Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

How terrible is the lenovo explorer really?

What I want is PCVR on a budget, I don't much care for anything but SteamVR games.

Do the controllers really suck that bad?

I'd prolly get it off ebay.

e: I could easily get a used Rift DK instead, if that is better? I've actually used that one back when it came out and I was at uni.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

SCheeseman posted:

Importing is a pain in the rear end and can be expensive, but it's still more economical to import a cheap-rear end WMR headset than it is to buy a HTC HMD locally and I'd take a WMR headset over any of the inside-out tracking Cosmos variants any day.

The Lenovo Explorer I found was like $90 opened but unused display model, which I think is a pretty good deal. All peripherals and box contents included.

You could find something for like $60 used I bet, another $60 for importing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Hadlock posted:

Adjusting for inflation it's $200

I don't think you have a clear idea of what the world looks like outside of your suburbs

You haven't lived until you've traveled 1000 miles along the coast of a third world country for a week with 6% laptop battery life because nobody sells Apple laptops so it's literally impossible to buy an Apple laptop charger at any price. Saving a literal $100 USD is a huge massive deal

Except $600 is already really expensive, if you are at the point where you can afford that the extra hundred is pretty much irrelevant, no matter where you are. You won't get a random poor third-world person buying either.

Even just in Eastern Europe you mainly get people buying the phone "vr" cases because that's the actual low-cost vr option, not a loving six hundred dollar device. For a poor person that might as well be ten thousand dollars.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

SCheeseman posted:

Doesn't do physics based anything though. Skyrim (and Oblivion) nerfed skills quite a bit too, not as fun when you can't get 65535 in acrobatics and jump so high you crash the game.

Bit late but there's a couple mods which improve the vr combat experience in the game, adding swing direction effects, location damage, haptics, swing strength damage, physics knockback.

Google for "vr improved combat mod skyrim reddit".

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Grei Skuring posted:

drat. I think I'm gonna get Slyeim, again. Who would've thought.

If only you had the physical combat aspect of Blade and Sorcery jammed in there..

You can do quite a lot with mods, throwable weapons, spell research and spellsiphoning, scoped bows and crossbows, thunderchild, VRIK and HIGGS, combat overhauls, immersive weapons and the like, throwable weapon arsenal and even MageVR if you have the system to run it.

It's honestly very close to Blade and Sorcery. There's even a mod to replicate the select spell wheel from B&S (spell wheel vr).

e: Oh and get the locational damage mod, that's pretty important too. And the dismemberment mod, uh, maybe, dunno, it has some weird interactions with, uh, weird sex mods, but I guess the mod itself is fine, though I don't use it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 26, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Put like 2 hours into Skyrim VR after hooking up all the must have mods. Pretty fun although melee still feels like rear end. I like Archery though.

My only real gripe is that I dunno if I need special mods or something for it but the lighting is a bit off feeling midday, even with the mods I've seen people recommend, like reminds me of a game with lighting turned to low so everything is just the same intensity. Also things in the distance look bad until I get closer...Dunno if theres an option for that since the sliders aren't very helpful.

Yeah there's mods for that, but dunno which ones you tried.

There's multiple options but Onyx VR and SkyVRaan is what I'm using.

Depending on your GPU there's mods that dynamically adjust LOD based on your framerate.

e: Get Realm of Lorkhan if your intro sequence is broken. There's other alternate start mods but they need patches for VR.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 27, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I've had some serious sickness from Outer Wilds in the zero-g and brittle hollow sections, but generally speaking it was okay.

I've also had no trouble with spell wheel or weapon throw for skyrim, so maybe I'm just weird.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Leal posted:

I'd totally pay for a mod that takes skyrim and just makes it a different area with new dungeons and stuff to explore. Dungeon exploring is a whole new thing in VR

There's a bunch of worldspace mods that are at least worth trying, not all of them are that great but it definitely helps a lot.

Beyond Reach, Beyond Skyrim, Falskaar, Moonpath to Elsweyr, Maids 2, etc.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

ChocNitty posted:

Anyone who has access to Oculus Rift games, Asgards Wrath is a must buy. It's easily a 40 hour game, that might be a good enough action RPG for people to enjoy playing it in 2D.

You can play Oculus games from SteamVR via Revive (google it).

You still have to buy them obviously, it's not piracy.

In practice that means it's playable on almost every vr solution.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I posted about this before but if you don't have an oculus device then google oculus revive for compatibility drivers for steamvr via openvr.

As asgards wrath is an oculus exclusive.

