Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

EbolaIvory posted:

Scoresaber + BS plus + Better Song Search

Gonna toss in my $0.02 and say install beatleader over scoresaber, though there's no harm in running both at the same time. Beat Leader's the new(er) kid in town that's been around for ~1.5 years now and they're far more active in development and community interaction for rank, etc. They regularly have fun events like "Recycle old scores for Earth Day" and whoever set the most new PBs on old scores got a badge on their profile.

Debuffed posted:

Please can you say how you got beat saber working as well as it can be on quest 3.

Seconding the "use a link cable" recommendation. Also definitely take a moment to use the PCVR game's built-in latency offset tool to adjust the timing window compensation for render lag, as that will have a pretty big effect on where your cuts will count.

EbolaIvory posted:

10.5 is in the upper 1-5% of players.

You're way loving better than you think you are. I'm a retired professional player and 10-11 stars is basically my cap anymore. You are WAY loving better than you realize.

Likely higher than that even. Beat Saber's got a couple million copies sold, and scoresaber's player count has been dwindling over the past two years. So if you figure that Scoresaber's playerbase is already in the 5-10% of the total player count, passing a 10.5 star map puts you maybe in the 1-3% of all players, ranked and not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

CrazyLittle posted:

Likely higher than that even. Beat Saber's got a couple million copies sold

From the wiki
"By February 2021, the game had sold over 4 million copies and 40 million songs have been sold through paid DLC."

At this point they surely has sold 7 millions (Christmas 2021 was the big period for the Quest 2).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Promising tech for VR
https://repo-sam.inria.fr/fungraph/hierarchical-3d-gaussians/
https://repo-sam.inria.fr/fungraph/hierarchical-3d-gaussians/content/videos/hierarchical-3d-gaussians.mp4

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
3d Gaussian splatting has been going nuts the past 8-10 months. Still very new and has a lot of limitations (last time I looked, motion was still very early days) but has the potential to be wild. I did a few tests in my headset from scans I did using Kiri Engine; couldn't get nearly the results the demos show but it was still kind of mind blowing in a way. It just feels so much nicer than polygonal 3d.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CrazyLittle posted:

Gonna toss in my $0.02 and say install beatleader over scoresaber, though there's no harm in running both at the same time. Beat Leader's the new(er) kid in town that's been around for ~1.5 years now and they're far more active in development and community interaction for rank, etc. They regularly have fun events like "Recycle old scores for Earth Day" and whoever set the most new PBs on old scores got a badge on their profile.

Likely higher than that even. Beat Saber's got a couple million copies sold, and scoresaber's player count has been dwindling over the past two years. So if you figure that Scoresaber's playerbase is already in the 5-10% of the total player count, passing a 10.5 star map puts you maybe in the 1-3% of all players, ranked and not.

The star ratings on Beatleader are higher pretty much everytime, i've noticed, i've probably passed some songs that are closer to 11* by that system, but since I was playing on standalone previously which didn't support the mod, i'm not exactly sure. Now that I am on PCVR and have both installed, I think I like it more so, because I find in the case of Scoresaber a lot of songs are underrated. I've since checked some songs that I thought were misrated only to find that they are sometimes up to almost a full star higher on Beatleader. whereas some more accurately rated songs are very similar in rating or only very slightly higher. Also, Beatleader has graphs that give ratings to specific aspects of the songs that let you know exactly why a song is rated what it is.

