Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm gonna rush in with the first nuclear take of the thread.

B&S is a pretty good physics toy but a terrible game. Play Until You Fall instead.

Yeah, unlike H3VR, which is a pretty good gun simulator attached to several very good games.

Hot dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades (H3VR) - SteamVR
If you like guns, this is the game for you. There are hundreds of guns lovingly modeled, with all the physical mechanisms and jiggly bits accurately implemented. There are no human opponents, only range targets and animated human-sized sausages. If you don't care about guns, good news - there's also several game modes that are legitimately great video games by themselves included. Take and Hold drops you into a complex series of rooms and cooridors with a knife, a healing sausage, and perhaps a gun, and forces you to seek out supply points to upgrade to more powerful weapons to take and hold a series of choke points from waves of armed sausages who want to grind you to bits. Return of the Rotweiners is a great roguelike that is going to get a substantial update this month. You're dropped into a world infested with zombie sausages and are given a pistol with limited ammo, and are forced to unlock more powerful guns by competing quests for the uninfected sausages you meet. Every time you die, you lose everything you've gathered, but keep all the unlocked items, making further progress that much easier. Meat Grinder is a horror game mode that most closely reminds me of Resident Evil 3's Mercenaries mode - you're dropped into a slaughterhouse with a gun and need to complete a series of objectives with a strict time limit while fighting off fiendish meat-based enemies and avoiding deadly traps. WurstWorld is a Wild West themed area where you get to enjoy all the old timey weapons and also struggle with how bad throwing things like horseshoes in VR can feel. Plus all the shooting ranges you could ever hope for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I've been playing H3VR over ALVR with my lovely router, and it's just so much better than my Rift. If I wanted to spend a bunch of money on a fancy USB Wifi adapter and use that to broadcast a direct signal from my computer instead of using my lovely router it would be even better, but any additional latency is basically imperceptible to me and the only downside is the relatively frequent buffering things that make it look like I'm in an .avi with lovely codec problems, which is probably caused by my router and/or PC settings.

If they can get as good as that without the buffering through a cable, I'm in.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

$700 is laughable.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Am I going to regret going 64GB instead of 128 for the Quest? Most of the bigger things I'd want to install will probably just be over link, I think mainly it will just be a buttload of beat saber I play most when truly mobile.

You can fit thousands of Beat Saber songs in 10GB, and really can only fill the thing up quickly with a few specific games or a pile of 3D movie files.

I would have deeply regretted buying the 128GB version and am glad I cheaped out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

And is there any reason why I should hold off on buying the quest right this second?

Low but non-zero chance of a $350 Black Friday sale?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

That ramped up awfully fast.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Can I dual wield Super Scopes and play Battle Clash and Metal Combat at the same time?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey everyone ALVR is fuckin' fantastic, absolutely flawless, except I have to disconnect my modem otherwise I get FPS drops and buffering issues which makes no sense, apparently my PC or Quest are doing something on the internet they shouldn't be doing. My internet went out last night for several hours, and ALVR worked absolutely perfectly and now that I have a taste for that sweet sweet wireless H3VR with zero tracking, buffering, latency or FPS issues I can't go back to wired.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

That battery though....sheesh. 2 hours.

Chin Strap posted:

Get this https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Small-10000mAh-Portable/dp/B07DDF8CNK?sa-no-redirect=1

Strap it to the back headband with some velcro. Get extra life and a counterweight to make it more comfortable.

Yeah this. I use a phone belt-holster and a different manufacturer, but with a 10000 mAh power brick I will run out of energy long before the Quest does.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cicero posted:

Thrill of the Fight is out on Quest today, here's some gameplay: https://youtu.be/p0MuU-ZJNa4

Haven't played it myself yet, but I've heard good things and will probably pick it up.

Excellent, it's gonna be a high of 70 °F tomorrow and I've been meaning to screw around with the Quest outside. This'll do.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Thrill of the Fight on the Quest is an excellent implementation of the game. Nothing appears to be different than the version of Thrill of the Fight I played on PC a year and a half ago, except now I don't need to worry about demolishing myself/a wall/a light fixture/a monitor, because I can just sketch out a big square in the yard or driveway or porch and swing away.

Though if it were still as hot as it was a month ago, I would be dead right now, either of heat stroke or from being devoured by bugs.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Return of the Rottweiners rebuild is up for H3VR! :zombie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H47WTeZ8I8

It is extremely good. I'm playing on the Quest through ALVR and it is excellent, though I was having some FPS issues around the first hive when there were ~15 zombos around.

