Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hi VR thread, back around the Quest launch, I started putting together a coded and curated list of a lot of the popular recommended games that come up a lot. I quickly forgot about updating it, however if theres anyone more tech savvy than myself that knows some way to host the spreadsheet in such a way as anyone could edit it to recommend stuff to add to it, it might be a useful thing to point to for people jumping into VR for the first time. I tried to make it easy to read for broad categories and the status of the games availability.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/191p4aTHrXGtisYWZTMSt-hlftDfmbMN2iIXjSlObdgg/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

veni veni veni posted:

Image in the OP gave me a good hard laugh.

I keep bouncing around on whether or not to get a quest. I wish there was somewhere I could demo one. In the end I think I'll still wait for something else to come along or finally cave and buy a new PC, cause only having a PSVR, my biggest issues with it are still visual fidelity and desire for a bigger library. Neither of which is something I think the Quest will address. Having useable controllers would be a huge plus though.

Well, the one benefit with the quest at least is if do eventually get a new PC you can use it on there as well. Though, the quest itself is never going to have better visual fidelity than the PSVR unless you've got a PC to link it to.

I dunno, if theres nowhere to test it, you could order one from somewhere with a generous return policy to just give it a spin and decide.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

wolrah posted:

Google makes it official, Daydream is dead: https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/15/google-discontinues-daydream-vr/

I don't think anyone's really going to be shedding a tear for this one in the era of Quest. Did it ever get anything significantly more than just being a cleaned up Cardboard experience?

What an absolutely unexpected development. Who on this earth could have predicted google would drop support for something? I am stunned and shocked. Thankfully this is most likely a one time thing, and my google stadia games will be safe and supported forever.

Seriously though, where does this put the all in one market? Daydream was the usable option out there for 3rd parties, like the lenovo mirage, that new 6dof controller kit, and an established library and store. Without daydream every samsung, lg, or whever that wants to get into stand alone VR at some point (not saying its popular enough yet for a bunch of people to want to jump in), will have to produce their entire VR software stack from scratch. Thats a crazy burden that really limits it.

If you asked my 3 months ago, I would have thought we would most likely see a samsung daydream 6dof stand along, a lenovo mirage 2, and maybe even a google reference design popping up in the next year. Now I don't know who could just jump into that market easily. HTC are the only ones really left with their vive focus, but they haven't said anything about updating that, and it was already really high priced. The cosmos has I guess that potential sort of, but asking someone to not just buy a 700 dollar headset, but own an HTC phone (who the hell owns an HTC phone anymore?), and plug it into that, with all the battery drains and thermal throttling of a phone problems intact.

I'm really wondering who in the next year can even come out with any competing product to the quest? Maybe Sony makes a psvr2 thats stand alone and able to plug in, but thats not coming out next year any way.

I'm not surprised google would cancel something, but this really all but secures oculus as the only game in town for the foreseeable future. (yes things like the pico neo and stuff exist but they're so unknown and small as to really be ignored)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Owlbear Camus posted:

I guess I'll give it another go. Is there a nice bundled package of model, shader and texture mods to make it prettier?

No bundle i know of, but theres some guides:

This has a list of the VR specific things https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nvhqSMb6DfE434COZzFTVJ71E12qluKfGtOtdwrsRU0/edit

and this is a good list of general mods and guides for skyrim: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qbh7GE30xLyso7MA6u3xpNJNdL5r2V2WP8SjZ4VpHLQ/edit

sorry if the last is a bit like giving you homework, but once you've spend a semester studying the course material you should be ready to mod skyrim.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

peter gabriel posted:

I am super interested in this too, I have a Samsung 360 camera and it rocks, but I'd like an easy way for people to 'be inside' the vids in a Rift easily, I have some live music videos I'd love to share to pals
The only thing I have found so far is re uploading to Youtube direct from the editing software I have, but that kinda sucks

Have you tried using Skybox theatre? I think it does 360, alternately I used virtual desktop to view my 360 pictures and movies, it plays then natively.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SCheeseman posted:

I've been looking at getting another Vive Deluxe Audio Strap as mine is currently shared between my Vive and Quest, it's getting pretty dry out there though. HTC has probably stopped manufacturing them and the Quest's popularity is likely causing the existing supply to disappear. If you want to make a frankenquest I suggest you get on it now.

