Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Det_no posted:

You got a fan blowing air in your direction?

Yeah, I learned that trick early lol. It helps with games that have constant forward motion like Synth Riders or Pistol Whip.

But Underdogs asked me to turn my body around irl while also strafing with the controls and uh... my inner ear did not like that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Only one game ever made me motion sick and that was gorilla tag. Underdogs felt down right pleasant in comparison.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Whelp, I just spent over an hour straight doing laundry, cleaning toilets, and picking up trash - in VR. For fun.
I guess I can mark Arcade Paradise VR down in the same “shouldn’t be entertaining but ends up super addicting” column as PowerWash Simulator VR. The arcade games in it so far are more fun than they have any right to be, too (though they’re really making me with the Quest 3 controllers had D-pads).

Here’s a referral code if anyone else wants to check it out - it’s already feeling like it might be my new obsession… https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/johnnysmitch/5968301983261530/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=3&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Anybody else pick up Contractors Showdown? It turns out that this is NOT a game you can pug! You basically have to have a team of 3 if you don't want to end up by yourself against full teams on coms within minutes

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Anybody else pick up Contractors Showdown? It turns out that this is NOT a game you can pug! You basically have to have a team of 3 if you don't want to end up by yourself against full teams on coms within minutes

Yeah I snagged it. I've played about 5 games and my teammates have been pretty cooperative. I did try just soloing and that did not work out well. I like it better than Population 1 even though I had to pay for it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JohnnySmitch posted:

Whelp, I just spent over an hour straight doing laundry, cleaning toilets, and picking up trash - in VR. For fun.
I guess I can mark Arcade Paradise VR down in the same “shouldn’t be entertaining but ends up super addicting” column as PowerWash Simulator VR. The arcade games in it so far are more fun than they have any right to be, too (though they’re really making me with the Quest 3 controllers had D-pads).

Here’s a referral code if anyone else wants to check it out - it’s already feeling like it might be my new obsession… https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/johnnysmitch/5968301983261530/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=3&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

Oh poo poo I didn't know this was coming out with a VR version. Game's definitely surprisingly hard to put down.

Edit: Hmm, are all the arcade games vr minigames like a shooting range? Part of the charm of the original game was the arcade games and it'd be a bummer if they didn't have those.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 26, 2024

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know this was coming out with a VR version. Game's definitely surprisingly hard to put down.

Edit: Hmm, are all the arcade games vr minigames like a shooting range? Part of the charm of the original game was the arcade games and it'd be a bummer if they didn't have those.

Nope it’s got the normal arcade games - they just added some “VR Enhanced” games too.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Showdown is super fun. I managed to get 2nd on a solo. The length of the matches and the size of the map are great.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Are the Quest 3 Pro controllers significantly better at tracking than the standard ones? I just upgraded to a 3 and after a week of beat saber and getting used to the new controllers, have concluded the tracking is significantly worse than the 2. I like the 3 a lot better and am down to drop $300 to fix the issue, but want to make sure it does.

If not I might just go back to the 2 for beat saber.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As I understand it, the Quest Pro controllers track as well as the headset itself, because they’re basically sporting the same self-tracking features. Battery life isn’t nearly as good though.

What’s the current state of the art with VR injection for Unity? I know there’s the UE injector which apparently works great for UE games, but I tried the raipal UUVR injector for a Unity game or two and couldn’t make it do anything. Are we just not there yet, or am I missing something?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAO6QKmlAxE
"This brand-new single-player, action-horror VR game features an original story that fully surrounds players within the terrors of the Alien universe. Designed by Alien fans for Alien fans, Survios brings their expertise to crafting this technically advanced, and frightfully immersive Alien virtual reality game."

Not a lot of info for now...

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAO6QKmlAxE

Man I hope this turns out cool, the little I played of the Alien Isolation VR mod scared the piss out of me.

This also specifically says "Meta Quest 3" as the platform, cool to see a big IP game take advantage of that.

Edit: lol beat me to it

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Pro controller battery life only matters if you're spending 6+ hours at a time in VR. Otherwise you can just leave them on the charging dock when you're not using them and literally never think about it. They are noticeably heavier than the Q3 controllers, though, and can have their own tracking foibles. One especially annoying thing about them is that because they use a built in rechargeable battery, there is no battery door, which means third party grips are all awkward rubber skins that wrap the entire controller and (subjectively) feel terrible.

I would only suggest buying them from a place with a solid return policy in case you hate them.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Bad Munki posted:

As I understand it, the Quest Pro controllers track as well as the headset itself, because they’re basically sporting the same self-tracking features. Battery life isn’t nearly as good though.

