Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude
Feel like those side cameras are going to be able to extend tracking to the sides and back by a huge amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Turin Turambar posted:

I forgot to reply to this:

So, controller tracking will be done now by the controllers themselves. They won't need line of sight to the headset. Occlusion issues will be a thing of the past.

Oh good point, forgot about that feature, but would still matter for hand tracking I suppose.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Very little mention of how the foveated way tracking stuff works in those reviews (unless I missed it), but maybe that just means it works really well??

Horizon does look pretty awesome, and it looks like it's going to be a huge graphical upgrade for folks that don't have a PC... Assuming it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Turin Turambar posted:

It's what I'm curious about too, is it really dynamic foveated rendering driven by eye tracking? But then again, you are going to need some other site that is more tech-savvy than Verge and Polygon for that.
I have put a few more above, but I'm finishing at work.

https://uploadvr.com/playstation-vr2-hands-on-preview/
Goes into a little more detail on this, but not much. In general it seems like it just wasn't a problem.

They also mention that the haptics are impressive and I had forgotten about the haptics in the headset itself. Feel like those haptics + spatial audio will probably lead to some terrifying jump scares.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Bad Munki posted:

LOLLLLL you can use the thing to capture "spatial" video, so I'm sure my family won't mind me wearing this at weddings and poo poo.

To repeat what others have said - Black Mirror Vibes. Its not for you to wear, its for the hired help (automatically rendering downcast, respectful eyes, no eye contact allowed) to wear while they record your great moments.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Zero VGS posted:

He compares the general build/heft to being like the AirPod Max, then goes on to suggest wearing headphones with these.

Just imagining the first Apple fanatic to don both at once and immediately have their head spiked to the floor from the sheer mass.

If I was understanding it right, you scan your face with an iphone, to get a custom cutout fit the device, so the face padding is person specific.

So, you can share it, sure, but it will be sub par for the other people by definition.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Duck_King posted:

Man, Underdogs is both fun and a crazy good workout.

https://i.imgur.com/SKrbkdh.mp4

My quest is now an Underdogs rig. I still haven't beat the first put boss, but I did at least see him today.

If you go full gorilla mode it is definitely a workout, and goofy as hell.

I was struggling with the Alpha dogs (I think) grabbing my arms, but realized I could just beat on them with the other arm - it's double effective, they take damage and let go early!

Best part is I feel like I'm working towards some flow state, where I'm smashing something, turning to knock the next one out of the air and then squaring up for a smash all automatic and smooth like. I'm sure I look stupid, but it feels awesome.

5 out of 5. Doesn't hurt that Peter Watts (of Blindsight) was "involved"

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

goferchan posted:

Huh, I don't know who that is but between your post and his post I'm sold on it. Typically I lean towards chill couch experiences so I was gonna pass, but it sounds like a nice change of pace

I think it's got that something special, and I haven't even beat the first boss. It's definitely not chill, at least the bulk of it, but it's another game where you learn things, get better, understand tricks - not as a character in the game leveling up, but as the person playing the game (fromsoft style)

The 5th time I went through the game, I had the same equipment, but I did much better because I, the player, has learned things - that's fun. I don't think I'm really at a limit because of fitness - I get tired, sure, but mostly I'm still just making simple mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

MeatRocket8 posted:

Underdogs looks like it has a very good gameplay hook. But it also looks like it suffers from typical VR game pitfalls. Repetitive roguelike gameplay to bottleneck a small amount of content. And not much enemy and levels variety. I bought it and refunded it for the Quest native version. But maybe I didn't give it enough time. Might try the steam version. Better visuals could help push me over the fence on this one.

Bought a bundle of steam VR games on sale. Virtual Virtual reality was fun, but quite brief. Duck Season has a very nice presentation, but its essentially one mini game, and I couldn't jive with the shotgun mechanics. Holding the shotgun with two hands and racking the gun was too finnicky. Gonna play The Talos Principle VR and The Falconeer next. Both are good flatscreen games ported to VR so i'm sure they'll be at least decent.

I'm not sure how small the content actually is - because I can't get past the first "level". I think there are 4 in total? Not sure, may have only released with 2 and have 4 planned (which doesn't invalidated your comment at all).

I think the PC version is suppose to look nicer for sure, but haven't seen any side by side comparisons. For me, I feel like the variety comes from learning how to handle all the same enemies - I change, even if they remain the same. But its also that I like the repetitive nature a bit because I'm also using it for a workout, so its doing double duty. I'll even go and do skirmish, which is just wave after wave with no story (palette swaps for enemies to indicate "harder", such a classic move).

What I'm hoping for is that they can stick with their road map, because it seems like they have a lot planned - and that could really improve the longevity of the game. Its just one of those where I feel like they nailed the core of things, but I can get it not being for everybody, particularly if you have a good rig for more ...extravagant things like Alyx, etc. I'm looking forward to Pacific Drive VR - don't have time now, but the UEVR injector apparently works fantastic!