I mean, come November, you should be able to just retire the Vive and use the quest for both mobile and pc, no? Seems like a bit of a waste to buy another das right now.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

spacetoaster posted:

Got my Quest this afternoon.

The whole family loves it and I don't know how we're not going to murder each other over play time on it.

I did the Wal-Mart with the 90 day return window and when I picked it up the dude said the quest has been selling like crazy at our small town walmart. Has oculus released any sales numbers?

In addition to the charades game linked, you might want to check out this for family fun times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP29BxhvHfc

Basically one person is in the quest, and the rest of the family is on their phones/tablets trying to score against the person in the quest. Never played it so I can't say how it is, but it looks nice, and is one of the few asynchronous VR living room games along with that charades game and Keep Talking and No One Explodes (which is also really fun).

As far as sales numbers, they haven't said anything official beyond "selling as fast as they can make them", and developers reporting record sales on the quest compared to other platforms.

spacetoaster posted:

Alright! Thanks.

Now, if they'd just add support for multiple headsets so we could all watch movies together. And pair up to play a doubles game of beatsaber and break every lamp in the house.

I mean as Zero said you could all join bigscreen and watch together but, lol as long as everyone is living in the same house that seems a bit nuts to do

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SCheeseman posted:

I want it to be more viable for third parties to create aftermarket headstraps for the Quest. Not sure when or if that could happen, but the greater choice would be really nice.

Technically theres nothing at all preventing 3rd party straps for the quest now, what with the quest strap just being rubber and velcro. It can be removed in a completely non destructible and reversible way. HTC could rebrand their delux audio strap, and pack it with some velcro or something like those 3d printed adapters to snap it on.

If the Quest continues to sell well, I suppose I wouldn't be super shocked if someone eventually came out with a 3rd party strap? Its still probably a good bit of work though as it is with VR user numbers. We're not quite to the point of mad catz jumping in with cheap lovely aftermarket parts.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well yeah, i don't think they ever would I'm just saying in theory theres nothing that would prevent them from doing so, mechanically, with the quest.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think it depends what you're looking for in a game really.

"video gamey" mechanics don't matter nearly as much to me as having some real content. I can't take another repetitive arcade experience. Stuff like, pistol whip, beat saber, blade and sorcery, and on and on where you just are doing the same thing over and over again and theres no real game world you're playing through, or story or any progression of any kind, is beyond dead for me personally.

Its like playing space invaders or donkey kong, vs zelda. I can't stand old arcade games, and by that same measure I can't stand 80% of the VR games out.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm split on this. While it might be a kick in the balls for non-VR users, the effort they finally managed to bring up to create a game again, I sure would have liked it to have gone more to finishing the goddamn Halflife trilogy.

Then again, there's still the question how much of a game HL:A will be, anyway, in terms of hours of gameplay. Or gameplay itself for that matter.

I'm going to say ~2-3 hour experience, and some arcade shooting range or something mode in it too for replay ability. Some kind of 'gravity gloves' to explain away being able to pick up stuff from a distance, teleport locomotion movement through some aperture portal mini device thing. Physics puzzles that involve picking up and stacking things, no complicated weapon mechanics like h3vr/onward, etc, climbing featured.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pixelate posted:

‘Flagship VR game’ kinda suggests a bigger campaign than that I reckon. Guess we’ll see.

(For all we know right now we just play the lifecycle of a face crab...)

Still, I for one am excite!

If theres one thing you should do in the VR world, its temper your expectations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Leal posted:

Is there a blacksmith VR game yet?

Some games with like, simple minigames, but no, no dedicated blacksmithing game i've ever heard of.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Taintrunner posted:

I’m proud to announce StadiaVR,

Sure could use that negative latency!

EDIT: There was a neat article I saw today going in deep on how the oculus link works and what its doing under the hood. Interesting if you like technical stuff.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/h...ine-aadt_112219

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 23, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TVs Ian posted:

I'm hoping somebody puts up the deal a couple of days early. I've got family coming on Thanksgiving, and I'd love to have a Rift S setup working by then.

