Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The Quest looks a lot better than the Rift and Vive, but the Index absolutely shames it. You use the index for like 5 minutes and the pentile OLED pattern on the Quest sticks out like a sore thumb.
The quest still looks good but the index took things to a new level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The difference in optics quality with the Index and RiftS regarding edge to edge clarity is splitting hairs at best, but the Index has a much, much wider FOV. So overall for clarity and quality the Index wins by a pretty fair amount.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The Rift S and Quest both have a similar fov to the CV1

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Nektu posted:

I read a bit more regarding the Index vs Pimax 5k question, and yea, it looks like the Index really comes out on top.

The 5k's widest view angle (200 degrees) is a marketing lie (they measured it in the diagonals, not horizontally). It actually is something like 170 degrees.

The problem is that those 170 degrees REALLY stresses your hardware, and also introduces some very noticeable distortions at the edges of your view. The distortions might or might not be fixed in future versions of their driver software.

Their medium setting (150 degrees) is much more usable right now - a clear image and a manageable hardware load. But that's just 10 degrees better than the index. Also those 10 degrees are completely in your peripheral vision, and as such are not that noticeable.

So yea, the index is the better package for now.

There are so many other HMD feature categories where the Pimax is a steaming pile of garbage (irrespective of what is good in the current class of HMDs) and the Index is best in class, the Pimax might as well not exist.
Bad things like plastic cracking under a month of normal use, PiTool causing issues with SteamVR / OculusVR (it’s not a native SteamVR device) and overall shadiness of the company it’s just not worth dealing with.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

I think Bandoot really liked his. I think.

I swear he used it for quite a while.

EDIT: Not that its good. Please satan don't take it that way.

I think he switched to an Index when they were available?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So is there a way to negate VR sickness in blade and sorcery?

H3VR gives me no issues, Pavlov is fine, but for some reason B&S gives me a hell of a lot of eye strain and a bit of nausea. First game to really do it to me :saddowns:
Git Gud? I dunno, I’ve never gotten VR sickness in any game except one beta game where you were on a fast janky hover bike that did tons of jumpy roll whenever you turned and stuff.
Generally the cause of VR sickness is from dissonance between your expected movement vs perceived movement, and when there is a difference in these two things your brain tries to reorient and can’t figure out what’s going on.
The cause could be that B&S is using head oriented movement vs controller oriented movement and you aren’t used to the difference yet so you aren’t getting the expected movement and your brain is freaking out. You can try changing the locomotion method in B&S and see if that helps, however, unlike in shooting games, in melee games head oriented movement is by far the best method.
Otherwise the usual motion acclimation assistants like eating candied ginger etc is the plan until you are used to it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
No. Everyone should own a quest. gently caress Facebook a million times sideways and all but the Quest is magic.
The only question is if you should own a Quest AND an Index.
I think the answer to the is yes if you want the best PCVR experience.
YMMV

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Alright, refunded B&S. No matter what I did it just made me feel terrible compared to every other VR game.

Taking that credit, I was thinking of either Gorn, Hotel RnR, SuperHot VR, or Job Simulator. A y opinions?

Gorn is going to be similar to B&S so i would stick with Beat Saber, Superhot VR, Space Pirate Trainer, and maybe Job Simulator.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's something with B&S specifically, not freeform movement. I can play hours of Pavlov and H3VR no problem.

Pavlov has controller oriented movement, B&S is going to probably have head oriented movement which is the same as Gorn.
H3VR has mostly broken movement.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's all Lighthouse tech, so they work natively in SteamVR. They even sell Index controllers with the newer Pimaxes due to the delay in getting the Sword ones finished.

