Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Roundboy posted:

Re: quest 2 controller issues

My nephew seems to have broken his left controller? Doing this remotely but it seems the controller pops in and out of being seen, which seems to me a battery/power issue

It probably did get banged hard (drat you gorilla tag :) ) and I'm not sure what to troubleshoot here. Returning the whole setup via Amazon would be a hassle and replacement is unlikely. Meta is the next step but I don't want to ;burn' a replacement on a device literally days old

Anyone have a similar issue?

There are LEDs in the ring that will pulse which the headset used to track. If it did get banged hard, I wonder if something electrical happened there and LEDs aren’t firing consistently.

I’ve only played with my Q2 a little bit so I’m not sure how robust they are against damage or if that happens often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

New to VR with a Quest 2. It’s very interesting technology, Walkabout and Pistol Whip slap. Even my wife, immediately upon playing Walkabout was like “yea I get it, I don’t feel like I’m at home at all”.

It truly made me think “why would anyone want to play games any other way, this feels so cool”. But then it just sits there for a few days because I’m too lazy to put it on and find something new / I don’t want to get a workout while playing a game. Also, The Home or whatever UI is incredibly cumbersome.

I guess this is what people mean when they say the technology is still a couple years off or whatever. Feels to me more like a Game Dev obstacle than anything else.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Turin Turambar posted:

Also

https://twitter.com/JeffMacke/status/1665810043990872064?cxt=HHwWgMDU9Zfakp4uAAAA

Not divorced. People have decided already it's about a harboiled cyber detective reliving moments of his dead family with holo-videos. Get it right. :P

Imagine in the final scene of Inception if only Leo was walking to see his kids while wearing an Apple Vision Pro, he could repeatedly relive the moment in true 4k Spatial Video

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

ChocNitty posted:

I got worried when I couldn't find my Pokerstars VR app. Thought it got taken down. Was relieved to see they just rebranded and relaunched it. I think making it cross compatible with PC players will be a huge boon. It's definitely good enough to stand as a flatscreen game, and having a large playerbase will make it even better.

One thing that looks nice about Quest 3, is I probably won't be accidentally hitting my headset anymore when blocking punches in Thrill of the Fight. I just hope the controllers won't have much shorter battery life, with the cameras.

The controllers don’t have cameras! So I think battery life is supposed to be the same as Quest 2.

I got my Quest 2 last summer. I play it a bit and was impressed, but didn’t really grab me a whole lot. Debating on Q3…I have money burning a hole in my pocket so I’ll probably pre-order

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 1, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Pimblor posted:

I'd hosed off around the same time two years ago and been assaulted by screeching child demons. It seems odd now.

They were doing “remote learning at home” cuz of COVID maybe

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I had a case in BS where my controller would lose tracking (like 1sec drop) after hitting blocks sometimes. I finally just replaced the in box batteries with Duracells and it’s worked fine for a while.

Haven’t been playing a ton lately but man Tetris Effect just hits some chemical release in my brain. Gonna be the “demo” app, along with Walkabout, for family this Xmas

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I feel like I read somewhere that the company is trying to learn lessons from, and basically position themselves as, our generations “early” ILM or Xerox Parc. Give the engineers a poo poo ton of money and some overall direction and some sort of step function evolution will happen in the spaces. Maybe Boz said it at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I think you will find VR is now being drive exclusively by Zuck and Tim Apple and it’s being focused toward being a lobby full of 12 year olds using their parents credit card and a TV replacement device, respectively.

There is no room for “tech” anymore