Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So this was actually good? The ads made it look awful, and no other attempt to build on the story had been even tolerable. I think they had Dr. Manhattan hanging out with Batman a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rorschach’s journal as the Turner Diaries of that world sounds like a nice touch.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thom and the Heads posted:

Guess you missed the line from his diary where he mentions "race traitors" lol

It’s on the first page. It’s parodied in the op of this thread.

Edit: oh no I’m wrong. It’s “politicians,” right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You can’t make a story about race in America and have police be the good guys. Not unless you’re stupid on the level of those game of thrones guys who tried to do the “what if the confederates won?” prestige show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MaoistBanker posted:

the noose, the fact that bass reeves wore an outfit similar... and look at lou gosset's junior's wardrobe colors! the man is hooded justice! Very interested to see how they whitewash the first costumed vigilante being african american

Hooded Justice is white in the comic. You can see his skin through they eyeholes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

OK, so here's a question I have regarding the whole Hooded Justice thing:

In the second look at Under the Hood we get (after issue 2 of the comic), Hollis Mason mentions that Hooded Justice expressed admiration for Hitler's third reich, but then he posits a theory about the strongman that died supposedly being Hooded Justice, who would have been on the run to avoid giving his real identity because he was an east german/communist agent? Those two things don't seem to jibe (unless there's something I'm missing).

He said that’s what the crazy anticommunist newspaper said, the one that later prints the super antisemitic cartoon. All that’s certain is his body washed up with a bullet to the back of the head.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

i think it is wrong to take characters from a beloved story by a beloved author and use them to your own ends

what, no i love extraordinary league of gentleman, what does that have to do with anything?

edit: lost girls nope never heard of it

What about Marvelman, Superman, Batman, Swamp Thing, and Watchmen?

EDIT: I guess you said beloved, while his career is spent trawling through trash they’ll let him do whatever with. Except Charlton comics, I guess. They were too valuable.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 22, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why is Ozymandias British now? In the book he was born in America to german refugees. Something’s weird with that beyond allowances for good casting, since he’s also in a conspicuously British Isles setting inconsistent with the source material—and if there’s a whole location unit in Wales for his scenes, there will probably be a lot of action there. Obviously, the perfect villain for a black American hero is an old British man in a mansion in Britain.

There’s also a black Dollar Bill in the framed ad in the white supremacists’ hideout, which is a conspicuously weird thing for white supremacists to have around, but if there’s a black Dollar Bill along with the white one in the tv show, maybe there can be a 100-year-old black Hooded Justice in the same town.

What was the book Captain Metropolis had on the table in the cartoon on tv? Is that some appendices poo poo I skipped over as a teen?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

The cop taking his eyes off the suspect at the beginning was very dumb. Also I would think standard procedure for pulling people over would be different in a world where police didn't have ready access to weapons. His car was like 10 feet away from the perps truck. If you seriously believe someone is armed and may intend to kill you then parking your car 10 feet away and taking your eyes off of them is really stupid.

I guess I'm just having the same difficult time many people are in framing the police as victims in a "liberal" society.

That scene is meant to play with your sympathies: a white man being treated by a black cop as black men are treated by white cops, and then the cop’s unjust behavior ends up being justified. It’s a journey.

As others have said, the narrative of the season will probably involve the lead cop lady discovering through investigation that the cops are not in fact good and somehow serve the same ends as the white supremacists. The old black man who escaped the Tulsa riots (where there was a silent film playing about a black hero who exposes the crimes of a local sheriff) probably did not lynch the chief because he was a good person.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's a "Pirate Jenny" listed in the credits. What character is that? The owlship pilot? Cops can just take on superhero names in this show?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Am I wrong, or did the shot of Dr. Manhattan on Mars show him building a replica of Veidt's castle estate hideout and turning it into dust?