Maybe buy it best buy before hand, then go there on black friday to 'return' it for the discount and try to get them to just give you the $50 discount, and if they won't just return it and rebuy it? dunno

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

pootiebigwang posted:

Alright new issue with the link. How do i reset my place in the world? There have been more than a few instances where I load a game and I am in the ground (Blade and Sorcery) and I can't seem to figure out how to make my settings right and make it where I am standing and not crouching. My Quest settings seem fine, it's only when I am playing a Rift/Steam VR game that I have this issue.

Is it happening to you in native rift stuff, or only steamVR stuff? Because its an issue i've had a few times using a rift since 2016, but only with steamVR stuff (theres a floor fix thing in advanced settings mentioned above). If its happening with native oculus stuff, then it might be some link issue.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

bobua posted:

Just got the quest. Has anyone done magic casting right? I saw some indie dev made what I think is a non-vr game a while back where you just walk around effing things up casting magic. Looking for a single player experience.

"The Wizards" is a single player experience where you, well, cast magic. Journey of the Gods is mostly mele and bow combat, but theres also magic powers and stuff you get as well, sort of kind of a cut down zelda type game a bit. OrbusVR is definitely *not* a single player game, but its worth mentioning since its the only MMO out on the quest (cross play with PC), and you can obviously play as a wizard class and cast spells.

If you have access to a vr capable PC however, you can also look into some more things. The Mage's Tale is a dungeon crawler single player game, about 10+ hours, tons of secrets, mixing and creating your own spell combinations and is definitely worth a look if you want a single player experience. Also on PC if you catch The Unspoken on sale, it has a single player campaign, though is primarily a multiplayer game, and has really fun mechanics for spell casting but, its also pretty limited in gameplay other than the spell casting.

EDIT: Oh, worth mentioning on PC as well I guess, skyrim VR (with lots of mods) is the same old skyrim but in VR, however it can be fun roasting people with your hands and such.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

AndrewP posted:

You know I would be way more into Elite if they added a virtual cockpit for Oculus. I don't feel like hauling out the HOTAS, like... ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndIan0YCL-I&t=297s

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9fgl8p/elite_vr_cockpit_open_source_steamvr_overlay_with/

I've never tried it personally but, certainly looks interesting.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

Some notes after playing some hours with the Quest:
-It’s really important how the device rest on your face and how it’s adjusted to your head, as it affects both comfort and potentially visual clarity.
-I wish the battery would be longer. Not like “I wish it would be twice as long!”, I know that cannot be done easily, but I wish it was at least 20% longer. Sometimes I think “is it already this low!?”

You might want to consider picking up one of those portable battery packs/chargers. Its a pretty common thing people have done, you take one of those, strap it to the rear of the headset with some velcro or something and plug it in, greatly increasing the battery life. It also has the bonus of distributing the weight of the headset more evenly.

Turin Turambar posted:

-I don’t know how the hell there is no button to activate the pass-through cameras!

This functionality is on the desktop (which means when using link you shoudl be able to double tap the oculus button to activate it on demand), but they've said they're adding it on demand to the quest as well, they just haven't implemented it yet. Might see it in one of the next few updates.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

explosivo posted:

I haven't purchased a Quest yet but I am strongly considering blowing some portion of my Christmas bonus on one. My main concern is that I'm a fat sweaty pig, and I had some, uh, issues when I borrowed a friend's Vive for a weekend. How do other fat, sweaty goons deal with this problem with the Quest? Are there replaceable/machine washable headbands or something? Public VR spots basically use like a toilet seat cover for the eye hole right?

There is a company, vrcovers that sells replaceable face covers for differnet headsets, made of different materials depending on what you're looking for. A lot of people swear by them.

If for some reason you do want disposable covers, for yourself or guests, or whatever, yes, you can get them as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Linhuipad-Sa...74730118&sr=8-6

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

GlyphGryph posted:

I

My most hours on record is Battle Brothers, Xenonauts, Terraria, FTL, then Subnautica.

You know, if you haven't tried it you should take a look at "from other suns". It's basically a copy of FTL in vr. Random each time, flying to the right to get home and outrun people chasing you. Random encounters along the way, shops, recruiting new crew, managing damage to your ship, combat is almost a copy of it, etc etc. The big difference is it's first person, so you control combat and navigation, ships systems etc from the bridge, but can walk down the hall to repair your shields personally if you want. If people beam over you can fight them off, beam over to their ship, or teleport down for away missions. Also has a sort of looter shooter aspect to the weapons where there randomised and lots of different types.