Wheezle posted:

I've just switched to a Rift S from a Vive and I'm now noticing some rather problematic FPS drops in Beat Saber that weren't there before. I know the resolution is a little higher now, but surely a 2080 Super should be able to handle that, right?

Is playing SteamVR games on Rift known to come with performance issues? I guess otherwise it could just be the added CPU load of the rift's tracking cameras, maybe?

Check SteamVR advanced settings to make sure it didn't automatically set it to 1.5x supersampling.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

This sounds like typical Ryzen/Threadripper problems.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I have a new problem with the Quest. For the last two nights I've been playing the hell out of H3VR's Rotweiners mode on the Quest through ALVR, and it has been awesome. Today, I powered the Quest on, and it had automatically updated to the latest firmware, with a whole bunch of options removed/changed in the options menu. Additionally, the head tracking is all hosed up - keeping my head stationary, the home menu is....moving. Like slightly waggling side to side and back and forth and up and down, like I'm on a boat. Obviously if I play a game like this I'm going to puke all over my living room.

What the hell happened?

e: it's also wobbling for other people, and it wobbles in the lobby of Thrill of the Fight, and I just know if I try to play a game like this I'm going to puke. Automatic firmware updates are loving atrocious.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 28, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

hey i think something went horribly wrong with my quest when it autoupdated

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

Oh come on with that guardian outline, don't kid yourself.

That big wedge on the left is three feet of outline keeping me from knocking over the TV again, with the little devil horns so I can orient myself.

Also I factory reset the Quest, downloading all my games again and let's hope poo poo ain't hosed no more.

e: lol i downloaded and installed everything downstairs next to the router because i was too lazy to connect it to the 2.4ghz signal since i'm gonna need to keep it on the 5ghz one anyway for ALVR, then brought the quest upstairs to sideload everything and it couldn't gain tracking in the new room, wouldn't allow me to setup a new guardian, wouldn't recognize or track the controllers and wouldn't allow me to select restart with the volume buttons so I had to just hold the power button and hard reset, what the gently caress did they do in this latest firmware that it hates my hardware

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 28, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

What movement mode do most people use in H3? They finally added directional stick movement, but it always acts weird with WMR (drift or super uneven speeds in different directions).

Armswinger. I did so many curls in my first couple of nights of the new Rotweiners patch.

Stick movement is fine, except I would prefer to have both sticks enabled for movement and use the face buttons for the things you'd use direction+click for, but that'd take too much SteamVR configuration editing for me to bother with. I did that poo poo for Fallout VR, never again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ralith posted:

That's almost exactly as little information as the game itself gave me. Would it kill this game to have a map somewhere, so I at least have more than vague guesses what any of these even are?

There are maps at the starting location behind the science sausage. They're topographical and exactly as useless as a paper map is to people used to glorious Google Maps + Street View or constantly updated fancy maps like in Skyrim or whatever.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rage-saq posted:

Ya pistol whip is great. I hope the modding scene grabs onto it because the potential is huge.

Are they going to have a very robust level creation tool/mode that comes with the game? I can't imagine any third party tool would be up to the job.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Thief simulator VR is out on November 12th!

Yes yes yes! Just finished Alien: Isolation in VR (very slowly and on easy) and also finished the Rotweiners update in H3VR, I guess this will be the next thing to beat.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Stick100 posted:

Which ALVR were you using? I tried beta 5 from Github recently and it hardly was functional (only one controller, no buttons work).

That one is broke, use this fork:

https://github.com/JackD83/ALVR/releases

I still haven't figured out a way to get it perfect without totally disabling Windows Firewall and unplugging my modem, but drat is it perfect when I do.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not good enough for take and hold, I just keep making a fool of myself and dropping my clip or double-toggling the safety so every time I come rolling up on the enemy with 3 guns and then I just stand there going "oops, uhhh, oops, gently caress, give me a second, gently caress!" while they kill me. :shobon:

I can't seem to get a hang of when you grip and when you trigger. In the shooting range taking your time, its fine, but with enemies attacking from all sides... I just keep fumbling.

Play with 50000 HP and check your HP at the end of the last Hold, and keep going until you stop fumbling and/or survive with >30k HP. Then you get to murder while not having to restart and fumble through the first few guns every ten minutes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Does H3 have a reach grip? It needs that if not. Picking poo poo up off the floor sucks.