I'm not sure either one takes into account the length of a song, which is kinda stinky. I know pretty much all of the top players pause songs to take breaks every so often which kinda trivializes it, so it feels kinda bad for me when I come across a song that is rated in the 8* range that is like 7 minutes long but by my own assessment, harder than stuff around 10* providing i'm not pausing multiple times in the middle of the drat song.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Batman game exclusive to Quest 3
https://www.roadtovr.com/batman-arkham-shadow-vr-quest-3-release-reveal/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOI0pXdcGY

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It really makes you feel like Batman.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Anybody else pick up Contractors Showdown? It turns out that this is NOT a game you can pug! You basically have to have a team of 3 if you don't want to end up by yourself against full teams on coms within minutes

Yeah, it's awesome. Game looks much nicer than Pop 1, especially on PCVR, and far less kiddies. Good weapons and perks system. Very well done map. And almost none of the building stuff i'm not fond of with battle royale games. I just hope the player base remains a healthy size. But given that its #1 on the charts, it should definitely have some longevity.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

BabyRyoga posted:

I've struggled for 3 or so months of trying to make Beat Saber work on the q3 with both the Pro Controllers and the standard ones, and i've finally got it in the spot where it's better than the previous headsets/controllers i've used. It's partially due to software/firmware updates, but also, i've come to accept that you just can't be playing standalone Beat Saber. It's basically link to a powerful PC or you are hosed.

Aside from that, you are ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to adjust your saber offsets. I was fine playing back in the days of Quest 2 both on standalone and without adjusting offsets, but those days are long gone.

edit: The hardest song i've cleared is about 10.5 stars for reference, so I am no Beat Saber god, but not a straggler either.

Maybe I'll mess with the offsets. I have no idea what the stars mean so I'm guessing you're a lot higher than me, I just do it for exercise basically. I've cleared the standard soundtrack 1, 2, 3 on expert+ and the rest on expert, was working through 4 on expert + when I got the q3, so that's where I'm at skill wise.

I am wired to a pretty good PC - 3080ti - play it through steam and always wired.

My headset just loses my controllers sometimes and takes a second to find them again, enough to miss notes. Sometimes it loses a controller I have outside of FOV and doesn't register a swing until a 10th second too late.

I thought maybe the Pros self-tracking would fix it, but also maybe I need to make more of an effort to not "big swing" and keep my hands in front of me.

Again I have no intention of being a sweaty, it's just for exercise, but failing songs to losing a controller is frustrating and not going for clears or better scores takes any fun out of it, and then it's just a treadmill.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Oh rad. These guys did the Iron Man VR game which was pretty drat fun.

Glad to see more Q3 exclusives on the horizon.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I would choose to play as the rat, doing that in vr would be sick

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

vaginite posted:

Maybe I'll mess with the offsets.
Offsets change what direction the saber sticks out from the controller. By default the saber sticks straight up like holding a broomstick or sword, which is fine for immersion but not optimal for actually playing "beat saber". You really want the sabers pointing forward like a push daggar or katar since that way you get equal up and down rotation from bending your wrist.

vaginite posted:

I have no idea what the stars mean
It's the difficulty rating system lifted from OSU! and other Japanese / bemani / rhythm games, and really only applies to community custom maps. The default difficulty ratings in beat saber are wildly divergent depending on when the map was made, so just calling maps, "easy / normal / hard / expert / expert+" doesn't really cover the whole range of difficulty.

vaginite posted:

I am wired to a pretty good PC - 3080ti - play it through steam and always wired.
keep my hands in front of me.

Yeah that's probably your biggest issue. The headset can't track what it can't see. If you're having trouble with the quest pro controllers too, then you've either got some room lighting issues, reflective surfaces, or wireless signal interference.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

vaginite posted:

Maybe I'll mess with the offsets. I have no idea what the stars mean so I'm guessing you're a lot higher than me, I just do it for exercise basically. I've cleared the standard soundtrack 1, 2, 3 on expert+ and the rest on expert, was working through 4 on expert + when I got the q3, so that's where I'm at skill wise.

My headset just loses my controllers sometimes and takes a second to find them again, enough to miss notes. Sometimes it loses a controller I have outside of FOV and doesn't register a swing until a 10th second too late.

I thought maybe the Pros self-tracking would fix it, but also maybe I need to make more of an effort to not "big swing" and keep my hands in front of me.

