Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Ahoyhoy, I just got an oculus quest, and Beat Saber and Superhot VR. Is there anything else crazily worth playing? I did like the Room on my phone whenever it came out. Kind of wondering how long the VR version would last, is it completely different from The Room in terms of puzzles, and also are sales frequent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

SCheeseman posted:

It's hard to give recommendations without a general idea of what you're after.

The Room VR is well regarded and is an original game, not a port, so it's puzzles are unique.

Sales on Quest aren't frequent or particularly generous as they're selling the headset at a discount, making up for it through store revenue. The best bargains are usually cross-buy games that get discounted for the Rift.

Well, I think at this point a full speed shooter would be too much for me. Something that demonstrates VR well? in terms of manipulation of a 3d world, that's not too fast moviing. Thanks. I'm probably also going to get Tetris effect too fwiw.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

SCheeseman posted:

Eleven Table Tennis is pretty essential. It's more of a simulator than a game made by a very small team, but it's a hell of a simulator. It's perfectly comfortable, no artificial locomotion at all.

Actually I thought that would be massively fast moving. I'm basically one eyed so my depth perception is non existent. Will have a look though thanks!

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I just got the Oculus Quest 3. Unfortunately I don't have a PC at the moment for passthrough.

I'm familiar with and like Beat Saber and I expect you to die. Got the pack in Asgard's Wrath 2. What else should I be thinking of? I also tried Les Mills bodything and that was good. What's a good fun game in the realm of:

1) Escape Room puzzle solving

2) a good shooter, online not essential

3) a HEY WOW THAT LOOKS GREAT mixed reality game.

4) anything else that doesn't fit in the above categories but is still good.

I'm going to put on Sidequest VR also.

Actually while I think of it: I put on YoutubeVR and thought 'Hey, I'll watch Lord of the rings (which I had purchased) like it was IMAX' (or closest I can get) and it's in 480p. What the gently caress is up there?

Thanks!

Von Linus fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 16, 2024

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is that stress sweat or exercise sweat lol?

I also ended up getting a Supernatural subscription after the recommendations upthread lol. It really fills a specific niche in terms of having music I recognize, minimal world motion or flashing lights to trigger vertigo, and movements that feel dancey enough to push my rhythm game buttons (something which Beat Saber surprisingly fell out of constantly for me lol). And honestly I appreciate how unrealistically peppy all the coaches are

Supernatural isn't available for me in Europe apparently. I wonder is it data protection or something.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I have the Quest+ for a month to see how that goes. The zombie game is decent, I've just gone back through the graveyard and have shot lots of people in the face and saved some people so that's pleasant.

I'll give the trial of Moss a go, I don't really understand how platformers would work in VR but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I beat The Room and 7th Guest back in the day. I see Room has a sequel though so I will give that a shot.

Underdogs looks good but maybe I'll put that on the long finger until I get through some of the stuff I have. Thanks again everyone.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Could I get a referral code for The Room: A Dark Matter please?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

THANKS! Using this one.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I imagine everyone has been breathlessly waiting for my vr updates:

1: I was playing Audio Trip for 43 minutes on Beginner level, and my fitbit said I burned 358 calories. I cycled to work this morning, it took 43 minutes for 7 miles (lots of stop lights) and it sad I burned 350 calories. the mind boggles. I suppose the audio trip is more all over exercise. I was amazed Bangarang was on it. I dunno, it just feels so dated.

2: I expect you to die: I had this on the Quest 1 ages ago and never got anywhere so put it down. Then I played it yesterday and nearly cleared the whole thing. It's SO charming. The real sticking point was the escape pod, didn't make the connection of what I should be doing, but once I had done it, it made sense. Just staring me in the face.

3: The Room Dark Matter: I like this a lot. it feels very tactile, and the mood is really well maintained unless your children kick a football full force into your stomach while you are lifting the lid of a sarcophagus. Might not happen to everyone. Thanks for the Discount code!

4:Pisto Whip: This really started hurting my back, it's good how vague the aiming is. I know in principle I'm going 'IN THE GENERAL DIRECTION OF' I also only really got into the rhythm of it when I was whipping dudes in the face, not shooting. I am not sure I will have synchronise the beat to the shot. But I like the aesthetic and music. It's moody and pulp, like being in a 1980s tech noir thing.

5: Until You Fall: This is less forgiving in movements than Pistol Whip, the sword positioning has to be fairly exact, but it's quite fun for all that. I am not far at all in, just the second level after crushing the difficulty Gem, which took a while to figure out, as I was trying to place the gem I had picked into the leftmost plinth, because I thought thats how you select. But I got it, then I got got.

6: loaded up a trial of Moss. It seems nice, but not like. WOW YOU MUST TRY. Well. Maybe it's WOW YOU MUST TRY but like, don't necessarily buy it. It's good, but doesnt' feel essential or immediate, or like it couldn't be done in normal view. Like, Rayman lets you do similar object manipulation in 2d, unless it gets a lot more complicated after the trial.

7: beat Saber. I just play Daft Punk ALL THE TIME. it even makes me tolerate Pharrell.

8: Floor Plan 2 is quite cute but kind of annoying. Like I expect you to die has puzzles I think 'Oh, I didn't figure that out but I should have' and Floor Plan is 'How the gently caress did anyone think of that' Like Monkey Island 2 without the joy.

9: Eye of the Temple: IS loving GREAT. it deals SO well with motion in a confined space, I lurched several times in fear at falling off a rolling thing. I would say it's a standout if you want people to see what VR can be like as a puzzler.

