Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I bought a Rift S to find out what this VR stuff is all about.

Verdict: fffffffuuuuucccckkkkk yes :catdrugs:

Now I want more. I'm very temped to wait till the Pimax 5k is generally available and get me one of those.

On the other hand, I could get an Index right now. Has anybody had the chance to compare the Index and the 5k?
How much better does the Pimax view angle make the experience? Will I hate myself in a few months if I get an index now?

Regarding Skyrim VR: can I use total conversions for normal Skyrim with that? I just started to play Enderal, and doing it in VR would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Buy the index. Pimax might go out of business tomorrow.

Is this based on something or just a general remark?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I read a bit more regarding the Index vs Pimax 5k question, and yea, it looks like the Index really comes out on top.

The 5k's widest view angle (200 degrees) is a marketing lie (they measured it in the diagonals, not horizontally). It actually is something like 170 degrees.

The problem is that those 170 degrees REALLY stresses your hardware, and also introduces some very noticeable distortions at the edges of your view. The distortions might or might not be fixed in future versions of their driver software.

Their medium setting (150 degrees) is much more usable right now - a clear image and a manageable hardware load. But that's just 10 degrees better than the index. Also those 10 degrees are completely in your peripheral vision, and as such are not that noticeable.

So yea, the index is the better package for now.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Owlbear Camus posted:

Uuuuugh.

I was indeed genuinely hoping that someone had put together a "if you have a beefy rig, just install this one mega-mod to make the game look nice" package after all these years.
It's just not elder scrolls if you do not spend at least a week fiddling with mods.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

RabbitWizard posted:

I used the Software "4K Video Downloader" to download 360° videos from youtube. I couldn't find a player that can deal with the resulting mp4 for my Rift.
Do I have to download the videos another way?
I'm sure one of you already went through this, any help would be appreciated. Note: I don't want to stream because my internet is poo poo.
Just search for "VR media player" in the steam shop and try all the free ones. I like DeoVR.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

TACD posted:

Is there a particular technique for getting the most comfortable headset positioning with glasses, or has anybody shelled out for the prescription VR lenses? I don’t think my eyesight is bad enough to make that worthwhile but I’m curious about other people’s experiences.
Did you find the button for regulating the distance between the lenses and your face? The Index seemed very tight on my glasses before I figured that out.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

That Italian Guy posted:

Anyone else experiencing weird "depth perception distortion" after spending some time in VR? I don't have locomotion sickness, but sometimes I get weirded out trying to put stuff close to my face in focus after playing for a while. I wear glasses inside the headset, if that makes any difference. It's nothing major (no dizziness or vertigo), just a weird feeling that something is "off".
Its just a glitch in the Matrix.

I had this too, and then it went away.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a way to play Lone Echo with SteamVR?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I got "thrill of the fight" in the sale. Is there a way to influence the orientation of the box-ring (relative to my real world playing area?).

I would like the ring to be oriented in the opposite direction compared to the current setting because this would make it easier to deal with the cable.
Changing the direction of my monitor during room setup has no influence on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

LLSix posted:

I'm slowly getting my VR legs, but I still can't play for more than a half hour with smooth movement. Has anyone gotten foot tracking locomotion working yet? Maybe that'll help.
Have a look at natural locomotion. When using it, you can move by holding one of your controller buttons and swinging your arms as if you were walking. It also support jumping in game by doing a real jump.

And if you really want to go all out, it even supports feet trackers.

And they have a free demo so you can try if it does it for you.