Again I have no intention of being a sweaty, it's just for exercise, but failing songs to losing a controller is frustrating and not going for clears or better scores takes any fun out of it, and then it's just a treadmill.

The offsets help a lot, but the two things that are immediately noticeable when you set them properly:

1) Your swings will be much straighter. If you want to be able to swing in a rapid pattern of two diagonal notes on the same hand repeating like 15 or 20 times in rapid succession, it's a combination of learning how to do the motion with your arms and wrists in a stable manner, and also having the right settings so that the line your controller traces is as straight back and forth as possible and not making circular motions or going all over the place. What is happening is that your swings curve either inward or outward, and fine tuning the offsets gets rid of whatever that curve is.

2) The arc of your swing will be much better when you find the right rotations. I haven't actually perfected this yet myself, but imagine when you swing, your 90 degree angle is going from some position behind your head at the top of the arc, and ending around your waist. In terms of Beat Saber scoring, you'd be getting something like 120-140% "before" swing and 60-80% "after" swing. The goal is to move that entire arc, so that it starts right in front of the top of your head, and extends further down so that you are as close to 100% before, 100% after as possible.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone tried the vr mod for Pacific Drive? Worth the bother? I’ve been enjoying the game and it certainly seems well suited to VR but I haven’t tried any uevr stuff

are you talking the uevr profile or did they come up with a better solution? its a little janky when youre actually in the car, but otherwise pacific drive is one of my favorite vr games ever (and i have a thread on it somewhere here in Games)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lemming posted:

there really need to be more vr games where you embody an animal. get to it chop chop!!!!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Koramei posted:

3d Gaussian splatting has been going nuts the past 8-10 months. Still very new and has a lot of limitations (last time I looked, motion was still very early days) but has the potential to be wild. I did a few tests in my headset from scans I did using Kiri Engine; couldn't get nearly the results the demos show but it was still kind of mind blowing in a way. It just feels so much nicer than polygonal 3d.

While it has it's uses for data visualization and full-scene geometry capture, my hunch is that something like it or based on it would be perfect for spatial 3D video. Add motion vectors and keyframes and you have a video codec and I feel a fair amount of compression could be achieved by optimizing through culling everything not viewable outside of a certain viewbox (like a meter square or so). Think 180-360 degree stereo VR video but with none of the distortion or other weird drawbacks, perfectly perspective correct. Frame interpolation becomes exciting too, since why not? Occlusion is no longer a problem since any data in the background of the scene can be in memory and sampled.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 1, 2024

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah that's probably your biggest issue. The headset can't track what it can't see. If you're having trouble with the quest pro controllers too, then you've either got some room lighting issues, reflective surfaces, or wireless signal interference.

Thanks for the tips - haven't actually tried the pros though, initial inquiry was wondering if the pros would help with the issue. Maybe I'll just drop down to easier songs and work on technique for a bit. I notice people online don't swing the thing like a saber, I literally start at my hip and end up over my head on an upswing and that's probably wrong.

I think the offsets will help too because that's the only way I can get in the 105-115 range with a straight offset, actually swinging it like a sword, if I can get a better arc with less motion it'll help keep the controllers in FOV I think.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

vaginite posted:

Thanks for the tips - haven't actually tried the pros though, initial inquiry was wondering if the pros would help with the issue. Maybe I'll just drop down to easier songs and work on technique for a bit. I notice people online don't swing the thing like a saber, I literally start at my hip and end up over my head on an upswing and that's probably wrong.

I think the offsets will help too because that's the only way I can get in the 105-115 range with a straight offset, actually swinging it like a sword, if I can get a better arc with less motion it'll help keep the controllers in FOV I think.

On the subject of the pro controllers vs the standard ones, I think the pro controllers do offer better tracking and slightly more grip options. This was important at first, especially when playing standalone because the standard ones just didn't feel right, lost tracking, etc. Now that 6 months+ have passed and improvements have rolled out on the software end, it seems like the fatal flaws of the standard controllers have been eliminated, and my perspective is that it would be better in the long run to tune my play style around them since they are lighter. I guess you can also look at the weight of the controllers in the sense of exercise, where providing you aren't swinging in a way that causes strain, you would be swinging around controllers that are heavier which may or may not have some positive effect on the amount of exercise you get, or at least help you build stamina faster.