I'm not saying you'll necessarily like it because you like FTL, but it's also multiplayer, and I've had a blast with friends in a lot. It's worth taking a look at at least if you've never seen it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I picked up a quest because uh, fuckit, and I picked up beat saber to go with it. A couple things I've learned so far, as someone who has never used VR before:

1: Getting the headset on right is actually a lot harder than it would seem. Might just start tying random stuff to the back of my strap to counterbalance this thing.
2: Do not use bluetooth headphones with it, it will render beat saber (and I'm guessing other stuff) totally unplayable.
3: I am getting a bit of queasiness, but generally only when I'm in menus. Once I started beat saber and got into the game, I did a good 10 songs without a break, no problem. I'm guessing the queasiness is probably related to needing new glasses and my headset still not feeling quite right. My old glasses are also only barely small enough to fit in it, but that's not a big deal.

I'm gonna stick with beat saber for awhile, since I feel like I would start projectile vomiting if I jumped right into something like stormlands, but it also doesn't feel like I'll never get there. Just gotta get used to it.

edit: oh and I wish the guardian had a ceiling option to it, I smacked my hand into my ceiling fan hard while doing some of the lightsaber training in vader.

A popular thing for comfort as well is to put a band around it, vertically, at least a couple friends swear by it. Theres a couple companies i think that sell them but... you could also just wrap something around pretty dang easy.

As far as queasiness, a lot of it is getting used to it (don't push yourself if you start feeling sick, just take a break and come back to it or you'll make it worse), but you might want to also double check you have the IPD set right as well.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hadlock posted:

I was going to test out using my quest on the plane

How painful is it to pair the Quest with BT headphones

Also if I want to watch a movie, what services offer offline viewing? I think Netflix did at one point

I've used my Go on planes a lot, and its a great experience. Putting in a theater environment and watching a movie is a nice mental sigh of relief from feeling cramped next to people looking at a tiny screen on the chair in front of you.

Your best bet is 'skybox', its just a media player so you'll need to put the video files on the device yourself (if you're on a network it can read across a network as well). It will play any file types you throw at it, works great for all formats of 3d movies, subtitles, timing, all that, with a few different environments that do correct lighting from the screen.

I don't know if any of the official video streaming apps allow downloads though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Outside of all the discussions of the ethics or whatever, I wonder if Sony buying Insomniac didn't shake them a bit. Considering all the work they did with insomniac previously including their big current release, and how there now won't be any more insomniac games outside of PSVR. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in discussions with Ready at Dawn and some other studios that would be on Sony's radar, right now.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Bee posted:

Would the 64 or 128 gigabyte version of the Quest be better to get? The lack of a microSD slot and impending release of bigger games like Alyx makes me worry 64 gigs might not be enough, but from the sound of things any of those big games would just be on the computer and connected via Oculus Link anyway. Would that be correct?

Yeah, Link is just treating the Quest like a 'dumb' peripheral where your computer is doing everything. The one kinda sorta thing is any PC games that also feature cross buy with the Quest you would need space if you want to use it on the quest away from your PC, but thats not really any different than any old quest game running locally. Most of the Quest games are fairly small, not sure if there are even any yet over 2gb in size

The bigger reason to have more space is if you want to store a lot of media on it, especially 3d movies or things like that.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ready at Dawn seems like a hard lock to me too, because Echo Arena's been a big deal for the Oculus storefront since it launched. I'm trying to think who else might be on their radar, and my guesses would be Schell Games (I Expect You To Die) and maybe SuperHot Team. I kinda worry VRChat might be too, but I think it's probably waaay too open-source for their tastes. Plus Facebook Horizon functionally achieves what they'd want from a social platform far better.

Shell games is a good call, I think Senzaru is a good bet as well since Asgard's Wrath got such a great response and they've worked with them a bunch. SuperHot maaaaaaybe, but I'm not as sold on them for some reason. Twisted Pixel, and Gunfire Games have both done several projects with oculus, though I'd put higher wages on Twisted Pixel than Gunfire, since the latter had some bigger games outside of VR recently like Remnant: from the ashes, and Darksiders 3. VRChat, I think is a huge hard no, I don't even think they would want to absorb big nude anime tiddy land.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Delta-Wye posted:

It's the same thing for artificial movent. A few early hw devs exploring VR were very sensitive and really pushed teleport and 3dof solutions under the assumption that artificial locomotion was unsolvable.

