Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
when i said fighting the good fight i just meant trying to make vr good, im sure the dude is a weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar posted:

This is what Carmack said

quote:

I like hard science fiction stories with a bit of competent libertarian vibe.

Goes without saying, competent libertarians only exist in the realm of fiction lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Goes without saying, competent libertarians only exist in the realm of fiction lol

If you want a "polemic" tweet from Carmack, there was one where he was happy the hardcore libertarian Milei was chosen president in Argentina. He is clearly ignorant of the situation of the country, and all the poo poo Milei has said.
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1742210148842570044

Carmack seems someone hopelessly naive in his ideology, he clearly is just extrapolating his personal life experience and attitude to the entire world, not understanding that he is one of a kind and that most people are not an optimistic well-intentioned nerd.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I hope for Carmack that he eventually reads the room (that's full of nazis) like Penn Jillette did and sever. That would require some degree of "empathy" though so I don't think his brain is capable of doing so.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
real "I just wanna grill" energy

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Question Time posted:

I read somewhere that the reason the passthru apps so far have been pretty limited and underwhelming is because Meta won’t let apps have access to the video data, basically meaning that they’re limited to projecting game tables and windows and not actually interacting with anything.

I suppose they’re so worried about possible misuse that they’d rather neuter the potential of the mode.

Yeah, pretty much. None of the mobile headset vendors want to give out any kind of sensor access for complete bullshit "privacy" reasons (they won't elaborate on what the reasons are).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Escape Simulator vr update comes out tomorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf67kvq5haE

They are also making the game more expensive on April 14th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-wpwQClQw
Punch weird people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimg3dT73AE
And a photograph simulator

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Umurangi Generation is a great, great game, I hope this port is good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wait, escape simulator VR is an update to the base game? That would be sweet, I assumed it was another game entirely based on the demo being on a separate page.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

Wait, escape simulator VR is an update to the base game? That would be sweet, I assumed it was another game entirely based on the demo being on a separate page.

That's right
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1435790/view/4104539668015385873

Deathlove posted:

Umurangi Generation is a great, great game, I hope this port is good.

I remember faintly a video about it from Errant Signal. I will get it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nice! A friend with VR and I played a good bit of this in flatscreen and the whole time wished it was in VR. I was prepared to buy it but this is even better!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

FuzzySlippers posted:

Solving that required some really annoying fiddle and after failing to get anywhere with a couple different solutions I ended up using VirtualHere. Virtualhere is ornery fairly expensive software ($50 per machine source license non transferrable) with infamously bad support. What VirtualHere does is allow a client to access devices on a LAN source and take them over as if they were directly connected to the client machine. So I can have a laptop with a wireless mouse+kb near where I am using the Q3 and from my desktop computer (via Virtual Desktop) takeover those devices and they act as if they were directly connected to the desktop PC. The Quest is out of the loop entirely so android bugs don't apply and typing/mouse performance has been fine enough to play Cyberpunk.
You've already solved this but for anyone else with the same need (shared kb+mouse across PCs via network), there's an app called Synergy that does this for kb+mouse that doesn't cost $50.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

I was hoping to sidestep The Discourse when mentioning Carmack but yes, he was both a pioneering voice of dissent inside a company that was almost entirely clueless techbros by the end of his tenure, and also a very obviously weird idiot with at best sketchy opinions the moment he steps out of his wheelhouse. It's both! It can be both.

Super Foul Egg fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 1, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Desdinova posted:

I get that the headset and PC are the only things on the second router, but I meant what was the difference between the router connecting to the other router and the headset connecting to that router? Just one less device because the PC and headset are on one router that doesn't compete with the other devices, while the router is still sending/receiving the same data?

Thanks, the second part is great info, what a leap!

The problem is the Wifi space and the transmission collisions that happen there. If you could put all the other devices beside the headset in airplane mode the internet router would be as good as a dedicated VR access point.