On the negative side, there still might be some firmware issues on the pro controllers. The false positive overheating message was still coming up from time to time when I last used them. The battery life on them kinda sucks, you should expect to charge them every 6-8 hours of play. Also, I think they might be more prone to damage if you happen to accidentally slam them together while playing, since they have lenses on them and are heavier.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joG76WR6FGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHmepOCJ9CQ
https://www.uploadvr.com/madison-vr-review/

Madison VR is out tomorrow.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 1, 2024

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

where the gently caress is my Untitled Rat Game where I menace locales and avoid being scrunched in search of Holy Pizza

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

vaginite posted:

I literally start at my hip and end up over my head on an upswing and that's probably wrong.

That will absolutely end up in lost tracking. When you swing your hands down by your pockets, your torso and arms obscure the controllers, and when you bring them up behind your head, that's also outside the range of the cameras. The Q3 controllers are pretty good about interpolating that data but it's still limited in scope.

BabyRyoga posted:

The star ratings on Beatleader are higher pretty much everytime,

To add to the BeatLeader stuff, their website's got a TON of features too, including a web-base replay engine where you can look back or share your recorded plays, for example this score I set a while back: https://replay.beatleader.xyz/?scoreId=1788579

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I played some zombieland vr headshot fever and its like 85% what Id want out of a "vr lightgun" game. They made some weird mechanical choices that I dont agree with, but man someone needs to go grab the license to just port virtuacop, house of the dead, timecrisis, etc to vr

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

so, ive finally gotten into skyrim vr now that ive installed the basics: skyui vr, friik, both planck and the other one that escapes me now.

but what i want to do is make it more VR. weapons have to be held and can be dropped, physical backpack, physics based combat animations etc.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm not sure either one takes into account the length of a song, which is kinda stinky. I know pretty much all of the top players pause songs to take breaks every so often which kinda trivializes it, so it feels kinda bad for me when I come across a song that is rated in the 8* range that is like 7 minutes long but by my own assessment, harder than stuff around 10* providing i'm not pausing multiple times in the middle of the drat song.

Pausing is cheating and ill die on this hill. The pause abusers irritate the gently caress out of me.

CrazyLittle posted:

Beat Leader is fine but scoresaber is where rank IMO matters.

I use both for giggles but I never actually look at beat leader. It over judges things it feels like.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Well I tried Stones of Harlath and Vacation Simulator because they are the Meta+ games of the month.

I got as far as taking a bath in vacation simulator before knocking it off. It's just weird and I don't like it. The aesthetics make me grind my teeth.

Stones of Harlath has gesture based magic attacks and some nice touches with switching between holding a spellbook in your left hand and casting with your right, or shield in left, sword in right, but the graphics are pitiful. I'm sure it's a design choice but they look like those 2d D&D games from the early 90s, Eye of the Beholder I think they were. I killed some rats and some fish people. I've never really been able to identify disinterested voice acting until now. But now I can.

I installed Movie deck for plex from the Lab, and it's fantastic. Horrific interface, like a 3d mixing desk maybe which you can switch to a slightly less horrific 2d implementation, but I can stream from my plex subs with it, and watch movies in ENORMOUS scale. I have a 75 inch tv at home, but this is bigger(from my perception) the quality seems fine. The only issue I've noticed really apat from the front end is that I have Lord of the Rings in 6.1 sound and the headphones aren't picking up the spoken audio at all, just the orchestral stuff. Everything else seems fine. Dunno if that's down to how plex is serving the audio or how the app is picking it up. But yeah. It's a standout app if you have access to plex but are not running your own server, and are headset based rather than using a PC.

