Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i mean, it's just android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The time has finally come: Meta is closing down App Lab

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/a-more-open-ecosystem-for-developers/

in order to fold it into the store itself, so there's now one route for submissions and everyone can go straight to the main store

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al! posted:

i mean, it's just android

Meta's endgame's always been their own contained, and harvestable, ecosystem across all platforms in Horizon. That and they REALLY want it to be Internet Version 2, with people doing games/work/meetings/shopping/everything in Horizon.

But nobody's buying in. Nobody's going to buy in. And that puts their whole project dead in the water. Opening up the platform is a tacit acknowledgement of that failure.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Meta's endgame's always been their own contained, and harvestable, ecosystem across all platforms in Horizon. That and they REALLY want it to be Internet Version 2, with people doing games/work/meetings/shopping/everything in Horizon.

But nobody's buying in. Nobody's going to buy in. And that puts their whole project dead in the water. Opening up the platform is a tacit acknowledgement of that failure.

see this is where ive always been with the technology. if they can figure out how to make it a competitive gaming console (the only reason you can get most normal people to strap something to their heads just to try it) maybe then they can move on to the other stuff, but they havent even done that yet. maybe training in a specialized field or with specialized equipment.

ive yet to see an example where vr could make someone more productive at work than a standard desktop and multimonitor setup

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

The time has finally come: Meta is closing down App Lab

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/a-more-open-ecosystem-for-developers/

in order to fold it into the store itself, so there's now one route for submissions and everyone can go straight to the main store

Ohh, together the other announcement, big news today!

(also, I was tempted to quote only the first sentence to make it bait worthy :P)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Idk Meta has put a lot of dev work into the quest software, doing a shitload of genuine advancement on things like tracking, etc. It's not the craziest idea that they've decided to open it up to third parties who want to make headsets but don't want to roll the software from scratch.

E: it's "just" android but more importantly it's android on an available snapdragon chip with well known and well documented reference designs.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I imagine it's equal parts motivation from their whole-hog descent into AI, the poor direction they went with VR went over the last few years, and a need to bolster their image in a time where Google is fading and Microsoft is clawing back to the top of the top. So a fresh injection of life for a huge part of their company that's being 2nd-placed seems like a good idea despite a lessening of Apple-style hard gardening.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Von Linus posted:

I imagine everyone has been breathlessly waiting for my vr updates:

1: I was playing Audio Trip for 43 minutes on Beginner level, and my fitbit said I burned 358 calories. I cycled to work this morning, it took 43 minutes for 7 miles (lots of stop lights) and it sad I burned 350 calories. the mind boggles. I suppose the audio trip is more all over exercise. I was amazed Bangarang was on it. I dunno, it just feels so dated.

Pick up synth riders if you want a non beat saber game to play that can work you out, is fun, and has decent music.

Audio trip is trash. Always has been always will be.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

EbolaIvory posted:

Pick up synth riders if you want a non beat saber game to play that can work you out, is fun, and has decent music.

Seconded.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EbolaIvory posted:

Audio trip is trash. Always has been always will be.

I had to give up on Audio Trip specifically because of the Quest 3's dismal controller tracking plus a forced level with "even more precise targeting" as a challenge lol.

Synth Riders is one of the best rhythm games on the platform for sure and allows you to easily import custom tracks without jumping through any hardware-level hoops

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had to give up on Audio Trip specifically because of the Quest 3's dismal controller tracking plus a forced level with "even more precise targeting" as a challenge lol.

Synth Riders is one of the best rhythm games on the platform for sure and allows you to easily import custom tracks without jumping through any hardware-level hoops

Audio trip suffers from a lot of BS the devs just didn't listen to players about as well. It was a poo poo show when it was rave runners or whatever, its a poo poo show now.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Any recommended mappers or curators for Synth Riders custom tracks? Synthwave isn't really my genre so I don't love the built-in stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thoom posted:

Any recommended mappers or curators for Synth Riders custom tracks? Synthwave isn't really my genre so I don't love the built-in stuff.

I just go here and sort by most downloaded and work my way down grabbing stuff that interests me, personally.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Teebo is a fave of mine, I'll have to check to see if any other names stand out in my custom playlist.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had to give up on Audio Trip specifically because of the Quest 3's dismal controller tracking

The Q3 has bad controller tracking? Haven't noticed this at all

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

AndrewP posted:

The Q3 has bad controller tracking? Haven't noticed this at all

It's not as good as 2, I think. The light bar over the 2'a controller really helped with tracking. Question 3 seems to lose it in the peripherals. I really can't play Beat Saber on it unless I'm in great lighting

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have heard that as well. Like the rings on the Q2 controllers, while bulbous, do actually provide better tracking due to not being blocked as much as the ones on the Q3 controllers.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Von Linus posted:

22: Meta Horizon Worlds: I went to a virtual comedy club and it was bad then I went to a virtual haunted high school with 2 children playing and I left. It seems like a waste of time.

