Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
are there good and (relatively) inexpensive minipcs i could use as a vr box? i recognize that the card is going to be the most expensive component but my vision is to have a physically small box i can tuck away in a corner that is dedicated to running games via airlink on the quest 2

i dont own a regular desktop pc and dont have any room for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i actually do have a gaming laptop with a pretty good card that is theoretically vr ready in it (it can run cyberpunk at 1080 raytraced), the only problem is that it turns into an oven and slows down to a crawl after an hour or so. i guess i could cannabalize it for parts but i'm absolutely not confident in my ability to build computers

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

explosivo posted:

I would definitely invest in some replacement facial interfaces from VR Cover if you're getting a used one. You have no idea whose face was touching that foam and how sweaty they were when they did it.

i mean beyond that the stock cover is also bad at blocking out light coming in through the nose section. its also very bad at venting out moisture and heat if youre playing something very active or working out in vr.

i got one from kiwi designs and havent had an issue with it since

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

they should never ever show footage of someone walking around with a pair of goggles on their face if they want to sell vr or vr games yet they do it constantly

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i can almost place the galactus looking sillhouette in the upper right hand corner but not quite. kind of seems like a warhammer thing if i was guessing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my brain keeps wandering back to the villain from baldur's gate 1 but all my dreams about remaking the infinity engine games in vr cant be coming true

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

forest spirit posted:

Hey!

What specs are the laptop? If you can raytrace cyberpunk @ 1080p than I'm going to assume laptop 2070 and up.

You don't have to cannibilize anything!

I think your laptop can run games without screaming, but it sounds like you're not super comfortable with getting technical, so if you're okay changing some settings in your BIOS and changing your power limit for your GPU in windows, that's everything!

Essentially you would make a change for your CPU in the BIOS, and a change for your GPU in a windows app.

Laptops are overbuilt, especially gaming ones, and if we undervolt the CPU (make it draw less power) and reduce the power ceiling for your GPU (same thing essentially) then I think you can play without your laptop fan turning into a jet engine.

cool! ill look into this. thanks to you and everyone else that helped

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i dont want to be iron man, i want to be CJ

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Meta has released a new free mp/social game thingie
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5756827011021749/

"Your space station on Mars is on the brink of collapse. Will you and your fellow players be able to save the station from mandatory evacuation? Or are you a mole working to take it down?

"Decommissioned: A VR Social Deduction Showcase" is a futuristic multiplayer gaming experience jam-packed with teamwork and betrayal. It's your job to figure out who within your group is actively sabotaging the game.

- Host up to 8 players
- Full support for both hand tracking and controllers
- Social presence with Meta Avatars

Decommissioned is an open source project for Meta Quest developers. Source code and assets can be found on GitHub at https://github.com/oculus-samples/Unity-Decommissioned"

multiplayer games like this are always a great time. too bad everyone else playing them are tweens

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

port the dark engine over to oculus imo. would love to play thief and play the levels that still hold up as pretty scary even though its 1999 graphics

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok i need some troubleshooting help. ended up setting my laptop up for vr with my link over both air and cable and am running into the same issue. sometimes everything runs like a dream sometimes i get endless tearing and slowdowns

checked heat and it doesnt seem to be a difference. think its cpu, memory, or somethint else. anyone have any hints? weird thing is, it runs perfectly smoothly on the little window showing in the laptop display

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

njsykora posted:

I don't want a PC strapped to my face for anything other than videogames, I do not understand these people who really want to put a headset on to do email work.

i worked for a whole day in vr just to see what it would be like and while it's kind of fun being able to minority report shoot windows around while on a zoom call or arrange my digital furnature ultimately it probably made me significantly less productive

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you could probably rent a storefront at mall with a hand sandwich and a cyanide pill at this point

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i tried to like gambit, i really did, but the shooting feels terrible, the progression is really slow, and you pfen are just getting shot and have no idea because when you get shot theres no impact

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

gorilla tag but its an exact recreation of donkey kong country

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lemming posted:

Dude shooting sucks so bad in VR. Yeah it's fine, but it's so disappointing that it seems to be a huge focus in so many games. The interesting parts of VR are being able to engage and interact with the world, and a glorified laser pointer that just makes something far away dead is one of the least interesting ways of interacting with that world.

