Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I said it the past year. After three years with a headset, I think VR will be a niche. Once the hardware*/software platform improves it will be a bigger niche, mind you, but I don't think it will ever be something mainstream. Few people are interested in TOTAL IMMERSION. I think it's more something that 1 in 15 will dig.
They wasted billions and billions on research/whoknowswhat that they will never recoup.

The initial wow effect of VR disappears after some months. It happened to me. And even with that initial 'wow effect', lots of people are not interested, I showed it to the family once, and yeah no one was interested in buying one.

*Comfort imo is still a big issue. 500 grams on your face is too much.

This is how people talked about video games too when we were kids lol. VR is gonna just keep getting bigger and it'll be completely normalized for the next generation, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lemming posted:

This is how people talked about video games too when we were kids lol. VR is gonna just keep getting bigger and it'll be completely normalized for the next generation, imo

i often think that those squeeling little kids wont be little kids for much longer and they will have grown up with the technlogy, just like millenials were with computer games

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I watched a bit of some Eli Roth show on Meta TV and it was kind of jarring to watch a show in 3D.

It felt like I was watching a play from on the stage, which seems obvious but combined with only okay acting felt really cheap and weird.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Videogames are pretty low-entry things, and you can share them in a small room on one machine with friends.

VR needs setup, a playspace, it's solitary, and you're dealing with a range of motion-sickness tolerance. It's very much a niche luxury item by comparison to a single Switch and a couple of friends to play Mario Kart.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Videogames are pretty low-entry things, and you can share them in a small room on one machine with friends.

VR needs setup, a playspace, it's solitary, and you're dealing with a range of motion-sickness tolerance. It's very much a niche luxury item by comparison to a single Switch and a couple of friends to play Mario Kart.

A Quest 2 is literally cheaper than a switch

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
For many of us, VR is something that's been just around the corner for years (decades, even) and it's cool that it actually exists as a thing. But for the huge swaths of kids especially in the social spaces right now, putting on a headset and socializing or playing a game is just a thing people do, and headsets have always existed. Where it goes is gonna belong to them, not us.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

if I was Meta or Apple I would spend most of my efforts on trying to make these things weigh less

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

A Quest 2 is literally cheaper than a switch

Sharing a headset is a bit more intimate than a Switch or a controller, and in person VR is isolating.

I'm sure VR will continue to grow but as time passes VR is still a thing I have to get prepped for, where my phone or computer is just...right there waiting for me to sit down at it and do whatever with very little friction. It's cool, but we're spoiled for choice entertainment-wise and I'm not sure what makes VR cool is enough to keep it growing in the public sphere unless there is something truly VR only that swings it. Apple hasn't found it yet, Meta/Facebook hasn't, Valve hasn't. Valve did find out that a portable gaming PC is a thing people want though!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Sharing a headset is a bit more intimate than a Switch or a controller, and in person VR is isolating.

I'm sure VR will continue to grow but as time passes VR is still a thing I have to get prepped for, where my phone or computer is just...right there waiting for me to sit down at it and do whatever with very little friction. It's cool, but we're spoiled for choice entertainment-wise and I'm not sure what makes VR cool is enough to keep it growing in the public sphere unless there is something truly VR only that swings it. Apple hasn't found it yet, Meta/Facebook hasn't, Valve hasn't. Valve did find out that a portable gaming PC is a thing people want though!

In person VR is isolating, but it allows you to feel like you're in the same room as your friends without needing to travel to where they are in real life. This is something that is only enabled by VR, and nothing else. People keep focusing on the in person stuff as if local multiplayer is already all but dead because it's harder and harder all the time to actually meet up and be with people in real life. This applies to kids as well - even when we were younger (assuming most people here are 30ish or older like I am), there was space for us to bike to our friends' houses or whatever, and that's getting harder and harder now (illegal for kids in lots of places).