It did. Also in the preview the long-haired kid has a dollhouse-sized model of it in his room.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

post of an old timey suit, in the racists' HQ, with supe who caught a black kid. Must be a memorial to the good old days for them

That’s Dollar Bill from the book. At first glance it seemed that he was black as well as maybe part of a franchise situation, but that could be lighting, as you’re right that white supremacists would likely not want pictures of a black Dollar Bill.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

Not his daughter, but yeah, I agree.

It was interesting to use that as a way to show how stressed he is by the situation and people being worried about the stress and not him specifically doing drugs.

I was 100% had me expecting a bombing or commando assault because of “Unforgettable” playing in the background. I guess the movie is fair play for callbacks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

What the gently caress was the point of the polar bear

His name is Panda and he seems to be disrespected for his close adherence to the rules, so maybe he’s a sort of hint that the police are really bad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

drat i cant tell if im being joked on here, but i meant the polar bear from :lost:

I was joking on you, but I believe the polar bear was originally used to turn the wheel in the ice cave that made the island go back in time. (This is completely serious and not a joke)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought Moore used an actual photo to specify the smile on Mars, but that might be backwards.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

The Lost thread is where I cut my teeth on SA. I forgot all about the exploding engine smoke monster gif. I liked all the stick figure Lost avatars. I'm excited to watch Watchmen tonight!

“Locke is controls sand monster” will always be the best post in TVIV history.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’d love those albums, but I don’t have a turntable. Are they going to be downloadable or on cd or anything?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The best thing about the Snyder movie was a contest they ran where people made 80s-style commercials for in-story products and uploaded them to a WB youtube channel. I believe the winner got to remake the ad with a Warner crew and a few ended up on Veidt’s monitor bank at the end. Maybe the Nostalgia commercial in the intro was the remade winner.

They were all pretty funny and very period-accurate. There was a really good one with Veidt’s Crimebusters toys that he’s trying to make.

I hope they’re all still up somewhere.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Preston Waters posted:

Folks, "Unforgettable" was in the movie because it was in the comics. It was literally on the TV commercial when Comedian gets his rear end beaten.

No it isn’t. It does appear for one panel when Dan and Laurie attempt sad gently caress number one, as part of a commercial for Nostalgia.

Blake’s death scene is silent each time it appears. There’s nothing visible on the tv except a vague human shape.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

My hot fan theory is why is it breaking news that Dr. Manhattan is on Mars he's been on Mars for like 30 years.

He left for another galaxy at the end of the book. I thought maybe it was a switcheroo and that was archival footage, but there was no cable news in 1985.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The problem with writing a surprise into your story is that people will always guess it unless it’s dumb.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Agent355 posted:

Changing your script because some rear end in a top hat on reddit guessed it is a guaranteed way to make a bad script. Just let the dude be smug about guessing it and everybody who didn't read that reddit thread won't even care or notice and the show would still be good.

And also people will watch years later if it’s good. I shouldn’t say that it’s actually a problem.

Has Lost had any staying power at all? Do zoomers ever watch it?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

we keep saying liberlism, but, is it actually liberlism? Or is is progressivism? captial L liberalism is about the free market getting to shape the world, not individual rights to people. the show seems to be more about individual liberties.

I think the critique would be that no show with content requiring that kind of warning should be allowed on television, and yet it makes money so of course the market must be served.

Another way of understanding those warnings is that entertainment in that world is much more horrific and over-the-top than our HBO titty and dragons programs, rather than that there’s an excessive nanny state.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Jeremy Irons pick a tomato from a tree, take a bite, and squeeze it in his hand? What was that? Genetic engineering hint?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That Rorschach’s Journal cover is 100% based on the cover of the Turner Diaries.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why would a cop call herself Pirate Jenny? I guess cops have no comprehension of irony, much like the capitalists who made a Black Freighter motel. Hopefully the slogan for the rewards card is “why do they spare that one?”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

Ah yeah that was probably him trying to test for a way out and the Game Warden appeared to put him in line.

