Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Tea For God: Still just a proof-of-concept demo, but it has the best room-scale implementation I've tried yet. The game generates a non-euclidean complex, which tricks you into walking in circles around your living room, while it feels like you are traversing a massive labyrinth. Especially great on Quest, where you won't get tangled up in the wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

I was playing Pistol Whip for good part of the evening, and while fun, it screams 'the sequel is where the game will shine'.

-I want to reload the weapon with the dead hand, so it feels more active.
-I want civilians/targets to avoid shooting.
-I want a pair more of enemy types. Maybe someone with a uzi able to do bursts, maybe another enemy that throws grenades that you can blow up in the air/redirect shooting them.
-I want alternating paths to choose in specific points, like in some light gun games.
-While the game has different scenarios, they feel very same-y, with just different decoration. Maybe they could do something like an airport assault, with planets taking off, or a bank heist, going through rooms and vaults.
-More weapons, obviously. Maybe a shotgun to blast enemies with prejudices.
-More optional modifiers, like random enemies (it would screw the music rhythm part of the game, I know, hence as an optional thing) would be nice.

I like Pistol Whip, but I do agree that more variety would be nice. You could have, like, a shotgun that you fire in time with the cymbals, or a machine gun that perfectly matches a bitching guitar solo.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 14, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My biggest problem with the new Pistol Whip map is that it seems like they forgot to account for their own game mechanics when designing the hallway sections.

Pistol whipping someone instantly heals you, so you can get through those sections by flailing your arm wildly while getting hit by every single bullet. It doesn't make for much of a challenge.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 20, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

So if my play space is 8' by 8' and I set it to +20%, then the game will render the world to look like I'm actually working within a roughly 9'7" by 9'7" space, and if I step 2 feet IRL, I'll move about 2'5" in the game world. It's a neat way to make your space feel larger than it is, and in my experience, using a smallish multiplier did not give me any motion sickness or make it feel super obvious that the game was "boosting" my movements. You can set the scaling to as high as +100% (i.e. double the perceived size of your play space), though setting a high multiplier might gently caress with you, as it will be easier to perceive that you're moving "faster" in the game than you are IRL. And even if you don't consciously perceive it, your brain still may not like it.

I am impressed by how well this worked for me. I cranked the scaling to 100% and it only took my brain 5 minutes to acclimate, to the point where movement felt unnaturally sluggish after I removed the headset.

I hope more games start experimenting with this kind of locomotion because this pretty much solves VR movement for anyone with a non-trivial playspace.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wyoak posted:

Moss is a cool cute seated game

I found that Moss actually worked a lot better when I treated like a room-scale game and walked around the little dioramas, finding secrets hidden behind corners. The game tells you not to do that, but it's way more fun.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

imo I like even more being normal size and looking at extremely tiny things. diorama scale has real power

Have you tried Fisherman's Tale?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Based on the first hour or so this is an instant recommend for a chill, seated platforming puzzler and a nice nonviolent charming game for kids and grammas and stuff who wanna try it out.

I've mentioned this before, but the game is actually much better if you get off the chair and walk around the dioramas. You are not supposed to do this, but it works great, and there are a bunch of hidden stuff I have no idea how you are supposed to find otherwise.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else tried "Dear Angelica" on Oculus Quest?

I thought you were supposed to be able to walk around the drawings, but the Quest version seems to be 3DOF. Unless I am missing something, it's just a direct port of the Go version.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

It's pretty explicitly just a VR movie.

Yes, but the Rift version allows you to move around and look at the scenes from different angles. On Quest, you can't even lean in for a closer look because it only tracks 3DOF. Unless I am missing a setting somewhere, that's pretty disappointing. It would have been a good demo app otherwise.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Penpal posted:

I don't feel any discongruity with stylized VR graphics.

I actually find stylized graphics more immersive in some cases because it feels like I am walking around a papier-mâché set. Attempted photorealism makes the resolution problems much more apparent.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 17, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just tried Virtual Desktop streaming as well, and I am amazed at how much it has been improved. I remember it running like poo poo when they first introduced it, so I just kinda gave up on it.

I am currently playing Half-Life: Alyx on a below spec PC, streaming to my Quest across a mediocre router, and it runs amazingly well. There is just the slightest bit of jitter on rare occasions.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

So final verdict, Virtual Desktop is very cool but I guess between my router and less than state of the art PC specs, it's just a little too wobbly to really be able to use. One day hopefully.

Did you set your router to use 5ghz? I have an old PC and a mediocre router, and Alyx ran great once I had the router correctly configured.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What are you supposed to do when you run out of ammo in Half-Life Alyx? There is no melee damage, and the zombies are blocking my path.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

If you're running out of ammo in Alyx try aiming :smuggo:

I panic whenever I see a headcrab and empty an entire clip into the air. The animation when they are eating your face just feels way too real.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Apparently, the latest Alyx update introduced an issue where some players, myself included, can no longer load any of their saves. Trying to do so just dumps you back to the title screen.