Vader Immortal is pretty good too and worth trying, even if it's more of an action-adventure game than anything.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

VelociBacon posted:

Hm yeah I do have revive, you need to have the oculus software/account as well then to play the oculus exclusive titles? IE running in the background minimized? I did install it then got super turned off by the FB integration as I don't use FB at all. I'll check out vader immortal. Ty.

Yeah you need to login into it, though it adds the oculus games to your steam library and it runs the store automatically from Steam if you try to play them, so no need to keep it running constantly.

Just treat it like the ubisoft store or whatever.

There's no real facebook integration from within the games that I can tell.

e: It only adds the game to the VR library not the desktop steam one, since it's done via a plugin.

In other words you can either run the games by running SteamVR first and then choosing them from VR, or by running the revive menu and launching them from desktop.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 19, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

VelociBacon posted:

vvv got it, sounds good. I just hope the reverb g2 controllers aren't a huge pita to map to necessary binds.

YMMV, but it worked fine without remapping with my WMR controllers.

My list of must play VR titles goes something like this:

- Asgards Wrath
- Vader Immortal
- HL Alyx
- Blade & Sorcery
- No Mans Sky (no need to buy a special VR version)
- Jet Island
- Google Earth VR
- Skyrim VR
- Superhot VR [e]
- The Lab [e]

As for escape room games in particular both "I expect you to die" and "Job Simulator" are pretty decent.

e: Apologies for editing again, but superhot vr and the lab definitely deserve a spot in the list too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 19, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

That makes me think of what Persona 3 VR would be like (you summon demons in Persona 3 by shooting yourself in the head).

It did make me a bit uncomfortable in Superhot TBH and even more so it did in Persona 3 flatscreen.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCMW1-7ssdA

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 21, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Leal posted:

I shoulda stuck with learning to draw or code. Instead I work a dead end retail job am a seasonal factory worker.

The wild thing about coding is that you can make even more than that for vastly less effort.

It's never too late to learn? Just go ask in YOSPOS there's plenty of people who've done the same, but for the most part it's going to be some version of "build a portfolio of small dev projects using in-vogue technologies and get into webdev".

It's several months of spare time effort though fair warning. Also most people probably won't be keen on handholding you without a lot of pestering, since that's kindof a lot of effort too.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

China killed a lot of the mining market, it's mostly just ahole scalpers now.

That said it's not looking good still, the prices fell a bit but it's started to moderate again last week.

I really want to build a new vr rig but realistically with UK prices that's like £1600 at least and I can't afford to pay that much to go from "bit laggy but mostly playable on reasonable settings" to "actually smooth and good looking".

Given that I definitely agree with whoever said that PCVR is just too expensive, I could probably sell my 4 year old setup including VR and peripherals on ebay for around £1000 (I looked) and that's definitely not good enough for a smooth PCVR gaming experience.

Compare that with a quest 2 that retails for £399 and the price difference is pretty stark.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 3, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Nuts and Gum posted:

With a 2070s I can’t go above 90 on the index without noticing blur in text. Is that steamvr just auto scaling so it doesn’t drop frames?

Yeah it's how it deals with dropped frames, it might be better to just stay at 90.

I sometimes struggle to maintain even 90 with a 3070ti, so I would just use that in more demanding games, but YMMV.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

EbolaIvory posted:

Whats the rest of your setup look like?

I ask because I'm on a 2080ti/9900k and I have no issues with frame loss at 120 or 144*.

*Alyx at 144 on crazy high with supersample up yeah, its not great*

You shouldn't have problems at 120.

5600x (mild OC to base clock of 4.45)/32GB 3200MHz ram (OC to 3600)

According to cpu-z 5600x is faster in single core than any 10th gen and lower Intel chip even at base clocks, but 3070ti is slightly slower than 2080ti in most tasks, and faster in a few.

I do tend to use max details and >1.0 render resolution, but to me that's preferable to slightly higher framerate.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 23, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Foo Diddley posted:

regarding the thread title, did something happen? i thought people were more or less okay with oculus whatever

If you get your FB account banned (suspended?) you lose all your oculus games, by policy.

Some poster ITT got banned for advocating violent communist revolution in a private FB group or whatever.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Also I use revive all the time, it works very well.

There's handful of games that don't work on it but I don't think it's any of the big ones, there's a compatibility list somewhere if you want to make sure.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I think it might be available on the PCVR oculus store? Not sure.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I like HoloBall, but I got in in a sale (actually in a past bundle not too different from the current one).

