Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SCheeseman posted:

That there is debate makes it hard to recommend hardware that may end up being obsolete in a month, if Link is considerably worse I'll edit the OP

You basically said "cosmos is total poo poo im not adding info", and theres been nothing but mixed reviews so far. Yet you added some info on WMR? Lots of personal bias in that op fan.

Debate he says.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

What do you believe is "Unknown" here, in the Steam survey?

Rift S or Index?

Rift S. Oooo Wait. I wonder if its "Headsets using things like ALVR"

Theres no way the index has anything sold over HTC/Oculus at this point

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You forgot to mention the best part. Every time you beat a level the game goes SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT.

SUPER

https://clips.twitch.tv/WrongAgreeableBunnyBloodTrail

HOT

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

This is nuts to me that we're in a new thread and people are still buying and recommending Rift S over Quest. Yeah I'm butthurt about Oculus sending scary-grams about developer mode, but still I as a Quest user it has far more utility than S at this point. Wireless tethering is *already* at acceptable latency, I can say firsthand.

Go look at comments on the Quest Link announcements and it's just pages and pages of Rift S users bemoaning their purchase decision.

Anyway like I mentioned in the last thread, buy a Quest from Walmart and it has free next-day shipping an a 90-day return window (confirmed the one I got delivered today is returnable through Jan 14th). No harm in trying it out, and see how this tethering and hand tracking shakes out next month. Worst comes to worst it's a free 3-month rental.

I think its hilarious that people are already recommending the quest over the rift s before link is even available.

Its cute really.

I get it. Its a 2 in one device now. But come on. Recommending it as the choice for PC first? Ehhhhhhh

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

It's already not clear cut that you should get an S over a Quest even if you have a good gaming computer without the link, considering the various upsides of the Quest. With the value of the link on top it makes it the clear answer for the vast majority of people. Like for anyone buying into VR right now I think the most reasonable choices are Quest or Index if money is no object.

Like all the extra information is there, Quest is just the short answer to the question of "what should I get"

But selling it as a PCVR headset, No.

I agree with it being the go to recommend for average people dipping into VR for sure.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Blade Runner posted:

I think the Quest is just going to be the best for the majority of people, and even if you feel that you only really want to do PC VR stuff, the ability to do the fully wireless and take it wherever is just too much of a utility to pass up. Want to bring it to a party, your backyard, etc.?

For reference, I have the Index, so I'm pretty on the side of "PC VR is best"

Yeah keep in mind I'm not talking poo poo on the quest. Love mine, Was in the first ad for it, bla bla. I just would never tell someone "buy this for PCVR".

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think HTC's really trying to make the Cosmos A Thing

That and viveport is the focus right now.

People underestimating it makes sense. And they need some help with focus. But yeah. Thats the goal it seems currently.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ROFLBOT posted:

The Cosmos has been out, all of 2 weeks and HTC has already acknowledged issues and pushed out at least one update. Lets at least give it some space in the OP and see how it goes...

Yep. Exactly this. I'll freely admit its not looking great and I was super excited. But hey, itll only get better.

As far as price. Yeah, HTC can't afford to lose the same kinda money Oculus can on hardware. Sucks but thats the facts. It gets better itll be worth it imo.

Still hecking waiting for mine. -_-

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it was about $200-300USD cheaper and the tracking didn't have issues, I think it'd stand an okay chance of competing against the Rift S. As-is... yeah, nah. They're really delusional about stepping to Facebook with it, especially with the Quest being able to tether now. They've got the Cosmos coming and going, for a much better service, product, and price.

Yeah but does it not deserve a mention? I mean it does have use cases. Even if the tracking is never up to my level of BS play, It should be fine for a ton of other content creation and games.

I'm still excited for it. Just, Hoping HTC keeps working on things. I mean Viveport is tons better these days. So things are looking up.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 12, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It really wasn't from watching them in use today. I didn't even set out looking to hate the thing when I saw the Cosmos today at PAX-AUS (I thought it was neat in fact), but it was just very disappointing watching them repeatedly have difficulties they shouldn't have.

I'm starting to wonder if thats why influencers haven't been getting em yet.... >_>

They know for sure the first thing I'm doing it booting up Beat Saber. <_<

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

What is better about the S for fight sims?

Zero setup outside of plugging it in and it has as pretty drat good display if you're in the IPD range for it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

As awesome as the Index looks I just have a hard time recommending it to people because of the price, especially as a first VR headset. I would never recommend it to someone starting out.

