Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

If you’re paying $400+ for a niche piece of hardware, “average person” really doesn’t count here. There’s also plenty of reasons to point someone to a Rift S if you know what they want to do with a VR headset.

The point is that the advantages of the Quest pull it out of the realm of niche hardware. It's easy enough to use and there's enough to do on it that I think it's finally VR that I would advocate people to get, rather than something that might be worth it depending on if you're willing to deal with the trade-offs and drawbacks of the other headsets. With the link on top, you aren't even giving up the opportunity to be able to do all the PCVR things.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Rift S is still better for flight sims, right now. It's also affordable and capable of roomscale dedicated PCVR, right now. Let's recommend Quest for those use cases when Quest Link is out, and when we're certain of its quality. Or recommend waiting.

And even with Link, S isn't outright bad. It's just worse.

It's already not clear cut that you should get an S over a Quest even if you have a good gaming computer without the link, considering the various upsides of the Quest. With the value of the link on top it makes it the clear answer for the vast majority of people. Like for anyone buying into VR right now I think the most reasonable choices are Quest or Index if money is no object.

Like all the extra information is there, Quest is just the short answer to the question of "what should I get"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Truga posted:

they had a prototype thing with a bunch of cool poo poo that would probably cost $1000 but rumours say it got dropped.

They're doing crazy research on stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCB_mfGmh9w&t=6123s electronic varifocal, but I wouldn't bet on any hardware based on this being released in a consumer package anytime soon. They seem pretty set on the idea of only releasing stuff that has mass market viability.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

In fairness the $400/500 Quest had that issue at first as well. But you have to get really dim before it gives up, and they patched in a "no tracking" mode recently to use it in bed etc.

I noticed the Quest added a "night mode" red filter like F.lux so it doesn't mess with your eyes before bed, that was a really thoughtful one related to dark use.

Not exactly the same thing, the Quest/S always worked in relatively low light, but you still needed a decent amount of light because it still needs to see features of the room in order to see. The Cosmos wouldn't work at night. Like, even with all the lights on full. If the sun was down it was too dim.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

HTC is acting totally unaware of any other products in the VR landscape. If it was closer to the price of the rift S people might be more prepared to ignore its issues given its higher resolution and physical IPD adjustment. If it was unequivocally better than the rift S then maybe at 700 it would be ok as that is still a lot cheaper than the Index. However they released a flawed product at price too high to overlook the flaws given the alternatives. GG close.

Don't they not have much choice? I thought they were like circling the drain and VR was their last hope. Like I thought they stopped making phones and stuff. They also didn't have the R&D base to be competitive in the future, which is why after initially suggesting the Cosmos would be a PC/phone hybrid they seem to have quietly dropped that second part, or pushed it far back enough to be irrelevant. My guess would be they just had to release something and they did the best they could.

Inside out tracking is really hard to do well.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are no less than two examples of camera-based tracking formats to learn from that have existed for years; Oculus Rift and WMR. This is all on them.

Well the problem is largely not the headset tracking itself, it's tracking the controllers on top of it. Things like occlusion and close to the headset tracking are the parts that you hit often enough that they need to be done well to give a good experience. I'd argue that WMR never quite hit that point in large part because they didn't expand from two cameras, but either way Microsoft still had invested a lot of R&D into that area, since they're pushing it hard for their Hololens stuff (which is one of the few hardware things that Microsoft's been successful with in a while, that and Surface I think). Oculus has also been doing a lot of research in that area, and I'm guessing they aren't too keen to share.

Like yeah they still obviously dropped the ball, but that's because if they wanted to be competitive they needed to start with the R&D several years ago instead of like, a year or two ago. I don't think they really *could* have done a good job.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I think HTC was on firm footing with building the Cosmos and intended to be the market leader in self contained VR; if they weren't first to market, they would at least have the best tech. I mean if you look at what the Cosmos does, in a vaccum, it's a miracle piece of technology.

That said, the Quest was both first to market, AND have the superior technology. The Cosmos is probably going to be a total market failure, but it is working technology, and by bringing it to market, they probably have a leg to stand on to ask for more funding and be competitive for round two.