It's basically a mix of Pong and Squash, it works pretty well as a workout in the way, well, Squash does. Might wear out your controller.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah I had to rejigger my USBs a fair bit to make VR work on my new computer, even in ways that aren't completely intuitive.

Funnily the Surface Book I was using previously worked flawlessly out of the box, even with 2 high-speed USB SSDs (that have the game data) and a whole bunch of other peripherals attached.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Vib Rib posted:

Both were block based games about placing and removing blocks with a digging theme. Infiniminer was more like an arcade game, set in a sort of vertical dirt pit, and you played by going down, finding ore, and bringing it to the surface to score points, trying to get more than your opponent. That was about it. Obvious similarities, and you can see where inspiration came from, but hardly the same thing.
One important note that people gloss over when talking about Infiniminer is that the dev openly stated they had no intention of making it anything more. It was what it was, and no more, and when players wanted more, using the bridging blocks to make little houses and the like, Minecraft was born in answer. It's not like I often see it painted, where the Infiniminer dev had big plans for a survival game or something and Minecraft swooped in and stole its thunder.

There's a bunch more similarities though, graphical and sound style, lava/tnt/diamonds, even the building of structures on multiplayer servers. Also the general size of blocks, players, fluid physics, etc.

The infiniminer devs was Zach Barth zachtronics btw., who hasn't done all that badly for himself either (infinichem, shenzen I/O etc).

Here's an old-timey youtube review of infiniminer if anyone's curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSIbbAu088

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

This clearly shows the majestic superiority of the MS VR controllers, despite the OP hating on them.

I mean you do get buttons, sticks AND a touchpad, what's not to like (aside from the bulkiness and poor tracking and all that).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Interested in getting into VR. Only prior experience I have is trying out my friend's PSVR a few years back, which I enjoyed a lot. I'm looking at getting an Index. I have a GTX 1660 Super, new MoBo with WiFi 6 and an AMD Ryzen 7. Will that rig be able to handle PCVR games? I've passed all the VR Check software poo poo I can find but don't really wanna drop a grand on this and have my rig be chugging like crazy all the time. I'm mainly interested in VRChat, watching movies, and virtual desktop applications. Don't care about RE4, but would like to give some games a shot (Fallout 4 VR, Star Trek Bridge Crew, No Man's Sky, Project Cars are on my list as of now). How am I looking?

One thing to keep in mind is that latest NMS is very demanding, but you can use steamre/depot to go back to an earlier version and it helps a lot.

I played it with 1050 but I had to do the above, turn down settings ludicrously and install potato-mode mods.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

What are the chances of a new generation of Windows Mixed Reality? I really like the controller (except that nothing supports it)

The G2 is decent and will work with the standard WMR controllers, but other than that I don't think very high.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this games series? The latest one just came out and was apparently built with VR support from the get go.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1593280/8089_The_Next_Action_RPG/

The graphics look like poo poo, but the store description do sound interesting. I wouldn't mind an ugly but mechanically sound VR RPG.

It's not bad, even the older games in the series (and it's a very long-running one) are quite good, but they differ in how much building and mining you can do. The graphics are more or less unchanged over the decade.

Generally it's minecraft without the crafting bit but with arcadey fps and rpg elements. The most enjoyable part is exploring the world once you have a character that can take of themselves.

It's not the first one with VR support either, but I didn't play the last one much in VR. Can take a few hours to figure out.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

EbolaIvory posted:

Play with it more. LIV + VR = 2x+ the hardware required. If my 4790 (non K) + 1080 could do 720p LIV + beat saber + all the extra poo poo I ran. Your poo poo can do more too. Hell pre 9900k upgrade when I was on the 8700k I was doing LIV in ultrawide and 1440+ resolutions. And no, I disable all that motion smoothing frame helper bullshit. Makes playing things like beat saber awful.

Yes, Some games, you can't crank up to 11. You couldn't crank those same games up to 11 when the card was new and those games were new. But saying a 1080 isn't good enough lol. come on dude.

It's not enough to crank everything up, is the point.

I mean I played a fair bit of VR on GTX 1050 and about 60% of things are fully playable too, some even on high.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

There's definitely those kinds of mods for VR.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

free Trapt CD posted:

Hi, is 3d modeling in VR workable atm?

