Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Some VR games I enjoy:

Lone Echo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pmV2mwAV9k
A singleplayer adventure game, taking place in outer space. One of the earliest "big" VR releases, and still one of the best. It has some of the most uniquely VR experiences, as it takes place in outer space and there is no artificial gravity, so you make your way around by crawling along and pushing yourself off walls to float from here to there, with little hand jets to refine your movement.

The plot is an "everything was fine, and then MYSTERIOUS poo poo HAPPENED" episode of Star Trek, with gameplay consisting of solving environmental puzzles, navigating through hazardous areas, and piecing together clues to figure out what the gently caress happened to your space station.

If you don't care about the story stuff and just wanna gently caress around in space, then check out its free companion (briefly featured at the end of the trailer above):

Echo VR (aka Echo Arena)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSC8nEgHKN8
Echo VR is Lone Echo's multiplayer companion title, featuring two game modes: Arena and Combat.

Arena is the main attraction, both because it's COMPLETELY FREE, and because it loving rules. Take the locomotion of Lone Echo, plop it into that training arena from Ender's Game, and play zero-g 3-on-3 soccer with a flying disc! With a recent patch adding more gameplay tutorials and AI opponents, this is one of the best experiences in VR. If you get a kick out of making a perfect pass or a crazy accurate shot in Rocket League, then you'll similarly love that in this game. Easily one of the best VR games.

Combat is a team deathmatch addition. While not free, if you play Arena and wish it had guns, then Combat will give you exactly what you want.

Also, the game's lobby is the best VR chatroom.

Blade & Sorcery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-90-BE8uq8
VR's most brutal melee combat game. It's simply nonstop violence, from bashing someone's face with your buckler, to pinning them against a wall with a dagger, to chopping off their leg and throwing it at someone, to simply running them through and throwing their body off a cliff. There's also a busy mod scene adding weapons from various countries, and even weapons from Dark Souls and Bloodborne. There isn't much "game" to it yet, as the dev is still working on the engine and physics, but it's a drat fun bloody sandbox. If it bugs you to play a game where stabbing someone's eye with a dagger takes off some hitpoints instead of just killing them, then you'll appreciate this game. If you appreciate this game a lot, then you might need therapy.

Honorable mention: GORN, which is more cartoonishly over-the-top violent, and includes multiple boss fights, including a giant crab.

Thrill of the Fight VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv_JKBiAVx8
Please work out. Consider playing this game to do so. It's a boxing sim that goes for realism within the practical boundaries of VR. No Punch-Out'esque enemy stuns, no stamina bar, etc. Your stamina in the game is your actual IRL stamina, and if your conditioning is weak, then this game will punish you for it, hard. Stick with it, and your fitness will improve!

It's the most realistic boxing game ever made, in that people who know how to box will immediately be good at it, and people who don't know poo poo about boxing will suck unless they learn some basic stuff (watch YouTube videos, or go work with a boxing coach). The developer updates it regularly (and is working on a Quest port!), and it can legit be used as cardio. It's a steal at $9.99.

The game automatically calibrates itself to how hard you are punching, so it can be used by anybody physically capable of throwing punches, no matter their strength or size. You can also manually adjust the game's punch multiplier if you just wanna deck people with your big lovely haymaker, which is satisfying in its own way.

Carly & the Reaperman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERtyq-VPf4Q
A unique co-op title in which one player (on the monitor) controls Carly, and a second player (in VR) plays the Reaperman. Carly plays like a basic 3rd person platformer, and is assisted by the Reaperman, who can move platforms, see hidden paths, and stall enemies. It's a wonderful couples game, and probably would be fun to play with a kid. I dunno, I don't like kids.

Compound
https://store.steampowered.com/app/615120/COMPOUND/
An early 90s-style FPS in VR, regularly updated with new weapons and enemies. Physically moving your body to peek out from cover is a blast, and the enemy projectiles are slow enough that they can be dodged by bobbing and weaving your head and/or stepping around your play area. This is good poo poo!

Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLv3wTRJwWM
It's this goddamn game and it's scary as goddamn balls in VR, loving gently caress this game, christ.

Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpE5LKxKbzs

Eleven: Table Tennis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J4Io458jXo
Both are table tennis/ping pong games, both are a blast, and both feel pretty drat realistic, in that you'll probably be about as good/lovely at these are you are at the actual sport. It's a very accessible game, in that everybody knows the gist of how table tennis works, so put your non-gamer friend into VR and load up this game, and they'll figure it out easily enough. Racket Fury has both Arcade and Sim physics modes, making it a bit more accessible than Eleven. Eleven "feels" better to me and has several minigames. They're both good.

Payday 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDKXKTBt0Q
You probably bought this game for like $2.99 during a Steam sale at some point, right? Then you own the VR version, as it was a free update! It's the same co-op heist/gently caress-it-shoot-everything game goons have been hate-loving for years, and it's cross-compatible with the non-VR version. While you can tell it wasn't originally designed for VR (the object interactions are "gamey" and unrealistic), it's very well done, and I enjoy it in VR more than the regular version. There's something especially satisfying about over-the-top shootouts in VR.

Tetris Effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFVL6t8IHE8
It's only on the Epic store, which sucks, but if you don't mind that, then this is a must-buy. It's hard to make a $30 Tetris game sound like a must-buy, but it's basically Tetris that constantly puts you "in the zone" and you lose track of the entire world around you as you're drawn into hypnotic visuals and music. I don't do drugs, but I imagine it feels kinda like this. It's has a neat feature where it occasionally triples the game speed, hacks your brain, and you magically become better than you've ever been at Tetris.

Any flight/driving/space game that supports VR
iRacing, Elite Dangerous, IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, War Thunder, DCS World, Project CARS, Dirt Rally, etc.
Cockpit games and VR go together so goddamn well that I refuse to play them on my monitor now. Being "in" your car/plane/spaceship is the coolest feeling, and there are some gameplay benefits, too. Hovering in helicopters, landing planes, and "feeling" the weight transfer of racecars is much easier in VR than on a monitor, IMO. That said, you need a beefy computer to run most of these, especially the flight sims. Flight sim developers are loving stupid and their poo poo tends to be unoptimized trash.

Shine fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Oh hey, I started this post in the previous thread, but forgot to actually post it:

Echo Arena's bots are live, and they're fun! They won't fool you into thinking they're human (cute post-goal gestures aside), but they do pass to you and catch your passes, and the harder ones dabble with advanced locomotion (increasing speed by grabbing another player and launching off of them). The easy bots will give new players a gentle introduction to the game, and the harder ones are fun to play against with human teammates. You can play with all AI teammates/opponents, or queue up to play with humans against an AI team.

This removes one of the big obstacles of Echo Arena: getting into a newbie-friendly game where one team doesn't have a level-50 player that can singlehandedly defeat a team of new players. Anybody who was ever concerned about that should give the AI mode a try.

I'm Shine.49 on Oculus. Friend me if you wanna compstomp.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SabinBlitz posted:

Can you push the Rift CV1 to over clock like the Index?

I've never come across anybody saying that you can, and it's not in TrayTool. 120hz is an officially supported mode for the Index, and you can also do 144hz with the disclaimer that it might be glitchy, none of which requires any special tools.

And yeah, the 120 mode is great for sims that can't maintain consistent 90 (and thus dump down to 45) but that can maintain 60. It's very nice.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Flight simming tends to involve sitting around for hours-long sessions, so the Rift S' lighter weight could be appealing, too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Playing Payday 2's base defense mission with the "Deathwish" soundtrack and a minigun is the loving best. Click the police.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

What mods do you use? I've not really hosed with PD2 mods.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Looks like TotF didn't ship with multiplayer in the steam version, does the Quest version have multiplayer?

Been waiting for this to come out for a couple months, definitely gonna check this out this weekend

TotF does not and will not have multiplayer. It's a single dev's first game, and multiplayer was outside his scope. He's trying to get a properly funded sequel going, so maybe that could have multiplayer.