I really wish more companies would approach making stuff from a non-flatscreen game focused point of view. It feels like everything is just being made through that lens and it's flubbing so much opportunity

i enjoy shooting in vr in games in games where my gun isnt my hand and i have the opportunity to accidently eject my magazine, drop my gun and then accidentally shoot myself trying to pick it up again in a panic. into the radius is great for this

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tossing a shotgun into the air, picking up two uzis and shooting everyone equilibrium style, then catching the shotgun to finish off the last guy in superhot also has never gotten old for me

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

honestly the most ive enjoyed gunplay has been re4. enough simulation that you can do revolver ocelot tricks, but also fantastical enough that you can do revolver ocelot tricks. i found out almost all the way through the game that you can reload your weapons by throwing the ammo into the air and catching it with your gun, and from then on that was the only way i reloaded

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

when i moved out of the city i was able to afford a 2bedroom (for what i was paying for rent in 2012). originally the plan was for a remote office but it has since become the laundry/vr room. before then i had to slide the coffee table into a corner for "roomscale" and you can bet i lightly punched the tv once or twice

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is there some sort of setting on the oculus to keep it from just waking up every time its slightly jostled? i found that i have to hard power it off unless its plugged in, or else a particularly heavy truck going by will wake it up on its own

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wow a quote is not edit here in 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

explosivo posted:

What are the odds that we see/hear anything about GTA:SA VR at Thursday's Meta Quest gaming thing? Do they even have any other games that are being worked on atm?

i dont think we're allowed to have nice things

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mutata posted:

Hell yeah, love 2 wear batteries cantilevered off of the top of my head.

if i hypothetically want to do something dumb like this what products do i need to buy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

San Andreas is dead and buried, isn't it.

they should have just started with gta3 and worked their way up from there, like they did on phones

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hey man any increase in fov is going to improve my putting so im good with that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

chird posted:

Just getting on the bus with my $3499 glasses, should be fine

smashing my face into the turnstile for apple pay

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

youre going to have to sideload the quest operating system to actually play any games on this, huh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i just cant take a 3500 headset with a battery pack that you have to carry that only has two hours of battery life and theres no controllers and probably no games seriously

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i bet that little pack heats up something fierce so you get to say "i literally have 3500 bucks burning a hole in my pocket"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what the gently caress

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

temporarily driven insane after someone airdrops goatse into my apple goggles

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

so how would you shoot, would you have to make finger guns and say pew pew

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I was chatting with my boss today and he mentioned he's already been in touch with our Apple rep to get a headset as soon as its available lol. Sounds like he's more interested in the 3D recording aspects rather than using it for training.

the boss wearing it during an all hands so he can carefully study everyones reactions afterwards

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

iphones would never have caught on without cell phone plan financing. expensive mobile vr headsets wont either

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

by my calculations you can but 7 75 inch roku tvs from wal mart for the price of the headset. so if you really want screens all around your house id recommend that because roku tvs have software that can run on it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ive gone into the weird reboot mode after leaving it alone for 6 months and the battery had fully died and it didnt want to wake up, but i dont think i ever had to factory reset anything. im guessing all my saves are local because why would they do anything for me for making me put all my info into the ecosystem

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

explosivo posted:

They sure are! I had to factory reset once to fix tracking issues and was more bummed than I like to admit that I lost all of my Walkabout Mini Golf balls and clubs :smith:

losing my balls would be devastating op

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

best in class is fine, but it's the software that's important. if you can't play minigolf in your kitchen then what's even the point of AR

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

new minigolf course dropped, its journey to the center of the earth themed.

it seems to be oriented around chipping, which is not my strong suit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

2 titles for 8 bucks a month that's just embarassing