10:Asgards Wrath 2: I dunno. I gave it a go and I have to go back it it. It seems very expensive which is nice.

11: Red Matter: It's ok. It feels dated in terms of locomotion, and also I'm stuck which doesn't help. In the lift. At the start. The Doors open but I can't do poo poo.

12: Humanity: had it on the PS5, it 's interesting but nothing particularly 'WOW VR' about it. I think I'm firmly in the WOW ME stage and this is impressive for a sit and think game but not a VR game.

13: Demeo: I'm just poo poo at this. I use all my spells and those bastards kick the poo poo out of me, it's worse than time with my children. I like it though, I probably just need to practise. It really makes me want to force some of my friends to get headsets

14: Tea For God demo: I DON'T HAVE THE RANGE IN MY HOUSE. I don't want to go outside where actual people can see me be god. Not yet.

15: Tetris: It's good but it's tetris. I don't smoke enough for it.

16: Espire 1: VR Operative. It's weird having Solid Snake be an Australian possessing a robot, but then, the only reason Kojima didn't go that route midway through a game is probably it didn't occur to him.

17: Contractors - It's weird pulling guns off your chest and trying to aim down the sights. It is frankly all hosed up and I don't like the aiming. I've only been on the training course because it feels like people will be mean to me with some justification if I play it for real.

18:Trivia Crack World: Don't dress up a trivia game as something it's not, just give me that sweet trivia. It fees fun for a sec fishing for the answers until you realise you are a grown man and have a job.

19: Underdogs: There's a real feel of heft to the game, to the machines. I like it. My son wants to play but there are words such as gently caress and poo poo in it.

20: Gorilla Tag: My son wants me to play Gorilla Tag but it seems to be some sort of sting operation for nonces.

21: Drop Dead Dual Strike- I like this a lot. Apart from the megaphone buster thing which I used on the dude pulling my cart, the guns are fun, and you can go loving mental spinning around giving ocular patdowns and then deciding yes, they have to die.

22: Meta Horizon Worlds: I went to a virtual comedy club and it was bad then I went to a virtual haunted high school with 2 children playing and I left. It seems like a waste of time.

So that's what I've been doing. the Meta Quest + thing seems pretty good for an instant introduction to bits and bobs, but like. A lot of it seems kind of crappy. I tried Doom3, and Quake3 on the sidequest and my reaction speed is nil so maybe it's not for me.

But overall it's very impressive. I went to bed last night and put it on lying down moad and played a bit of Moss, and watched an 8k youtube video, and complained that I couldn't watched a youtube movie I paid for in proper HD, but only 480p. But still, I was lying on my back looking at a big screen. That's not so bad.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

19: There is a profanity filter coming for underdogs (might already be in, i haven't put it on my head in a minute)

20: to be fair, it doesn't groom your children, it just teaches them to be insanely racist.

19: ah good

20: well that's good to know.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Oh he's allowed say that.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had to give up on Audio Trip specifically because of the Quest 3's dismal controller tracking plus a forced level with "even more precise targeting" as a challenge lol.

Synth Riders is one of the best rhythm games on the platform for sure and allows you to easily import custom tracks without jumping through any hardware-level hoops

I did that tiny hands one. loving shite, that was. But I enjoyed the game anyway.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Speaking personally about VR, my aged mother (nearly 80) started getting into it during Covid when she was separated from us but wanted to interact. I think it does fulfil a need for people to connect who can't, but most people can. it's for the people who aren't near their friends, like replacing penpals with VR friends I guess. Or online friends, possibly I've aged out of actually connecting too much with people I don't know in real life. But not for people who are in contact with each other regularly. Unless as an optional game, but then, there are much better games to share a living space with.

Anyway It turned out I did have Synth Riders, so I tried that and it's good. I put on the mixed reality setting to check it out and it's cool how it tears a hole in the room.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Well I tried Stones of Harlath and Vacation Simulator because they are the Meta+ games of the month.

I got as far as taking a bath in vacation simulator before knocking it off. It's just weird and I don't like it. The aesthetics make me grind my teeth.

Stones of Harlath has gesture based magic attacks and some nice touches with switching between holding a spellbook in your left hand and casting with your right, or shield in left, sword in right, but the graphics are pitiful. I'm sure it's a design choice but they look like those 2d D&D games from the early 90s, Eye of the Beholder I think they were. I killed some rats and some fish people. I've never really been able to identify disinterested voice acting until now. But now I can.

I installed Movie deck for plex from the Lab, and it's fantastic. Horrific interface, like a 3d mixing desk maybe which you can switch to a slightly less horrific 2d implementation, but I can stream from my plex subs with it, and watch movies in ENORMOUS scale. I have a 75 inch tv at home, but this is bigger(from my perception) the quality seems fine. The only issue I've noticed really apat from the front end is that I have Lord of the Rings in 6.1 sound and the headphones aren't picking up the spoken audio at all, just the orchestral stuff. Everything else seems fine. Dunno if that's down to how plex is serving the audio or how the app is picking it up. But yeah. It's a standout app if you have access to plex but are not running your own server, and are headset based rather than using a PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Enderzero posted:

Man sometimes vr just leads to the weirdest awesome experiences. I was on Bigscreen and joined a euro league room. Bunch of UK types, many who know each other. The game ended almost right away so now I’m watching Eurovision with them and god drat if it don’t feel like I’m in a pub right now.

How does Bigscreen work? can you just search for rooms to watch stuff in with people you don't know? I'm kind of curious about that as an experience. I wouldn't mind watching the last day of the league in VR maybe, dunno if I can get to the pub.