Look at the most popular VR games now - social, most popular with the younger population. We're more likely to get on our phones or discord or video game consoles or whatever because it's what we grew up with and what we're used to, just like how the previous generation didn't get video games because they didn't grow up with it like we did.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

PSA: I requested a refund for Umurangi Generation. It seemed kinda buggy, and it used retroprojection, despite having primitive graphics (even more primitive than the already primitive graphics of the pc version lol).

drat that sucks to hear, I was really looking forward to the vr version of this :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lemming posted:

In person VR is isolating, but it allows you to feel like you're in the same room as your friends without needing to travel to where they are in real life. This is something that is only enabled by VR, and nothing else. People keep focusing on the in person stuff as if local multiplayer is already all but dead because it's harder and harder all the time to actually meet up and be with people in real life. This applies to kids as well - even when we were younger (assuming most people here are 30ish or older like I am), there was space for us to bike to our friends' houses or whatever, and that's getting harder and harder now (illegal for kids in lots of places).

Look at the most popular VR games now - social, most popular with the younger population. We're more likely to get on our phones or discord or video game consoles or whatever because it's what we grew up with and what we're used to, just like how the previous generation didn't get video games because they didn't grow up with it like we did.

Sure yeah, but you still have to strap something to your face and adjust it. Outside of everything else, that is a huge issue. You're correct about the socializing thing but I'd bet that ~kids today~ will just equate hanging out in a discord or whatever with each other as the equivalent of riding their bike to a friend's house. It goes both ways, and it's a lot more open since everyone can discord, not everyone can VR no matter how cheap it gets.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Sure yeah, but you still have to strap something to your face and adjust it. Outside of everything else, that is a huge issue. You're correct about the socializing thing but I'd bet that ~kids today~ will just equate hanging out in a discord or whatever with each other as the equivalent of riding their bike to a friend's house. It goes both ways, and it's a lot more open since everyone can discord, not everyone can VR no matter how cheap it gets.

It's not the same, though, because typing into a screen is not the same as meeting up with someone in real life. The difference is that VR approximates that real life interaction better than any other technology by far, that's how it's fundamentally different. Yeah you have to strap something to your face, but that's more convenient compared to needing to travel to meet up with someone. Despite the inconveniences, that's where the value is, and that's only going to get better as the technology and comfort improves.

VR is going to have a future not because it's the next fad thing or whatever, it's the concrete value you can get out of it that you can't get with anything else. The point about the next generation isn't that it's a kid-specific technology, it's that the next generation hasn't settled into their routines already. They're open to those new things, and it'll just be normal for them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

KakerMix posted:

I don't know, it looks to me like the more things change, the more they stay the same.

It used to be IRC (and later, chat rooms, it's now Discord) and people would spent tons of time just hanging out in chat -- basically equated with going out to see your friends -- but there was friction and not everyone could do that because not everyone had a computer/a modem/internet access. poo poo, on top of that you used to have to buy the hardware (in a store!), configure it, have a dialup account somewhere, etc. This was before online ordering and none of that poo poo 'just worked', there was a lot of friction even just to get to a persistent text chat. The hardware was personal computers and power-up was personal internet access, then the hardware was mobile phones and the power-up was wireless always-on internet access.

Now it's VR and the friction now manifests as headsets and the jank that comes with em. Maybe people will really never want to strap something onto their face and head, maybe that's asking too much. Maybe dooming it to being a niche forever. But I suspect that someone will release the accessible thing that "just works" and then it'll be a new user flood that ruins the landscape, priming the cycle to begin anew.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lemming posted:

It's not the same, though, because typing into a screen is not the same as meeting up with someone in real life. The difference is that VR approximates that real life interaction better than any other technology by far, that's how it's fundamentally different. Yeah you have to strap something to your face, but that's more convenient compared to needing to travel to meet up with someone. Despite the inconveniences, that's where the value is, and that's only going to get better as the technology and comfort improves.

VR is going to have a future not because it's the next fad thing or whatever, it's the concrete value you can get out of it that you can't get with anything else. The point about the next generation isn't that it's a kid-specific technology, it's that the next generation hasn't settled into their routines already. They're open to those new things, and it'll just be normal for them.