I don't think this is really anything like Microsoft being dumb about VR. In this case no one literally had any idea what to do, if anything artificial locomotion was the original default back in early DK days because, why would you do anything else? Then people were saying no, teleport around, valve saying never do artificial locomotion and just use roomscale, rearrange the game world to your physical space, travel to nodes, free locomotion, pull yourself around, etc etc. It wasn't a case of the old people holding it back but people throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck. Within the first year of commercial release for example, oculus studios games did everything from classic 3rd person adventure, fixed in place games, free locomotion with a thumbstick, free teleportation, node teleportation, and pulling yourself around. That doesn't even get into all the indie and other games during that first year alone.

Microsoft is just idiots.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Almost Smart posted:

I think I want a VR system for Christmas, but I'm kind of torn on what to get between a Rift S and Quest (I'd opt for an Index if I didn't have to gently caress around with base stations, but alas). A lot of online reviews say the S is redundant now that the Quest can connect to the PC, but I'm really only interested in using it tethered and it sounds like the S still offers a superior user experience in this regard. Should I just hold off until Valve refreshes the Index with inside out tracking?

They won't release an index with inside out, not this generation of it at least.

As far as rift vs. quest, purely hooked up to a PC, yes the Rift S has better image quality, better ergonomics, wider camera coverage, and an uncompressed signal. However, it has a fixed IPD (distance between your pupils), so if your measurement is significantly different from around 63.5mm, you could potentially have a less than optimal experience. The Quest on the other hand has an IPD adjustment so it can adjust to your measurement and this alone could make it the better choice depending on your body. The other potential is while you're only interested in tethered, you doooo still get the option of bringing it over to a friends, taking it on a plane, watching movies in bed or playing something in your living room if you ever felt like. Like, the option is there, and any games you pick up that have crossbuy you'll have the portable version as well by default, and thats not nothing since its the only device that exists right now where you can do that.

Still, if you aren't a hammerhead shark, and you have 0 interest in ever using a portable VR setup, then yeah, absolutely the rift S is the better device of the 2.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The Odyssey+ is on sale right now for just $230 so I picked one up but the op says it sucks bad? Did I make a big mistake? Are all my friends gonna laugh at me come VR Game Night? Goons help me regret my purchase before it arrives

Thats a really good price, and theres nothing wrong with the odyssey, its just not as good as a Rift S for $350 due to a much much smaller tracking area for the controllers due to only having 2 front cameras, worse controllers in general (ergonomics, button layout, etc), and the big question in the air of how much support microsoft is going to keep putting into WMR since it feels pretty dead.

It does have an adjustable IPD which the rift S lacks, which can be a deal breaker if you have very narrow or wide eyes, and it has a better built in audio solution, not to mention you're getting it for over $100 dollars less.

Its definitely the best of the WMR headsets by far, its just... lagging a bit in its ecosystem and older design.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fooma posted:

Just grabbed a Quest, link cable is back ordered through next week though. Been using PS4VR for a while so curious how it compares.

How can I tell what is a cross-buy from the quest/rift store? I'm going to grab some basic show-off games from the Quest store, and link to the main games like Asguard's wrath. I may have missed it from the OP, is the vive store able to be used with the occulus? I remember it working the other way around.

It should show on the store page for a game if it supports cross buy. I know it does in the website store, I assume it would in the app or in device. Yes, steam and viveport both work just fine with the rift/quest.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chinook posted:

Had a bit of Amazon credit so I had to order the Quest there, but it won't ship until 12/8. Bummer.

In the meantime, what's the preferred cable I should grab for the Link beta?

