goes Turbo on wide swings, has insanely high stun and shock damage and Ive got an add on that cancels out the -50% power from two of the other add ons. It also makes enemies overheat when stunned which is suuuuper helpful.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Yeah it's not perfect by any means, and especially in chaotic scenes as you asked it can struggle a bit, but I didn't notice faces being particularly wrong at least - mostly I've seen issues with hands occasionally being in a weird plane. It does handle background objects quite well, at least if well-lit.

I find it enjoyable enough but it might depend on what your standards are.

Ok wow this thing is craaaaaazy good especially for an automated process, at least on the quick Dune 2 scene I just tested. I will absolutely be testing this on the full movie now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Guys what if someone make, dunno, a VR game, where you shoot lots of zombies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ea1sKtasJ4

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Well there’s only one thing to do in VR and that’s shoot guns, didn’t you know

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

please stop making zombie games. someone make a spiritual sequel to Area 51 instead.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

aircar but it's crazy taxi would sell a billion units imo

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I said come in! posted:

please stop making zombie games. someone make a spiritual sequel to Area 51 instead.

This, but also just make it basically a rail shooter. I have yet to play a free movement shooter that didn't make me kinda sick. Alyx was about the closest and that's because I was using teleport movement.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I tried flying wwii planes and kept crashing.

"Use your flaps"
No highlighted flap control or label, wtf

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

Any tips on using it effectively?

Head movements do still shift direction a bit, but try keeping your hands in the same general position as you look around and the effects of that will be diminished.

It also seems to work best when standing up/roomscale or playing on a swivel chair, using your body to turn around instead of the stick.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks for the tips, I'll give it another try. I usually physically turn my body instead of stick turning in games like this, so that part won't be a problem.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

fwiw I was a hand direction person before the movement for me clicked in S&S and now I advocate for everyone to steal what that game did.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ok wow this thing is craaaaaazy good especially for an automated process, at least on the quick Dune 2 scene I just tested. I will absolutely be testing this on the full movie now.

I haven't tried it on Dune 2 yet, but yeah, it's definitely one on my list.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_JvliStjpg
Clearly Super Hot-inspired

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

I'll wait for the update where they rip out the story

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Could I get a referral code for The Room: A Dark Matter please?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Anybody played UBOAT - The Silent Wolf; if so, is it as good as it looks, and does anyone have a ref code for it (but only if its as good as the trailer makes it out to be)?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Von Linus posted:

Could I get a referral code for The Room: A Dark Matter please?

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/2124523024270629/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=2&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

23 Skidoo posted:

Anybody played UBOAT - The Silent Wolf; if so, is it as good as it looks, and does anyone have a ref code for it (but only if its as good as the trailer makes it out to be)?

Honestly, i still have not played it, but....

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/4028925843825801/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=2&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

THANKS! Using this one.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

23 Skidoo posted:

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/beastie_bomber/4028925843825801/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=4&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

There's some jank but it is still good fun. I also haven't played it in a few weeks but that's because my buddy has not been available.

You can be my buddy?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Beastie posted:

You can be my buddy?

I caved and bought it before I saw the referral codes using a Reddit code; sorry goons.

I can, however, still be your shitmate if required/wanted.

Permission to board the Wessel?

Seriously though, I'm free most of the time, depending on where you are in the world.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm still playing Humanity. It's the best VR game I played in a while.

Except... it's one of those games where the VR mode is tacked on, it wasn't really needed for the game. But well, a good game is a good game, and it's better a good game with VR that feels optional that a mediocre 'native' VR game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

23 Skidoo posted:

I caved and bought it before I saw the referral codes using a Reddit code; sorry goons.

I can, however, still be your shitmate if required/wanted.

Permission to board the Wessel?

Seriously though, I'm free most of the time, depending on where you are in the world.

No worries, glad you were still able to save some scratch.

My Quest name is @Beastie_Bomber and I'm east coast USA. I'm heading out of town tonight with the lady though. But I'm available most weeknights until about midnight.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Beastie posted:

I'm heading out of town tonight with the lady though. But I'm available most weeknights until about midnight.

