Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
idk besides a few jump scares i didnt find re4 too scary. its simply too brightly lit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I am a little baby and everything scares me in VR lol

I might get it and play through it with some buddies though

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Beastie posted:

Also, I'm not sure if it's a bug or just a poorly implemented idea, but every time I sit down for the first time there's a half a kit in my body. I always go to options and hit delete all drums but everytime I go back it's saved whatever set up I used on the last song, in the wrong place, at a weird height.

Sometimes I do play in different places (better light, more comfortable, near a fan for sweaty goon man) but god drat it I wish I could start the game without having to delete the kit every time

I do kinda wish for a way to move the whole set up or down together rather than each individual drum. It always feels like what loads in for me is slightly too high so I have to go to each drum and manually move it a little which is kind of annoying. Also yeah I do wish there were more environments, especially clean ones like the void one because I sorta prefer that. Probably why I went with the passthrough mode.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

explosivo posted:

I do kinda wish for a way to move the whole set up or down together rather than each individual drum.

Good news! You can! If you look down and grab those 4 arrows surrounded by a circle you can drag the whole kit left and right, and up and down by using the joystick.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

RE4VR isn't scary; it's tense. It's still an arcade game at heart, so you're in a constant state of itchy-trigger tension heading to the next shooting galley while scraping up all the items like a goblin. Fights are tense since you have a lot more power and control with the new freedoms of play, but you still need situational awareness and quick move-and-shoots to not get tagged or hit from behind. The only time I was every genuinely scream-scared was when I turned around and there was a Novistador standing up in my face: you don't realize how goddamn huge they are until you see one towering over you. Fighting the Right Hand made me wish for an arena mode of endless waves of him since that was an excellent fast fight in VR. So yeah, not scary, but you'll get sick with lots of little adrenaline spikes.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
It's hard to be too scared when you're collecting little treasure chests full of gold and gems

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I really really want to play RE4 on Quest 3 but I am holding out hopes I can snag a PSVR2 or they add it to the PC version. I am sure its excellent regardless but thats exactly why Im hoping to save it for something more graphically powerful.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Beastie posted:

Good news! You can! If you look down and grab those 4 arrows surrounded by a circle you can drag the whole kit left and right, and up and down by using the joystick.

Hot drat, thanks!

Also RE4VR is one of the best VR games I've ever played tbh. It's just pretty crazy how well that game translates into VR and it's a high quality port. Highly recommended.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

AccountSupervisor posted:

What settings do you use? Ive been doing a lot of testing. Seems Precision at Strength -7 and Popout 7 with Temporal Stablility at Low gave pretty good results, less artifacts and haloing and pretty accurate depth mapping.

I gave the Ultra Precision a shot since I have a 4090 and my god even on that it took an hour to convert a single second. Seems the depth mapping doesnt improve much but gives a much sharper and more accurate edge on each plane.

As I said I tend to use mild S:0 P:1 since making it too strong tended to make nauseous - but I never tried doing the offsetting thing, I'll see if that helps. FWIW I remember seeing S:-3 P:7 recommended somewhere on reddit, but I have no clue if it's any good.

e: It does struggle with panning shots though, especially haloing. It's much better at relatively static scenes in that respect.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 19, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

How is RE 4 on Quest? Fun? Super scary?

It is very good, and I greatly appreciate that it has teleport controls. None of the Praydog PCVR Resident Evil ports have teleport, including RE4 Remake (which apparently does have teleport on the Playstation version).

I would offer you the 25% off referral code, but the sale price is even lower than that and you can't stack the two.

Beastie posted:

I know the game pretty well, and it still scares me. That said, you can move, but the zombies behave like you have tank controls. Which makes you like John Wick. Knife in one hand, gun in the other.

Between teleport and my lack of situational awareness in first person, that kinda brings it back to being normal RE4 Gamecube tank control difficulty.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

I can't work out if this is the people behind superhot doing a bit considering how meta it got, or just the most shameless thing i've seen since the great giana sisters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oh how is the new cosmic smash

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I can't work out if this is the people behind superhot doing a bit considering how meta it got, or just the most shameless thing i've seen since the great giana sisters.