I could buy a Rift S and two Quests for the price of one Index setup. It's just so much more expensive that it really only makes sense for an enthusiast who knows they want to heavily use VR.

This is what this thread forgets.

Goons don't tend to think about non Goons and Non enthusiasts.

I'm 100% vive pro + Wireless + index controllers master race over here, I'd never swap to an index unless wireless hits. I'd NEVER recommend this setup to a normal person. Maybe people who can light money on fire, but even then, is wireless worth 1300 bucks to some people? Because thats basically the difference between the Index and my setup.

400 is cheap. Its a good entry point, and saying "oh the index is the best buy it" to most people would put a lot of them off simply due to price tag. Nicer or not.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

There are so many other HMD feature categories where the Pimax is a steaming pile of garbage (irrespective of what is good in the current class of HMDs) and the Index is best in class, the Pimax might as well not exist.
Bad things like plastic cracking under a month of normal use, PiTool causing issues with SteamVR / OculusVR (it’s not a native SteamVR device) and overall shadiness of the company it’s just not worth dealing with.

I think Bandoot really liked his. I think.

I swear he used it for quite a while.

EDIT: Not that its good. Please satan don't take it that way.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

I think he switched to an Index when they were available?

Oh yeah, Soon as he got his index he bounced off that pimax.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tip posted:

What are you gonna do for audio?

If I ever get a Quest I think I'm definitely gonna do the DAS, as it knocks out both of my biggest issues with it, and it looks like you can find it for about $60 pretty easily. Hard to beat that price for a fancy strap and headphones.

Can't wait to slap my DAS (braaaaaand new) on my quest. Printer came today so hopefully by this weekend.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So is there a way to negate VR sickness in blade and sorcery?

H3VR gives me no issues, Pavlov is fine, but for some reason B&S gives me a hell of a lot of eye strain and a bit of nausea. First game to really do it to me :saddowns:

Hows your framerate? That can send me into sicky times with smooth movement games.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

Yes, most people suggest (myself included) you go bow/caster only for Skyrim. The waggle a sword is so much less compelling than playing as Legolas or Emperor Palpetine.

I started a Dual Wield sword melee thing.

Oh boy. Wiggling down insane hard stuff with no gear was pretty hilarious. Killing things way harder than you should be able to because the game gives zero fucks and lets you just waggle waggle.

Wont lie. Its fun, But for the wrong reasons.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BMan posted:

IDK what you're talking about, the attack rate is still limited to what it is in normal skyrim

e: actually it's bows that you can machine gun as fast as you want

Since when? My (Launchish) play through (That lasted a few hours because LOL bugs) that crashed over and over begs to differ. I literally ran around just swinging wildly murdering everything in my path with pretty much no gear and basic 1h swords. So unless they added something to "prevent it" no, you can still do a manic amount of small white damage hits over and over and over fast as you can swing.

Are you referring maybe to the trigger for big swings? That is limited, But it kinda don't matter.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 16, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

spacetoaster posted:

I have people over and you really can't play VR because then one person gets to play while everyone else just does something else.

With a gaming console I just toss my buddies the extra controllers and we play a game. I think it'd be just as cool to toss them headsets so we could race cars or whatever.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/868150/Takelings_House_Party/

Sup.

Gonna leave this right here for ya.

Also apparently works with parsec.

Up to a total of 9 players? something like that.
Not enough controllers? Whatever, Download the companion app and use your smart phone.

Yeeeee VR Couch gaming your friends can join in on. WOOP

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

Oof VR sea legs really are a thing. Going to have to build this up slowly.

Yeah. And stop the second you start to feel like you’re turning sick. Don’t let your brain associate that feeling with a game or it’s ruined.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

Yeah I tried installing this calorie counter HUD thing but it wasn't working so now I've uninstalled. Going to see if it helps.

Yur? Got details on the crash? I could forward it to the powers that be

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

Yeah YUR. I tried to use it but never could get it to show up besides the brief flash when the program started. No idea if it is related to the crash but it is the only likely candidate if it is to do with an app interference. Haven't gotten to play after uninstalling it.

I Expect You To Die has been the most unstable for me.

If you end up messing with it again and find anything specific let me know. Love to forward it to Cix.

CIX posted:

Cix | YUR Yesterday at 9:31 PM
If you are having issues with the Sidequest installation, know that it requires both APK to be downloaded, and the headset to be restarted to funciton correctly.

Discord has that yesterday.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

eonwe posted:

turn off windows game mode

This. Also kill shadow play if still enabled. Hell basically all of the exp stuff kill.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 21, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

That ramped up awfully fast.