I can't imagine that tracking on the Quest 2 will really be revolutionary compared to what's coming out this fall, and the Cosmos 2 will likely match the Quest 2, what it'll really be down to is the GPU, active cooling of the GPU, and battery life, and/or true low latency desktop wireless support

A ton of what the Quest is doing is Carmack magic that started with working on the GearVR, which became the basis for Go which is the basis for Quest. The Cosmos is still just a dumb peripheral that's completely driven by the PC; if they had phone tethering working, I think you could start making an argument for them, but, like, Oculus is doing poo poo like hand tracking using the existing phone cores that's driving the inside out tracking. It's insane. Everyone else is falling further behind, not catching up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

Am I going to regret going 64GB instead of 128 for the Quest? Most of the bigger things I'd want to install will probably just be over link, I think mainly it will just be a buttload of beat saber I play most when truly mobile.

There's a chance down the line you might need to delete some old stuff to free up space, but realistically you're not going to miss out on the 64gb, as pointed out unless you need like a shitload of movies and tv shows on the device at all time. I would absolutely recommend the 64 over the 128 unless money means nothing to you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

eonwe posted:

I'm so close to beating my first expert+ song

I believe in you

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

The Quest actually came first, that's why the Go has better optics etc. Quest was taking longer than expected so they designed and shipped the Go to fill the gap and bring something to market

Really curious to see what the Quest 2 looks like

It might have existed first but the Quest was definitely able to use software and learnings they got from a released Go.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

which one? is there an "easy" e+ song? Every now and then I go back to give one a shot and I just get immediately destroyed. You're crossing a lot more frequently and I swear the block lanes are farther / more spaced out so I start missing a ton.

TBH I think the best way to do it is to find a song you like (because you'll be listening to it a lot) and try to do the practice mode for the hard sections, and mess around with using the slow and no fail modifiers. They all seem to have sort of a rhythm or pattern to the way the harder sections work, and once that clicks and you aren't just trying to react to every single block you see it gets a lot easier.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Quests do have the ability to send player position and Guardian maps to one-another, and before Dead and Buried 2 came out they did some private demo stuff that involved shared-space multiplayer.

I'm just gonna assume the evil Facebook Lawyers are forbidding devs from doing it. They did remove the "disable Guardian" feature from the Quest in 9.0 which I'm still livid about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJXpHp_iQF4

I'm pretty certain they haven't removed it, but they did kick headsets out of dev mode, so you'll need to reenable it.

The Space Pirate Trainer guys have also been experimenting with some locational stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZXLD5jiF8

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Putting the battery on the back would probably be somewhat harder and more expensive, I'm sure there are various factors like that that make it more difficult

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Isn't superdata virtually completely pulled out of thin air? I wouldn't trust it for anything tbh

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shine posted:

Turning my controllers (and thus my weapon) to move in that direction feels like a downgrade in usability, considering that I've been side/backstepping one direction while aiming/shooting in another direction since like 1993.

TBH this is one aspect of the current crop of VR FPS games I really hate - people zipping around, zig zagging and strafing in and out of cover like they do in regular FPS games. It feels wrong for people to be that maneuverable while also being able to accurately track and shoot in something that's supposed to feel more realistic

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Kinda whack that you can't play Steam VR games, I have a few like Stand Out that I don't also have in the Rift store. I wonder if anyone will make a workaround. Maybe a sideloaded build of Virtual Desktop or ALVR could leverage the Oculus Link instead of Wifi?

Uh, what?

quote:

We previously reached out to Facebook to confirm whether you would be able to run Rift-compatible Steam content on the Quest via Oculus Link. “Yes. When you tether your Quest to your PC with Oculus Link, you will be able to operate the headset the same way you do Rift,” a Facebook representative wrote in their email response.

We’ll believe this truly when we test it ourselves, but this should mean Link would work with popular Rift-compatible Steam content such as Skyrim VR and No Man’s Sky VR. Given this response, and a tweet from the President of Viveport at HTC, it seems Link is expected to work with Rift-compatible Viveport content as well.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
They couldn't "just" move the tracking ring above the controller. The reason why the newer one doesn't feel as good is because the balance is worse whereas the balance on the original controllers was perfect. This is because the tracking ring is heavy and placed low. To put it above, without severely unbalancing the controller, they had to make it lighter and move stuff around.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You don't have "this is real life" circuits hardwired into your brain, you do have "this is a recognizable human face" circuits hardwired into your brain. I think VR is going to open up new questions in the "fantasy vs reality" space because of how truly convincing it is on a subconscious level.

