Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please don’t forget the best free games

Rec Room
https://recroom.com/rec-room

Rec Room is essentially a framework around which other games are built. It includes tools to make your own gametypes, although 99% of players just play existing rooms. Popular game modes include:

Paintball - Exactly what it sounds like. Players are divided up into two teams to play either team deathmatch, or capture the flag. You pick up weapons in the level, or from downed opponents. The paintballs are affected by gravity, so there is a strategic component to shooting

Battle Royale (rec royale): Basically Fortnite or pubg in Rec Room. You know the drill. Drop from a plane, last man standing wins. I would argue that Rec Royale is a way better BR implementation than most other games, because the 6DOF affords you a lot of flexibility.

There are a ton of other modes including parkour courses, castlevania type games, shooting galleries and all manner of fun stuff.

The game and culture around it is pretty kid friendly and you will bump into players of all ages. The community is generally pretty good about not tolerating toxicity. The biggest drama is generally around teleport motion vs smooth motion, with the latter claiming the former are cheating. They aren’t, teleporters have a mandatory two second cooldown after they move where they are sitting ducks.

Available on Oculus, Steam, quest, PSVR and in flat mode on a bunch of devices. Crossplay is enabled between all of them. There are options to only play with VR players, although I find VR players are at an advantage over flatscreen players anyway.

Pokerstars VR
https://www.pokerstars.net/

It’s poker, in VR. If you have ever played Texas holdem poker, you know how to play this game. The real draw of this game is the human interaction. You have an array of toys, drinks, food, smokables and all kinds of stuff to mess with at your disposal. The tables fill up with stuff as the game goes on. Don’t like that you lost that hand? Shoot the winner with a squirt gun, or throw a tiny donkey at them.

The physics are on point, which you wouldn’t think is important for a poker game, but absolutely makes this one. You physically grab your chips and cards and play like you would at a real Vegas table.

Everyone is voice enabled by default so the game doubles as a chat room as the games go on. Watch the people you play with, you’ll find like in real life, they have tells in VR too. Everyone is 6dof as well, so you can see if they slump back in their chair, shake their head, sigh, or anything else really

Chips are free and you can win more of them every 8 hours by spinning a big Wheel of Fortune type wheel. You can purchase them too, but in my experience I’ve never bumped into anyone who actually bought them. Legend has it, it’s only the weirdos who absolutely have to play at the million dollar tables who actually buy chips.

It’s poker, so the audience and conversation skews more adult than rec room but in my experience it’s rarely toxic. You can mute people’s voices and avatars as well if they get out of hand. I find I mostly mute people for constantly breathing into the mic, rather than any other reason.

It’s on Oculus, Steam, Quest and PSVR and it’s crossplay between all of them.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy the index. Pimax might go out of business tomorrow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

What do you believe is "Unknown" here, in the Steam survey?

Rift S or Index?

Monoculus rift

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

canyoneer posted:

Also, please add this image to the OP

Lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

canyoneer posted:

Also, please add this image to the OP

It is shameful to post this without an accompanying review of Gorn, the game most likely to cause this scene

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nektu posted:

Is this based on something or just a general remark?

It’s based on the fact that they’re a kickstarter company who sells super niche high end products inside of an already super niche high end category. Reviews run from middling to amazing for the same headset. It just doesn’t inspire confidence.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, potentially messing with user metadata or anything that can be construed as such will not be tolerated on a Facebook platform.

I’m still sort of shocked that Carmack works there. His ideals seem to run directly contrary to Facebooks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:hfive:

That game really is a hangout simulator first, you just happen to play poker while you hang out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Extremely accurate simulation

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This thread isn’t busy enough to have hardware or software talk get lost. It would be the same people in each thread anyway

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now I have to try payday VR. Thanks thread!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Local multiplayer VR is also just called sports. Hope this helps

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sorry, I forgot to append my post with :corsair:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yes I love lightgun games

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The complaints of scale seem to be based around the Index. It seems like Oculus, Vive and WMR folks don’t have issues

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wheezle posted:

I've just switched to a Rift S from a Vive and I'm now noticing some rather problematic FPS drops in Beat Saber that weren't there before. I know the resolution is a little higher now, but surely a 2080 Super should be able to handle that, right?

Is playing SteamVR games on Rift known to come with performance issues? I guess otherwise it could just be the added CPU load of the rift's tracking cameras, maybe?

Did you set “-vrmode oculus” in the steam launch options?

right click the game in Steam > properties > set launch options > type in "-vrmode oculus" without quotes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wheezle posted:

Thanks, this seems to have done the trick or at least has had a nice placebo effect.

Yeah there are some wonky things that change when you don’t set the vrmode correctly and it seems to differ between headset models. My OG Rift for instance refused to vibrate when I hit blocks until I set that mode

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At this point it’s probably best to wait for Black Friday as I’m sure some WMR headsets will go real cheap

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Generally when you provide sales data you specify how you got it

They were debunked last quarter, too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao

big head crew :hfive:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

https://twitter.com/qtpop_twitch/status/1189229134544867328?s=21

Bunch more content coming soon but holy heck pistol whip is amazing. Seriously check it out. Saq will probably be showing up to say “ya dude it’s amazing” anytime now.