If its not shipping until 12/8, you may just want to wait and see if info on the release of the official cable hits before then?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

HycoCam posted:

Have tried to go back a few pages--but there is a lot to figure out with these VR googles. Played with a Quest over Thanksgiving and the walk around was pretty cool--but the majority of my gaming, I'd think, would be sim-pit stuff--racing, War Thunder, Elite:Dangerous type stuff

If I get the Quest and use the PC Link cable--that would allow the Quest to play all my PC games, same as the Rift S--but with an option to go wireless and play a different catalog of games? The Quest also has higher resolution than the Rift S. But I guess my question would be--is there a speed difference? If I have i7/1060 gaming rig--would the frames in driving/flying be better with a tethered Rift S than a PC linked Quest? Or would they be the same? And to that end--what is the value in the 128GB Quest over the 64GB--is it the ability to hold more games? Or does it allow more to load/shorten the change scene time? i.e. When I played Vader Immortal, had to wait in the dark for a bit between scenes. (And is it something that can be added with an SO-DIMM from Amazon?)

And while asking questions you guys have probably been repeatedly answering in the lead up to Black Friday. Oculus vs HTC vs Valve. If I had a grand to drop Valve Index is the best option currently on the market, but is tethered? The certified Pre-Owned VIVE is comparable to the Rift S? The Cosmos is a better tethered VR than the Rift S? And last question--the Vive's can all be made wireless for $300--but the HTC version of truly wireless requires a gaming PC to be in the room, right?

Thanks for any direction. Have a PS/4 VR now. Whatever I get will be an upgrade. Watching people try VR for the first time with the Quest was pretty cool, I have to say. Took about two minutes to get people gaming and having fun. But as cool as it is to whip out VR at a gathering, I'd hate to give up performance, especially if it meant I have the same issues as I have the PS/4 VR--about thirty minutes and my brain would rather be somewhere else.

-Quest with Link allows you to play all your PCVR games.
-A good amount of the quest games that run on the headset itself, are also on the PC, and a majority of them feature cross buy. So for example you buy "robo recall" on the quest, you can play the PC version as well, and vice versa. Note, not every game has crossbuy, its up to the discretion of the developer.
-The Quest has a higher resolution than the rift S, but quality wise the Rift S uses RGB strike, as opposed to pentile layout, so it actually has more subpixels and clarity. The Quest is also softening the far edges of the image to compress it, while the rift S is uncompressed.
-What performance difference there is I can't say, its likely not much. The Rift S has a higher 80hz refresh rate, while the Quest has a 72hz refresh.
-The size differences in the Quest is just over internal storage. If you want to watch a lot of 3D movies and stuff on flights or what have you, and don't like having to uninstall and reinstall stuff down the road to make space, thats the only time you'll really get big value from the larger size.
-Yes, if you're going to drop a grand, get an Index. (if you want to drop $6,000 get an enterprise XTAL HMD :v: )
-Don't buy a pre owned vive. Its much lower resolution, especially with RGB/Pentile difference, its lenses are much worse, more pain of a setup, and its controllers far worse. The only real exception is if you get it dirt cheap, and even then you'll probably want to spend $300 on the knuckles controllers and at that point... just get an Index to start with.
-Don't buy a Cosmos. Its at a real bad price point, has serious tracking issues, and the controllers eat batteries like candy. Maybe they'll fix its issues, change its price and it will be a good buy, but right now, all signs point to no, and just avoid it.
-The transmitter has to be in the room/line of sight with you for the HTC wireless due to bandwidth. Pretty sure you can extend the transmitter to some extent though.
-There is a 3rd party app to allow Quest wireless PC streaming through your wifi network. This is a 3rd party app though, its entirely dependent on your home network, and its latency is worse than the wired solution. Don't buy a Quest with the idea of using it as a wireless PCVR headset, its just a fun extra to play around with and some people like.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

HycoCam posted:

This is kind of what I was thinking. All clear now!

Doh!

By separate library, I'm thinking Xbox vs PS/4 type thing. When I buy a title through the Quest wireless store--where else can I play the game?
There is no Steam app inside the Quest, right? No Facebook and Valve agreement kind of thing? Because it seems, unless the Quest is tethered, you'll need a license for any game you wanted to take on the go, correct? But I think you did clear up one question--if I buy something like Beat Saber through the Oculus store and owned both a Quest and Rift S, I would only need one license to play tethered to a PC or wirelessly?