That said, buy it. It can legit be your new cardio. It's by far the most physically intense VR game I've played (way more so than BoxVR or Beat Saber), and playing it without wires is drat near tempting enough for me to get a Quest just for it.

If your conditioning is spotty, then you'll really need to pace yourself to avoid gassing out and flopping into a chair. If/once you are in good shape, then you can do custom fights to reduce time between rounds, add more rounds, and/or make rounds longer.

IRL boxing skills transfer well to TotF, so if you don't box, then watch and copy some basic boxing YouTube videos on footwork, head movement, etc. and you'll actually get better at the game. I don't think I could ox for poo poo IRL, but mimicking real boxers as best I can helped my defense in TotF considerably.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I think VR boxing multiplayer would suck for the reasons mentioned.

All I've heard about Creed multiplayer is people putting their controllers on selfie sticks to fake having super long arms.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tip posted:

They would need to rethink the system that allows you to scale your punching power. It makes sense in single player, but in multi they'd really need to figure out a different way to handle that. It could be interesting if they let you choose between matches at "natural strength", where no multiplier is applied and the better puncher has an advantage

The problem with "natural strength" is that the game has no idea how strong you are; only how fast your hands move. This is part of why the game uses a multiplier, so that it adjusts for people with harder, but slower punches. So removing that would result in a person with faster hands being "stronger" than a person with slower hands. That is, the game would say that 135lbs Demetrious Johnson punches harder than 250lbs Francis Ngannou.

I don't know what would be the best solution, keeping multiplayer balanced and accessible for people of different sizes fighting each other. IRL boxing/MMA's solution is weight classes, but you can't really enforce that for a video game. I'm not sure if present VR tech has a solution that can't be effortlessly cheesed.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

When I tried armswinger before, I couldn't figure out how to step backward or sideways, and it bugged me, so I use smooth movement. I might try it again, but it felt frustrating to want to sidestep a bit behind cover, but seemingly having to physically turn myself and "walk" forward instead.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Or you can aim the controllers in the direction you want and then swing that way.

It takes about 15 minutes to get the hang of but it works really well in H3VR. I never use it except H3VR and it works well (and the other options in H3VR don't).

Turning my controllers (and thus my weapon) to move in that direction feels like a downgrade in usability, considering that I've been side/backstepping one direction while aiming/shooting in another direction since like 1993.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lemming posted:

TBH this is one aspect of the current crop of VR FPS games I really hate - people zipping around, zig zagging and strafing in and out of cover like they do in regular FPS games. It feels wrong for people to be that maneuverable while also being able to accurately track and shoot in something that's supposed to feel more realistic

That's fair, and in the last thread I noted that I find teleportation (or dash-to-point, like in Payday 2) appealing for that reason, as with those movement types I'm more likely to teleport/dash myself into a general position, and then step around that position (physically lean around cover, etc.). But then I'll get killed in Onward because it took me a half-second longer to physically position myself and aim than it would if I'd thumbstick'd myself out of cover while having perfectly steady aim the whole time, or I won't quite be positioned well enough to step around my cover and my chaperone will pop up, so I'll have to do a fine-tune teleport/dash so that I can properly step around, which takes me out of the moment and slows me down.

It's one of of those cases where gamerbrain takes over and doing what's convenient takes priority over doing something with unique appeal, but annoying drawbacks. I imagine it's a difficult prospect for designers to balance for competitive VR shooters, since not every playspace allows for the same mobility, but people will get mad if you balance twinstick by making it feel more sluggish, or by adding artificial aim penalties during/immediately after a stick movement.

I think I'd like H3VR armswinger if I could hold the stick in a direction to move that direction. Like, without touching sticks, it works as it does now. But if I hold a stick direction, then I still need to swing my arms to move (so my aim won't be perfect in motion), but I'll move in the stick direction. I think that would be a good compromise between movement affecting aim, but still feeling decently mobile and able to shoot at something while backing up or sidestepping.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I hadn't played H3VR's Take & Hold since it was brand new, and I love that a bunch of cover pops up now when it's time to hold a point.