Gryff
Feb 7, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

It supposedly remembers the headsets you have plugged in the last month.

I can confirm it does not pick up headsets if you use airlink. I use a Q3 via Airlink regularly and the hardware survey had me down as not having a vr headset.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gryff posted:

I can confirm it does not pick up headsets if you use airlink. I use a Q3 via Airlink regularly and the hardware survey had me down as not having a vr headset.

Speaking of

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Do you like Power Metal???!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Es66rzuMI

(I do, but I don't know any of the bands: Bloodbound, Brothers of Metal and Firewind)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yelling into the void to make myself feel better: I'm STILL waiting on my BSB that I ordered in December to ship. They apparently have my lenses and facial interface ready, but they don't have any headsets in stock with my IPD. :mad:

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Lemming posted:

You can be a rat in a sewers searching for your lost rat friend in Scamper. It's sorta janky horror.

https://youtu.be/3JxcfZEALDU?si=lieBWSeOH6Ub0b-Z

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Lol. Unity has a new CEO... but it's Zynga's former COO :troll:

Zynga's whole thing was literally "copy the popular big sellers until you get their numbers." Absolutely zero innovation allowed -- innovation or experimenting was a great way to get shitcanned because it took away from time you could be spending copying bigger sellers' hard-worked tried-and-true features to make numbers go up.

(Well, at least that's how it was back when mobile nearly single-handedly launched the casual games segment into the stratosphere for a while.)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Eyes Have It posted:

Lol. Unity has a new CEO... but it's Zynga's former COO :troll:

Zynga's whole thing was literally "copy the popular big sellers until you get their numbers." Absolutely zero innovation allowed -- innovation or experimenting was a great way to get shitcanned because it took away from time you could be spending copying bigger sellers' hard-worked tried-and-true features to make numbers go up.

(Well, at least that's how it was back when mobile nearly single-handedly launched the casual games segment into the stratosphere for a while.)

thinking about the billion lovely gorilla tag clones that popped up overnight

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

So is that Homeworld game any good?

edit: https://www.ign.com/articles/homeworld-vast-reaches-vr-review

apparently not :(

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 2, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

it sounds like neither of the homeworld games are very good which is a huge bummer

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cutedge posted:

So is that Homeworld game any good?

edit: https://www.ign.com/articles/homeworld-vast-reaches-vr-review

apparently not :(

Damnit!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

IGN is the only one who has reviewed it so I guess take it with a grain of salt. It's a shame if they made it too simple but 30 bucks for 6-8 hours of gameplay is pretty normal for VR I guess. I might still get it. I need to play something on my Q3 besides Elite Dangerous.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LeisureSuit Canary posted:

You can be a rat in a sewers searching for your lost rat friend in Scamper. It's sorta janky horror.

https://youtu.be/3JxcfZEALDU?si=lieBWSeOH6Ub0b-Z

hell yeah

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Played contractors showdown til the battery ran out, that is some good clean fun. Good to know I still got my vr legs and luckily other people are just as bad at shooting.

Also, is protube still the go to gunstock?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Oovee posted:

Played contractors showdown til the battery ran out, that is some good clean fun. Good to know I still got my vr legs and luckily other people are just as bad at shooting.

Also, is protube still the go to gunstock?

Theres a ton of cheaper options on Etsy that are worth a look with all sorts of different design ideas.

I currently use a CGripVR and modified it a bit to specifically play better with Showdown. I believe its $40.

Though I think Im going to pull the trigger on a SplineVR or something with a similar magnetic set up that mounts from top up vs bottom. I find myself bumping into my stock when reloading a lot.

Would be down to squad up with any VR goons!

UID: siellwdoay111
Name: Elros42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

KillHour posted:

Yelling into the void to make myself feel better: I'm STILL waiting on my BSB that I ordered in December to ship. They apparently have my lenses and facial interface ready, but they don't have any headsets in stock with my IPD. :mad:

What's your IPD? 37? 89?