Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Don't know if anyone needs to see this but here's a goon review of the big screen beyond.

This thing is sick, it solved one of my biggest problems with my index which is the thing kinda sucks to wear for more than twenty minutes or so at a time. Played through some Pistol Whip, Ragnarock, and I expect you to die and it seems to perform on par with the index, although I am a standard goon so any minor increase or decrease in visual fidelity isn't particularly noticeable to me . I'm also tempted to grab my racing setup out of storage to give Project CARS a whirl now that I can put some actual time into it. I really think the future of VR headsets is gonna be this semi artisanal style where you have the main unit which contains the electronics and then you sculpt out a headset on a per user basis. Honestly my only issue with it is that the cord management isn't as great as I'd like as the cord kept popping out of the headset tidy thing, I'll probably rig something to keep the wire attached to it better.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

KillHour posted:

What do you think about the lenses/sweet spot/glare?

As a standard goon I needed the prescription lense add on so ymmv. When I first booted it the glare thing scared me a bit, but it seemed to be only noticeable if you're in a black box with no light sources, in actual games I'd have to be actively looking for it for it to be noticeable and even then it's not all that bad, it reminds me of your lenses starting to fog, not unplayable. I haven't played any particularly dark lit games yet, but it might be an issue if a game was super super super dark?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thoom posted:

If VR games stopped opening with a logo floating in a black void, I bet people would care less about glare.

Yea, if more games used a grey void it'd be nearly unnoticeable

KillHour posted:

How are the prescription inserts? I needed to order some too. Also, did they get your IPD correct?

They're fine, I have a statistically average near sighted script do I can't speak to the quality if you have something weird. I vastly prefer the installation of the beyonds inserts, it's just a set of magnets that snap on vs the pair I have from VR optometrist for the index which you kinda slip on over the lense.

As far as the IPD is concerned, I just used whatever number they gave me from their scanner and decided to roll the dice. I ASSUME they did a good job, because the screens not blurry and I'm not suffering from eye strain after twenty minutes of play today.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

One of my index's light house lazers apparently died after three years. Valve is replacing it for free. Good on valve.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My one disappointment with VR racing is no one decided to basically just copy initial D. The closest I've gotten is in project cars 3 toning down the sim elements, but it's just not there. I wanna go fast, drift, and listen to eurobeat

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

There any light gun type games like time crisis or house of the dead? I guess itd be like a static version of pistol whip or super hot?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dropping in to say Mutant league boxing is a very good and fun shadow boxing game if you're already familiar with how to shadow box. My only issue with it is that my light houses aren't setup optimally so they lose tracking of my hands every now and again when I'm doing fights.

I suspect this kind of game would really suck if you weren't already a somewhat trained boxer. I'm not sure how you'd overcome that with a complete beginner.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Man I expect you to die is such a good series, I think it's the first game that I've played and gone, "man this is what VR is for."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I said come in! posted:

please stop making zombie games. someone make a spiritual sequel to Area 51 instead.

This, but also just make it basically a rail shooter. I have yet to play a free movement shooter that didn't make me kinda sick. Alyx was about the closest and that's because I was using teleport movement.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I played some zombieland vr headshot fever and its like 85% what Id want out of a "vr lightgun" game. They made some weird mechanical choices that I dont agree with, but man someone needs to go grab the license to just port virtuacop, house of the dead, timecrisis, etc to vr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Everything else is either worse, a significant compromise and much more expensive. Bigscreen Beyond is the most interesting because it's so small, but it costs you sharability (it's custom fit to your face), camera passthrough and FOV. Pimax headsets are silly, massive face bricks that give you a massive FOV at the cost of absolutely everything else. Index is obsolete.

I don't like Meta either, but if you're not engaging with their platform, you're not earning them any money.

Bigscreen Beyond Owner here and it's real good if you don't care about shareability. I went from Index to this thing and I haven't noticed anything but positives.

edit: Thinking about it, the two big down sides are figuring out an audio solution that works for you and the driver can be a little finnicky when trying to wake it from sleep mode to leash to SteamVR

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 4, 2024