What’s the current state of the art with VR injection for Unity? I know there’s the UE injector which apparently works great for UE games, but I tried the raipal UUVR injector for a Unity game or two and couldn’t make it do anything. Are we just not there yet, or am I missing something?

Thoom posted:

Pro controller battery life only matters if you're spending 6+ hours at a time in VR. Otherwise you can just leave them on the charging dock when you're not using them and literally never think about it. They are noticeably heavier than the Q3 controllers, though, and can have their own tracking foibles. One especially annoying thing about them is that because they use a built in rechargeable battery, there is no battery door, which means third party grips are all awkward rubber skins that wrap the entire controller and (subjectively) feel terrible.

I would only suggest buying them from a place with a solid return policy in case you hate them.

Ah that's a bummer. I guess I'll just play beat saber on my 2. At the harder difficulties it's been unplayable on the 3, unless I do everything in a really weird posture where my controllers never leave LoS, and even then it's finicky.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

For what it's worth the Pro controllers last about 11-12 hours for me on a full charge. They last as long as two 20,000mah packs can keep my headset alive.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

vaginite posted:

Are the Quest 3 Pro controllers significantly better at tracking than the standard ones? I just upgraded to a 3 and after a week of beat saber and getting used to the new controllers, have concluded the tracking is significantly worse than the 2. I like the 3 a lot better and am down to drop $300 to fix the issue, but want to make sure it does.

If not I might just go back to the 2 for beat saber.

I have them, they're much better, but they're not at all $300 better. I got them in the first place because I got a Q2 on eBay for like $80 a year ago because it had no controllers or strap.

If leaderboards are that important, or if you just rage at the controllers when you whiff a table tennis serve, then yeah whatever.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

anything less than a 25% discount is no discount at all

if you ask in here you should be able to get a referral for 25% off any game (and $5 to the referrer)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TIP posted:

anything less than a 25% discount is no discount at all

if you ask in here you should be able to get a referral for 25% off any game (and $5 to the referrer)

Well, someone has to actually own the game to give a referral, so it won't work for deep cuts.

I got Underdogs though: https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/zerovgs/5302178529865980/

I'm also still doing that thing where if you do the $30 referral on a new device with me, I'll gift you the Virtual Desktop app: https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/zerovgs/

I just hooked up someone in another thread like a week ago.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 28, 2024

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero VGS posted:

Well, someone has to actually own the game to give a referral, so it won't work for deep cuts.

I'm not sure what deep cuts are worth getting, but you can always google for a referral

I think the only restriction is the game has to be more than $10

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Zero VGS posted:

I got Underdogs though: https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/zerovgs/5302178529865980/

I'm also still doing that thing where if you do the $30 referral on a new device with me, I'll gift you the Virtual Desktop app: https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/zerovgs/

I just hooked up someone in another thread like a week ago.

Thanks Zero! I hope I don't punch any of my walls, the demo was way fun

Have a code
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals...um=app_referral

I got a Contractors Showdown code
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals...um=app_referral

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone had virtual desktop poo poo itself after an update? It's telling me I don't have a PC running the streaming app when I in fact do and am looking at it.

My name's correct and everything.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone had virtual desktop poo poo itself after an update? It's telling me I don't have a PC running the streaming app when I in fact do and am looking at it.

My name's correct and everything.

When that happens I usually just have to restart Virtual Desktop, the streamer app, or both. The steamer app can be found in the system tray menu.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I've been loving contractors showdown!

I have played about 10 matches and have yet to be teamed up with a child which is a miracle, and everyone I've played with seems to be pretty nice.
End of rounds are definitely giving that near launch PUBG adrenaline rush, it's great.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EA WRC now has VR support in beta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_s8OY3BkY

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

vaginite posted:

Ah that's a bummer. I guess I'll just play beat saber on my 2. At the harder difficulties it's been unplayable on the 3, unless I do everything in a really weird posture where my controllers never leave LoS, and even then it's finicky.

I've struggled for 3 or so months of trying to make Beat Saber work on the q3 with both the Pro Controllers and the standard ones, and i've finally got it in the spot where it's better than the previous headsets/controllers i've used. It's partially due to software/firmware updates, but also, i've come to accept that you just can't be playing standalone Beat Saber. It's basically link to a powerful PC or you are hosed.