IEEE 802.11-2020: Collision Avoidance in Wireless Networks

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FuzzySlippers posted:

The worst part is android keyboard/mouse weirdness. If you don't want to use it sitting at your desk (which would be pointless to me since I have a perfectly fine monitor) and you are out of range of wireless peripherals connected to your desktop then you need to pair your kb/mouse to the Quest. When you do that apparently there is an old Android bug with such things so the mouse movement wasn't smooth and mouselook in games doesn't work at all. On the KB most of the special keys don't work (alt, windows, ctrl) and typing performance wasn't great either. According to the virtual desktop dev this is an android level bug that some manufacturers have workarounds in their devices but facebook has never bothered on the Quest. Considering they've pitched the Q3 and Quest Pro as potential productivity devices that seems like an omission.

This is what mostly stopped me in my tracks when I tried to use the Q3 in a similar way. It was very weird to me that the intended ideal use case (including for Immersed) involves sitting at the computer using the computer's mouse+kb. Just using the headset with a Bluetooth paired mouse + kb? Naw man, doesn't work that way :shrug:

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Rectus posted:

Yeah, pretty much. None of the mobile headset vendors want to give out any kind of sensor access for complete bullshit "privacy" reasons (they won't elaborate on what the reasons are).

You don't understand why they want to avoid giving game developers a live feed of the inside of people's houses?

I wonder what the privacy implications could possibly be...

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Bhodi posted:

You've already solved this but for anyone else with the same need (shared kb+mouse across PCs via network), there's an app called Synergy that does this for kb+mouse that doesn't cost $50.

This is a software kvm? I guess if I could lock the input to the desktop computer once I started playing that would work, but if it always left at screen edge it wouldn't work for mouselook either. When I extensively used software kvms years ago when I dev'd on multiple machines they could be glitchy, but that was a long time ago so I could see it being in a better state now. Have you used it to play games across a network and the performance is good? Considering how dumb the license poo poo is on VirtualHere it'd be good to have an alternative

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

You don't understand why they want to avoid giving game developers a live feed of the inside of people's houses?

I wonder what the privacy implications could possibly be...

The same live feed already available on a large portion of PCVR headsets and every smartphone on the market?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm presuming the concern is the cameras when you aren't actually using the headset and flailing along doing whatever. That felt like more of a concern when dealing with the sensors you installed around your room that were active all the time. With inside out tracking even if someone could turn on the headset remotely and access camera data then they are only seeing your closet or wherever you store your headset.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is a software kvm? I guess if I could lock the input to the desktop computer once I started playing that would work, but if it always left at screen edge it wouldn't work for mouselook either. When I extensively used software kvms years ago when I dev'd on multiple machines they could be glitchy, but that was a long time ago so I could see it being in a better state now. Have you used it to play games across a network and the performance is good? Considering how dumb the license poo poo is on VirtualHere it'd be good to have an alternative

Did you end up just having the VirtualHere server running on an e.g. headless raspberry pi or something with keyboard + mouse attached? (And VirtualHere forwarding that to your desktop, which you use the Q3 as monitor replacement via virtual desktop?)

I see VirtualHere has an Android client, but I don't suppose the sever can run on the Q3 due to the aforementioned bugs...

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm already giving Literally Facebook a window into my home, I guess I don't value my privacy all that much. let the devs have it

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The Eyes Have It posted:

Did you end up just having the VirtualHere server running on an e.g. headless raspberry pi or something with keyboard + mouse attached? (And VirtualHere forwarding that to your desktop, which you use the Q3 as monitor replacement via virtual desktop?)

I see VirtualHere has an Android client, but I don't suppose the sever can run on the Q3 due to the aforementioned bugs...

A lot of people actually use it on Quest so they can use Vive's face tracker wirelessly. Absolutely murders battery life though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

I have the virtualhere server on a mobile pc (sorta a home made laptop) so I can take over the keyboard, mouse, and Xbox dongle it normally uses anyway. A raspberry pi or steam link would be a more slick solution, but I didn’t want to get new peripherals. Those get forwarded to the client running on my main desktop which yeah then the q3 acts as a virtual monitor.