Armswinger still isn't my jam and I don't think it will be unless he adds stick-based direction to is (hold stick and swing arms to move in that direction), but I'd also like if there was Blade & Sorcery style twinstick, where you use the stick to move, but you'll sprint if you also pump your arms. I was reflexively doing that and now I want it to be the norm.

The Rottweiner mode isn't my jam, but I can see why someone would like it. Once out of ammo, I ended up holding two pistols and just punching the enemies as if playing Thrill of the Fight.

The plinking modes remain mad chill. Guns suck, but they're mechanically super neat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Do what, now?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah it feels very in-universe in Vox. Your hands are controlling stuff, and your head tracks your externally mounted cannon, the same way several actual helicopters and their sims work (the Ka-50 in DCS World, for example). It would feel weird if, say, Payday 2 did that, having you control a handheld gun by looking at things.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Onward (realisticish military shooter) is having a free weekend on Steam, and is half-price. Apparently they've improved the AI for the co-op/solo modes. I haven't messed with it since getting the Index since my gunstock was made for the Rift, but it was a fun game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Games actually good.

Def check it out. Also which gunstock? Most companies have made thingies for the index.

I forget, but it was basically the ProTube except some US company.

I just ordered the universal Mamut one with the magnets for the Index. My gripe with my old stock was that it got in the way of reloading (since the stock frame was under the controllers) so I'm hoping the Mamut is better in that respect.

Personally, I much prefer VR rifles with a stock, and a magnet-based seems like it'll work much better than the old cup ones.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

H3VR's Take & Hold is fun as poo poo, goddamn. He really polished it up since the original WIP I played.

Onward's new update is nice. The game loads much faster, the interface is cleaner, and the AI foes do a bit more than just charge headfirst into you. There's a pretty busy online population at the moment. Plenty of co-op servers.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Deffo H3VR. It was already a worthy purchase when it was just a lovingly detailed plinking game, but the game-games he's added over the past year or so push it into Must Buy.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SirViver posted:

I get that you're supposed to focus on melee, but... melee in H3 is kinda poo poo? It feels like swinging a nerf bat against oversized pool noodles.

Yeah, the melee completely blows. It's like slapping around those weighted balloon things that stand back up. No sense of weight or impact; doesn't hold a candle to Blade & Sorcery or Gorn.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I finally got around to playing the free alpha Oculus Quest port of for Tea for God:

https://void-room.itch.io/tea-for-god

The redirected walking stuff is like magic. I have a pretty small living room and never ran out of space. Probably one of the cooler things to show off to people on the Quest too since you don't have to worry about them running into poo poo.

This is cool as poo poo! I just tried it on SteamVR/Index, and the illusion is really convincing. I know I was just crisscrossing around my space, but it felt like I was making my way around a tower or something, with just enough conveyors and such to break the tedium of hallways. I probably walked a quarter mile or so, just stepping around my area and shooting robots. Neat!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Does H3 have a reach grip? It needs that if not. Picking poo poo up off the floor sucks.

It does. It's that red laser you can project (I forget the default mapping, as I almost always gently caress with controls). It'll turn color when over an object, at which point you can grab it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm so glad H3VR lets you "palm" a handful of bullets. Makes it so much easier to reload revolvers, or combine magazines.

I played a round of Take & Hold using the item spawner, so I could start with an AR15, 1911 Tactical, and a bunch of ammo. It's really striking how much easier the game is when you start with a modern rifle and not some bolt-action WW1 thingy.

I remember the original draft of T&H let you set different types of progressions. Like, standard progression, versus "themed" ones like only spawning pistols, or modern rifles, or whatever else. It looks like the current version only lets you customize what category of weapons you start with, and the progression is otherwise "standard" no matter what. Am I missing something, or did they remove the different progression types?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I spent like $1200 on an Index, extra base station, and some mods. If an indie dev makes a great game and wants like 30 bucks for it, then I'm gonna pay them 30 bucks without a second thought.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I think... I'm actually going to return the index. I dunno. The extra field of view, deeper contrast and richer colors are nice, but I just can't get past the controllers not feeling good, especially in legacy titles (where they're treated like vive wands instead of their closest equivalent, the touch controllers) or games with a lot of gripping action. The experience of using steamvr is pretty bad compared to oculus dash, too. The rift s does come with a bunch of its own compromises, but after using both, they each feel pretty first gen in different ways. Except one is a lot cheaper and has controllers I like a lot more.