Not quite. Pimax isn’t a native SteamVR device. The compositing and VR space happens outside of SteamVR (which is how they do Oculus stuff without SteamVR+Revive) and Pimax has hijacked & hacked in control of the index controllers.
There are a not small number of games that don’t support the index controllers on the Pimax because the lovely Pimax compositor doesn’t represent it properly lmao
Reason number 8364372 to not get a Pimax

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Delete the hyperbolic magnetism folder in %localappdata%/locallow/
Also if you are talking about a oculus debug don’t set it to 1.3 that’s really high.
I have an index and TBH I run beat saber at 1.0SS even though my 2080ti can easily handle 3.0SS.
Setting 2x MSAA makes a bigger difference than 3.0SS (steam, approx 1.7 oculus) in that game.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

https://twitter.com/qtpop_twitch/status/1189229134544867328?s=21

Bunch more content coming soon but holy heck pistol whip is amazing. Seriously check it out. Saq will probably be showing up to say “ya dude it’s amazing” anytime now.

Ya pistol whip is great. I hope the modding scene grabs onto it because the potential is huge.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mr Phillby posted:

Google earth.

Quest. Nothing there yet.

My son is 7 now and for the longest time the only VR game he cared about playing was Job Simulator.
Not Beat Saber... Job Simulator.
He’s kind of grown out of it and wants to play Space Pirate Trainer and Vader Immortal ep1/2, and just told me the other day he wants me to train him in Beat Saber and wants to play Pistol Whip when he’s old enough.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dongattack posted:

How much content is there in the Vader Immortal episodes? I keep reading user reviews that say like "only 30-40 minutes of content" or something along those lines.

There's two parts to Vader Immortal "content".
First piece is the story. Ep1 is about 60-90 min of content, its good. Ep2 is about 30-40 min, is short but good.
The second piece is the dojo, which is 40 levels of specific enemy combos with increasing challenge levels, this is also really fun.
They are both totally worth $10, works great on Index through revive and I will buy the 3rd one without hesitation.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Play Maul style aka no ammo mode if you want to be in a world of hurt. 5 hours of pistol whip for shooting my first vid was nothing compared to this.
Took me 2 hours to get this and I was destroyed for 3 days afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQGRd6gxwI

I think it more or less got me Pistol Whipped because now I can PW for 2 hours a few times a week and idgaf

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 12, 2019

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah. Chasing after PC modding is a fools errand and nobody's stupid enough to try to stop it anymore. Oculus did it to the Quest version to lock down the headset (as far as they can with an Android device) because they've got Facebook's social VR platform coming. Cant have anyone poking at THAT under the hood, for a variety of reasons, and killing Beat Saber's modding is a very loud message to send.

No they didn't, this is false.
The original beaton mod creator decided they didn't want to mess with it anymore after an Oculus TOS change, then they open sourced their project and said peace out. BMBF came from that a few days later and its like nothing happened.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This was the point of the TOS change. I wouldn't be surprised if they deliver on the TOS threats at some point in the next few months just to scare off more modders

That is speculative and there is no basis as this is the reason. Oculus has not contacted anybody and will not be doing so. Modding on quest is alive and well just as it has ever been, implicating anything otherwise is reactionary bullshit with no basis in reality.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ClassH posted:

Link doesn't work.

Whoops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQGRd6gxwI

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

peter gabriel posted:

What's the consensus on asgard's wrath?
Youtube folk love it, but they always do, and it's not an impulse purchase price point, not seen you dudes talk about it much unless I missed it?

From what I hear from VR friends it’s got somewhat unresponsive waggle combat feel and lots of tedium that doesn’t make sense.
It looks fairly missable to me.
Basically par for the course for Oculus funded games.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Thief Simulator VR is good and fun, a fair amount of content too! It feels like it is the prototype for something like GTA in VR, it is a little rough but it nails a lot of the right elements and is just silly to play around with.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Proper_D is a total beast at this game.
The game also needs a better scoring mode so this isn’t possible, it’s pretty much impossible to get a perfect score in beat saber.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

very time I think about what a missed opportunity that game is I get mad

Isn’t this Oculus Games Studio motto?
See: from other suns, defector, robo recall, etc

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Hellsau posted:

Yeah it's so low I actually got worried that the game would be horrible shovelware, but the reviews seem okay and ragesaq seemed to like it.