I'm not arguing if you kill people in games you're gonna be a serial killer, but shooting someone in VR is fundamentally different from pressing the left mouse button to shoot someone in the center of your monitor

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hellsau posted:

I am happier playing H3VR with sausage enemies than I would be if there were humanoid enemies. If there were goofy looking robot enemies I would be happier than if there were humanoid robots. It's more fun to shoot the guns at not-people.

Totally agree with this, it's part of the reason why I'm really glad they went that direction for Stormland - it's abstract enough that it seems like you're just gonna be destroying things, rather than living entities (although these robots are more vaguely humanoid, they generally look more, I dunno, skeletal? Not like androids, more like industrial robot arms and stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKLcG5m1huA

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/BrandonJLa/status/1192864724012023808?s=09

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dongattack posted:

How much content is there in the Vader Immortal episodes? I keep reading user reviews that say like "only 30-40 minutes of content" or something along those lines.

Depends on what you wanna do. If you just run through the SP yeah that's about how long it takes, but then there's also the lightsaber dojo which has a bunch of stages and might take you a while to beat. Episode 1 is actually better in this respect (longevity), it takes a while to get good enough to beat all the levels. Episode 2 gives you force powers that are OP as gently caress and it's WAY easier to just blast through all the stages.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

See this is what I wanted to hear tbh, every vid I have seen has been swooning about it, in a sort of unnaturally over the top way.
Thanks!

To give you context, after a scripted intro scene, you are given a "quest" to talk to certain people in a tavern by walking up to them and pressing A. After you successfully do this, you are asked to go back to the bar to talk to someone. This triggers a scene transition where everything goes black and you are teleported, like, two feet away so the scripted cutscene can start.

Of course, if you accidentally walk around the trigger to initiate the "quest" you might end up in the tavern and nobody will talk to you.

Also there's a section in the tavern where a little guy tells you there's no way you could throw axes as well as he can. There's a row of axes in front of you with obvious targets to throw at. You cannot interact with any of the axes because the telegraphed minigame is not available yet.

Every time I think about what a missed opportunity that game is I get mad

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Isn’t this Oculus Games Studio motto?
See: from other suns, defector, robo recall, etc

Ehhh, not really. Robo Recall was pretty great, and there's a lot of other stuff that was very good - Unspoken, Chronos, Lone Echo/Echo Arena, and Dead and Buried just off the top of my head. But a lot of the stuff that were misses were generally earlier-ish on, during the phase where they were just trying to brute force development. I feel like Asgard's Wrath came out late enough that they should have been able to start incorporating lessons from the earlier stuff. Sanzaru also did the Marvel game, which was similarly uninspiring.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I think it depends what you're looking for in a game really.

"video gamey" mechanics don't matter nearly as much to me as having some real content. I can't take another repetitive arcade experience. Stuff like, pistol whip, beat saber, blade and sorcery, and on and on where you just are doing the same thing over and over again and theres no real game world you're playing through, or story or any progression of any kind, is beyond dead for me personally.

Its like playing space invaders or donkey kong, vs zelda. I can't stand old arcade games, and by that same measure I can't stand 80% of the VR games out.

Yeah I absolutely respect this perspective. I think that what Asgard's Wrath is trying to do was to more or less replicate a successful, high budget flatscreen game in VR. People like flatscreen games. People like VR. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's definitely got the most content out of any game released in the last long while. It's just not trying to do something that I personally care about; that doesn't make it bad, it means that it's not for me.

Edit: And to be clear I mean "missed opportunity" in the sense of doing something more innovative. I think they took the pretty safe route with it is all.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 13, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1194754916293722114?s=20

quote:

Starting this week, I’m moving to a "Consulting CTO” position with Oculus.

I will still have a voice in the development work, but it will only be consuming a modest slice of my time.

As for what I am going to be doing with the rest of my time: When I think back over everything I have done across games, aerospace, and VR, I have always felt that I had at least a vague “line of sight” to the solutions, even if they were unconventional or unproven. I have sometimes wondered how I would fare with a problem where the solution really isn’t in sight. I decided that I should give it a try before I get too old.

I’m going to work on artificial general intelligence (AGI).

I think it is possible, enormously valuable, and that I have a non-negligible chance of making a difference there, so by a Pascal’s Mugging sort of logic, I should be working on it.

For the time being at least, I am going to be going about it “Victorian Gentleman Scientist” style, pursuing my inquiries from home, and drafting my son into the work.