We'll see how it plays out because yeah of course I agree with you, but you and I are used to social interactions in a 3D space. I don't know what it says about society or how we all function, but I don't see it as being some deep need that kids will seek out, or that their parents will find important to instill. Maybe they aren't settled into their routines, but headsets are expensive and closed and exclusive.
Socialization is VR's whole thing and it is unparalleled for that, I don't don't know if that alone is a killer app for it. If it is, the headsets are too expensive or too lovely or the gardens are too walled or whatever else since we should be seeing the fruits of that already.

I hope I'm wrong, but dang even buying a headset at all is a huge ask now. You already have a phone, you maybe already have a PC, a VR headset is a luxury.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my boomer rear end dad who struggled his way around an nes controller is who ultimately convinced me to get into vr seriously, its ultimately i think easier to understand than controlling a character on screen when to make vr go you use your physical hands to interact with things. l

the man wore glasses his entire life so asking him to put on the helmet was nbd to him, i think vr users tend to overplay the physical discomfort esp if youre just showing something to someone for 30 mins or so

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I think people put too much pressure on VR to be an equivalent or superior when its simply an alternative medium that by its very physicalized nature will not ever replace normal flat screen computing tasks or gaming, especially given the accessibility limitations. Thats why I think poo poo like "spatial computing" is dumb and a waste of resources and focus. Games and social experiences are VRs mainstay and they always will be.

And then theres limitations involving stuff like I had to take an entire week break from VR because I hosed my shoulder up going too hard in Underdogs. This kind of poo poo rarely exists in normal gaming and even then its only after high repetive stress on fingers/wrists/hands. When happens when you have a leg injury? Back injury? Paralyzed people can find ways to game on flat for instance.

Plus, VR as a medium has its own unique markets like the IRL group VR experiences like Sandbox VR. I have friends who dont own headsets but have done Sandbox 10+ times. They probably spent just as much on doing those as they would have a Quest 2.

VR isnt THE future, its A future.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I surprised myself with my own progress with Paradiddle last night. I hopped in to Little Monster by Royal Blood and just loving killed it on Hard. Plus two other songs that usually stop me in my tracks.

I've also noticed my stamina has gone up, and I'm slightly more in control over my non-dominant hand.

Neat!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think there's still plenty to criticize VR for especially in its current state, but 'expensive' seems odd at this point. The Quest 3 is less than the price of a Playstation / Xbox, the Quest 2 cheaper than practically any game console. Yeah it's not free, but that's not exactly unattainably expensive for most households either.

Al! posted:

my boomer rear end dad who struggled his way around an nes controller is who ultimately convinced me to get into vr seriously, its ultimately i think easier to understand than controlling a character on screen when to make vr go you use your physical hands to interact with things.

This is huge and something I think a lot of us that grew up with controllers don't immediately think about. I do VR dev for artists doing small exhibitions and as soon as hand tracking started to get decent, every one has flipped to that and not looked back. You get a huge range of age groups trying this stuff out in an exhibition space and controllers are just like handing a rubix cube to a lot of people. Even VR controllers that mimick hand motion totally befuddle a lot of people. Hand tracking, though, just instantly clicks.

VR, in both its presence and the way you interact visually and with your hands is just so much closer to natural human movements -- closer to real life -- than any other game console that I think it's slightly misleading for that to be the standard point of comparison. I actually think coming from the legacy of gaming is holding a lot of what VR should be back; both for gamers looking at VR games trying to be 2D games and going 'well I could as well play this on a screen with half the hassle', and in non-gamers looking at something with 16 button combos you have to memorize and immediately noping out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Homeworld VR game will also release on Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2949240/Homeworld_Vast_Reaches/