It'll take something pretty phenomenal to pull me away from the oculus system and touch controllers at this point. Probably whatever oculus does next, assuming there's a significant hardware upgrade and not just a side grade like the cv1 to rift s mostly was.

I came close to returning it, but palm boosters made the controllers tolerable, and the screen/sound is so goddamn nice for the sim genres I'm into that I stuck it out.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/706629848/valve-index-controllers-grip-boosters

I agree that the Touch controllers are far better gaming devices. The Index grip gimmick doesn't matter in games beyond "look at my fingers!" and flipping people off, and the tradeoffs are annoying. Funny enough, Index is much worse imo for throwing stuff because the "I can let go; it's strapped to my hand!" is hampered by "but the controller will still shift around annoyingly when I throw, and could fly off my hand if I really fling something in Echo Arena." If I could Frankenstein together the Index headset and Touch controllers, I'd be a much happier camper.

But yeah, the headset quality itself is so nice that I put up with the dumbass gimmick controllers.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bethesda ignored [...] conventions to do something loving stupid.

Sounds about right.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

You can also buy a 3D-printed dealie that lets you mount a 40mm fan in the Index. It makes Thrill of the Fight sessions much less sweaty.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just saw an ad for echo arena/oculus during the Packers game :psypop:

Me too, and it loving OWNED :swoon:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

What's the consensus on asgard's wrath?
Youtube folk love it, but they always do, and it's not an impulse purchase price point, not seen you dudes talk about it much unless I missed it?

I've not played it, but Lemming's thoughts on it were basically "mediocre game with 2016-level VR object interactivity that blows unless it's your first VR game."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SirViver posted:

So, if anyone's using an overhead cable management system (or planning to get one), I can wholeheartedly recommend the ones from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53QmxZ-rOs

I've recently upgraded, and compared to their predecessors they:
  • Use a fabric/nylon ("dyneema") cable, which is quieter than the steel cable. It should also hopefully be more durable; I've recently had one of the steel cables snap during play, probably from a weakened point due to bending by winding/unwinding the cable repeatedly. Steel may have a greater tensile strength, but that is completely overkill for this application.
  • Have a longer cable at about 1.5m compared to the ~1m the older variant had, increasing your range and reducing the pull force.
  • Have better HMD cable holder thingies that are just a single piece that you can close/open around the HMD cable. No more fiddling with the metal hooks and rubber bands.
The only thing I don't quite agree with from the video is the mounting solution using the triangle setup as the final point. That just seems completely superfluous/overengineered to me; simply putting two pulleys in series (attaching one pulley to another and then to the HMD cable) for the final attachment point fulfills the same purpose of increasing your movement range and reducing pulling force, and IMO does so better and easier.

Curiosity, does this setup allow you to go completely prone? I will literally lay down on the floor when I'm doing rifle range poo poo in H3VR.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The big thing I would miss about the Index controllers if I went back to Touch would be the ability to do the Ocelot gesture.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Finally got Virtual Desktop working well on my Quest in spite of my Google Wifi mesh network absolutely sucking. Plugged a used 30 dollar router that can give me 5ghz into my bridge and am using it as a dedicated VD streaming SSID. I played Gorn and it felt flawless to me, except for the part where I hit the wall multiple times with my knuckles.

Is there any way to have Gorn warn you even more than normal about Guardian boundaries? Maybe I need to change the sensitivity I use for beat saber and make it more sensitive again.

You can turn on "strict chaperone" and it'll automatically pause as soon as you cross the line.