Yeah I think you can’t use an Android server for keyboard and mouse due to the limitations. Other devices might work (hotas or I dunno whatever).

Note you do get one device per virtualhere server for free so if you don’t mind spreading your keyboard and mouse over two raspberry pis or whatever you don’t need a license.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I missed this from yesterday's April Fools

https://twitter.com/VRDesktop/status/1774886074579607654

lol

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FuzzySlippers posted:

I have the virtualhere server on a mobile pc (sorta a home made laptop) so I can take over the keyboard, mouse, and Xbox dongle it normally uses anyway. A raspberry pi or steam link would be a more slick solution, but I didn’t want to get new peripherals. Those get forwarded to the client running on my main desktop which yeah then the q3 acts as a virtual monitor.

Yeah I think you can’t use an Android server for keyboard and mouse due to the limitations. Other devices might work (hotas or I dunno whatever).

Note you do get one device per virtualhere server for free so if you don’t mind spreading your keyboard and mouse over two raspberry pis or whatever you don’t need a license.

Thanks so much for the summary, I think it's time I revisit this!

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

AndrewP posted:

Fired up Robo Recall last night. Still absolutely slaps. Looks amazing on Quest 3, still the gold standard of how guns should feel in VR.

Eschewing fiddly reload mechanics for just tossing them like a John Woo flick makes a lot of sense in VR from a practical standpoint and also feels amazing,

Yes! And bouncing an empty gun off some poor robo to reload it for style points? Couldn't feel better.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Picked up Legendary Tales a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty addicted to it now. The fighting is fun, and it feels like a proper dungeon crawl, and I love the fact that I can pop in and just gather crafting materials, kills some skeletons or whatever, and sell poo poo. Makes me wish my friends had a proper VR set up to play with too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Got in my lens package from zyber and I gotta admit, they are pretty great. Plastic is pretty tough, lenses are awesome.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Index refuses to give up 2nd place. Total continues under 2%.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm impressed WMR's just continuing to hang in there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao, vrchat on raspi5
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...d97e0e217cbcad&

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just grabbed a PSVR2 second hand off market place.

Always been keen on trying GT7, so it will be worth just for that, and I expect that I could potentially get what I paid for it back. Hoping that the rumoured driver support comes out and it can be a decent PC headset longer term to replace my now ancient Quest 1.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought the firmware update was already available for PSVR2 on PC? Just most hardware configurations require an adapter to make it work that doesn't exist yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah man, the battery in my Q2 might be toast. I haven't used it in a bit but have had it charging for a couple hours now and the battery won't go above 9%. Gonna let it go overnight and hope something happens.

Edit: Oh wait, it looks like it might be charging now. Maybe I just had to unplug it and plug it back in a couple times.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Turin Turambar posted:

Index refuses to give up 2nd place. Total continues under 2%.

Isn't this based on what headset is plugged in when steam does its hardware survey? I'm surprised people still have some of these things plugged in.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't this based on what headset is plugged in when steam does its hardware survey? I'm surprised people still have some of these things plugged in.

It supposedly remembers the headsets you have plugged in the last month.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I entered in my Quest and watched a few vr videos, and by pure chance I clicked on Store and ... wth I saw in the coming soon section... this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_RJdWtWw_E

Homeworld hype!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

I entered in my Quest and watched a few vr videos, and by pure chance I clicked on Store and ... wth I saw in the coming soon section... this!

Homeworld hype!

Oh neat, this looks like what I hoped BattleGroupVR was.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Turin Turambar posted:

Homeworld hype!

finally, there are already at least 2, but the thing they both missed me on is that the battles are ususally very small involving 2-8 ships. would love to see large scale homeworld style battles in vr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I want the ships to fight over my living room. Oh no, a frigate just emerged from warp space near the bathroom!