I’d imagine the Mars phone to Dr. Manhattan is probably involved in how that plot winds up, then.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lol that Lindelof is back to doing a weekly podcast where he’ll agIn put himself in the position of talking about but not revealing information from future episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Manhattan also said that he was going to go to another galaxy. I wonder if that’s really him on mars at all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the eye a klan thing? Keene’s father was in the kkk with the sheriff’s father?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

I can't escape knowing the context that this show creator thinks progressive and regressive governments inevitably end up creating equally undesirable dystopias. I watched the pilot not knowing this and enjoyed it, but now that it's in my mind I just can't unsee it.

I don’t know that we’ve seen any leftists or leftist ideas in the show? It seems to be a fantasy version of our real, horrible world that runs just about as well. Maybe there is slightly less tolerance for white supremacist terrorists?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I really only see third-way liberalism and conservatism on the show so far. Even Sister Night is currently a liberal.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

It's this, at least for me. The show hasn't given any screen time to portraying reparations as a Good Thing, which they are. The only consequences for reparations in this world are extremely negative (they inspire extreme racist violence and terrorism, and contribute to a huge cultural / ethnic divide that's tearing the nation apart).

Same with a largely disarmed police force. The only consequence shown has been to enable said terrorists to gleefully and off handedly murder cops while the naive limp wristed liberal (Panda) sits in the rear and enables said murder. No discussion about how citizens not being shot in their own homes by police might be a net gain for society.

Maybe I'm wrong and these discussions will be had in the remaining episodes but it isn't looking good right now. Lindelof's interviews are not a good sign either, with his now multiple references to "both sides.”

These things really seem like third-way liberal solutions that do nothing to fix the actual problems. Despite rules governing how they shoot people, the police are clearly portrayed as amoral thugs who turn dogs on people and black-bag them to secret torture prisons. The dogs especially are evocative of nazis and the stasi, as well as state violence used against the civil rights movement in the US. The whole secret torture dungeon from this episode looked like Abu Ghraib. The cops stand in formation while watching the terrorist video in the pilot, which is an extremely fascist visual right out of Leni Riefenstahl. Also the police chief is pretty clearly part of a fascist conspiracy that feeds and uses the terrorists.

And there are ways of providing reparation that would do nothing to fix racism that most advocates of reparation are careful to warn about. Reparation would be good if done correctly, but it remains to be seen if it was done well in this world. Plenty of reactionaries are in favor of reparations because that would allow them pretense to dismantle civil rights laws and yell the n-word. We know the senator here is probably a reactionary if not a fascist conspirator.

It seems like a third-way liberal utopia where real solutions are as impossible to find as they are in our lovely world, ie a dystopia.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s a different anniversary each time, increasing by 1 each segment. But we don’t know if it’s days, months, years, or what. It probably took some time to work out the leather spacesuit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

We know that there are human psychics in this world because Veidt used the brain of one to make the squid, and the Game Warden is pretty clearly connected to the black freighter, which Veidt has dreams about in the book despite almost certainly never having read the comic. I think the prison Veidt is in is the creation of someone other than Dr. Manhattan.

It shouldn’t be a mind prison because (if I’m remembering right) we start some scenes with Mr. Philips or Ms. Cruikshanks prior to Veidt entering the scene. Not strictly evidence, but it would be a cheap move to not have every scene start with him if he’s being mindfucked by a psychic or some matrix dealie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If Dr Manhattan made Veidt’s prison, why is there black freighter comic poo poo all over? I feel like he wouldn’t use metaphors.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That dildo was really low tech compared to the rest of the world. Surely they have enough reference footage to extrapolate what it would be like hard. I guess it’s world building, like how they don’t have an internet or cell phones.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Except for moments of frustration, he seems pretty manic most of the time. Dude’s 100% off his rocker.

What if time doesn’t pass in his bubble? That story could be decades or centuries in.

I don’t think the place is his design, either. The Black Freighter poo poo seems designed to mock him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Lol you don't think there'd be a domestic terrorist response to reperations? Its like the most believable thing. White guys would get so mad

Yeah—there are domestic terrorists right now responding to black people existing, many of them working as police. I don’t see how the show makes reparation look bad either.