My first buy would probably be Dirt Rally 2.0. But I'm not seeing DiRT in the Oculus store. Which I think means there is no playing DiRT wirelessly? My options to play DiRT would be to acquire a PC license from either Oculus for $60 or Valve for $18, at which point I can hop in the sim pit and play with the Rift S out of the box. If I wanted to play via the Quest, I'd need to buy the PC Link cable.
And here is where I get a little lost.
#1 The PC Link cable isn't available yet--so until it is, there is no playing DiRT on the Quest.
#2 When the cable does become available, the Rift S and Quest are both streaming what the PC is running--so the frames and the resolution match what the PC is pumping out, correct? Or does the tethering matter? The Rift is streaming via HDMI at up to 18Gbps while the Quest is showing in the specs it is 5Gbps on USB-C 3.0 (Not quite clear if the PC has USB 3.1 if the PC Link cable supports 10Gbps) i.e. how much does the data transfer rate matter with the streaming?

Thanks again for the education.

e: reading the posts since I started writing this one--and they are answering lots of these questions!

Thank you so much for this--great info. Thanks too EbolaIvory, Lemming, and Taintrunner. Feel way better about understanding the options than I did a few hours ago.

-The games on the Quest that support cross buy with PC, is specificially cross buy with the PC oculus rift store. Theres no method to cross buy from other sources, though theoretically maybe a dev if they wanted to could offer keys to people who bought there game somewhere? In either case it hasn't come up yet and probably won't.
-The games you can play "wirelessly" on the Quest, means that they were specifically rewritten to run on the ARM cpu inside the Quest, so if its not on the Quest store, through SideQuest (an unofficial portal for side loading games), or something you've made yourself, it won't run on the Quest's built in hardware. DiRT is exclusively a PC game and there is next to 0 chance the developer puts in the massive work to make a game like that run on an ARM SoC. For things like that, that are PC only, you don't have to be concerned with cross-buy, however if you were interested in say Space Pirate Trainer on the PC, you'd be wiser to buy it from the oculus store as it does have a cross-buy version for the quest so you could play the PC version, or the Quest version with one purchase.
-The PC Link cable is just a USB 3 cable. The reason they're releasing an official one is because they're using fibre optics for the data so they can have a very long cable, thats very thin, and is guaranteed to be compatible. The issue with USB 3 cables is they can only get so long with copper before it stops being able to carry the high bandwidth signal, and then you need an active extension cable. The other issue is just that not every company actually makes their cables so they perform at spec, so you might pick up a USB 3 cable, but the company cheaped out and it can't even carry data at the required specification for USB 3, and now its useless for the Quest's data link. There are a number of existing cables of course that work just fine, Oculus themselves even recommends a specific one for reviewers and users until their's comes out, and people online have been testing scores of cable combinations, and in some cases a 5 meter active extension cable with another usb 3.1 type C cable hooked in works just fine for an even longer (though heavier and thicker) cable solution than even the official 5m cable will be.
-Note, the Quest comes with a long USB cable, but despite being type C its only 2.0 for charging and data transfer and not fast enough for link use.
- Yes its going to match whats the PC is putting out basically. All the link is doing is using your video card's video encoding hardware take each frame, slice it up, compress it, send it over the cable, and then you headset decodes it, does last second timewarp in the headset, then plops it on the screen.
-Right now as others have said, its only doing 150MB/s, though it may increase in the future. Essentially either the cable/USB port is up to spec and it works, or one of them isn't actually to spec and it doesn't work.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BabyRyoga posted:

Does the thread recommend sticking to a general platform (IE Oculus store, Steam, etc) or just getting games where they are cheapest and most convenient?

Anywhere doesn't really matter much on the PC. The one exception I would say, is if you have/plan to get a quest, anything thats cross-buy is obviously a better deal to get on the oculus store.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What are some good controller based VR games? I hear a lot about full on hand-tracking VR games but not much about the Sit Down With A Xbox Controller ones. House of the Dying Sun is rad, Truck Sim too, any other examples?

Moss, Chronos, Lucky's Tale (I think you can still grab it for free?), Edge of Nowhere, are all really fun traditional 3rd person action/adventure games.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TVs Ian posted:

Question about cable management.

My ideal VR room is my living room. Plenty of open space and I have an SFF PC that I can bring in there and hook up to the TV, I've already tried my Rift S in there and it works great, aside from the cable being on the ground and sometimes getting wrapped around me if I'm playing Robo Recall or something else that involves turning a lot.