Personally, when playing Gorn or B&S, I set my chaperone's outline to always show (look up Advanced Settings VR) and that helps me regularly position myself with plenty of room in front, relative to the enemy I'm facing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

So I'm basically waiting Black Friday to get into VR (Quest, + possibly Link cable). What are the top five things to get? Beat Saber and...?
I guess I should do the same question but also for the Rift store, given that I have a good computer, which is why I'm also buying the cable.

Here's my bit from the first page:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post499049637

Not an exhaustive list, but I still enjoy all of these.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I was the one ranting about the Index controllers, yes. It was in the previous thread. I would take the Touch controllers over them in a heartbeat if they were Lighthouse compatible.

Basically, the finger sensing stuff is largely a gimmick because VR games are all designed to work with Touch/Vive as well, so other than making hand gestures in poker games or whatever, there's really no gameplay purpose to it. And it doesn't work well for, say, communicating in ASL (the first thing my wife tried) because it doesn't detect if your extended fingers are touching each other or not. For a pop culture example, you can't do the Spock "live long and prosper" thing and have the Index mirror what your fingers are doing.

In games, the convenience of not having to hold the controllers is hampered by the requirement to remove your fingers when throwing things, which means the controller will shift around a lot if you throw something hard, such as in Echo Arena. You can mitigate this by strapping them super tight, but that's really uncomfortable, and they'll still shift enough that it makes me think about what they are doing on my hand, versus the Touch, which were secured by my ring/pinky fingers at all times and I would throw that disc as hard as I could without thinking about what the controller was doing. Ironically, the more "gamey" Touch controllers were more immersive for me, because they just disappeared into my hands and I didn't think about them or worry that they would slip around.

Index is fine (actually, great) for gentle throws, like tossing mags into the trash in H3VR, but I've all but stopped playing Echo Arena, because I'll basically have to use the trigger as grip and the grip as trigger, which means rewiring a lot of muscle memory. If anybody ever figures out a way to have only the middle finger sensor be used for grip, so that my ring/pinky fingers can just grip at all times like Touch, that'd be nice for games like Echo.

I also had to buy some 3D printed palm boosters to make them comfortable for more than like 20 minutes, and they're still not ideal. I have pretty large hands, but that wasn't a problem for Touch, which I could easily hold for hours on end.

Basically, the Index headset is stellar (and I play a lot of racing/flight sims where the controllers aren't used), but the controllers are a step down from Touch unless I wanna flip somebody off.

Shine fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 16, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

You people can discuss the finer points of hand/finger tracking all day long, but at the end of the day

Read this in Triple-H's voice.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I don't understand the perception of the exclusivity of VR gaming, when there are definitely people in any given Games thread who have G-sync monitors that are as or more expensive than the midrange VR headsets.

VR isn't all that expensive unless you make it so. Many goons have a VR-spec PC, and a Rift S costs about as much as a Switch. Just because you can drop two grand on an Index and 2080ti doesn't mean you have to.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Does anyone have experience going from a CV1 to an Index?

Absolutely stellar headset, superior in every way except deep blacks.

I miss the Touch controllers. Touch controllers are much better for games with hard throwing, like Echo, and I generally find Touch much comfier than the Knuckles. The finger tracking doesn't really matter because VR games are all made to work with Touch/Wand, so it's more a "neat, my fingers!" than a thing that matters.

Lighthouse tracking has given me no issues, whereas even with 4 Oculus sensors I had occasional hiccups with CV1.

Overall, it's worth the upgrade, but if you adore Echo or other hard throwing games, then consider Rift S or Quest instead. The Knuckles straps aren't good enough to really chuck a disc without the controller shifting obnoxiously.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Chill the gently caress out.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone have experience with getting prescription lens inserts for a headset? I want to be able to play without wearing my glasses because they are a huge pain. I'm also worried about scratching up my headset due to the glasses. I plan on getting an Index soon. How big a risk is glasses scratching it?

https://www.vroptician.com

My wife has sets for both the Rift and Index, and loves them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Twibbit posted:

The force sensor is the feature that boneworks really sells

To do what?