Runner up for next project was cost effective nuclear fission reactors, which wouldn’t have been as suitable for that style of work. 😊

nooooo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Calipark posted:

Stormland is boring as all hell. I regret spending an hour compiling the Revive patch so I could play it. Aiming and shooting alone just feels so clunky and unsatisfying. How do you mess that up in a VR game?

I think I'm just flat out not interested in whatever Oculus seems to consider a good mainstream VR experience. Asgard's Wrath and now Stormlands bored me to tears with how much they want you to just sit and stare at exhausting long winded cutscenes. I also can't really get over how interaction in both these games is clearly rooted in pancake-gaming design philosophy. I can barely interact with anything and what I can mess around with is always disappointing.

The more "hardcore" VR games like H3, Pavlov, Onward, and B&S feel like progressive and unique gaming experiences you can't do outside of VR. Even the less intensive games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are great at feeling worth the stupid amount of money it takes to get into high end VR.

But Oculus seems hell bent on shoving old school theme-park style AAA experiences into a VR package. And it feels like it might be doing the entire medium a disservice as a result instead of getting the mainstream audience to buy a headset.

wut? Did we even play the same game?

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantBitterChickenDeIlluminati

https://clips.twitch.tv/KawaiiDoubtfulSparrowBatChest

https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousFamousMartenNerfBlueBlaster

The movement is incredibly dynamic, I love climbing around, jumping off of stuff, flying mid combat, the verticality of it. It's super visceral too, with the way stuff like reloading works; either pick up a new gun entirely, or you can tear another gun apart and it'll reload any gun you're carrying of the same type (this also gives you alloy which you use to upgrade your junk).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Skyarb posted:

Same boat. Milquetoast would best describe it. I just want a game that combines all the good elements each game seems to shine at. A game with good combat that uses stormlands movement (though yes it is poo poo through revive, thanks oculus!) would be cool. As it stands I played it for a few hours and won't bother touching it again.

https://i.imgur.com/kykayV1.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/SEM0s7f.mp4

I just straight don't understand where you guys are coming from; how can you describe this as "milquetoast"? What other games are you guys playing that are this dynamic and freeform?

Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 15, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

First one. I saw that and went "ok so i can kinda climb a little like in stand out", but then you shoot some dudes that look like bullet sponges.

Second one shows some movement, but again, its boring. You basically roll up on dudes, and it takes a dozen shots point blank to kill some robots that seem to never be able to hit you like they are storm troopers.

If thats the bulk of the game in between action stuff. I kinda understand why people aint feeling it. Looks nice though if you're into that sort of thing but those clips aint helping your case fwiw.

The SMG does less damage when you hold it one handed; the tradeoff there is using extra ammo and being safer in cover in exchange for the thing dying slower. You generally either use one in each hand or hold it two handed. The grenade launcher I used on the second guy obviously does plenty of damage when held in one hand (in two handed mode it turns into a proximity mine launcher).

In the second they're stunned, which is one of the abilities that pairs well with shotguns, since it lets you get up close. Ofc to do that you expose yourself to fire from other enemies at longer distances, but in this case it's relatively early in the game (this is still part of the "tutorial" section that's about two hours in, once you clear the thing once which takes about 3 hours you get access to the larger meat of the game, where enemies increase in difficulty every week as you clear the week's resets) so it was just that main cluster of enemies. You die pretty quick exposing yourself to fire that long if there are other dudes skulking around

I think the reason people aren't "feeling it" is largely because when they aren't taking advantage of the locomotion in favor of just slowly walking across the ground. If you ignore the game's greatest strength then sure it's going to be less interesting. If I played Beat Saber exclusively on easy and complained that you just swung at one block every so often and it was boring that wouldn't really be a reasonable criticism.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

You had to explain the clips.

You don’t have to explain beat saber on easy.

I’m not saying the game is bad. Not even. I have no actual reference atm because I’m not feeling like messing with revive. But just basing it off of YOUR posts and those clips, I’d never install it.

With that said. Movement seems cool. And the coop part has me interested. 👍🏻

Uh, so what? Needing to explain something isn't inherently bad, it's trying to be a combat game with a lot of depth. That means there are going to be things going on that aren't immediately obvious. Beat Saber is a more arcade style game, they're going for different things. My point is that discounting large swaths of a game isn't reasonable.