I mean I got the key as a creator code but I legit had fun with the semi freeform criminality that reminds me of early days gta3. I’ll be streaming it tonight trying to figure out the next level of complexity of heists but I’ve had a good time so far and it easily passes the $12 cost threshold.
I also have discovered the hidden gem that is viveport infinity bad VR game night. Last night on stream I said gently caress it let’s grab random games and did Shark Week Operation Apex and that was actually really good, and then followed it up in the worst (best?) way with Excavator Harbor Job which is super minimal shovelware jank that perfectly gives you control of an excavator by a harbor to do a job.
I ended up in the harbor immediately but it only got better from there.
There’s like 800 games on infinity, it’s cheap and it’s fast. Not gonna lie I’m gonna make this a thing.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Delta-Wye posted:

Not to say it materially changes your point, but electrons move super slow and even wave propagation is like 2/3 the speed of light depending on what dielectrics are present and a bunch of other stuff.

The biggest impact in latency on high speed (10/25gb) interconnects is the SFP media adapter performance. Optical interconnects have always been lower latency than copper. We are talking nanoseconds here, completely meaningless for any relevant performance scenario except HPC for algo stock trading.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Township Tale has awesome smithing components

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's no reason why you can't make a game work in both VR and on the flatscreen. Valve should probably pull a funny one by releasing the 2D mode to a potential HL3 around 2-4 weeks later, or some poo poo.

Throwing more cores into SoCs is a nice way to pad benchmark numbers. Doesn't mean you can efficiency use them. Parallelizing algorithms is hard.

It’s exponentially more work to make a really good VR game also work with desktop. The level of control fidelity offered is such a massive improvement.
They also were probably uninterested in trying to make a VR focused game also work well on the desktop, this has been a BIG focus for the company and making it VR only will certainly make sure they do it as best as they can by not diluting their efforts.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Origami Dali posted:

I just want a VR experience where I'm in a monastery with a large beautiful cathedral, far up in the mountains. Tasks include tending garden, cutting hay, lightning candles, listening to choral chant, feeding animals, reading old manuscripts, brewing beer, meditation/prayer. Maybe I'll befriend a bird. I want that in real life too.

Township tale isn’t tooooo far off. Gardening / farming isn’t in yet nor is raising animals but they recently added more complex non-weapon/tool item crafting.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SirViver posted:

Out of curiosity, can any Index controller owners try lightly tapping them against each other (plastic to plastic contact - it needs to be a hard surface impact) and report whether that causes the tracking to freak out for a second or so? Just wanna make sure this is normal behavior.

I recently got a protube gunstock and noticed that when snapping on the front magnetic holder (e.g. after reloading) the tracking would sometimes spaz out. At first I thought I had a reflection problem (pro tip: get the more expensive carbon tubes instead of the chrome ones when using a lighthouse based system, unless you want to wrap them in iso tape like I did), but I could then reproduce the issue without the protube just by inducing "hard" shocks on the controllers. Soft surface impacts - like against your hand - don't show this issue, even on relatively hard smacks. My guess is that the tracking is actually a combination of lighthouse data and internal accelerometers, which throw off the tracking on high-G spikes caused by hard surface impacts.

This is abnormal. In order to get mine to act funny at all I have to bash it pretty hard. Snapping into a magtube doesn’t affect my tracking for more than a few milliseconds and only in an extremely minor way, the same as giving the controller a light slap.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

homeless snail posted:

You don't need a vrcover for an Index, the facial interface is already this ridiculously plush fabric that's non absorbant and anti bacterial. Its way more comfortable than my Vive vrcovers and just as easy to keep clean

This.
The index facial interface is so insanely comfy and holds up to smelling fresh until you start to tear the outer fabric layer. Mine started doing this a few weeks ago and sometimes it smells funky at the end of a beat saber stream but doesn’t smell bad the next time I use it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
2070S super is the card to get for VR right now IMO if you can swing the extra, I think we will be seeing Selena high graphics VR games soon and having the extra power will be very beneficial.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Turin Turambar posted:

Beat Saber is starting to annoy me with the uneven difficulty. Why some songs I can do on Hard mode on the first try, and others I need to play them 4 times in the slowed speed setting.