The issue is that it's also got a high ceiling - it's almost 2 stories high in the center. So the traditional retractable badge holder thing wouldn't really work unless I chain them together and also get up on a ladder every time I want to set up the headset. The other rooms in my house are either small or have ceiling fans, so I can't use it in those rooms without being super careful not to hit something.

Has anyone worked out like, a freestanding cable arm? I'm thinking a post maybe 8-9 feet tall with a weighted base (like one of those sand-filled patio umbrella holders) and a lightweight arm on top that could be locked in place and has the retractable supports attached to it, then folded back against the wall when not in use. It'd be ideal if such a thing already existed (either in pre-made or "here's the parts you need" form), but I suppose I could rig something up if not. I'm also trying to avoid any permanent mounting, and the room is too big to use a shower curtain rod or similar as a removable thing.

Even better if there were a wireless adaptor for the Rift S, but who knows if there will be one and what it'll cost.

So.... you mean something kind of like this?

which is just an IKEA lamp base: https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10103861/

Honestly just getting used to the cable on the ground is a better bet than trying to rig something like that up. Its really not too bad.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chinook posted:

I'm getting a Quest tomorrow. Aside from the (free?) Vader stuff, what is absolutely essential? I really haven't experienced much VR. (We got a psvr but I really only played AstroBot, and then tried to play Beat Saber and it was so janky with the tracking that I couldn't stand it)

Edit:
Oh, and separately, what would be worth checking out among my small steam collection of games which apparently have a VR component, using the link??

Well, I would say try beatsaber, since its very popular. If you liked AstroBot being a 3rd person platformer in VR, you might want to check out "moss", which is kind of similar. Its hard to say really because it depends on what kind of games you like. A lot of games features "cross-buy" which just means if you buy it on the oculus store on PC, or on the Quest, you get both the mobile and PC versions with one purchase. So for example if you picked up the climb on Quest, wanted to play it at high fidelity, you could plug in the link cable, and play the PC version for free. Not every game supports there, but I would say a majority that are on both systems, but I wouldn't ever just assume it without checking it out.

You can also check out and install "sidequest" its a PC app that makes sideloading easy. Theres some neat projects people have built for quest that haven't made it on the oculus store to check out, as well as tools for modding beatsaber and such on there.

You might want to start though checking out some of the free stuff, like PokerStars VR, or Rec Room. Rec Room in particular has a lot of modes, of particular note are paintball and the quests.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Clitch posted:

I'm not near typical. My wife has stopped asking me, "Why are you taking that apart? You just bought it.", and just sighs now.

I've been a little obsessed with VR since I was a kid, so there was no holding back once it came into a price range I could justify to myself, but I'm also very prone to motion sickness. I spent about 2 minutes in Subnautica and had to go lie down and chew candied ginger. I'll probably keep slapping together things to try and improve the experience until the market provides a really solid solution...that I can then figure out how to copy on the cheap.

In the future, the last thing you want to do is try and "power through" feeling motion sick. All you'll do is make yourself sick as a dog and form connections in your brain between vr and getting sick. When you start to feel motion sick, best thing is just to stop there, take a break, and come back to it later. Thats going to be the best way to build up tolerance. Also Subnautica is noooot exactly a great example of a game with comfort in mind, so you might want to get used to it more on games with more comfort options, hand directed steering, snap turning, vignetting, and such.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

sigher posted:

So when the gently caress is the Oculus Link releasing?

Do you mean their specific cable, or the software? Because the oculus link software is already available, has been for a couple weeks (though its still in beta) and you can use any USB 3 cable thats to spec for it. If you mean their specific cable, then... dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

sigher posted:

Wasn't the cable supposed to release with the software or did I end up reading that wrong?

They released the software first since its still in beta so people can begin playing with it. The cable is supposed to be coming out this year, so sometime this month unless it slips, though they said initially it will be sold in fewer regions until they ramp up production of them I guess.

This is the cable oculus was recommending until theirs launches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZIPYPY/

and already a company is selling a specific cable for the quest with the 90 degree bend: https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Transfer-Charging-Adaptor-Certified/dp/B07YLS96M7/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=PartyLink&qid=1575449432&sr=8-1