It’s definitely just a guy going for the exact same style, based off of some reddit posts and videos he’s put up. Just with a less interesting mechanic and some backrooms theming thrown in that no one ever seems to use well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vbxQNBb_3A
new class and map for Light Brigade

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, Umarangi Generation is out. Ref link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1xXLgUKGRo

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Aw man, this is the point I realize it's locked to Quest. Dangit.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I really really want to play RE4 on Quest 3 but I am holding out hopes I can snag a PSVR2 or they add it to the PC version. I am sure its excellent regardless but thats exactly why Im hoping to save it for something more graphically powerful.

Remember that it's the original RE4 on Quest, not the remake, so it's not exactly the same game anyway.

However you can already run the remake in PCVR using the praydog RE Framework mod: https://github.com/praydog/REFramework/releases

Not tried it with RE4 Remake, so no endorsement! However RE2 and 3 Remake were very playable with it, if you can put up with some janky cutscenes (they work perfectly, but you will see a ton of off-camera stuff you weren't meant to see).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having trouble with the current sale? I can see the sale prices but when I log in to buy, it's full price again.

Sale's on the meta store.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone else having trouble with the current sale? I can see the sale prices but when I log in to buy, it's full price again.

Sale's on the meta store.

It seems to work for me? This is the url for the Sale
https://www.meta.com/en-gb/experiences/section/7308068185908305

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Did they get rid of the "newest" category? The other day I looked both at the web store and the app and couldn't for the life of me find a "latest releases" list.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Did they get rid of the "newest" category? The other day I looked both at the web store and the app and couldn't for the life of me find a "latest releases" list.

They are very fond on their algoritmhic bullshit and sometimes it changes the order of categories or it just don't appear. Here, for me it appears the second one:
https://www.meta.com/en-gb/experiences/section/2735199833461641

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember for the longest time it was not really feasible to actually see your entire wishlist, so no oddball UI choice on the store seems beyond them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Double post

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Those 8K 3D VR vids from Slice of Life VR on Youtube are pretty fuckin wild. If it werent for youtube compression those would be probably the closest to a holodeck feeling experience Ive ever had in VR.

Does anybody know of places to DL stuff like that to avoid compression?

Also briefly peeped that Faceless Lady horror show in Horizon Worlds(ew). Actually pretty cool? Sucks its only viewable live so you have to be around to catch the episodes.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Those 8K 3D VR vids from Slice of Life VR on Youtube are pretty fuckin wild. If it werent for youtube compression those would be probably the closest to a holodeck feeling experience Ive ever had in VR.

Also briefly peeped that Faceless Lady horror show in Horizon Worlds(ew). Actually pretty cool? Sucks its only viewable live so you have to be around to catch the episodes.

Here is Slice of Life's Patreon, which gives you access to direct downloads of his videos: https://www.patreon.com/Sliceoflifevr?utm_campaign=creatorshare_fan

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone ever wind up doing light-field videos or still too impractical/expensive?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Nothing that I personally know of, I'm just a guy but I do chase down that stuff wherever I see it. A couple years ago I saw some Google research about using AI to process and segment video & turn it into a lightfield. Looked really really good. Nothing much since which I have to admit is a bit surprising.

Maybe now with 3d video being more of a thing (Apple's immersive video, etc) that'll get a kick in the pants.

Viewing a lightfield in VR is just fuckin :discourse: and will blow your mind if you already think a high res VR 180/360 video is awesome.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Nothing that I personally know of, I'm just a guy but I do chase down that stuff wherever I see it. A couple years ago I saw some Google research about using AI to process and segment video & turn it into a lightfield. Looked really really good. Nothing much since which I have to admit is a bit surprising.