Fro my part, I noticed yesterday that my Quest 2 right thumbstick is a bit broken, sometimes then gently touching it (not pushing it into any particular direction!) is interpreted as pushing it up all the way, and getting stuck there. I hadn't noticed before because the last two games I played didn't use that thumbstick.
Kinda sucks how cheap it is, because it isn't like I have been using it every day for the last three years, not even every week.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Speaking personally about VR, my aged mother (nearly 80) started getting into it during Covid when she was separated from us but wanted to interact. I think it does fulfil a need for people to connect who can't, but most people can. it's for the people who aren't near their friends, like replacing penpals with VR friends I guess. Or online friends, possibly I've aged out of actually connecting too much with people I don't know in real life. But not for people who are in contact with each other regularly. Unless as an optional game, but then, there are much better games to share a living space with.

Anyway It turned out I did have Synth Riders, so I tried that and it's good. I put on the mixed reality setting to check it out and it's cool how it tears a hole in the room.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
If you ever join any sort of Vrchat community you'll soon discover there are tens of thousands of people dating through VR. Old 30 something nerds, teens having their first relationship be entirely long distance, doesn't matter. They hang out together, make themselves avatars, even go on dates through VR. Sometimes they live together IRL too, and they each have a headset and hop on VR together to do whatever. Pretty much every single popular hang out spot within VRchat has at least one ad advertising some VR-oriented dating service too, of which there are several. That kind of thing is only going to become more common, and mundane, as the years go by.

At this point, VR has a little society of its own. You might not be part of it or even aware it exists, but it's definitely there and will be for the foreseeable future. It doesn't matter if your uncle doesn't buy a headset after you show VR to him because there are people who already have a life of sorts within VR and they are going nowhere. How could they, when they need VR to truly hang out with their loved ones?

Luckily for the companies behind VR, this demographic also happens to have a bunch of money because it is all geeky people the kind that often have money to throw around on weird stuff. Just the furries alone could probably keep VR ticking for like a decade.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another pc game coming to Quest
https://www.meta.com/es-es/experiences/4654132264691719/?ref=uploadvr.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2r5c8qLdGs

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Coming hot from playing Humanity, I bought Kartoffl, because you know, it was only 5€ on the sale. Alas, I wish it was better. After a handful of tutorial like levels I reached one where I had to put a bunch of jumping platforms on the air, and I noticed an annoying flaw of the game: if you do something wrong and have to restart, the level resets entirely, cleaning everything, instead of letting your piece stay where you put it, which you know, it would be the normal thing as sometimes you only have to slightly readjust the position or a piece or two. So you have to remember where you put everything in the 3d space, sometimes without no guidance. It bothers me that the devs didn't notice something this obvious.

I also have been playing Lucky's Tale, and I can only say it's a 6/10 3d platformer that in the day got higher scores because you know, VR ecosystem with limited choice. The controls, movement, variety and polish are not up to the task, in comparison of what a good 3d platformer can be (Nintendo, etc).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
"VR is isolating" is the kind of thing that's blind to all the Kids These Days stuck in suburban hellscapes where even walking to the corner store takes six hours.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think it was mentioned here but that Bradley weeb said the Valve Index is discontinued now, they shut down the manufacturing. Not sure if that extends to the knuckles controllers.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
I have to say, after a few months with the Quest 2 my experience with VR has basically been that I paid $200 to be able to play mini-golf.

I'm not entirely dissatisfied with this. I can only imagine how nice it would have been in a 2020 lockdown-in-an-apartment situation.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Black August posted:

In a weird way VRChat is a lot like the old internet, it’s private and scattered enough that you need to hunt to find what’s good and then make friends with small crowds

It's definitely evolved into something where two people can have entirely different experiences based on who they know and who they hang around. The way a lot of the social groups interact with each other also reminds me of the old days of web rings, where a bunch of similar social groups all share members and network together to introduce new people to all their other groups. Kinda prevalent in the VR club scene, as until you have friends in that scene, you would be forgiven for not even knowing it existed at all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PatentPending posted:

I have to say, after a few months with the Quest 2 my experience with VR has basically been that I paid $200 to be able to play mini-golf.