Occasionally I need to rough something out for my gamedev projects but I haven't put the time into Blender etc., so the concept of popping into VR for 30-60 minutes and getting to grips with it (literally!) seems like it might be comparatively productive and maybe even a little therapeutic. Is it currently possible to do something like this, even with extremely rough results? No rigging, animating, texturing etc. necessary whatsoever, long-term expectation is getting a real artist to make replacement assets etc. Please give me an excuse to try getting a tax deduction on this stuff.

There are a few 3D modelling apps billed as for professionals (including something from the blender devs), but I haven't tried them personally.

Here's a list of them https://m.all3dp.com/2/3d-modeling-vr-software-tool/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

If you don't already have them (or have index controllers) I recommend finding old lenovo explorer controllers on ebay as well. They are compatible and better for some games thanks to the clicky touchpads and thus much higher number of
inputs (it's the thing that the OP calls "The other WMR controller").

Maybe not a priority but can be nice for games made for touchpad controls, like "I want you to die" and whatnot. Also for modded skyrim thanks to all the inputs, I assume for flightsims without a stick as well.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 14, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I think it might have to do with your USB connection, it's quite power- and data- hungry.

I haven't had any issues since I swapped to a new high-end mobo, but I did have some trouble before,

Some people recommend using a dedicated USB PCIE card, but even that might not help depending.

e: if it's a refurb it's possible there's a bad connection somewhere internally as well

e2: to be clear I've literally not had the connection drop out once in the last ~200 hours no matter what I run, there's something wrong

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 16, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Alctel posted:

Oh man I just completed Outer Wilds and now I find out there is a VR mod for it? drat

Although it gave me enough existential horror even in 2D so VR probably wouldn't have been a super great idea

It's pretty amazing mod with full tracking and controls, but it's also a serious motion sickness hazard.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Vorpx is a waste of money don't get it unless you want to experiment games that dont really work well in vr. I've seen Tip talk up vorpx before and just simply cannot imagine where they are coming from because there is a GTAV VR mod that works even better than vorpx does and nothing else I was interested in even worked a tiny bit. Don't even think about playing a multiplayer game (or mmo) because the anti-cheats will completely stop vorpx from working.

so yeah vorpx loving sucks

It's not terrible when it's your only option and if you take (a lot of) time to set it up, but I have motion sickness issues and can't really handle games that don't have support for room-scale movement so I haven't used it that much. Once it's dialled down correctly t's about on par with the VR mode for ARK or Subnautica (which are some of the worst first-party VR implementations I've seen).

I suppose it depends on what you want, ultimately it's a gimmick that lets you look at some flatscreen worlds in VR. It's not particularly great for playing through the games entirely in VR, but for a lot of things it's the only way to get VR working.

Also $35 isn't that much in the VR world.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 17, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Alctel posted:

Yeah it's weird cos DLSS is awesome on almost every flatscreen game I tried

Yeah, especially DLSS quality - I've turned it on in my 1080p death stranding which is running at pegged 90FPS even without it because it just flat out looks better than native rendering.

e: I'm told this is less so the case the higher resolution you go and applies only to DLSS >=2.0 (which DS has) so YMMV, but it definitely looks better for me.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 18, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah I think the quest is a great solution if you a) can't afford a powerful gaming PC and/or b) can't afford another headset. There is also c), if you want something that is portable for travel or want wireless VR.

You do pay for it with weight, latency and to an extent specs.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I kinda like it but it's more of an exercise game with generational/inheritance roguelike elements than an RPG.

As long as you are okay with that it's pretty good.

e: it's the first game where I punched a wall hard enough to draw blood

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 19, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

are we talking about Until You Fall or After the Fall here?

Ahh right, until you fall, sorry.

Haven't played the other.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

theblackw0lf posted:

What are some great flat screen games that have mods for a VR mode?

I was surprised to see Outer Wilds had one, which I’m definitely getting. And I know of Subnautica, NMS, RoR, Skyrim, Fallout, and Flight Simulator.

What else?

Borderlands 2 has a VR version, as does elite:dangerous. ARK technically does too but it's pretty broken.

Also Morrowind via openMW, with hand tracking & archery & all that, but no script extender support which sucks (this is more of an openMW issue than VR issue to be fair).

Oh and the X game between 3 and 4 has a VR version complete with hand controls on the bridge, but it's a slightly cut-down version of the main game.

e: Maybe we could get a list into the OP.

e2: forgot about star wars: squadrons, eve: valkyrie and 2 of the last phroot games. Also Kerbal Space Program but only in a cockpit view.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

So is subnautica, skyrim, nms and fallout which they've listed as examples though, so I feel like that's a bit moot.