Google cancelling a project? They would never.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Tried watching on Skybox VR, could only watch 90 degree 3k video, tried an 8k 360 and it crashed the app. Tried the Youtube VR in Steam and it's laughably bad compared to every other player. Is Bigscreen any better or is there some other video watching software that's recommended?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I imagine everyone has been breathlessly waiting for my vr updates:

1: I was playing Audio Trip for 43 minutes on Beginner level, and my fitbit said I burned 358 calories. I cycled to work this morning, it took 43 minutes for 7 miles (lots of stop lights) and it sad I burned 350 calories. the mind boggles. I suppose the audio trip is more all over exercise. I was amazed Bangarang was on it. I dunno, it just feels so dated.

2: I expect you to die: I had this on the Quest 1 ages ago and never got anywhere so put it down. Then I played it yesterday and nearly cleared the whole thing. It's SO charming. The real sticking point was the escape pod, didn't make the connection of what I should be doing, but once I had done it, it made sense. Just staring me in the face.

3: The Room Dark Matter: I like this a lot. it feels very tactile, and the mood is really well maintained unless your children kick a football full force into your stomach while you are lifting the lid of a sarcophagus. Might not happen to everyone. Thanks for the Discount code!

4:Pisto Whip: This really started hurting my back, it's good how vague the aiming is. I know in principle I'm going 'IN THE GENERAL DIRECTION OF' I also only really got into the rhythm of it when I was whipping dudes in the face, not shooting. I am not sure I will have synchronise the beat to the shot. But I like the aesthetic and music. It's moody and pulp, like being in a 1980s tech noir thing.

5: Until You Fall: This is less forgiving in movements than Pistol Whip, the sword positioning has to be fairly exact, but it's quite fun for all that. I am not far at all in, just the second level after crushing the difficulty Gem, which took a while to figure out, as I was trying to place the gem I had picked into the leftmost plinth, because I thought thats how you select. But I got it, then I got got.

6: loaded up a trial of Moss. It seems nice, but not like. WOW YOU MUST TRY. Well. Maybe it's WOW YOU MUST TRY but like, don't necessarily buy it. It's good, but doesnt' feel essential or immediate, or like it couldn't be done in normal view. Like, Rayman lets you do similar object manipulation in 2d, unless it gets a lot more complicated after the trial.

7: beat Saber. I just play Daft Punk ALL THE TIME. it even makes me tolerate Pharrell.

8: Floor Plan 2 is quite cute but kind of annoying. Like I expect you to die has puzzles I think 'Oh, I didn't figure that out but I should have' and Floor Plan is 'How the gently caress did anyone think of that' Like Monkey Island 2 without the joy.

9: Eye of the Temple: IS loving GREAT. it deals SO well with motion in a confined space, I lurched several times in fear at falling off a rolling thing. I would say it's a standout if you want people to see what VR can be like as a puzzler.

10:Asgards Wrath 2: I dunno. I gave it a go and I have to go back it it. It seems very expensive which is nice.

11: Red Matter: It's ok. It feels dated in terms of locomotion, and also I'm stuck which doesn't help. In the lift. At the start. The Doors open but I can't do poo poo.

12: Humanity: had it on the PS5, it 's interesting but nothing particularly 'WOW VR' about it. I think I'm firmly in the WOW ME stage and this is impressive for a sit and think game but not a VR game.

13: Demeo: I'm just poo poo at this. I use all my spells and those bastards kick the poo poo out of me, it's worse than time with my children. I like it though, I probably just need to practise. It really makes me want to force some of my friends to get headsets

14: Tea For God demo: I DON'T HAVE THE RANGE IN MY HOUSE. I don't want to go outside where actual people can see me be god. Not yet.

15: Tetris: It's good but it's tetris. I don't smoke enough for it.

16: Espire 1: VR Operative. It's weird having Solid Snake be an Australian possessing a robot, but then, the only reason Kojima didn't go that route midway through a game is probably it didn't occur to him.

17: Contractors - It's weird pulling guns off your chest and trying to aim down the sights. It is frankly all hosed up and I don't like the aiming. I've only been on the training course because it feels like people will be mean to me with some justification if I play it for real.