I'm not entirely dissatisfied with this. I can only imagine how nice it would have been in a 2020 lockdown-in-an-apartment situation.

I got my index like right at the start of the pandemic and it was so great. Went to some live Reggie Watts shows, played golf, Demeo scratched the tabletop itch…the timing was flawless.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

I don't think it was mentioned here but that Bradley weeb said the Valve Index is discontinued now, they shut down the manufacturing. Not sure if that extends to the knuckles controllers.

Knuckles would be shut down same as headset production I believe. Lighthouses were spun off to HTC years ago, so they're not going anywhere, but the Index is EOL at this point. To be fair, the headset, while serviceable, has serious SDE, chromatic aberration, and god ray issues. The Quest 2 is a marked improvement in visual fidelity over the Index, and the Quest 3 is literal light-years better. The only thing I don't like about the Quest is how imprecise the tracking is for fine movement, it's always a bit jittery and you have a limited field of view for tracking, especially so with the Quest 3 having basically zero tracking and relying on an AI algorithm if you lift the controllers over your head.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

PatentPending posted:

Doom and Doom 2 in VR are a lot of fun, if you are OK with using SideQuest.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

For many of us, VR is something that's been just around the corner for years (decades, even) and it's cool that it actually exists as a thing. But for the huge swaths of kids especially in the social spaces right now, putting on a headset and socializing or playing a game is just a thing people do, and headsets have always existed. Where it goes is gonna belong to them, not us.

Wait, where is this "huge swath" of kids that own VR/AR headsets right now? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Wait, where is this "huge swath" of kids that own VR/AR headsets right now? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

I mean you certainly see a huge swarm of kids in a lot of VR spaces

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Super Jay Mann posted:

Yeah its turning into this generations babysitter for some parents.

Schools are slowly picking up on VR as well, which ends up shoving it into some of these kids faces when they wouldn't have otherwise messed with it. Plus its like 200 bucks for a quest 2. Bar for entry is loooooowwwww

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah I social VR spaces being full of children is what I mean.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

orange juche posted:

Knuckles would be shut down same as headset production I believe. Lighthouses were spun off to HTC years ago, so they're not going anywhere, but the Index is EOL at this point. To be fair, the headset, while serviceable, has serious SDE, chromatic aberration, and god ray issues. The Quest 2 is a marked improvement in visual fidelity over the Index, and the Quest 3 is literal light-years better. The only thing I don't like about the Quest is how imprecise the tracking is for fine movement, it's always a bit jittery and you have a limited field of view for tracking, especially so with the Quest 3 having basically zero tracking and relying on an AI algorithm if you lift the controllers over your head.

Well, Quest Pro controllers solve that. If they could not be dicks for one minute and let the Pro controllers work over Bluetooth for non-Quest headsets, no one would ever need to make another controller again.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Does bluetooth have enough bandwidth for Quest Pro controllers to work? I got the impression the reason they use wifi direct is that they need to send a shitload of point cloud data to the headset and then compare that with the headset's own point cloud pretty regularly, if not in real time, to sync the coordinate spaces so they don't drift.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

AndrewP posted:

if I was Meta or Apple I would spend most of my efforts on trying to make these things weigh less

You madman

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

God I have extremely weak motion sensitivity still... Doin the underdogs tutorial and a couple of strafes and I had to lie down.

Is there a consumer version of that military anti vertigo stimulator lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Super Jay Mann posted:

https://venturebeat.com/games/how-gorilla-tag-made-it-big-on-the-quests-not-store/

In Gorilla Tag we had 2.3 million monthly active users the Christmas before last, and you can imagine the number is probably higher now, and Gorilla Tag is just a piece of the ecosystem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

God I have extremely weak motion sensitivity still... Doin the underdogs tutorial and a couple of strafes and I had to lie down.

Is there a consumer version of that military anti vertigo stimulator lol

You got a fan blowing air in your direction?