Sweet; added on Meta (FranklinBHappyheimer)

HMU when you're free!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Having a blast with paradiddle and for the first time I'm thinking about the Quest 3 because I'm sure the tracking on the controllers would be better for this than the 2. Also I clank the hoops together all the time. The passthrough mode is sweet and also probably way cooler with the 3.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm still playing Humanity. It's the best VR game I played in a while.

Except... it's one of those games where the VR mode is tacked on, it wasn't really needed for the game. But well, a good game is a good game, and it's better a good game with VR that feels optional that a mediocre 'native' VR game.

Yeah I showed it to my bf to give him something to try besides mainlining Eleven Table Tennis all night, he really liked it. And he's a casual so he never questioned why it had to be in VR. There's a few cutscenes and stuff that show off the scale, but it felt like the obligatory 3D movie "show off" scenes where something flies right toward the camera, to justify the experience. Still, Tetris didn't need to be VR either, but it's nice to just shut everything out and soak it in. It also helps that the Q3 is a well-balanced headset [at least, it is with a knockoff elite battery strap] so it isn't obnoxious to hang out inside it for chill seated experiences.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

explosivo posted:

Having a blast with paradiddle and for the first time I'm thinking about the Quest 3 because I'm sure the tracking on the controllers would be better for this than the 2. Also I clank the hoops together all the time. The passthrough mode is sweet and also probably way cooler with the 3.

passthrough is better, tracking is better (sort of? it seems to have more trouble tracking the controllers when theyre out of visual range than the q2. also kind of miss absent mindedly clacking the hoops together during loading screens) however the real gain in the q3 is the freakin lenses

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Umm it's very obviously cold and not super hot at all. Honestly.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Private Speech posted:

I haven't tried it on Dune 2 yet, but yeah, it's definitely one on my list.

What settings do you use? Ive been doing a lot of testing. Seems Precision at Strength -7 and Popout 7 with Temporal Stablility at Low gave pretty good results, less artifacts and haloing and pretty accurate depth mapping.

I gave the Ultra Precision a shot since I have a 4090 and my god even on that it took an hour to convert a single second. Seems the depth mapping doesnt improve much but gives a much sharper and more accurate edge on each plane.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've played with it too and strength and popout both seem to be just sort of :shrug:
I mean they clearly do stuff, but what to set it at and what is best for viewing in a Q3 via skybox for example is very much a :shrug: feeling process.

I'll try your settings, thanks for sharing!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

In simplest terms its a push pull effect of the depth map. Pop out pulls anything white in the depth map closer and strength pushes gradient falloff from the white back into the image plane. Having both of these cranked in sort of opposite directions creates a nice depth without pushing the strength so hard it creates a haloing of textures around different planes due to more pixels needing to be cloned.

IE in a closeup itll still bring depth to the face via pop out while reducing haloing around hair/head edges because the background isnt pushed as deep into the plane via strength.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

explosivo posted:

I was just playing some Def Leppard (two handed) before my girlfriend came over.

I do feel like I still lose tracking if one of the cymbals is way off to my shoulder, but I usually just adjust the kit. I don't know if it's any better or worse on the 2 through.

That said I do miss the controller loops as it was easy to hang off my hand when I grab my vape/phone/drink/whatever.

Pass through is neat on 3 but I turn it off on Paradiddle because, quite frankly, the themes are more interesting than my apartment. Plus it saves on battery life. I do wish there were more. Unplugged (gitbox game) where there's little basement clubs, studios, big concerts, etc. I want to play drums on top of a mountain god damnit.

Also, I'm not sure if it's a bug or just a poorly implemented idea, but every time I sit down for the first time there's a half a kit in my body. I always go to options and hit delete all drums but everytime I go back it's saved whatever set up I used on the last song, in the wrong place, at a weird height.

Sometimes I do play in different places (better light, more comfortable, near a fan for sweaty goon man) but god drat it I wish I could start the game without having to delete the kit every time

Beastie fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 19, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

How is RE 4 on Quest? Fun? Super scary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

AndrewP posted:

How is RE 4 on Quest? Fun? Super scary?

I know the game pretty well, and it still scares me. That said, you can move, but the zombies behave like you have tank controls. Which makes you like John Wick. Knife in one hand, gun in the other.