The skill curve in beat saber has literally no end. I’ve been playing quite religiously since the game came out 18 months ago and I’m constantly being challenged and improving.
As far as difficulty levels go the OST hard and expert difficulties are very, very basic in the wide realm of beat saber difficulties and are generally surpassed in a week or so of mild practice. My mom is 60 and can beat expert OST songs on the Quest after a few weeks of play and she is the furthest thing from a gamer that exists.

Relatively on topic
The Beat Saber community should probably move to a point score for difficulty, because a lot of “hard” songs made in the past year are probably harder than all of the OST Expert songs, and plenty of Expert songs are harder than OST Expert+, and Expert+ ranges from “Hard” to “Expert++++”. The names are meaningless vs a number score can just continually be incremented and would probably allow things to remain accurate relative to time/meta.
Not a perfect solution either though, but maybe the start of something better.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
A short list of my Beat Saber go to mappers for current mapping stuff that’s also good for Maul
Heisenberg
Rustic
Ruckus
Joetastic
Ryger
Kuritsa

If I see a map by these guys I’ll play it no questions and it’s almost always solid. Heisenberg especially, his stuff just always jams and is often totally amazing for Maul

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Benny is good for new mappers but he hasn’t really dropped any new tracks in some time, and most of his stuff he dropped near the end was still classic Benny gen1 mapping. Not that it’s a bad thing per say
Heisy maps though, are exactly my jam. Fast with amazing flow, I did this decent-ish run last night of one he did earlier this year that is still a favorite of mine called G4M3 0V3R by Celldweller

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/517460295

My complaints in the vid about being able to see were because BS was lagging like hell earlier until I did some random thing that fixed it. You know, typical beat saber poo poo. When the lag is bad (but still runs) and it just kind of slows it all down it makes you feel like you’ve forgotten how to play because you can’t hit poo poo

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Truga posted:

speaking of bad ideas, is it possible to easily root the quest/go? i might be willing to buy facebook hardware if i can remove them from the software bits

Quest runs on android which is kind of rooted by default. Is there something you think you cannot do?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah you just run revive in the background and then stuff just works.

Problem is revive runs all the time you're using VR even if it isn't an oculus game. I uninstalled it because I was worried it was causing performance issues. I'm probably gonna have to try it again though.

It doesn’t, it’s just a hook into steam to run some patching/in patching commands automatically. It doesn’t actually actively “do” anything.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Sarsapariller posted:

Nostos is out today, anybody tried it? Is it just another survival clone or does it have some elements that might make it a compelling VR experience?
I played both betas. It’s an MMO that also added a VR port. I’m not sure what is interesting about it at all.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SCheeseman posted:

He did the pitch, the release on SideQuest coincided with the denial by Oculus. SteamWorks is unlikely the reason why, custom levels are already on their own server on the Quest version, imported from Steam.

Foreign APIs are grounds for automated denials from Oculus. No exceptions.
This is why you should buy from steam

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Project cars 1/2 are super demanding for performance, and a 4790k is getting pretty under spec for anything approaching demanding for VR, same with a 1060.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
TBH I think the third valve game is gonna be CS:VR. It would break the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ShadowHawk posted:

How's Pavlov doing these days?

Pretty lovely still. I tried it out the other week and while some of the control issues have been fixed, others still remain and the gunplay is garbage as always.
I was mentioning it in game and tons of people were like “well yeah it’s still bad but it’s got CS maps” so even the other players acknowledge that the game is pretty subpar.
A legit well done CS:VR releasing alongside L4DVR and HL:A would be Orange Box 2 and would be a huuuuuuge boost for VR.