Aside from that, you are ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to adjust your saber offsets. I was fine playing back in the days of Quest 2 both on standalone and without adjusting offsets, but those days are long gone.

edit: The hardest song i've cleared is about 10.5 stars for reference, so I am no Beat Saber god, but not a straggler either.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 30, 2024

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

I've struggled for 3 or so months of trying to make Beat Saber work on the q3 with both the Pro Controllers and the standard ones, and i've finally got it in the spot where it's better than the previous headsets/controllers i've used. It's partially due to software/firmware updates, but also, i've come to accept that you just can't be playing standalone Beat Saber. It's basically link to a powerful PC or you are hosed.

Aside from that, you are ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to adjust your saber offsets. I was fine playing back in the days of Quest 2 both on standalone and without adjusting offsets, but those days are long gone.

edit: The hardest song i've cleared is about 10.5 stars for reference, so I am no Beat Saber god, but not a straggler either.

10.5 is in the upper 1-5% of players.

You're way loving better than you think you are. I'm a retired professional player and 10-11 stars is basically my cap anymore. You are WAY loving better than you realize.

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post

BabyRyoga posted:

Please can you say how you got beat saber working as well as it can be on quest 3. I have a powerful pc and perfect networking conditions (can stream with virtual desktop at 500mbps) but I still went back to standalone for beat saber as I felt the tracking and latency was best with standalone. What's wrong with standalone that a powerful pc fixes?

Thanks!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Where do you see these star-based difficulty ratings? I don't think I've ever noticed them in 60+ hours of playing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Thoom posted:

Where do you see these star-based difficulty ratings? I don't think I've ever noticed them in 60+ hours of playing.

Install scoresaber and poo poo. Its built into the menu when you have it all installed.

Scoresaber + BS plus + Better Song Search

Debuffed posted:

Please can you say how you got beat saber working as well as it can be on quest 3. I have a powerful pc and perfect networking conditions (can stream with virtual desktop at 500mbps) but I still went back to standalone for beat saber as I felt the tracking and latency was best with standalone. What's wrong with standalone that a powerful pc fixes?

Thanks!

Because you wont ever get the latency low enough to play on the high end without loving with the ingame latency and a few other things.

You basically have to tinker until it feels right to you, or just play stand alone.

I personally can't play anything beyond like 6-7 stars on any of my stand alone headsets using steamvr. Even with tinkering and dedicated hardware.

As far as the whole adjust the controller offset thing, thats personal. I adjust nothing on any controller on any headset and have no problems with the actual playing part. Its only when it comes to latency and poo poo it becomes an issue and thats not the controller offset doing it.

I will say though, keep an eye on your floor level. a few mm off can gently caress up the feel real quickly.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

EbolaIvory posted:

Install scoresaber and poo poo. Its built into the menu when you have it all installed.

Scoresaber + BS plus + Better Song Search

That'd explain it. I never installed Scoresaber because I figured leaderboards would only serve to depress me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Thoom posted:

That'd explain it. I never installed Scoresaber because I figured leaderboards would only serve to depress me.

If you're the kind of person who actually cares being "top 10" or some poo poo, lemme ease your brain.

You won't probably ever beat the top 10 scores in ranked maps. The top players are zoomers who may or may not be abusing pain killers and poo poo to get those scores. It was a whole thing a while back. Not saying they all do, but yeah, you aint competing against these kiddos.

Shoot for 4 digits as a total rank and go on from there. I used to be in the top 100 and getting there in 2024 is loving impossible against some of these kids.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EbolaIvory posted:

10.5 is in the upper 1-5% of players.

You're way loving better than you think you are. I'm a retired professional player and 10-11 stars is basically my cap anymore. You are WAY loving better than you realize.

I also acc like crap at my upper limit though. Being able to "pass" a 10.5 with like a 72% isn't very much in a game where the top 2500 or so players on the leaderboards will all have a 90%+ on the same level of song. I had like a 60something on the Rainbow Tylenol no angle map, which is a 10.3 or something, which barely got past 200pp.

Hoping to improve on this a bunch soon, now that I have the Quest 3 situation worked to something usable and have actually started to fix my offsets. I want to start getting 300pp or higher plays on songs near my difficulty limit, instead of grinding out higher pp plays on 7 and 8 star songs. But, overall, I play the game wanting to pass hard stuff rather than rank up high on the leaderboards, I don't think i'll ever be anywhere near the top 1000.

Debuffed posted:

Thanks!

You really need to use a link cable. I haven't tried connecting wirelessly, but i've heard MAYBE it's been getting a little better if you buy the right kind of router dedicated specifically to the purpose of bridging the headset and the PC and use whatever new wireless link feature they added a couple months ago. You can probably find some videos on youtube if you want to go that route, but you'll always get better results with a cable.