Oh, so it’s a rail shooter? Does it feel like a light gun game? Forced movement plus first person shooting really sounds like a light gun game and if so I’m buying it because I love me some light gun games

LIGHT GUN GAMES!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK, thats good because motion when you don't request it is usually barf city

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When I saw look aim in the YouTube video I cancelled the rockstar loader download.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thoatse posted:

V-racer is cool and good... went from playing straddling an ottoman to collecting old motorcycle parts and cobbling together an adult hobby horse and the fun almost outweighs the shame :v:

Post ur rig

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is siiiiick. Love it.

Yeah, my wife would kill me if I started making a riding rig to go with my sim racing rig

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fuzz posted:

You could always use the argument, "well, I could just a get a real motorcycle instead..."

Lmao I have 4 real motorcycles in my garage already, a fake one in our media room would be pushing it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rectus posted:

That issue is easily fixable by only requiring the host (or any player) to own the DLC.

Yeah that is easy except in the history of all games on any system no one has done it yet.

Why buy the dlc if you only play multiplayer with friends and one of them owns it. It’s better (monetarily) to take the call of duty route and fragment your player base on DLC and make them pay to play. It’s lovely, absolutely, but also it forces players into DLC purchases

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Sorry but that's hilariously wrong.

Payday 2 for one, but there are many others.

Weirdly ignorant and arrogant post.

Why buy... dude do some quick googling this thread doesn't have time to educate you on the basics of video game economics and business models. But you are talking out your rear end 100%.

Hmm I guess I haven’t played the games that do it or bought the textbook that explains the invisible hand of video games.

I know your time is precious and wasted on explanations in light of such a huge ignorant and arrogant mood

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The invisible hand is an economic concept and you implied your time was being wasted with my arrogant attitude :confused:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BadMedic posted:

Bit late to the discussion, but I like that H3VR only has hotdogs to shoot. Real guns with realistic handling shooting humanoid targets would be too much for me.

It's weird. Games like Doom 2016 are no issue, but I straight up can't handle the violence in blade and sorcery.

This is called empathy. It’s a good thing to have

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

You don't have "this is real life" circuits hardwired into your brain, you do have "this is a recognizable human face" circuits hardwired into your brain. I think VR is going to open up new questions in the "fantasy vs reality" space because of how truly convincing it is on a subconscious level.

I'm not arguing if you kill people in games you're gonna be a serial killer, but shooting someone in VR is fundamentally different from pressing the left mouse button to shoot someone in the center of your monitor

It’s this. Blade and sorcery videos make me squirm, as did that walking dead VR video. If I was in the HMD I’m sure I would nope the gently caress out.

Bring on the big rear end VR Spiders and whatever, love it. But the “that person is really there in front of you” aspect that VR brings about is unsettling to me when I have to kill that person.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are we talking “baby driver” type shooting on the beat with pistol whip? Because that sounds awesome

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Walrus posted:

wow, extremely strong Half Life vibes

Th big Gordon mood

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just saw an ad for echo arena/oculus during the Packers game :psypop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just keep playing iracing, beat saber, rec room and pokerstars forever and that’s my plan

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BMan posted:

John Carmack will not, in fact, program an AGI

Well not with that attitude

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who used to drive a forklift, this extremely speaks to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unless you plan to have a 1000km long cable for your quest, the difference between fiber and copper doesn’t really matter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valve has gone on record saying a big part of the reason that they havent made a new half life game (3 or otherwise) is because the first two are looked at as absolute essential classics. They captured lightning in a bottle and they have publicly stated that they wont make another half life game until they're confident that they have it nailed to the quality of the first two.

What this DOESNT mean is "valve wont make a new half life unless its a clone of the first two", its about quality standards and industry impact. Yes, modern games do half life stuff better than half life did, but the impact of the games on release absolutely cannot be overstated. There was nothing like them.

Thats what they have said they want to recapture.

Also, a new half life game is such a huge event in the gaming world that you can bet that within 24 hours someone will have patched it to run 2d, even if the new whizbang features get turned into sierra-style point and click stuff, people will want to experience the story, and therefore will do anything they can to get it on a regular monitor. I can all but promise that.

Either way, I think Valve would not be calling this a flagship game, or a half life game if they werent reasonably sure they had recaptured the lightning in their bottle. And monitor users will definitely get to play this game, either officially down the road, or with mods. Those are my predictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not if they're still actively trying to push VR. Software exclusives are a big part of encouraging hardware sales, and a VR-exclusive Half-Life game is going to have a lot of people piss and moan about VR at first before they bite the bullet and start dropping cash on a Quest or Index.

Hence why I said “or with mods”