Click in thumbstick and hold on Rift gives you a laserpointer that lets you telegrab things.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I am happier playing H3VR with sausage enemies than I would be if there were humanoid enemies. If there were goofy looking robot enemies I would be happier than if there were humanoid robots. It's more fun to shoot the guns at not-people.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I got another one of those Oculus Consumer Surveys. This one was entirely web-based and meant to gauge interest on new features they are considering.

It had one line about "we will show you confidential information", though there was no legalese or NDAs or anything.

So I'll respect their confidentiality... eeeeexcept for this one picture I'm still gonna post because the artist is brilliant and I've been laughing my rear end off at it, and it is very apropos all the violence talk:

i am now extremely excited about violence, but only when performed virtually by old people samurai

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

There are so many Nintendo properties that I want on the Quest - Metroid Prime Trilogy, Splatoon, and if they remember they own them Battle Clash/Metal Combat.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Metroid Prime runs on the Dolphin Emulator and has some degree of head tracking in Oculus Rift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBfJfTdxrg8

The Dolphin emulator has builds for Android, so it could be technically feasible to do a Quest-native setup for Metroid Prime. Because you can aim with the Wiimote, it is possible to translate the Touch controller input to that as well (apparently some special builds of Dolphin do this).

I tried that like a year ago, and it was too janky even for me. Looked great and a wonderful proof of concept, but not a fully playable experience.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BMan posted:

ipad lady is gonna cop a controller to the face

That window is looking awfully breakable right now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

dogstile posted:

I dunno, i don't particularly have strong feelings about shooting a fake dude but i can kinda see it? I guess? However as its a murderer who killed an 11 year old gently caress him use a bigger gun.

Naw if the scared guy killed the bald guy's daughter, the bald guy would have killed the scared guy, not make you do it - obviously the bald guy is lying and you should shoot him instead of the scared guy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

dogstile posted:

Wasn't he about to do it when you come in? gently caress it shoot them all i guess.

"I'm finally about to get my revenge against the man who murdered my child! Oh hello, I'm Tom Smith - would you like to murder my child's murderer? I would do it but uh....oh you're trespassing, yeah that's it. You're trespassing and if you want to make it right, you'll murder this man who I have very good reason to want to kill and you have just met!"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

Crying and tearing off my headset when forced to shoot a robo recall robot vs just going ham on Wall-e and EVE with a ball peen hammer

:same:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

SteamVR is as janky as Oculus Dash and messes up just as often, but Oculus Dash has some features that are great. It's a huge bummer using ALVR and basically just having to ignore the desktop feature of SteamVR.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I did some digging out of curiosity, and it's not actually Valve's fault. According to this guy on Reddit, Bethesda ignored SteamVR API conventions to do something loving stupid. They include a fix for getting Fallout VR to recognise Index controllers are Oculus Touch controllers in that link.

There should also be an applicable legacy binding if you follow their Steam username shared in the post while searching for bindings.

The short version is instead of accepting what it's told to use, the game is querying the tracking system to brute-force what controller should be applied (ie; Vive Wands or Oculus Touch) instead of obeying SteamVR's configs.

drat I wish they didn't do such a lovely job on FalloutVR

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Annnnnnd elliotttate got custom songs kinda working. Its not custom SCENES, but its song injection.

https://www.notion.so/Pistol-Whip-Custom-Song-Guide-eff8f11e8a8145488f6fdd276774b8fa

holy poo poo this is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSbFB692NTo

this is going to be an incredible experience if they ever release a custom scene creation program.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fuzz posted:

That price is a steal...

Yeah it's so low I actually got worried that the game would be horrible shovelware, but the reviews seem okay and ragesaq seemed to like it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

https://github.com/QuestEscape/exploit

A root exploit for Quest is out in the wild. If you want root access to your Quest for whatever reason I'd suggest disconnecting it from the internet until tools come out that make this exploit functional, as Oculus are probably going to fix this next patch.

thanks for posting

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

well H3VR is adding the one thing I wanted most to the game:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Oof, I have a 960 on a seperate machine that has USB-C on the motherboard, but that's not supported. My main machine with a 1070 would struggle with Was hoping to test the Link there, guess I'll wait for other people to test it before figuring out what I'm gonna do.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

It has an audio jack on the bottom. Its quite handy for some people actually.

Yeah my headphones are plugged into my mic because that's just the best place for it with my setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cicero posted:

Hope everyone's ready for the world's great portal gun-themed digital card game! In VR!

I would be extremely into this as long as it is not nearly as boring as Artifact.