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Moss - Only played for 15 minutes but this game just oozes charm. It has beautiful music and a very pleasant fairytale presentation and the most adorable little mouse companion. Your job is to guide her through diorama like 3D levels by controlling her (move, jump, swing sword, etc) and using your magic/ghost/whatever powers to affect the environment (pull blocks, open doors, heal her). The game says it is meant to be played sitting, but I constantly wanted to reach out and stand up to see more of the levels. I've read it is short and probably doesn't have a ton of replay value, but it is on sale for $15 which seems fair.

I find that Moss is actually a lot better if you treat it like a room-scale game and walk around the dioramas, looking for secrets. I have no idea why the game insists it should be played sitting; the environments look great from all angles.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just finished the Pistol Whip campaign, and that was great! The burst fire pistol was a pleasant surprise, and it was good to finally see a proper boss fight. I hope they make more missions like that in the future.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 3, 2021

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pistol Whip tip: The game only tracks your head, so you don't actually have to dodge anything with your body. Similarly, with the approaching columns, you don't have to step aside: just squat and look around the column, letting you legs phase through.

I mean, maybe this was obvious to everything else, but I only just now realised it. I used to jump around like a madman, constantly exiting the active zone and having to unpause the game.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

VR game connected to a deep learning chat app where you can have conversations with AI (with a shitload of lag)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xptRECNsZAs

Can this be downloaded anywhere?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Faux Mulder posted:

They'll both look a bit better on a capable PC, but Superhot is pretty sparse graphically anyway and has no online stuff, so I'd advise getting that one at least on VR, if only because it's a great demo game if you ever want to take your Quest on the road and show it off to somebody else.

https://uploadvr.com/superhot-vr-new-life-quest/

I believe Superhot is genuinely better on Quest because they remade it to take advantage of the fact that you aren't tethered. The PC version was build on the assumption that you will get tangled up in the wire if you turn around too much.

Superhot Team posted:

In the old versions of Superhot, there were pyramids placed in the center of the play space that would put players back in the center where they need to be and facing the correct way to be right in the middle of the action for the next sequence. And considering these were headsets that worked with front-facing experiences directly before cameras or sensors, such as Oculus Rift and PlayStation VR, it was easy to calibrate the next level for players.

Not so with Quest. Walking and moving meant the old system would result in players looking at a wall. So they added two systems. The game automatically rotates to ensure that when the next scene begins, players are facing the correct way so they can just spring into action. The game also automatically centers the next level to where the player is standing, so they are in the correct place at the start—usually within grabbing distance of a weapon.

“The auto-rotation is because we don’t have a wire, we don’t have the constrained play space, we don’t have to care if the user is facing forward,” Thompson says. “So whatever way you are facing, the next level loads up facing you. We know where the center is because of this absolute positioning, because the Quest has mapped out the room you are in. So we didn’t really care if you were in the middle of the room or if you were facing the right way. It’s just a much more seamless experience.”

I am not sure if they ended up porting any of these improvements to PC.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 7, 2021

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SetSliRol posted:

RE: VR fuckups I will always remember playing H3VR and trying to place my video game guns onto the real life table that I knew was in front of me only to watch them fall to the ground.
I will also remember using my phone in real life and dropping it, expecting it to return to the inventory slots on my waist only for it to also fall to the ground.

I was playing Scanner Sombre and dropped one of my controllers on the floor. So, I took off the headset and spent several seconds trying to scan my dark living room before I realized why it wasn't working.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Quest 2 is sold again in shops (128gb model), it places behind Xbox and PS digital bux, but above the Nintendo bux

I wonder how many of those are people just trying to reach Facebook support:

https://twitter.com/shannonpareil/status/1422308916654870530

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I tried the newest version of Tea for God on App Lab, and it's actually a game now, rather than a glorified tech demo. There is voice acting, a rudimentary plot, and a character upgrade system. Still pretty simplistic, but I can't wait to see what it will be like when it's done. This is still my favorite room-scale implementation of any game.

I also tried traVRsal, which uses the same movement system, but that feels like even more of a tech demo than early TFG. Pretty cool, but basically just a collection of simple obstacle courses. Still, the graphics are superior to TFG, so it has potential.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The strength of video games in general, and VR games in particular, lies in environmental storytelling rather than traditional linear narratives. If we must compare them to traditional artistic mediums, they have more in common with installation art than with books and movies. A lot of immersive art installations are basically real-life video games.

I think games should focus on finding ways to tell stories and communicate ideas through environmental details and interactions.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Eyes Have It posted:

How about that! I didn't know it had its own plot and different levels, etc.

I kind of wish they had included the actual plot from the PC version in the VR game, though. I looked it up later, and that would have been an interesting experience.

Superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I went to the National Museum in Copenhagen yesterday and had a chance to try a state-of-the-art 17th century VR headset. Next time, I'll get a proper video and do a review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Well, at least you got the through-the-lens shot, that's the most important thing. No screen door effect?

None whatsoever! Technology has regressed in many ways.