Looks fun as heck. >_>

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wolrah posted:

Here's hoping for a ~$20 sale in the near future...

Yeah without multi thats basically my high end cap for what I was willing to pay to try it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

Replaced my 1080 Ti with an RTX 2080 Ti, also replaced my OG Vive and wands with an Index and knuckles (the shipping box straight up still calls them 'knuckles') and let me tell you about the difference: freakin' huge

Welcome to the RTX Gang. Heres you're gun and badge.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

Hey everyone ALVR is fuckin' fantastic, absolutely flawless, except I have to disconnect my modem otherwise I get FPS drops and buffering issues which makes no sense, apparently my PC or Quest are doing something on the internet they shouldn't be doing. My internet went out last night for several hours, and ALVR worked absolutely perfectly and now that I have a taste for that sweet sweet wireless H3VR with zero tracking, buffering, latency or FPS issues I can't go back to wired.

I heard virtual desktop is even better.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Happyimp posted:

For the index, Borderlands looks like a horrible 360 video. It isn't 3d, and you feel like you are flying over huge controllers. Heard you had to use revive, but I have not tried it yet. Also, when you press forward to walk, you jump as well.

Basically that seems to be the deal. OpenVR is hosed, Oculus works ok for some reason, use revive on anything but a rift/rift s

IDK. They aint getting AAA money from me for it. No MP is a no sale.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cicero posted:

Thrill of the Fight is out on Quest today, here's some gameplay: https://youtu.be/p0MuU-ZJNa4

Haven't played it myself yet, but I've heard good things and will probably pick it up.

If its even close to the PC version, Its a great game. Be ready to be worn the gently caress out though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SCheeseman posted:

I'm wondering why there isn't a point-to-point option to draw a boundary, SteamVR has it but even then it's an "advanced mode".

Seriously would be nice. Crooked af lines drive me nuts and I was always using Guardian editor to fix that poo poo on PC before I ended up just full timing OpenVR and using chaperone

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So.. Pistol Whip.

Its so good. Its going to kill me. But its so hecking good.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

HTC, by contrast, has a process designed to make you give up. A lot of Vive wands had a defect where the right trackpad wouldn't click (all 4 of the wand I've owned had this issue). If a year hasn't elapsed, they'll make you look up individual serial numbers on the devices. They'll eventually approve an RMA.

Then they require you to pay for shipping (about 20 bucks per defective controller). Then they make you ship them individually.

Enterprise care is amazing. They ship first most of the time, everythings overnighted, paid both ways.

I won't talk much about consumer. But every time I get dumped into that queue and they realize its not a consumer account its sorrys and heres a label. I do know the horror stories, and I have had our dept get involved once or twice because it was really stupid.

So I guess if you can deal with enterprise, Its better. Wish consumer was better though. I get told its staffing and that might be the case since I've been dumped into the consumer queue a couple of times now.

Either way, Buy your HTC stuff from amazon.

lol #sponsored

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

The only part of the process I cited where staffing would help is reducing the time it takes for them to approve the RMA. Everything else about it is anti-consumer by design, because some jerk correctly realized it would reduce the absolute number of returns.

IDK who you know, or talk to about staffing, but thats what I get told by employees outside of that center who have to work with said people bla bla bla. It could all be bullshit, but there is a level of care there that works. I honestly think they just have a lovely system to keep track and theres not enough staff for fast turn around stuff.

Like, Doing my payroll paperwork and poo poo so they can pay me? hahahahah guys. You have no idea how backwards and old timey some of the poo poo they do is.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is MOST of the people I've met wanna help. The ONLY person whos been "hey ur shits out of warranty bla bla" and just shotgunned the whole thing was the most recent person and thats never happened like that. Normally I get someone whos semi chatty and ready to help (even when I get thrown to consumer care), but who the gently caress knows what happens after the call ends ya know?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 25, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did you set “-vrmode oculus” in the steam launch options?

right click the game in Steam > properties > set launch options > type in "-vrmode oculus" without quotes.

TBH it shouldn't matter. with that card yeah.

Reinstall Beat Saber, Don't copy your old songs back. Reinstall base mods.

Garbage collection and bla bla bla bla, sometimes it just needs reset.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

It makes no sense, because I have had the game just break performance without changing the installation or adding songs. Any "garbage collection" is memory bullshit that would get reset with restarting the game.

If you go looking for help, you'll find there's plenty of people that are complaining about framerate and performance issues past 1.2 and 1.3. With 1.4 and 1.42 poo poo was just limping along with 80-100fps and mirrors disabled, even dropping supersampling didn't help. Once I reverted to 1.3, I got my 120fps back, with mirrors enabled again and higher supersampling. Of course, that's loving fun, because Steam removed the ability to disable game updates, so I have to remember every time I want to play to go into offline mode.