You didn't say the game was bad, you did say it's boring. I think most people would consider "boring" to be "bad." If the game's not for you, it's not for you, nothing wrong with that.

Edit: and fwiw here's an example of when I tried to do the second thing but hosed it up and went into an area where the enemies are more spread out, I flanked myself and died. A little stronger than Stormtrooper tier

https://i.imgur.com/sUBRk1V.mp4

Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 15, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

It's OK if people don't like the game

That would be why in the quote of me I said "If the game's not for you, it's not for you, nothing wrong with that."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I mean he specifically invoked Pascal's Mugging which sort of seems to imply he knows he has a very small chance of making any actual difference, but at this point he's already done so much that why not just give it a shot? He's already a multi millionaire, why not do something he finds interesting?

On a purely selfish level I wish he'd keep working full time on VR but it's his life

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tip posted:

I just played Stormland for five hours, only stopping because my hands were super sore from using the controllers for so long.

When I came out and saw how much time had passed my mind was blown, I've had VR since the Rift DK1 but I've never spent that long inside.

It is definitely my favorite VR game.

Oh, and something I haven't seen anyone mention, the load times are insane. In a good way. I don't have an SSD but the game loads in under 10 seconds, and then has no loading screens in game (even after dying).

And when I say ten seconds, I mean, I'm literally in the game world running around ten seconds after I click the button in the Oculus launcher.

They did a similarly awesome job on the performance settings. You can pull up the settings in game, and as you change the settings your graphics update in real time.

Also, the temporal AA is really cool. It completely eliminates aliasing, to a degree beyond what I've ever achieved with super sampling. And it does it even at the lowest resolution settings, taking what looks absolutely horrible without AA and making it look fantastic. It does have some weird artifacts (especially with text) so I'm not using it, but it was really neat to play with.

It's real loving good, after you beat the "campaign" (it's really more of a tutorial tbh) some of the movement upgrades you unlock are so sick. Get the air boost IMMEDIATELY you go SO FAST

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://i.imgur.com/EDoM1H1.mp4

Stormland is so good, after you get into the post game you unlock more abilities to slot in and I'm using air dash here, it's amazing

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Calipark posted:

I just wish it had a "Yes I know how to VR please skip the first 2 hours of absolute garbo story and let me play the game" button.

I agree, if anybody is interested I blitzed through that first tutorialish section (took me 2 hours the first time I re-did it after loving up my save, 1:15 the second time) and have a clean save ready to go for the post game/weekly reset cycle section I made for someone else. It starts you with as little as possible but it's ready to go on the main bulk of the game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

I would love that and it'd make me actually buy the game whenever the oculus link stuff comes out. I have so little patience for tutorials in normal games but I lose my mind in VR ones. Especially being told how to do the same poo poo in every game.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13JQzt95NBRFzuw_7K9PtgRcyV94JzxEC/view

It's not that bad tbh, I'd recommend going through it but yeah if you can't stand it this'll get you ready to go. Put it in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\AppData\13972*whatever the rest of the numbers are* and then down to the data folder.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

wyoak posted:

How barfy is Stormlands for someone who doesn't VR much these days?

I'm relatively tolerant to motion sickness, it's broadly not barfy to me unless I'm just flying around close to stuff as fast as I can, which you won't really do by accident. If I'm trying to fly around like that I'll start noticing it a little bit after a while, but in the course of normal playing I didn't get any at all.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Link impressions: noticeably lower resolution

Uh

Everything else feels like PCVR, the tracking volume is smaller than the S but that's about it. It's beta so there are still some issues especially with things like audio (I'm getting the same issue as Nalin but it let me do the setting to mirror the desktop's audio to the Quest and that seems to work) and there's a hitch that seems to happen every so often, but I think those things will get worked out. It's good.

Played a round of Echo Arena and did some messing around in Stormland. Both were great. I put my S back in its box.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

I am really enjoying this new "VR IS A GIMKICK AND FAD AND I HATE IT" resurgence, totally unironically.

Boneworks looks incredible too!

Big same on both of these

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's no reason why you can't make a game work in both VR and on the flatscreen. Valve should probably pull a funny one by releasing the 2D mode to a potential HL3 around 2-4 weeks later, or some poo poo.

I mean... there are actually lots of reasons why this is very hard, the most obvious of which is if the game doesn't need VR why bother with it at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think it's important to keep in mind people who have motion sickness, but I agree teleport is super unfun.