Just stick to VRChat plus a group like Ancients of VRChat (18+ members only) if you want to do VR social stuff.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

In a weird way VRChat is a lot like the old internet, it’s private and scattered enough that you need to hunt to find what’s good and then make friends with small crowds

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

explosivo posted:

I have heard that as well. Like the rings on the Q2 controllers, while bulbous, do actually provide better tracking due to not being blocked as much as the ones on the Q3 controllers.

I've noticed this with mini golf a lot, holding the controller pointing down doesn't give the headset much of a view without the ring.
I also kind of miss hooking the ring with my pinkie when I need to use my hand for something, so the controller doesn't just swing around.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Let's be real, the Quest ecosystem is the largest VR market by far. Meta seems to have also given up on making any new premium headsets. If this results in a 3rd party making something as well made as the Rift CV1 or the Valve Index, but within the Quest ecosystem, that would be pretty great overall.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Anyone ever have an issue where the quest link app thinks your quest 3 is a Rift?

Edit: also anyone have any recommendations for a better face pad?

d0grent fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 22, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Right now we've got Quest for Android and Steam/Rift for Windows, and given that everyone else has given up it's probably best that we stick with those for now and worry about a more diverse ecosystem when people are actually buying more games and headsets.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

diversifying your hardware seems, to me, to be problematic when devs are already saying theyre having a hard time justifying development for the vr platform. now youre adding a bunch of new configurations for them to have to support? at least on pc theres the openxr and openvr api standards

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Al! posted:

diversifying your hardware seems, to me, to be problematic when devs are already saying theyre having a hard time justifying development for the vr platform. now youre adding a bunch of new configurations for them to have to support? at least on pc theres the openxr and openvr api standards

I would not complain if more headsets were sold

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Al! posted:

I won't be surprised if all these other manufacturer's headsets have basically identical hardware to the quest 3 and quest 3 lite and they only differentiate on overall headset design

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least they faced reality, it only took 10 years!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

TIP posted:

I won't be surprised if all these other manufacturer's headsets have basically identical hardware to the quest 3 and quest 3 lite and they only differentiate on overall headset design

Yeah, there's a shitload of tradeoffs in headset design and I'm sure there's room in the market for different configurations with essentially the same low-level design underneath it all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the asus one is for sure going to fill the niche of having RGB esports lighting all over it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

I never had a problem with the rings, personally. Except when I smacked a wall with one playing Gorn

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I hope licensing out the Quest ecosystem is part of some behind closed doors quid pro quo with Google to bring over full fat Android (Boz has said they’ve been trying to do so, but Google wanted too much in return).

Otherwise this sounds an awful lot like PR speak for “the VR pivot failed”.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just curious but is the install for new software incredibly slow in the quest 2 for anyone else?

I've been downloading walkabout golf (5gb) for about 4 hours now. It's connected to wifi, it's just taking forever to download and install.

Just wondering if it's me or something weird with them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just curious but is the install for new software incredibly slow in the quest 2 for anyone else?

I've been downloading walkabout golf (5gb) for about 4 hours now. It's connected to wifi, it's just taking forever to download and install.

Just wondering if it's me or something weird with them.

That doesn't seem normal,no. Reboot it. And the router just in case.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 23, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I said it the past year. After three years with a headset, I think VR will be a niche. Once the hardware*/software platform improves it will be a bigger niche, mind you, but I don't think it will ever be something mainstream. Few people are interested in TOTAL IMMERSION. I think it's more something that 1 in 15 will dig.
They wasted billions and billions on research/whoknowswhat that they will never recoup.

The initial wow effect of VR disappears after some months. It happened to me. And even with that initial 'wow effect', lots of people are not interested, I showed it to the family once, and yeah no one was interested in buying one.

*Comfort imo is still a big issue. 500 grams on your face is too much.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I did that tiny hands one. loving shite, that was. But I enjoyed the game anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://gizmodo.com/apple-vision-pro-already-forgotten-about-1851426564

Not that Apple is dong better!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Its going to be ok. VR is fun, cool even.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like how this article says it's considered a failure that some stores are only selling a couple $3,000 VR headsets per week. Like I'm sure they aren't moving as many as they thought they might but it's not like something that people will be clamoring into a store to buy regularly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PSA: I requested a refund for Umurangi Generation. It seemed kinda buggy, and it used retroprojection, despite having primitive graphics (even more primitive than the already primitive graphics of the pc version lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

Its going to be ok. VR is fun, cool even.

yeah good luck to anyone who wants to turn vr into more than what the tech can handle at this point but as an entertainment console the tech is more or less there and it makes a great case for itself as doing something other consoles cant