If you care about scores, you should try getting 1.3 to work, if you're up for reverting. They changed hit detection on that version, resulting in better scores.

I mean. I'm going off what the coders who write major addons for said game say. Which ends up being engine limitations + garbage collection. Liiiike, have you seen some of the new wall maps? My CPU/GPU does not 100%, yet the engine cannot keep up with whats going on at times. Fun fun fun.

Keep in mind, Its my literal job to have this poo poo running well enough to not have issues. Its probably collection build up from cache saves bla bla bla. A fresh install fixes it basically for everyone unless they have deeper steamVR issues or something. And I mean fresh. No copying your old poo poo back over.

Also the IPA thing, Is a piece of poo poo. If you notice something opening and closing randomly while playing, thats what that is. Reinstall BS at that point.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

^^^ Already tried all that stuff in the past.

I've been poking around with Process Explorer at it. The game spends like 75% of its CPU time in the kernel. Why? It has no business there. This seems to be some bullshit with the Unity Engine, which most VR games on my system are using. Anything else, based on Unreal, whatever else and even Steam Home, they spent not even 10% in the kernel.

Unity is a loving piece of poo poo. Something in Windows 10 1909 is loving with it again. Or rather, it shits itself for god knows what reason.

--edit: I'm getting frame times of up to 20-22ms on a fresh reinstall of Beat Saber. With 1.0 SS and otherwise default settings.

75% cpu? What CPU?

I'm not even at 75% with LIV + Wireless + Game + OVRdrop + 6 other things.

And ya. Unity. lol

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

This sounds like typical Ryzen/Threadripper problems.

The couple threadripper machines ive captured on for MR have been fine. There was some stupid early on but it had been fine afterwards.

All I know is my poo poo never maxes out and still has engine issues at times and the only 'Fix" for any amount of time is reinstall game entirely and only move over my config after a mod and game reinstall.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

shrach posted:

The tracking is fine for beat saber, at least up to expert+, but then your hands are pretty much always in a nice easy place to see.

The tracking problems seem an issue where you need your hands close together/in front of your face like on boxing games or sometimes holding a rifle or in certain games where you need to throw things which involves your hands going out of sight. Some games can handle an action like drawing an arrow from a quiver on your back and some games really struggle with it.

I know multiple people clearing E+ with top 10s on WMR

LIke, Real E+, proper 300+ PP maps.

WMR works great. Just like the Rift S does and the quest do. Note quite as good but its enough to score on serious maps. And score well.

Hell I did tracking demos with sound boxing and art of fight back like 2 years ago and it kept up just fine. With updates and stuff, yeah WMR isnt as bad as people make it out to be. Controllers shape sucks still though.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 27, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Leal posted:

If you use custom music in Beat Saber, do the beats actually reflect the beats in the song or does it use another song's beats for the cubes?

Depends. If the maps done well by a mapper who isnt a derp, typically they are on time with stuff.

Newer maps fair better.

Also WMR chat.

https://scoresaber.com/u/76561198025285619

That guys on WMR (pretty sure thats the right guy). Top 100 world wide. 90% accuracy on a poo poo ton of maps.

Trying to remember the other persons name off hand. Theres 2 that hang out in my channel.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re custom made, often poorly. Occasionally you find a good song with rhythm and flow but too often it’s just silly and technically challenging without any groove that coincides with the music.

This is inaccurate.

Because your skill level isnt to where some of these maps need, don't mean they have no groove.

Old crap, Sure. But the crap to good ratio right now is much higher than before.
Remember. Just because you can't beat a map, and think its "hard". Don't make it a bad map. Some of the things you probably think are insane, I can literally dance and spin playing.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its whatever someone built the level chooses. Typically this means it reflects the beats in the song yeah, but some are better than others.

There's a handful of very high quality custom tracks that actually has you do the proper dance along with the music that you're supposed to do, but those take a ton of effort so not a lot of people are cranking them out.

Believe it or not, some of those faster looking maps actually dance super well. Gold Dust, Back and Forth, Hoohah, Circus, Mean Girls (yeah, you can bop to it, dont @ me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
https://twitter.com/qtpop_twitch/status/1189229134544867328?s=21

Bunch more content coming soon but holy heck pistol whip is amazing. Seriously check it out. Saq will probably be showing up to say “ya dude it’s amazing” anytime now.