18:Trivia Crack World: Don't dress up a trivia game as something it's not, just give me that sweet trivia. It fees fun for a sec fishing for the answers until you realise you are a grown man and have a job.

19: Underdogs: There's a real feel of heft to the game, to the machines. I like it. My son wants to play but there are words such as gently caress and poo poo in it.

20: Gorilla Tag: My son wants me to play Gorilla Tag but it seems to be some sort of sting operation for nonces.

21: Drop Dead Dual Strike- I like this a lot. Apart from the megaphone buster thing which I used on the dude pulling my cart, the guns are fun, and you can go loving mental spinning around giving ocular patdowns and then deciding yes, they have to die.

22: Meta Horizon Worlds: I went to a virtual comedy club and it was bad then I went to a virtual haunted high school with 2 children playing and I left. It seems like a waste of time.

So that's what I've been doing. the Meta Quest + thing seems pretty good for an instant introduction to bits and bobs, but like. A lot of it seems kind of crappy. I tried Doom3, and Quake3 on the sidequest and my reaction speed is nil so maybe it's not for me.

But overall it's very impressive. I went to bed last night and put it on lying down moad and played a bit of Moss, and watched an 8k youtube video, and complained that I couldn't watched a youtube movie I paid for in proper HD, but only 480p. But still, I was lying on my back looking at a big screen. That's not so bad.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Von Linus posted:

19: Underdogs: There's a real feel of heft to the game, to the machines. I like it. My son wants to play but there are words such as gently caress and poo poo in it.

20: Gorilla Tag: My son wants me to play Gorilla Tag but it seems to be some sort of sting operation for nonces.

19: There is a profanity filter coming for underdogs (might already be in, i haven't put it on my head in a minute)

20: to be fair, it doesn't groom your children, it just teaches them to be insanely racist.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Von Linus posted:

22: Meta Horizon Worlds: I went to a virtual comedy club and it was bad then I went to a virtual haunted high school with 2 children playing and I left. It seems like a waste of time.

You know, I did the setup of my avatar, but I never actually entered in Horizon Worlds, after after so many months after the initial opening. Sorry Zuck.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

You know, I did the setup of my avatar, but I never actually entered in Horizon Worlds, after after so many months after the initial opening. Sorry Zuck.

Forget it Jake, it's Squeakertown.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

19: There is a profanity filter coming for underdogs (might already be in, i haven't put it on my head in a minute)

20: to be fair, it doesn't groom your children, it just teaches them to be insanely racist.

19: ah good

20: well that's good to know.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I use DeoVR for viewing downloaded 8K videos. It's a pretty awesome free player and even if a lot of the streaming stuff is questionable or requires their paid service.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Von Linus posted:

And oval office.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Oh he's allowed say that.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Von Linus posted:

19: ah good

20: well that's good to know.

The adult filter for Underdogs was just added last week.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of Zuck...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6EalqUrLa3/?utm_source=ig_embed
"zuck 42m
Some updates on the metaverse. Today we're opening up Meta Horizon OS -- our operating system powering Quest -- so others can design more headsets in our ecosystem. Lenovo, Microsoft, and ASUS are some of our first partners, with more coming too. Looking forward to a new wave of headsets focused on productivity, entertainment, gaming, exercise, and more!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of Zuck...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6EalqUrLa3/?utm_source=ig_embed
"zuck 42m
Some updates on the metaverse. Today we're opening up Meta Horizon OS -- our operating system powering Quest -- so others can design more headsets in our ecosystem. Lenovo, Microsoft, and ASUS are some of our first partners, with more coming too. Looking forward to a new wave of headsets focused on productivity, entertainment, gaming, exercise, and more!"

Translation; The Meta brand is loving poison commercially, and the rebrand didn't hide Facebook well enough, so now we're desperate enough to let others play in our walled garden just to see if other brands will obfuscate ours and get us into professional spaces.