Aside from that, make sure the game is running at 120hz. Not 77, not 90, 120. Find a style of gripping the controller that works well. For Quest 3 controllers, it pretty much has to be the standard grip or M grip. Then figure out how to set your offset and you are good to go. On PC, you have mods that can actually do a somewhat decent job of auto figuring it out for you, like easy offset.

As for whats wrong with standalone, for me, Beat Saber is essentially the mods. Without the modded experience, I just can't get into it. Mods are much harder to develop for standalone, and most mod devs don't even want to bother as a result. They get infrequent updates, and the game is unstable. Certain maps aren't playable. Heavily modded maps and maps with sophisticated lighting lag or don't display certain things properly.

The final straw was that they officially stopped supporting version 1.27x (which was already too low, PC was on 1.29x and higher) to move up to 1.35, which nuked half or more of the few mods that actually worked on standalone.

EbolaIvory posted:

If you're the kind of person who actually cares being "top 10" or some poo poo, lemme ease your brain.

You won't probably ever beat the top 10 scores in ranked maps. The top players are zoomers who may or may not be abusing pain killers and poo poo to get those scores. It was a whole thing a while back. Not saying they all do, but yeah, you aint competing against these kiddos.

Shoot for 4 digits as a total rank and go on from there. I used to be in the top 100 and getting there in 2024 is loving impossible against some of these kids.

They are also too young to have greater concerns about stuff like wrist injuries. I think the top player right now is 13 or 14 or something?

I've followed the game for many years now with my on and off playing, and i've noticed the top players at any given time tend be be either completely retired or at least retired from trying to be the top (settling several hundred spots or more down) 6 months or a year later. To name a few, Taichi, Silverhaze, Cerret. I've seen streamers who were popular in the space quit the game entirely.

I see familiar names in the top several hundred and players that have been mapping high level stuff still mapping and scoring pretty high up there, but it seems like actually being at the top in Beat Saber is something you can only keep up for a very limited time. It seems like you can be a relevant player in the top few hundred on a much more permanent basis if you don't overdue it, play responsibly, and don't lose interest.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

They are also too young to have greater concerns about stuff like wrist injuries. I think the top player right now is 13 or 14 or something?

I've followed the game for many years now with my on and off playing, and i've noticed the top players at any given time tend be be either completely retired or at least retired from trying to be the top (settling several hundred spots or more down) 6 months or a year later. To name a few, Taichi, Silverhaze, Cerret. I've seen streamers who were popular in the space quit the game entirely.

Yeah most of us 'boomer saber' people quit or play very little. I straight up destroyed my body doing content poo poo 8 hours a day 5 days a week. And that was the only way I could keep up in the top 100-200 range even back then. Now with the PP levels being so insane at the highest end, catching up and maintaining just isn't possible for normal people.

My upper back is hosed. My elbows are hosed. Grinding rank is just toxic these days.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

But have you grinded rank on a cocktail of amphetamines and morphine? Let’s see some commitment!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Black August posted:

But have you grinded rank on a cocktail of amphetamines and morphine? Let’s see some commitment!

My best scores these days are on Adderall.

I'm doing my part!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah most of us 'boomer saber' people quit or play very little. I straight up destroyed my body doing content poo poo 8 hours a day 5 days a week. And that was the only way I could keep up in the top 100-200 range even back then. Now with the PP levels being so insane at the highest end, catching up and maintaining just isn't possible for normal people.

My upper back is hosed. My elbows are hosed. Grinding rank is just toxic these days.

I've been a reasonably skilled player in the rhythm game space since 1999 or so on games like DDR/IIDX/Pop'n/Sound Voltex, so i've become aware of needing to dial it back to avoid injury. I can't really play a rhythm game seriously for more than 2-3 hours at one time, once per day, with one or two day breaks if I play several days straight. This applies for both Beat Saber and Sound Voltex, which are the ones I still play.

I've been trying to push it a little with Beat Saber because I want to develop arm stamina, but I think my absolute max would still be something like one session in the morning for 90 minutes, and one at night for 90 minutes if there were time to do so.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Has anyone here tried Whitewater Kayak?

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256976973/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1706802556

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2360340/Whitewater_VR_Extreme_Kayaking_Adventure/

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Related, there's a cool stealth kayaking game

https://www.meta.com/en-gb/experiences/2302118823192509/

Infiltrate a flooded missile base abandoned by the Russians and gather intel to prevent something terrible

https://scontent.oculuscdn.com/v/t6...AoQ&oe=66379CA8

full disclosure: I completed the first level then it wiped my progress

ScreenDoorThrillr fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone tried the vr mod for Pacific Drive? Worth the bother? I’ve been enjoying the game and it certainly seems well suited to VR but I haven’t tried any uevr stuff